Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:32:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Elderly drivers  (Read 5200 times)

jucyberry

• VSC Member
Elderly drivers
« on February 10, 2010, 06:41:14 am by jucyberry »
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2847462/Car-crash-kills-baby-and-hospitalises-mum.html

I make no apologies, this makes me as mad as hell..

why do we still let people this age drive? My village is full of them, half cant see over the top of the steering wheel. it is wrong. personally I think you should compulsively (is that a word?its too early to think spelling)  have your car taken after  a certain age and replaced with a biddy buggy, they have rain covers after all.
we had an accident outside the shop the other day, old boy could barely see, backed into a  parked car just missing the person getting into it, when challenged he said I'll just turn round, he never came back. His licence had been taken but he didn't want to give his motor up. it is disgraceful.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re:Elderly drivers
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2010, 08:52:59 am by 5minstogo »
jucyberry wrote:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2847462/Car-crash-kills-baby-and-hospitalises-mum.html

why do we still let people this age drive? My village is full of them, half cant see over the top of the steering wheel. it is wrong. personally I think you should compulsively (is that a word?its too early to think spelling)  have your car taken after  a certain age and replaced with a biddy buggy, they have rain covers after all.
we had an accident outside the shop the other day, old boy could barely see, backed into a  parked car just missing the person getting into it, when challenged he said I'll just turn round, he never came back. His licence had been taken but he didn't want to give his motor up. it is disgraceful.

One of my pet hates this.  In my view when you get a free bus pass, you should hand in your driving licence.  The amount of accidents/near misses I've seen caused by some doddery old coot piddling along.  It appears their favourite weapon is whacking the t**t into reverse instead of 1st gear and shooting off backwards, taking five minutes to realise what the hell is going on.

I was on Morley Road on Saturday morning and this old dear tried to pull into a space at the side of the road. For some reason she ignored the parked car nearest to her and drove down the side of it. Owner of said parked car was none too pleased but she was totally oblivious.

Don't even get me started on people driving in the middle lane of the motorway, or idiots who can't follow lanes round a roundabout.

GRRRRRR

Actually add to that people who overtake you on the motorway and then reduce speed meaning you spend your (or their) entire journey, pointlessly overtaking and being overtaken by them.  Just maintain your pigging speed!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2010, 09:21:22 am by Barmby Rover »
I would like to see regular driving tests given to ALL drivers every ten years, with the possibility of losing your licence. Older drivers can be ok so long as they are fit and healthy, younger drivers can act like complete idiots. The same applies the other way round. It does amaze me that we do very little to combat the carnage that happens on our roads.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2010, 09:44:11 am by Nudga »
Don't even get me started on people driving in the middle lane of the motorway, or idiots who can't follow lanes round a roundabout.

GRRRRRR

Actually add to that people who overtake you on the motorway and then reduce speed meaning you spend your (or their) entire journey, pointlessly overtaking and being overtaken by them. Just maintain your pigging speed

Well said that man, these are my pet hates as i've said before. The middle lane bas**rds are always asians, old blokes and women. And they are all look at you gone out when you under take them.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2010, 10:12:15 am by Mike_F »
I've taken to pulling into the middle lane behind them andflashing my lights. It usually makes all but the most dilatory f**kers shift. If they still don't move I've been known to give 'em a blast on the horn as I pass in lane three then cut right across them back into lane one. It's usually women too scared of changing lanes who still don't get it. They have a panic attack joining the motorway, spend an age getting into the middle lane to overtake a wagon then stay there until a mile from their exit when the nerves start jangling again.

If they're not confident enough to drive properly they shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. When was the last time you heard a bloke saying \"I can't drive there, I'd have to go on the motorway!\"? Not a f**king chance.

Oh and these cretins who overtake then slow down; good point Gaz. I usually stick the cruise control on if traffic's not too heavy and it infuriates me when I know I'm maintaining my speed but some prick on an ego trip can't stand me overtaking so he goes back round me and slows down again. Tossers.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2010, 01:55:29 pm by Filo »
Them t**ts that stick in the outside lane on Wheatley Hall Road going out of town and doing 30mph get my back up! I mean, staying in the outside lane because you`re going to turn right at the roundabout 3 miles down the road at Mcdonalds, it`s t**ts like these that should have thier licence revoked!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 10, 2010, 06:09:46 pm by Dagenham Rover »
t**ts that rigidly stick to 30mph in a 30 limit (no problem with that bit), then when the road goes to a 60 limit they speed up to.................all of 40mph on the type of road thats perfectly ok to do the speed limit, but just too dangerous to overtake on.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 10, 2010, 06:25:41 pm by jucyberry »
Mike_F wrote:
I've taken to pulling into the middle lane behind them andflashing my lights. It usually makes all but the most dilatory fcukers shift. If they still don't move I've been known to give 'em a blast on the horn as I pass in lane three then cut right across them back into lane one. It's usually women too scared of changing lanes who still don't get it. They have a panic attack joining the motorway, spend an age getting into the middle lane to overtake a wagon then stay there until a mile from their exit when the nerves start jangling again.

