Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:29:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson resigned  (Read 27644 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Ferguson resigned
« Reply #210 on June 05, 2018, 07:18:20 am by dickos1 »
A board with no ambition, except to keep us yo-yoing between Lg.1 and 2, unwilling to give an ambitious manager the funds to improve the side, so he walks. Silent majority will not like this as the sun shines out of the boards according to him. They can do no wrong, but the proof is there for all to see, just watch the massive investment in signing juniors this summer to "improve the squad".

You miss the quite obvious point. The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager.

You speak like DF hasn't resigned, and was in fact sacked

Exactly, the only information we’ve got is Fergie saying he’s resigned as he had no alternative, but Martin keeps implying this isn’t true

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on June 05, 2018, 07:21:29 am by DonnyOsmond »
Well the board need a statement today assuring us fans of the clubs ambition going forward.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on June 05, 2018, 07:31:08 am by Boomstick »
A board with no ambition, except to keep us yo-yoing between Lg.1 and 2, unwilling to give an ambitious manager the funds to improve the side, so he walks. Silent majority will not like this as the sun shines out of the boards according to him. They can do no wrong, but the proof is there for all to see, just watch the massive investment in signing juniors this summer to "improve the squad".

You miss the quite obvious point. The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager.

The evidence points to the opposite.
Im thinking DF forced the board to show their true colours.
We will see won't we

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on June 05, 2018, 07:31:26 am by sheffield exile1 »
Can't forgive him for taking us down with a tailspin he couldn't address then simply taking us back up to where we were Hartlepool said it all to me. The football was pedestrian at best and players like Mason were looking lost where he played them, and I still don't know what the "diamond" was an what it would achieve. More importantly to me was his lack of a true leader aka Rob Jones, Wellens etc. Copps wasn't in that mould, other strengths, but not a Roy Keane etc. My theory for what its worth is that he didn't want a strong leader as it could present a challenge to him and he didn't want that scenario, not as a manager but a challenge to tactics etc. Jut a thought? Don't wish him anything bad but I never warmed to him personally....

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on June 05, 2018, 07:32:31 am by Boomstick »
utter clap trap.  Have you got millions to invest?
The point is - they have.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on June 05, 2018, 07:34:58 am by GazLaz »
There were rumours of unrest as far back as December and anyone, Dickos especially, who suggested such was shot down as a shit stirrer. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and that pudding has just been swallowed.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on June 05, 2018, 07:35:39 am by dickos1 »
Can't forgive him for taking us down with a tailspin he couldn't address then simply taking us back up to where we were Hartlepool said it all to me. The football was pedestrian at best and players like Mason were looking lost where he played them, and I still don't know what the "diamond" was an what it would achieve. More importantly to me was his lack of a true leader aka Rob Jones, Wellens etc. Copps wasn't in that mould, other strengths, but not a Roy Keane etc. My theory for what its worth is that he didn't want a strong leader as it could present a challenge to him and he didn't want that scenario, not as a manager but a challenge to tactics etc. Jut a thought? Don't wish him anything bad but I never warmed to him personally....

Don’t you think butler was a leader?

As for mason looking lost, I thought he was our best player for the majority of last season

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on June 05, 2018, 07:36:03 am by GazLaz »
utter clap trap.  Have you got millions to invest?
The point is - they have.

The thing is that it isn’t an investment. It’s a donation. You expect to see a return on an investment.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on June 05, 2018, 07:45:33 am by DRNaith »
 Well this is interesting news to wake up to.

Unlike many of you "in the know", I will never know the reason or reasons for what has happened, just got to hope we have a good season next season, and closed season and preseason are not necessarily indicative of how the season will go.

I don't think people slating the budget have seen the budget, but I don't see the benefit in this conversation of Martin saying "you're wrong".  I understand that his hands may be tied in what can be said, but when the majority of those posts fall into two camps, one of saying "that isn't correct" or secondly, pointing out when someone's passions have clearly gone ahead of then and they've claimed something ludicrous, I think it's an approach that has gone stale with time.

