Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:49:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we appeal that red card ?  (Read 3617 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Can we appeal that red card ?
« on April 28, 2024, 02:08:56 am by Colemans Left Hook »
i have been at the magic mushrooms again

for a goal to be given the whole of the ball has to be over the line

so for handball to be given by a goalkeeper the whole of the ball has to be outside the area  ???

i have just taken 2 photos off sky and  I have my doubts the whole of the ball was outside the area

what does the team think   ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Can we appeal that red card ?
« Reply #1 on April 28, 2024, 02:09:36 am by Colemans Left Hook »
and

get your micrometers out !!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 02:16:55 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 28, 2024, 02:50:00 am by Colemans Left Hook »
from the sky highlights on here

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 28, 2024, 02:58:05 am by Colemans Left Hook »
on this one he hasn't yet touched the ball

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 28, 2024, 07:13:45 am by Northants Nomad »
Was it a clear denial of goal scoring opportunity? There’s 3 Doncaster defenders around the ball and all ahead of any Gills attacker so the chance of the attacker getting there first was highly unlikely. The head from Sterry was not high power and if TLT had not instinctively stopped it, I think the chances of it reaching the goal before a defender mopped up was zero.
That said, appealing and losing if it’s just a 1 game ban isn’t worth it!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 28, 2024, 07:30:24 am by drfchound »
It has been highlighted on here that if a keeper handles the ball outside of his area but doesn’t deny a scoring opportunity then a yellow card should be issued by the ref.
It is a fair argument to say that Sterrys header was not going to go into the net and that one of our three defenders would have got back to clear before the Gillingham player got a chance to score.
Whether it is worth the risk of an appeal is debatable if it means a further suspension if it is turned down.

A9

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 28, 2024, 07:36:27 am by A9 »
Handball is not a red card offence , Denying a goal scoring opportunity is . We are conditioned to think that if a keeper handles outside of the box they are off because most of the time it’s a one on one situation so we have become used to thinking that is always the outcome .

The appeal would be on the grounds that there were FOUR players between the attacker and the ball and that the attacker is outside of the box and some distance from the ball.  I don’t therefore think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. I’d appeal on those grounds.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 28, 2024, 07:43:48 am by mushRTID »
Handball is not a red card offence , Denying a goal scoring opportunity is . We are conditioned to think that if a keeper handles outside of the box they are off because most of the time it’s a one on one situation so we have become used to thinking that is always the outcome .

The appeal would be on the grounds that there were FOUR players between the attacker and the ball and that the attacker is outside of the box and some distance from the ball.  I don’t therefore think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. I’d appeal on those grounds.

I think I’d appeal too.
Even if it fails this is surely a good enough argument that it would stay at 1 game.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 28, 2024, 07:58:47 am by colincramb »
It’s not a red card. Simple as that really. Yellow all day long

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 28, 2024, 08:45:03 am by drfchound »
Looking back, the ref was very quick to make his decision and probably got caught up in the moment.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2024, 08:51:44 am by steve@dcfd »
The header from Sterry was not going in the goal three defenders from Rovers there so it wasn’t a goal scoring opportunity therefore yellow. But will we appeal it how games will TLT be banned

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2024, 08:53:18 am by Jonathan »
It’s a credible appeal so we absolutely could not see the ban increased. At worst they stand by the original decision and punishment, but I’m increasingly of the view that a straight red card was the wrong call.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2024, 09:01:18 am by Chris Black come back »
This is probably debatable but at least there is a lack of clarity. That penalty was absolutely nailed and that evil f**ker didn't even blink in dismissing it. What's the come back for such a colossal failure? Zero.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2024, 09:19:43 am by donnievic »
i have been at the magic mushrooms again

for a goal to be given the whole of the ball has to be over the line

so for handball to be given by a goalkeeper the whole of the ball has to be outside the area  ???

i have just taken 2 photos off sky and  I have my doubts the whole of the ball was outside the area

what does the team think   ?
you do know the D isn’t part of the box !!!!! He was way outside,don’t think it was denying a goalscoring opportunity as it wasn’t going in and the striker had stopped and turned away and was no way would of got the ball with 3 defenders covering so think a good chance getting the 1 game ban overturned

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2024, 09:20:16 am by Filo »
After looking at it again I have changed my opinion, for the reasons stated above, it should be downgraded to a yellow card, and the appeal wouldn’t be frivolous

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2024, 09:20:57 am by drfcsteve »
Watching the video back I think the key question is whether Sterry’s header would have gone in for an own goal. I think there’s a possibility it would have done, but equally it might have been cleared.

