Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:51:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Parliament to be prorogued  (Read 45175 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Parliament to be prorogued
« Reply #750 on October 08, 2019, 09:43:26 pm by bpoolrover »
They already passed the law to force the PM to ask to extend Brexit if a deal hasn’t been agreed.. the deadline for that is the EU summit in a week or so time, so nothing else can happen yet..
I get that idm that was my point all I saw since they got back was shouting and waving papers at each other, if they had not gone back what would be the difference?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #751 on October 09, 2019, 12:34:17 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I get that mate but what was achieved in the days that they were made to go back? Nothing that I can see and think it was all a bit of drama for nothing

There's a lot more happens in Parliament than just the theatricals in the Chambers. And most of it is more important.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #752 on October 09, 2019, 01:00:29 am by bpoolrover »
Yes of course but all over the media was that boris was doing it so there would not be enough time to stop no deal, they went back after the court case and did anything much to do with brexit go on? It’s a question as I don’t know, everytime I’ve seen on tv there seems about 15 people in there that’s all

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #753 on October 09, 2019, 08:54:31 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I do tend to agree, it always was a fuss about not a lot in practice.

However, given it's been found to be in contradiction to the law the most important thing is the precedent that it sets going forwards and prevents it from being done at a time when it could be seen to be more damaging.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #754 on October 09, 2019, 09:21:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It was about having Parliament available if Cummings tried any f**king about.

Perfectly simple.

Cummings had been firing out suggestions that they had a clever way identified by which they could circumvent the Benn Act. So Parliament had to be on standby to hold a confidence vote to bring down the Govt.

Turns out he was bluffing, by the look of it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #755 on October 09, 2019, 09:53:28 am by IDM »
They already passed the law to force the PM to ask to extend Brexit if a deal hasn’t been agreed.. the deadline for that is the EU summit in a week or so time, so nothing else can happen yet..
I get that idm that was my point all I saw since they got back was shouting and waving papers at each other, if they had not gone back what would be the difference?

The difference would be that Johnson would have got his way riding roughshod over legal parliamentary procedures.. what else would he have then done next.?

If you want to see what happens when one leader/party turns a democratic parliament into a dictatorship, look at Germany in 1933..

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #756 on October 09, 2019, 12:12:25 pm by bpoolrover »
Thank you idm bst and byp for your replies

TinyPortal © 2005-2012