Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:25:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If Glynn were to get the job....  (Read 4034 times)

Prez

• VSC Member
If Glynn were to get the job....
« on January 10, 2013, 10:39:27 am by Prez »
Does anyone else think, this may rejuvinate the club as it did back in 98? Obviously the club is far better off than it was back then, however there are still a few fans cheesed off over the Mckay experiment, and the our championship demise.

Having Glynn in charge may put bums on seats. Not advocating employing Glynn just for that reason, as he is an outstanding coach, but it just may be a win win situation.

Just my opinon on course.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
Re: If Glynn were to get the job....
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2013, 02:07:26 pm by drfcsteve »
I think it would unite the fanbase, he would be a manager employed for all the right reasons.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2013, 02:08:45 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Simon Grayson has just said Glynn's told him he doesn't have any aspirations to manage us.  So who was impersonating him on Radio Sheffield last night then?

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2013, 02:16:36 pm by Rovers Return »
Glynn personally told me a couple years ago while in a box at the Keepmoat when asked replied....'Who wouldn't want to manage here'  his exact words.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2013, 02:18:39 pm by MachoMadness »
To be fair there still isn't any confirmation that Snodin has actually applied, he just said he's flattered to be linked and that he would seriously consider it if offered. Maybe that's what Grayson means, and it just got lost in translation somewhere.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2013, 02:21:50 pm by Chris »
I absolutely agree. I'd love to see Snodin back at the club as a manager. I'd also like to point out that there's a good number of managers who I feel would unite the fanbase. How could anyone be disappointed with the appointment of Snodin, Robins, Flynn or Coyle?

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2013, 02:32:58 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Unite the fans but l'm more interested in a manager that's got the pedigree & experience to get promotion.

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2013, 02:38:14 pm by paddy hoops »
He'd be daft he hadn't applied. When is he ever gonna get a chance to just walk in to a club with a team playing as well and in such a good league position as we are?

COME ON YOU HOOOOOPS!!!! :scarf:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2013, 02:42:16 pm by MachoMadness »
Snodin is a definite gamble though. I know the fans who remember him playing would like it but in real terms his connection to the club means nothing. He probably gets on with JR, and that's about it. He is relatively young and a good coach without doubt but let's not kid ourselves, it would be a sizable risk appointing him.

If the board use their heads and still decide he's the best candidate, then great, get him in. But we can't just make an emotional decision based on nostalgia. The fact that someone used to play here should have no bearing on their suitability for the managers' job.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2013, 06:05:42 pm by drfcsteve »
It's not just that he used to play here, he's had considerable success at Leeds and Huddersfield in the Championship.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2013, 06:10:00 pm by dickos1 »
Not as a manager he hasn't

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2013, 06:11:18 pm by paddy hoops »
Here here drfcsteve!! He's probably got a lot more experience than the Leo Fortune-West, a lot of people are banging on about him being a good choise. I'd rather have a number 2 from Leeds and Hudders than the top man from Armthorpe Wellie.

COME ON YOU HOOOOOPS!!!!

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 10, 2013, 06:23:31 pm by roversontheup »
My heart would love to see Glyn Snodin back at Rovers but my head says there is a big difference between being coach and manager.

Glyn is supposedly a great coach but does he have the tactical nouse or man management skills to make all the big decisions and make the right call?

I don't know the answer to that so my heart and head remain in disagreement.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2013, 06:26:41 pm by drfcsteve »
He was/is assistant manager at Leeds and Huddersfield, not just a coach.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2013, 06:31:40 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody can surely be being serious about fortune west, Ryan wants taking to the asylum if he's thinking about that.
There's a big difference between assistant manager and manager though isn't there?
Steve clarkes done well though,

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2013, 06:40:50 pm by Capmeister »
Sentimentalism is not a basis on which to appoint a manager. Love the Snods to bits but they were pants in the Conference. They kicked started the re-birth of Donny but it only got em so far. They couldn't take us any further and JR knew it. Like any other managerial job it's about knowing how your people tick and being able to use that to get the best out of them. Glynn's a nice fella but that ain't enough to manage.

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 10, 2013, 06:41:53 pm by paddy hoops »
With the number of clubs he's been an assistant at he must have picked something up in terms of managerial now how. Even if he hasn't its not as if he'd have much to do here other than sign two or three more players. The only problem he'd face would be keeping our first string fit, but this would be a problem for whoever takes the job anyway so we'd just have to see how he felt with it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 10, 2013, 06:42:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think as in Saunders case, if you have aspirations to manage, you'd be prepared to leave the glitz of a higher end league club to learn the ropes of management at a lower end club and build up.

I don't know if Glynn has applied for any managerial jobs previously but he seems to be content with the coaching/Assistant roles. However, Steve Clark spent a long time in the shadows of being a number 2 before emerging as a good number 1.