If they're not confident enough to drive properly they shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. When was the last time you heard a bloke saying \"I can't drive there, I'd have to go on the motorway!\"? Not a fcuking chance.

Oh and these cretins who overtake then slow down; good point Gaz. I usually stick the cruise control on if traffic's not too heavy and it infuriates me when I know I'm maintaining my speed but some prick on an ego trip can't stand me overtaking so he goes back round me and slows down again. Tossers.

It would frighten the wits out of me.. If I was supposed to drive I'd have wheels.. it's what trains and buses were invented for in my opinion.I'm more than happy on my bike.....

We had another old duffer incident on Monday aparently.. Daft old bat ran back over a parked motorbike, even tho the poor chap was shouting NOoooooo.. He had to run after her, she didnt even notice what she had done..

Yet if that had been a kid learning to drive can you imagine all the clucking about boy racers ect? I know they can be just as hazardous, but old people really do take the buscuit I think.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2010, 10:08:45 pm by BobG »
They can't even drive bloody shopping trolleys! Downright dangerous some of those old biddies. And they get real snotty when you suggest they take an eyesight test too.

BobG

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 11, 2010, 12:09:56 am by MrFrost »
5minstogo wrote:
jucyberry wrote:

One of my pet hates this.  In my view when you get a free bus pass, you should hand in your driving licence.  The amount of accidents/near misses I've seen caused by some doddery old coot piddling along.  It appears their favourite weapon is whacking the t**t into reverse instead of 1st gear and shooting off backwards, taking five minutes to realise what the hell is going on.

I was on Morley Road on Saturday morning and this old dear tried to pull into a space at the side of the road. For some reason she ignored the parked car nearest to her and drove down the side of it. Owner of said parked car was none too pleased but she was totally oblivious.

GRRRRRR

Actually add to that people who overtake you on the motorway and then reduce speed meaning you spend your (or their) entire journey, pointlessly overtaking and being overtaken by them.  Just maintain your pigging speed!

Funny about your story on the parking incident. Some fool did the same thing on Sandy Lane before the Rovers game with Reading. A guy in a ford went down the side of a 207. He got out, had a look at his own car and started to walk off. I asked him what he thought he was doing and denied it was even him driving!

I left a note on the 207's car with the other persons reg number. They had a Rovers air freshner. Wonder if it was anyone on the forum?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2010, 12:14:01 am by MrFrost »
Mike_F wrote:
I've taken to pulling into the middle lane behind them andflashing my lights. It usually makes all but the most dilatory fcukers shift. If they still don't move I've been known to give 'em a blast on the horn as I pass in lane three then cut right across them back into lane one. It's usually women too scared of changing lanes who still don't get it. They have a panic attack joining the motorway, spend an age getting into the middle lane to overtake a wagon then stay there until a mile from their exit when the nerves start jangling again.

If they're not confident enough to drive properly they shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. When was the last time you heard a bloke saying \"I can't drive there, I'd have to go on the motorway!\"? Not a fcuking chance.

I think on relfection of this, motorway driving should be made compulsary in lessons and on tests. They don't teach you how to drive on a motorway and for some people, it can be very daunting. Or there are those who just cant drive, plain and simple.

Like the driving instructor who pulled out on my yesterday whilst talking on a frigging mobile. Massive pet hate are pr!cks on their mobile while driving. Get a bluetooth stereo for christs sake.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2010, 10:48:04 pm by i_ateallthepies »
5minstogo wrote:
jucyberry wrote:

!

This sounds like my missus, never moves from the centre lane on motorways and hasn't a clue on roundabouts.

I tried mentioning it once, only the once mind.... she's fvckin' scary in the house as well as on the road  :woohoo:

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 13, 2010, 09:47:41 am by Barmby Rover »
MrFrost wrote:
Mike_F wrote:

I think on relfection of this, motorway driving should be made compulsary in lessons and on tests. They don't teach you how to drive on a motorway and for some people, it can be very daunting. Or there are those who just cant drive, plain and simple.

Like the driving instructor who pulled out on my yesterday whilst talking on a frigging mobile. Massive pet hate are pr!cks on their mobile while driving. Get a bluetooth stereo for christs sake.

Good idea about motorway driving, except that learners are not allowed on them. What could be done is to make a second test with pass plus becoming mandatory. Care to fork out another lump on becoming motorway qualified? A lot of folks would not, but it will come eventually I reckon.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 13, 2010, 10:02:10 am by jucyberry »
Just read that the poor girl died yesterday.

I still say that it should be a condition of getting insurance people over 65 should be tested every year, the cost could be absorbed in with the insurance, percentage refundable if they pass.  They can afford it, their insurance is lower is'nt it?
Busses and biddy buggies what is wrong with either?
I will never have any sympathy im afraid, not whilst accidents like this are happening.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012