Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:53:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson resigned  (Read 27605 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Ferguson resigned
« Reply #240 on June 05, 2018, 08:55:34 am by Filo »
Can interpret it however you want. Just because Ferguson felt he had "no alternative" but to resign doesn't mean that the club has no ambition or that the budget is poor.

It might suggest that Darren Ferguson THINKS the budget is poor, but I would suggest that he's been used to having a blank cheque at Peterborough and maybe doesn't like the fact that he's got to work within more sensible parameters.

I don't think he's done much to prove he's not just a chequebook manager.

My interpretation is that he's asked the board for more money, they've told him they expect him to work with the current budget (which they clearly perceive to be sufficient), and he's not taken it well.

Whether that budget IS adequate, we'll see. Fergusons statement gives a very one-sided perspective.

It is important therefore that the board and CEO get their act together to give us their version of "the resignation"

I agree, you'd normally expect the usual thanks and good wishes, but in this case DF has caught everyone out by releasing a statement via the LMA, very disrespectful in my opinion and paints the board in a bad light, so in my opinion the board need to put their side of the story out

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #241 on June 05, 2018, 09:05:01 am by steve@dcfd »
Sorry to see Darren go. But that decision has been made now. The club must move quickly to bring in a competitive manager to match their ambition. Although ambition is subjective depends on the individual. It as been said before that some ones ambition may not be the same has the clubs.

The CEO reiterated again at the end of last season the club had been moved forward under DF, which goes against the insinuation that the club were dissatisfied with his performance. The CEO also said the 5 year plan was still ongoing and being consolidated in the Championship by 2022. That means in my opinion promotion by at least 2020.

So the process has begun, and if the board were not satisfied by DF then surely that process ie. talking to people could have already started.

We will only see if what is perceived as ambition when a new manager is appointed and quality players are signed.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on June 05, 2018, 09:12:26 am by DannyRovers »
A board with no ambition, except to keep us yo-yoing between Lg.1 and 2, unwilling to give an ambitious manager the funds to improve the side, so he walks. Silent majority will not like this as the sun shines out of the boards according to him. They can do no wrong, but the proof is there for all to see, just watch the massive investment in signing juniors this summer to "improve the squad".

You miss the quite obvious point. The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager.

Can you give us some clarity on this?

All the articles seem to point towards Fergie leaving because he wasn't happy with the budget to me. You seem to be suggesting otherwise?

What articles? You mean the FP? Hardly a source of infinite wisdom.

I've said it numerous times in the last few hours, the playing budget wasn't cut.

His own statement - you seem to be suggesting something very different what his statement is clearly suggesting - him being unhappy with the budget.

"The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager." - elaborate

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on June 05, 2018, 09:17:12 am by Chris Black come back »
Official statements whether issued by football clubs or governments are there to say as little as possible - not to give you the full picture. 

You do not have to be sitting at the Board table to see what has gone on here - manager without huge amounts of achievement at the club has been making case aggressively in local media about his desire for greater budget and overstepped the mark, leading to relations souring. You try going into work and telling your employers where they are going wrong and see what happens.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on June 05, 2018, 09:17:25 am by drfchound »
Can't forgive him for taking us down with a tailspin he couldn't address then simply taking us back up to where we were Hartlepool said it all to me. The football was pedestrian at best and players like Mason were looking lost where he played them, and I still don't know what the "diamond" was an what it would achieve. More importantly to me was his lack of a true leader aka Rob Jones, Wellens etc. Copps wasn't in that mould, other strengths, but not a Roy Keane etc. My theory for what its worth is that he didn't want a strong leader as it could present a challenge to him and he didn't want that scenario, not as a manager but a challenge to tactics etc. Jut a thought? Don't wish him anything bad but I never warmed to him personally....

Don’t you think butler was a leader?

As for mason looking lost, I thought he was our best player for the majority of last season

Agree with you on Mason, and yes Butler is very much a leader.
However, do you remember in the relegation season when he subbed Butler after a half time bust up and left him out for a few games afterwards, even though the team was clearly missing his influence.
I suggested at the time that DF didn’t like players that stood up to him.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on June 05, 2018, 09:18:14 am by steve@dcfd »
"The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager." - elaborate

Surely that’s Martins opinion has a supporter. When talking to the club has the supporters board only deal with governance not the running of the playing side of football.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on June 05, 2018, 09:21:21 am by Cantley Rover »

Surely that’s Martins opinion has a supporter. When talking to the club has the supporters board only deal with governance not the running of the playing side of football.

