Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:57:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41843 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #300 on January 12, 2021, 04:47:59 pm by Donnywolf »
I have probably asked b4 and forgotten

Why are some deals for un undisclosed fee pls

Who doesn't want that info in public and why?

Selling Club or purchasing club and does it really matter as surely it must go on the Profit and Loss" books and be there to be discovered later?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on January 12, 2021, 04:51:47 pm by vaya »
I have probably asked b4 and forgotten

Why are some deals for un undisclosed fee pls

Who doesn't want that info in public and why?

Selling Club or purchasing club and does it really matter as surely it must go on the Profit and Loss" books and be there to be discovered later?

Presumably a degree of commercial sensitivity involved.
Letting what's a competitive market know what you've paid for a player (on the part of the purchasing club) and how much you've got to spend (on the part of the selling club) might not be ideal in the immediate term.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #302 on January 12, 2021, 04:54:03 pm by vaya »
Putting aside the tough COVID financial climate, we have a budget and I would imagine given his new deal, that Whiteman is by far our top earner. If he leaves, that wage is then freed. I doubt very much we will be signing a player who will be getting what we are paying Whiteman now, potentially bring in two players for his wage.

There is also the salary cap to factor in. We'll presumably be limited by that also.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #303 on January 12, 2021, 04:58:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No problem at all in selling him for a decent fee.  The key is the replacement, that's the vital part. Get that right and we will be perfectly fine. Fail on that and it could.kill the season.

Also neither the player or agent owe us anything. Can't hold it against a player for moving upwards, though I do feel he should wait for the summer personally.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on January 12, 2021, 05:05:19 pm by Filo »
How can you say its peanuts when you dont know what it is?

It will be less thann£1m after Sheff utd have their cut

Absolutely, categorically incorrect!

It might well be, but I’ve seen it in the past that Sheff Utd have a sell on of 30%, 30% of £1.5m is £450k, after that there will be other deductions, agents fees etc. Wage deferral from the covid agreement with the players.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #305 on January 12, 2021, 05:15:39 pm by PDX_Rover »
It’s not 30%

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #306 on January 12, 2021, 05:19:04 pm by Draytonian III »
Sheffield United ripped us off with the sale of Brian Deane, I just hope we put a good sale on clause with Ben’s transfer. Good luck to him

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on January 12, 2021, 05:42:19 pm by NickDRFC »
Of course this is all speculation but as we've said previously, as disappointing as it is, we have to be prepared for it to happen sooner or later.

If a club matches the value that in his terms/agreement then you can't change the goalposts and breach that agreement. That is tantamount to standing in a players way. There won't be many League One players with  such a high a release clause I would guess

Some may debate the value that triggers his ability to talk to other clubs but you have to consider, he may not have signed his new contract in the first place and could be walking away for free and/or joining Barnsley for much less than his worth. Had he not signed a new contract, the same folk would be up in arms about that too.

We may have never got Ben, or Cameron John for example, without these sell on clauses in the first place. What min fee would you say would be right for Cameron John??

These matters are never as straightforward as we think.

Do we even know that he has a minimum release clause? I’ve not seen that mentioned by SM or reported elsewhere - comments along the lines of “bids don’t match our valuation” to me suggest we have a fee in mind, not something in writing.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on January 12, 2021, 05:51:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Of course this is all speculation but as we've said previously, as disappointing as it is, we have to be prepared for it to happen sooner or later.

If a club matches the value that in his terms/agreement then you can't change the goalposts and breach that agreement. That is tantamount to standing in a players way. There won't be many League One players with  such a high a release clause I would guess

Some may debate the value that triggers his ability to talk to other clubs but you have to consider, he may not have signed his new contract in the first place and could be walking away for free and/or joining Barnsley for much less than his worth. Had he not signed a new contract, the same folk would be up in arms about that too.

We may have never got Ben, or Cameron John for example, without these sell on clauses in the first place. What min fee would you say would be right for Cameron John??

These matters are never as straightforward as we think.

Do we even know that he has a minimum release clause? I’ve not seen that mentioned by SM or reported elsewhere - comments along the lines of “bids don’t match our valuation” to me suggest we have a fee in mind, not something in writing.

I don't know, as I said just speculation.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on January 12, 2021, 06:09:40 pm by silent majority »

It might well be, but I’ve seen it in the past that Sheff Utd have a sell on of 30%, 30% of £1.5m is £450k, after that there will be other deductions, agents fees etc. Wage deferral from the covid agreement with the players.

So, you're guessing then?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #310 on January 12, 2021, 06:12:37 pm by Filo »

Speculating would be the appropriate word, just like everyone else, but you choose to ignore everyone else speculating

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on January 12, 2021, 06:13:37 pm by eastender »

If Bens asked for a move , then he and his agent shouldn't receive a penny of the transfer fee.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on January 12, 2021, 06:15:46 pm by mushRTID »
It’s not always the total value that clubs reject, it’s the structure of the payments. It will be about £1.5m. How we go about replacing him is the telling thing. If the club want me to recommend some L1 midfielders they could purchase that would do a similar job, I only charge a small fee!