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 10, 2013, 06:48:02 pm by paddy hoops »
Sentimentalism is not a basis on which to appoint a manager. Love the Snods to bits but they were pants in the Conference. They kicked started the re-birth of Donny but it only got em so far. They couldn't take us any further and JR knew it. Like any other managerial job it's about knowing how your people tick and being able to use that to get the best out of them. Glynn's a nice fella but that ain't enough to manage.
[/quot
That was their first job in charge though don't forget. Surely Snods will have picked up some knowledge since then. I mean it has been 14 years after all.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 10, 2013, 08:53:31 pm by Lifelong supporter »

Pants in the Conference? The cub was almost on it's last legs when they took over and they had no money to spend. Just to get the club up and running again and bring back some credibility was an achievement in itself. But that was 15 years ago and Glynn has gained vast experience since. Can't believe he hasn't worked out 'how people tick' and how to get the best out of them during that time. As far as being a nice fella. Yes, he is, but that doesn't mean he's not tough enough for the job. Ask any of the players who were there when he was assistant to Ian. He's much tougher than he looks.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 10, 2013, 09:04:12 pm by Filo »
Glynn should not be appointed on sentiment, Derby did that with Nigel Clough, thinking they could get the glory days of his dad back, it makes it all the more difficult to get rid, if things don`t work out. Glynn should be interviewed and assessed on the selection criteria we`ve set out, if he meets all our requirements then I`d be happy to have him in charge. I assume the Interview panel would consist of the three owners + Gavin Baldwin, out of those 4 people there`s probably only JR that would likely let sentiment cloud his judgement, the others were n`t around when Glynn played for us and as such they have no fond memories to sway them when coming to a decision.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 10, 2013, 09:08:43 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Couldn't agree more with Filo.
Glynn shouldn't get the job because of sentiment.
He should get it because he's the best man for the job.
And, for me, he's the best bet of those mentioned.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 10, 2013, 09:25:57 pm by Jonathan »
I hate the suggestion that there's no room for sentiment in football anyway. Nothing more than a meaningless cliche. If there is no room for sentiment then why are we bothering with our own team? Statistically, Manchester United surely present a more favourable option to support.

Glyn Snodin would be up there with my preferred candiates for the post and sentiment absolutely plays a part in that, along with his track record as a coach.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 10, 2013, 10:05:09 pm by BobG »
Cracking Jonathan! Spot on.

Cheers

BobG

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 10, 2013, 10:10:41 pm by Filo »
I hate the suggestion that there's no room for sentiment in football anyway. Nothing more than a meaningless cliche. If there is no room for sentiment then why are we bothering with our own team? Statistically, Manchester United surely present a more favourable option to support.

Glyn Snodin would be up there with my preferred candiates for the post and sentiment absolutely plays a part in that, along with his track record as a coach.

I never sad there was no room for sentiment in football, what I said was that if Glynn was appointed he should meet all of our selection criteria and not be appointed on the back of being a very good player for us

pubteam

« Reply #25 on January 10, 2013, 10:12:31 pm by pubteam »

Good point.

I think that this is such a crucial appointment for the club, that it is important that sentiment doesn't get in the way of who is the best candidate for the job. But if Glynn Snodin is up there with the outstanding candidates purely due to his management potential, then perhaps his popularity at the club could be considered an added bonus and sway it in his favour.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 10, 2013, 11:23:56 pm by hoolahoop »
Glynn should not be appointed on sentiment, Derby did that with Nigel Clough, thinking they could get the glory days of his dad back, it makes it all the more difficult to get rid, if things don`t work out. Glynn should be interviewed and assessed on the selection criteria we`ve set out, if he meets all our requirements then I`d be happy to have him in charge. I assume the Interview panel would consist of the three owners + Gavin Baldwin, out of those 4 people there`s probably only JR that would likely let sentiment cloud his judgement, the others were n`t around when Glynn played for us and as such they have no fond memories to sway them when coming to a decision.

Excellent post and I agree with you entirely. Why/who is peddling this idea around , fed up reading it all mesen .
The Owners have their criteria and one of those won't be ''sentimentality'' !!

RedmanRufus

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 10, 2013, 11:48:49 pm by RedmanRufus »
Surely out of the 50 applicants there is a better football manager that managers than Glynn.

You reds

paddymacca

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 11, 2013, 12:33:19 am by paddymacca »
Assistant manager/coach to manager....

it can and DOES work. Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola are the proof of that.
Ok, Glynn isn't Mourinho or Guardiola, but who cares. JR has given Penney, O'Driscoll and Saunders the top job at Rovers in his time in charge and at those particular times it has worked.

Glynn is in the same position now as Saunders was before Wrexham took him on. He has coached/assisted at a higher level than league 1 including INTERNATIONAL level. He will have learnt a thing or to you can bet that.

If JR decides Glynn Snodin is the best man to a) Continue Rovers push back to the Championship b) Unite the fanbase for the first proper time in a few years and get bums on seats at the KS, then he gets my backing all day long.

And if its not Glynn and someone else, the same.......I will support the lads not matter what!!

R.T.I.D

paddymacca

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 11, 2013, 12:39:59 am by paddymacca »
If Nigel Adkins can go from physio at Scunthorpe to a premier league manager with saints in 6 seasons then ANYTHING is possible  :lol:

:rtid:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012