Are you saying the supporters board are only there to discuss governance of the club?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on June 05, 2018, 09:23:13 am by silent majority »

Oh dear, why do you have to be so obtuse? I chat with the club on numerous levels, be it FSF, VSC or supporters board. The question about managers and budgets etc. crops up frequently, and budgets are quite clearly in the governance arena.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on June 05, 2018, 09:26:06 am by Chris Black come back »
I would be horrified if our supporter representative was being consulted on team issues! Jesus I have heard some of the blokes around me and they would be last folks you want making these decisions.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on June 05, 2018, 09:33:48 am by Cantley Rover »
I would be horrified if our supporter representative was being consulted on team issues! Jesus I have heard some of the blokes around me and they would be last folks you want making these decisions.

I don't think for a minute anyone is suggesting this.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on June 05, 2018, 09:36:32 am by steve@dcfd »

Oh dear, why do you have to be so obtuse? I chat with the club on numerous levels, be it FSF, VSC or supporters board. The question about managers and budgets etc. crops up frequently, and budgets are quite clearly in the governance arena.

Does that mean you give your personal opinion on how the club is progressing or a representative view from either the FSF, VSC or supporters board.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on June 05, 2018, 09:37:59 am by sheffield exile1 »
Can't forgive him for taking us down with a tailspin he couldn't address then simply taking us back up to where we were Hartlepool said it all to me. The football was pedestrian at best and players like Mason were looking lost where he played them, and I still don't know what the "diamond" was an what it would achieve. More importantly to me was his lack of a true leader aka Rob Jones, Wellens etc. Copps wasn't in that mould, other strengths, but not a Roy Keane etc. My theory for what its worth is that he didn't want a strong leader as it could present a challenge to him and he didn't want that scenario, not as a manager but a challenge to tactics etc. Jut a thought? Don't wish him anything bad but I never warmed to him personally....

As for mason looking lost, I thought he was our best player for the majority of last season

Butler was the best we had but no, he was too slow and wasn't a true leader in the old school sense, just a good team player. Agree that Mason was very good but week after week people who couldn't see he was out of position derided him and his skills on here. A true leader would have stopped some of the predictable turgid dross we have had to watch the majority of this season, thats my point.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on June 05, 2018, 09:49:58 am by roversdude »
Amazing that the posters who were wanting DF to leave have now turned this around to blame the board are you sure you are not Arsenal fans ???
Let’s not bother to get the full story before making opinions
SM is as always trying to give us as much information as is available and I’m sure will update as and when
Chill guys it’s just another Rovers close season

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #253 on June 05, 2018, 10:03:46 am by dickos1 »

However, do you remember in the relegation season when he subbed Butler after a half time bust up and left him out for a few games afterwards, even though the team was clearly missing his influence.

I wasn’t aware of a dressing room bust up no.
But even if there we have no idea why, if he was standing up to him or not.
Bit for the last two years he’s played him every week and had him captain on many occasions so surely that’s a sign he’d not overly bothered if someone stands upto him or not

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on June 05, 2018, 10:29:12 am by donny dave »
Can interpret it however you want. Just because Ferguson felt he had "no alternative" but to resign doesn't mean that the club has no ambition or that the budget is poor.

It might suggest that Darren Ferguson THINKS the budget is poor, but I would suggest that he's been used to having a blank cheque at Peterborough and maybe doesn't like the fact that he's got to work within more sensible parameters.

I don't think he's done much to prove he's not just a chequebook manager.

My interpretation is that he's asked the board for more money, they've told him they expect him to work with the current budget (which they clearly perceive to be sufficient), and he's not taken it well.

Whether that budget IS adequate, we'll see. Fergusons statement gives a very one-sided perspective.

It is important therefore that the board and CEO get their act together to give us their version of "the resignation"

I agree, you'd normally expect the usual thanks and good wishes, but in this case DF has caught everyone out by releasing a statement via the LMA, very disrespectful in my opinion and paints the board in a bad light, so in my opinion the board need to put their side of the story out
Spot on.
He made his statement first to save face.
Now fetch Grayson/Snods in please.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on June 05, 2018, 10:38:24 am by drfchound »

I wasn’t aware of a dressing room bust up no.
But even if there we have no idea why, if he was standing up to him or not.
Bit for the last two years he’s played him every week and had him captain on many occasions so surely that’s a sign he’d not overly bothered if someone stands upto him or not

I was told about it by a player who was also in the dressing room when it happened.
It was during the run of defeats when we were persisting with a back three and Butler spoke out about it not being suitable at that time, basically saying that it wasn’t working.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on June 05, 2018, 10:50:50 am by dickos1 »
There’ll be bust ups every week in every dressing room. But the fact he made him captain and played him every week showed there’s no overriding issue