Go on then what you got? Genuinely interested who is out there.

I hope we get an established Mr and not a youth on loan

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on January 12, 2021, 06:16:01 pm by Filo »

If Bens asked for a move , then he and his agent shouldn't receive a penny of the transfer fee.

My opinion on agents is the player that employs them should foot the bill in its entirity, they are nothing but self serving leeches

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on January 12, 2021, 06:21:08 pm by silent majority »

Speculating would be the appropriate word, just like everyone else, but you choose to ignore everyone else speculating

You made a definitive statement, no question marks, no supporting points to your 'speculation', just purely your point that was dressed up to be as affirmative as possible. That's why I commented, because it was just a ludicrous swipe at the club.

Other people have speculated, but their posts are obvious.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #315 on January 12, 2021, 06:21:44 pm by RobTheRover »
I'd go with that too, Filo. Agents suck money out of the game, force moves for their cuts, etc.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on January 12, 2021, 06:32:16 pm by selby »
  It is pretty obvious that we have not been the instigators of the deal, therefore I would not pay anything to his agent at all, if a fee has been agreed with Ben to extend his contract when he signed it then surely we are obligated to any agreements in that contract and the fee we stipulated and stood fast for which Preston seem to have agreed to, and should cover any legitimate fees we have to pay Sheffield United or anyone else and leave us with a fee we are happy as a club to accept.
  If all those conditions have been reached then both clubs and the player will be happy with the transaction.
  We the supporters have lost a fans favourite, and see things slightly differently to the business people who run the club, If we have a good sell on clause I am confident that we will have income from the deal in future to add to what we already have in hand.
  We can only hope that the club have stood by their word and held out for what they thought was a worthwhile deal that suited our club, and if they have I am confident that the amounts bandied about on here will not be as much as the deal we have struck with Preston.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:36:38 pm by selby »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on January 12, 2021, 06:33:10 pm by Filo »

You made a definitive statement, no question marks, no supporting points to your 'speculation', just purely your point that was dressed up to be as affirmative as possible. That's why I commented, because it was just a ludicrous swipe at the club.

Other people have speculated, but their posts are obvious.

There wasn’t any swipe at the club, but never mind you go ahead and dress my comments as a swipe at the club, you ought to know better than that, I’ve always been a big defender of the club. That doesn’t stop me having an opinion does it? I even got taken to court trying to defend the club FFS!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on January 12, 2021, 06:33:52 pm by MachoMadness »
Hoden intimating we're getting more than £1.5m for him.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on January 12, 2021, 06:40:54 pm by Metalmicky »

LH also says...

From what I've been told over the past week or so, there is a confidence Rovers will be able to act quickly in bringing at least one player in once the Whiteman deal is fully confirmed. A possibility - and I stress the word possibility - before the weekend

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on January 12, 2021, 06:44:38 pm by scawsby steve »

Yeah, that would go along with some other rags that say we turned down £1.5 million.

My guess is about £1.7m.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on January 12, 2021, 06:47:30 pm by since-1969 »
So much for we don’t need to sell !

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on January 12, 2021, 06:49:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Yeah but you can't force a player to remain who wants to move on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on January 12, 2021, 06:50:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
If we turned down £1.5m they were hardly going to come back with £2.5m. Don’t have a clue but your next move would be modestly up, so £1.75m seems right. They were under no real bidding pressure as Whiteman clearly had his heart set on going there.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on January 12, 2021, 06:51:22 pm by Janso »

I take it you're ignoring the part where the player is saying he wants to go.

Surely you're not just looking for a stick to beat the board with?  :ohmy:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on January 12, 2021, 06:51:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

LH also says...

From what I've been told over the past week or so, there is a confidence Rovers will be able to act quickly in bringing at least one player in once the Whiteman deal is fully confirmed. A possibility - and I stress the word possibility - before the weekend

As someone eluded to previously, as one door closes another one opens.

If this gets confirmed, hopefully Ben won't be the last player to leave us for good money, as it will be a sign we're doing things right and being successful.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on January 12, 2021, 06:53:56 pm by Rovers Return »

We do when the player doesn’t want to play for us anymore and actually refuses to play against Blackburn (twice in one season)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on January 12, 2021, 06:54:00 pm by RoversAlias »
I expect the fee to be £2 million or more once you factor in add-ons, as nearly all transfer deals include them these days. I'm not basing this on anything by the way, merely making a reasonable guess based on the information we have from proper sources - i.e. Liam Hoden and SM, not "Football Insider" or Twitter know-nothings.

My opinion this whole time is that £2m was the minimum we should be asking. If the player wants to go and the club buying are willing to pay what Rovers want, then we should have no problem with that. Our season will not be defined by Whiteman's departure but by how we choose to replace him in the squad.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on January 12, 2021, 06:54:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
£2m from Reading for Matt Mills in 2009 likely then to remain our transfer record for time being.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on January 12, 2021, 06:56:52 pm by drfc1951 »
People cant  wait for a stick to beat the board with.Just have a look on Hodens twitter feed.Even 1or 2 people who post on here are on it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012