Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:43:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Substitutions  (Read 1984 times)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Substitutions
« on April 20, 2024, 05:46:56 pm by tommy toes »
A really brave decision by Grant to take both full backs off,but what a masterstroke it turned out to be.
Big Tom, Kyle and Tommy were instrumental in getting the win.
I’m f***ing exhausted.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:08:05 pm by tommy toes »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Substitions
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2024, 05:48:37 pm by Filo »
A massive gamble but paid off, we needed the win and he went for it, after that point you could see the lads were on a mission

Tazemma

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2024, 05:52:22 pm by Tazemma »
Tom Anderson was fantastic for 30 mins, Man of the match for me. Won every header in injury time when it came into the box.

He was sweeping forward, closing down the keeper, he’s been bang average for last two years

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2024, 05:54:10 pm by Upton Rover »
Completely changed the game today, we stopped the long ball game, when they came on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2024, 05:55:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Westbrooke is a good player but he slows us down. Maybe as a plan b if we need to keep possession but our game now is all about getting ball forward quickly. Very quickly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2024, 05:56:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tom Anderson was fantastic for 30 mins, Man of the match for me. Won every header in injury time when it came into the box.

He was sweeping forward, closing down the keeper, he’s been bang average for last two years

Agreed. He was colossal

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2024, 06:07:10 pm by GazLaz »
Anderson was incredible when he came on.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2024, 06:08:58 pm by GazLaz »
Westbrooke is a good player but he slows us down. Maybe as a plan b if we need to keep possession but our game now is all about getting ball forward quickly. Very quickly.

Barrow were fantastic out of possession. They squeezed the life out of us first half. The game didn’t suit ZW. Going more direct was a great game plan from Grant.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2024, 06:14:31 pm by Prez »
Anderson was incredible. Reminded me of a vintage Alan Hansen. He was everywhere, and was making defence splitting passes.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2024, 06:17:45 pm by Spud »
What a gamble, both attacking full backs playing well but f**k it, let's go three at the back. Lovely that Kyle Hurst turned up big time today.
Well done Grant.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2024, 06:18:25 pm by PDX_Rover »

Barrow were fantastic out of possession. They squeezed the life out of us first half. The game didn’t suit ZW. Going more direct was a great game plan from Grant.

Spot on. They pressed us and we didn’t really get going until the switch. After that, superb. Made the win all the better IMO. Seeing the problem and killing it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 20, 2024, 06:21:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It was clever. We didn't have enough bodies up the top end and McCann made that happen with the changes.

We could easily have been done on the counter but like my wife said on the way back, we had nothing to lose and we can go for it.  McCann bought the ticket and won the lottery and the rollover.

We shouldn't underestimate how much having the bench we have is making a difference for us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 20, 2024, 06:22:17 pm by Chris Black come back »
They were hot pressing but we noticeably were not good at moving the ball long and early. They actually allowed us ok possession fairly deep in our half. The massive unit upfront was not pressing us. Second half we were far better at moving quickly and early from deeper.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2024, 06:23:34 pm by Arsenal Of The North »

Westbrook was played out of position, he’s more suited to the Craig role, biggins far better at being the box to box midfielder.

Grant nailed the subs today. The subs to their credit made a massive impact

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2024, 06:24:14 pm by GazLaz »
They were hot pressing but we noticeably were not good at moving the ball long and early. They actually allowed us ok possession fairly deep in our half. The massive unit upfront was not pressing us. Second half we were far better at moving quickly and early from deeper.

Yep. They’ve watched us slice through presses at will recently and did great denying us space in their half.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2024, 06:56:29 pm by CJK »
Proper Manager made those decisions today.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Substitutions
« Reply #16 on April 20, 2024, 07:24:23 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Yeah game wasn’t for Westbrooke and Craig because they were a serious outfit off the ball. Biggins and Rowe are a bit more all action which is what was needed.

Have to say Bailey was massive today. The subs, Ironsides and Haks will rightly get loads of credit but for me he was MoM

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2024, 07:27:35 pm by ncRover »
It was really genius from McCann. And kudos to the players because it’s been ages since we played the back 3.

Yes Maldini changed the game but Hurst was also exceptional.

That cross from Tommy for the 3rd *chef’s kiss*

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 20, 2024, 07:36:18 pm by RoversInSpain »
Possibly the best substitution decisions in Rovers history. It was incredible. We were getting back in the match, starting to move it quickly, rather than play slow possession stuff in front of their superbly organised defence
Then Grant went for it.
Wow!

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 20, 2024, 07:39:16 pm by andysly »
Anderson - Burnley Baresi

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 20, 2024, 07:39:26 pm by Campsall rover »
I thought he had lost the plot when he took both full backs off and played 3 centre backs.
Tom Anderson started playing like Beckenbaur.

We took control and scored 4 goals.

Was that luck or was it Genius from GM
I will go for the latter. He could walk on water right now I reckon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:47:00 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 20, 2024, 07:47:21 pm by scawsby steve »
I said to the daughter at half time that we'll now really see what GM is made of. We'd been outplayed by Barrow in every department, especially midfield.

What GM did was pure tactical genius. We ripped Barrow apart after that, and I honestly believe now that we will get promoted; and if we don't, we'll win this league next season.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 20, 2024, 07:51:33 pm by MachoMadness »
Anderson was playing as a 10 at points today, I've never seen that from him. He was overlapping and creating chaos when we overloaded their defence.

McCann got all his subs perfect today. Hurst was outstanding I thought.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 20, 2024, 07:58:02 pm by Spud »
Anderson - Burnley Baresi

Love this

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 20, 2024, 08:01:55 pm by drfchound »
Anderson was playing as a 10 at points today, I've never seen that from him. He was overlapping and creating chaos when we overloaded their defence.

The change of formation changed the game as you say, but what about that slide rule Anderson pass to Hursty.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 20, 2024, 08:08:47 pm by drfcsteve »
It was absolutely the right thing to do to get 2 up top against them and at the same time deal with their hoof ball tactics. So glad for McCann it paid off massively.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 20, 2024, 08:10:12 pm by MachoMadness »

The change of formation changed the game as you say, but what about that slide rule Anderson pass to Hursty.
Spectacular wasn't it. He was playing with complete freedom today, he seemed to be everywhere.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 20, 2024, 08:11:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
Also a word for Olowu who didn't let Acquah bully him. So many times we've been done over by big lumps like him. Yes he scored but at no point was he dominating Olowu on 1:1.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 20, 2024, 08:14:38 pm by The Dav »
Do we think Tommy will get offered a deal ? He made a massive impact today !

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 20, 2024, 08:14:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
Barrow were a bunch of Carthorses, I mentioned it to my mate then we had the Subs, cracking manager

TinyPortal © 2005-2012