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on June 05, 2018, 10:55:30 am by drfchound »
There’ll be bust ups every week in every dressing room. But the fact he made him captain and played him every week showed there’s no overriding issue

I know about dressings rooms, as you do too.
They obviously kissed and made up but the fact that he left Butler out when the team needed him also showed that he didn’t like a player going against him in front of others and also displayed his stubbornness to the detriment of results.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on June 05, 2018, 11:41:17 am by RoversAlias »
I have no trouble believing that that happened, because I remember plain as day the sudden absence of Butler in the team. Many of us thought he'd be leaving when we went down because Fergie clearly didn't like him. Perhaps if we had stayed up he'd have been let go but thankfully he wasn't and Fergie turned around on him.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #259 on June 05, 2018, 01:40:27 pm by IDM »
Bloody hell..

I just read through this thread and if "conclusion jumping" became an olympic sport then GB would have all the medals sewn up with folks on this forum.

Since when did speculation, opinion, hearsay etc become evidence?

Fergie's gone - the important thing now is to move on and find the next manager.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on June 05, 2018, 02:33:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I remember when John Ryan sacked Dave Penney, who was far more successful than Fergie has been for us and I don't remember seeing this amount of meltdown

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on June 05, 2018, 03:45:15 pm by RedJ »
I remember when John Ryan sacked Dave Penney, who was far more successful than Fergie has been for us and I don't remember seeing this amount of meltdown

In fairness posting shite on the internet wasn't as big a thing as it is now.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on June 05, 2018, 03:56:13 pm by since-1969 »
I know it’s great in it !

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on June 05, 2018, 04:17:47 pm by steve@dcfd »

You are right about Dave Penney’s success but if compare the side he had in league 1 especially it had better players than we have got know.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #264 on June 05, 2018, 05:08:10 pm by the vicar »
A board with no ambition, except to keep us yo-yoing between Lg.1 and 2, unwilling to give an ambitious manager the funds to improve the side, so he walks. Silent majority will not like this as the sun shines out of the boards according to him. They can do no wrong, but the proof is there for all to see, just watch the massive investment in signing juniors this summer to "improve the squad".

You miss the quite obvious point. The board do have ambition which is why DF will no longer be our manager.

All the articles seem to point towards Fergie leaving because he wasn't happy with the budget to me. You seem to be suggesting otherwise?

I've said it numerous times in the last few hours, the playing budget wasn't cut.

The problem with the club Martin, is the fact that they don't tell the fans anything for an age and then that sets in hysteria and speculation and leaves us all fighting against each other.  It's as if they don't value the fans until it's time for season ticket renewal then they want to be our best buddies.  We, the fans, pay a lot of money, sometimes we can't afford to be part of our club, the least we deserve is information, just my opinion. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #265 on June 05, 2018, 05:13:54 pm by Filo »

The problem with the club Martin, is the fact that they don't tell the fans anything for an age and then that sets in hysteria and speculation and leaves us all fighting against each other.  It's as if they don't value the fans until it's time for season ticket renewal then they want to be our best buddies.  We, the fans, pay a lot of money, sometimes we can't afford to be part of our club, the least we deserve is information, just my opinion. 

I tend to agree to an extent, today is an example, we had the short statement last night saying yes Fergie has left, then today total silence, it breeds speculation and rumours, most unfounded. So we fans have to try and read between the lines to work things out

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on June 05, 2018, 05:18:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Liam Hoden confirmed on Twitter that there is still a statement due out today, although I am surprised it hasn't been issued earlier.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on June 05, 2018, 05:22:39 pm by the vicar »
That is the point, it should be out there in the morning after to save any panic with us fan, i love my club but they drive me to dispare some times

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on June 05, 2018, 05:25:46 pm by albie »
The thing I found odd about DF was his decision to give extended contracts to players, then later concluding that they were not part of his plans.

Evina, Middleton, Lund are examples.

Having made a poor choice about how to spend his budget, did he then expect the BoD to cough up more to cover his mistake?

You would lose faith in his judgment if that were the case.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #269 on June 05, 2018, 05:40:16 pm by IDM »
That is the point, it should be out there in the morning after to save any panic with us fan, i love my club but they drive me to dispare some times

Why would there be any panic?  How many clubs change manager each season, some more than once??  I would be more worried if there was no movement with a new manager this time next month, but to need informatino so urgently isn't going to make any difference.

The clamour for instant information these days really makes my piss boil, in general, not aimed at you vicar..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012