There is no way any Gillingham player is getting to the ball to score.

I don’t think any appeal could be considered frivolous given the genuine doubt around whether a goal was denied.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 28, 2024, 09:25:18 am by Metalmicky »
This is probably debatable but at least there is a lack of clarity. That penalty was absolutely nailed and that evil f**ker didn't even blink in dismissing it. What's the come back for such a colossal failure? Zero.

evil f**ker ....... is perhaps a bit strong?

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 28, 2024, 09:25:55 am by Prez »
I was right in line with Sterrys header and I can categorically say it was NOT Going in.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 28, 2024, 09:31:23 am by drfcsteve »
I was right in line with Sterrys header and I can categorically say it was NOT Going in.

Interesting, be helpful if there any video from behind the goal rather than side on. If Sterry’s header was not “on target” then no goal has been denied.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 28, 2024, 10:19:08 am by graingrover »
It seems wrong to have to appeal to get the decision reviewed because appeals open the door to aggravated punishment . The referee's committee should automatically review all red card incidents after the game and rescind or confirm irrespective of appeals.
Why do football football regulators not understand that rugby is more dynamic from this point of view and take the example into football?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 28, 2024, 10:25:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Compare and contrast to the deliberate handball given against Gillingham on the edge of their box, when Ironside oukd have been clean through on the keeper had the offence not been committed. That was a yellow card.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 28, 2024, 10:32:30 am by Jimmydee »
Maybe VAR could have defined if it was in/out of the penalty area, but alas…..

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 28, 2024, 10:48:49 am by ForsolongaRover »
As I said on another thread do we know if there any precedents for success in this situation? The question of OGSO is largely one of judgement and it is one situation when the referee is probably quite reasonably adjudged to be the best person to make such a decision.

It is surely indisputable that it is an “opportunity” to score a goal and it was central with no one behind the defenders but an open goal. An “obvious opportunity” does not equate with a 100% certain goal. Proving that will not make the case.

It is not a question of being able to look at it technically as with a VAR offside decision where it is a matter of fact.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 28, 2024, 10:55:29 am by IDM »
No way is part of the ball in the box.  TLT is on the edge of the D, that’s 4 yards from the main box.  He’s not almost 12 feet tall including arms stretched out is he?

I agree it should only have been a yellow, but an appeal is too risky imho.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 28, 2024, 11:02:29 am by Colemans Left Hook »
No way is part of the ball in the box.  TLT is on the edge of the D, that’s 4 yards from the main box.  He’s not almost 12 feet tall including arms stretched out is he?

I agree it should only have been a yellow, but an appeal is too risky imho.

that was my starter for 10 i am pleading a new angle on a new thread!!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 28, 2024, 11:27:04 am by Campsall rover »
Based on where those photo’s are taken from I would say he handled the ball outside the penalty area.

Based on those photo’s I would say it is not a clear and obvious opportunity to score was denied by the hand ball. There are 3 defenders goal side of the Gills attacker.

So in normal circumstances I would say an appeal would be a chance worth taking but with what’s at stake right now is it worth taking any risk.
I would say it’s 70/30 in our favour looking at those stills posted.

No disrespect to Louie Jones, but we really could do with our No 1 keeper for possibly the 2nd leg and hopefully the final play off matches.

The other BIG question is if we lost the appeal does the suspension get increased to either 2 or 3 games.
If it does not then yes no brainer we should appeal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 11:35:13 am by Campsall rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 28, 2024, 11:53:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He handled the ball miles out of the area.

The force Sterry put into the header meant no defender was going to catch up to the ball.

It's a stone cold red card. Just accept it and move on.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 28, 2024, 11:59:31 am by donnievic »
Watching the video back I think the key question is whether Sterry’s header would have gone in for an own goal. I think there’s a possibility it would have done, but equally it might have been cleared.

There is no way any Gillingham player is getting to the ball to score.

I don’t think any appeal could be considered frivolous given the genuine doubt around whether a goal was denied.

does the goals move at all when the ball gets closer because it would of gone a good 6 yard wide lol 

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 28, 2024, 12:02:58 pm by donnievic »
Maybe VAR could have defined if it was in/out of the penalty area, but alas…..
really!!!!!! Wasn’t even close at least 2 yard outside

TinyPortal © 2005-2012