This isn't to take away from the doubtless value that is brought behind closed doors, in the other direction, but where forums are used to release frustration and angst, the lack of information within what can be said can only serve to build tension rather than a link with the club.

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on June 05, 2018, 08:20:23 am by CGJ »
Ferguson will long be remembered here by his continuous practice of making decent players look poor by playing them out of position and seemingly being unable to acknowledge the fact.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on June 05, 2018, 08:23:15 am by DonnyNoel »
Comfortably on the fence with this one. Despite his success at Posh I always thought that was down to big spending that he'd never get here. On the flip side, he seemed committed to progressing the club in all aspects and seemed to speak a lot of sense. We can debate finer details like multiple keepers and dodgy contract extensions but whilst the full truth may never come out, the next few weeks will help answer a few questions in terms of where he ends up and the calibre of manager we attract.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on June 05, 2018, 08:25:32 am by dickos1 »
I think he’ll be remembered for the good signings he’s made of young players
Ie Wright, mason, beestin, whiteman, lawlor, who I’m sure will all have very good careers and we will make good money on all of them 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #222 on June 05, 2018, 08:30:24 am by silent majority »

All we know at the minute is Ferguson left of his own accord, so that certainly doesn’t suggest the board have ambition.

Their ambition will only be known when we see who the new appointment is and the players we sign

He said, 'after discussions with the board' he felt he had to resign. Having one of the best budgets in the league and finishing 16th should answer your question.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on June 05, 2018, 08:31:00 am by Metalmicky »
Etheridge, Garratt, May - all dumped and hung out after a bad performance. None of us was in training sessions and players do speak highly of him, but externally man management looked akin to small child throwing various toys from pram.

Nobody in their right mind would have kept etheridge in goal after the start he made here

I hear that Liverpool are interested in Etheridge.... :blink:

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on June 05, 2018, 08:34:48 am by wesisback »

All we know at the minute is Ferguson left of his own accord, so that certainly doesn’t suggest the board have ambition.

Their ambition will only be known when we see who the new appointment is and the players we sign

He said, 'after discussions with the board' he felt he had to resign. Having one of the best budgets in the league and finishing 16th should answer your question.
There is no evidence for the best budgets in the League as they refused to release it. It's just words.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on June 05, 2018, 08:38:18 am by Metalmicky »
I hope we get David Flitcroft in - at least we'll save on buying a new tracksuit...... :whistle:

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on June 05, 2018, 08:38:28 am by tommy toes »

Yeah this sort of confirms my feelings around it.
Which is basically the board don't trust him to spend the budget wisely.
The extention for Williams and then not playing him. The knee jerk reaction to spend God knows how much on the not very good Whiteman etc.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on June 05, 2018, 08:38:57 am by dickos1 »

That answers no questions at all,
He said he was left with no alternative but to resign, at the minute there’s only you saying he was pushed rather going of his own accord.
So maybe we will know more when the board come out with their statement, if they say they wanted him to stay but he wanted to leave then it will be obvious why he’s left

The chief executive came out in the press only a couple of weeks ago stating how happy they were with Ferguson and how excited they were with the future with the plans Ferguson had

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on June 05, 2018, 08:42:38 am by silent majority »

There is no evidence for the best budgets in the League as they refused to release it. It's just words.

Of course they've released it, they have to do it on a quarterly basis, the same as every other club in the EFL.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on June 05, 2018, 08:42:48 am by Chris Black come back »

This seems a reasonable conclusion. Putting aside the relegation, he did a serviceable job but not more than that in League One. We need someone who with decent but not spectacular budgets can push on - we always felt to be soft-peddling in this league under Ferguson.

Not sure what he was thinking though trying to take on the Board last month with so little credit in his account. SOD could bugger around with Burnley and Blades as he was SOD but Ferguson was trying to cash a cheque for a million quid with only his JSA in the account.

A decent manager for us but not someone who ever really looked like being a great manager for us.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on June 05, 2018, 08:44:24 am by DannyRovers »

Can you give us some clarity on this?

All the articles seem to point towards Fergie leaving because he wasn't happy with the budget to me. You seem to be suggesting otherwise?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on June 05, 2018, 08:45:25 am by silent majority »

He said he was left with no alternative but to resign, at the minute there’s only you saying he was pushed rather going of his own accord.
So maybe we will know more when the board come out with their statement, if they say they wanted him to stay but he wanted to leave then it will be obvious why he’s left

The chief executive came out in the press only a couple of weeks ago stating how happy they were with Ferguson and how excited they were with the future with the plans Ferguson had

You're doing it again. A) I haven't suggested he's lying, and B) I haven't said that he was pushed.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on June 05, 2018, 08:46:39 am by wesisback »

Of course they've released it, they have to do it on a quarterly basis, the same as every other club in the EFL.
Ok great cheers. Can you fire us in the right direction?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on June 05, 2018, 08:47:19 am by Chris Black come back »
It appears externally and without any direct knowledge that he did only an adequate job and probably undershot expectations, all while stirrring up in the media his desire for a major budget increase that his performance did not merit. I would guess also that this decision might have been made a few weeks earlier at the time of his meltdown in the local press, but for the very sad circumstances of his father.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on June 05, 2018, 08:47:57 am by pib »
 Can interpret it however you want. Just because Ferguson felt he had "no alternative" but to resign doesn't mean that the club has no ambition or that the budget is poor.

It might suggest that Darren Ferguson THINKS the budget is poor, but I would suggest that he's been used to having a blank cheque at Peterborough and maybe doesn't like the fact that he's got to work within more sensible parameters.

I don't think he's done much to prove he's not just a chequebook manager.

My interpretation is that he's asked the board for more money, they've told him they expect him to work with the current budget (which they clearly perceive to be sufficient), and he's not taken it well.

Whether that budget IS adequate, we'll see. Fergusons statement gives a very one-sided perspective.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on June 05, 2018, 08:49:33 am by silent majority »

Can you give us some clarity on this?

All the articles seem to point towards Fergie leaving because he wasn't happy with the budget to me. You seem to be suggesting otherwise?

What articles? You mean the FP? Hardly a source of infinite wisdom.

I've said it numerous times in the last few hours, the playing budget wasn't cut.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on June 05, 2018, 08:50:13 am by Campsall rover »
Only just heard the news this morning. Shocked as I did not see this coming. Could be a blessing in disguise as let’s face it most of the football last season was pretty dire. Tactics and formations were all over the place and players constantly being played in wrong positions.
Was happy to give him this season to see where he could take us.
Not to be so let’s get the right man in. Onwards and upwards.  :rtid:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on June 05, 2018, 08:51:11 am by dickos1 »

You're doing it again. A) I haven't suggested he's lying, and B) I haven't said that he was pushed.

Youve stated the board do have ambition which is why Ferguson isn’t here anymore and you’ve also stated he’s gone because we finished 16th with a top ten budget.

Neither of these statements agree with his statement of him resigning

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on June 05, 2018, 08:51:24 am by Cantley Rover »
Can interpret it however you want. Just because Ferguson felt he had "no alternative" but to resign doesn't mean that the club has no ambition or that the budget is poor.

It might suggest that Darren Ferguson THINKS the budget is poor, but I would suggest that he's been used to having a blank cheque at Peterborough and maybe doesn't like the fact that he's got to work within more sensible parameters.

I don't think he's done much to prove he's not just a chequebook manager.

My interpretation is that he's asked the board for more money, they've told him they expect him to work with the current budget (which they clearly perceive to be sufficient), and he's not taken it well.

Whether that budget IS adequate, we'll see. Fergusons statement gives a very one-sided perspective.

It is important therefore that the board and CEO get their act together to give us their version of "the resignation"

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #239 on June 05, 2018, 08:53:58 am by dickos1 »

Yeah this sort of confirms my feelings around it.
Which is basically the board don't trust him to spend the budget wisely.
The extention for Williams and then not playing him. The knee jerk reaction to spend God knows how much on the not very good Whiteman etc.

Williams signed a 3 year contract with us in June 2015 which has now expired.
So I’m not sure he’s ever signed an extension?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012