Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:10:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Am I Missing Something?  (Read 3425 times)

KETrover

• Forum Member
Am I Missing Something?
« on January 10, 2013, 02:37:35 pm by KETrover »
A lot of people backing Glynn Snodin for the job on here. Can i ask why? Apart from his connection with the club?

We are in a very very strong position at joint top, why on earth would we go for someone with no managerial experience?  Surely it would be a purely sentimental choice.

Such a big gamble when were in the position we're in.

We need experience at least until the end of the season IMO

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Am I Missing Something?
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2013, 02:44:48 pm by MachoMadness »
I literally just made this point on another thread a second ago. Great minds think alike and all that!

I agree that we can't go for the sentimental choice, however if the board vet all the candidates and still feel he's the best one then I'd back it all the way. His connection to the club means precisely nothing in reality, take that away and then look at what he offers on merit.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2013, 03:13:25 pm by BobG »
Because he really is a top notch coach. And he's quite tough.

BobG

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2013, 03:21:07 pm by Spud »
Who in a million years would have predicted the last two appointments? Personally i wouldn't put money on anyone, the board will probably surprise us all again. And hopefully get it right again.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2013, 03:23:50 pm by GazLaz »
There a lot of good coaches that don't make good head men. He would be too much of a risk for me at the minute. This is a massive decision, can't take any risks.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2013, 03:29:30 pm by sf9944 »
No doubt he is a good coach but it is a manger we are after not a coach.  He has been coaching for a very long time.  Maybe it is telling that he has never made the step up to manager in all that time.

I could be wrong.  He could be perfect for the job.  But history is well and truly littered with unsuccessful football managers that were chosen for sentimental reasons.  I'm a bit wary to be honest and reckon we might be able to do better.

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2013, 03:34:24 pm by Donny Dub »
The most important role of the football manager is his coaching everything else can be delegated.

Good luck!

1BillyBright

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2013, 04:19:39 pm by 1BillyBright »
The award for the most stupid post ever written on this forum (and that's saying something) goes to Donny Dub.

Surely coaching is the least important role of the football manager as it can be delegated? Mind boggles...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2013, 04:21:53 pm by silent majority »
The award for the most stupid post ever written on this forum (and that's saying something) goes to Donny Dub.

Surely coaching is the least important role of the football manager as it can be delegated? Mind boggles...

I think he meant it the other way around.

KETrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2013, 06:21:50 pm by KETrover »
Whilst i agree he might make a brilliant manager. We aren't in a position to take that risk. We might regret it if he ends up doing well somewhere else. But its such a risk with the position we're in

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2013, 06:42:28 pm by wilts rover »
Whilst i agree he might make a brilliant manager. We aren't in a position to take that risk. We might regret it if he ends up doing well somewhere else. But its such a risk with the position we're in

Yes you are right, it might work or it might not..........errrr which is true with anyone who gets the job actually.

KETrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2013, 07:19:07 pm by KETrover »
a sarcastic reply. not like this board at all..

So you'd punt for a manager with no managerial experience when we are joint top of the league?

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 10, 2013, 08:01:15 pm by Donny Dub »
That's rather patronising of you BrightBilly: 

Your meaning of Coaching = skill & fitness training

My meaning of Coaching =  Forward planning, Team selection, Strategy, Tactics, Motivation, Psychology, Player identification. 

OK now?

Good luck. 

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2013, 08:30:00 pm by hoolahoop »
a sarcastic reply. not like this board at all..

So you'd punt for a manager with no managerial experience when we are joint top of the league?

Not a chance imo it would be totally wrong to make him manager especially in our current position. Why do people keep suggesting this .........it's ridiculous!

1BillyBright

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2013, 08:53:58 pm by 1BillyBright »
That's rather patronising of you BrightBilly: 

Your meaning of Coaching = skill & fitness training

My meaning of Coaching =  Forward planning, Team selection, Strategy, Tactics, Motivation, Psychology, Player identification. 

OK now?

Good luck.

Well I'd say you're wrong.

Good luck,

Bill

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2013, 09:05:51 pm by Lifelong supporter »
A lot of people backing Glynn Snodin for the job on here. Can i ask why? Apart from his connection with the club?

We are in a very very strong position at joint top, why on earth would we go for someone with no managerial experience?  Surely it would be a purely sentimental choice.

Lawrie McMenemy, Billy Bremner, Dave Penney. What's the connection?
None of them had managerial experience before they came to the club and they won FIVE promotions between them while they were here!
Steve Wignall, Sammy Chung, Dave Mackay, Stan Anderson and a few others...all had previous managerial experience and won no promotions between them with Donny.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 10, 2013, 09:12:23 pm by RedJ »

None of them had managerial experience before they came to the club and they won FIVE promotions between them while they were here!
Steve Wignall, Sammy Chung, Dave Mackay, Stan Anderson and a few others...all had previous managerial experience and won no promotions between them with Donny.

Although I'm convinced Sammy could have had Uncle Ken not interfered.

Or is that just rose tinted specs?

KETrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 10, 2013, 10:06:42 pm by KETrover »

so are you trying to say you'd rather have no experience over experience? Are you alright in head rkid?

Up the Rovers

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 10, 2013, 10:11:01 pm by BobG »
You are being willfully dim Ket. The point is that it is the man that matters. Not how many years he's had doing this or that. If he has the knowledge - and no one at all is saying Glynn is lacking in that area - then it comes down to personality and style. And any judgement of that is, of course, subjective. I would far rather have Glynn than someone like the experienced dead losses we have had in the past.

BobG

KETrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 10, 2013, 10:22:33 pm by KETrover »
You are being willfully dim Ket. The point is that it is the man that matters. Not how many years he's had doing this or that. If he has the knowledge - and no one at all is saying Glynn is lacking in that area - then it comes down to personality and style. And any judgement of that is, of course, subjective. I would far rather have Glynn than someone like the experienced dead losses we have had in the past.

BobG

aww thanks for the comment of me being dim you cutey. of course experience matters, i would much rather have someone who has had managerial experience in this league, or in fact any other league, than just a coach who has a link with the club. the only reason his name is being mentioned is because of this link. Sentimental value is not enough when we are joint top and in a very strong position.

Up the Rovers

1BillyBright

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 10, 2013, 10:39:37 pm by 1BillyBright »
I think the way people feel about Snodin as a player and as a man is clouding their vision a touch.

I trust JR will make the right decision.

:rtid:

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 10, 2013, 10:43:59 pm by MrWoodySir »
I don't want him, we need to be ambitious with this appointment. I'd like to see us poach a manager who is currently doing well in League One or Two with the compensation we have.

The people who fit the bill? Mark Robbins, Mark Yates, Gary Mills, Uwe Rosler or possibly Paul Tisdale?

MartinB

« Reply #22 on January 10, 2013, 10:59:49 pm by MartinB »
KET you're beginning to win me over here. Calling Bobby G cutey! More witty posts and I may break into a smile....keep up the good work.

KETrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 10, 2013, 11:09:39 pm by KETrover »
KET you're beginning to win me over here. Calling Bobby G cutey! More witty posts and I may break into a smile....keep up the good work.

thanks martin. we're all here for one thing, to support the mighty reds

thats me over and out for the night.

KET out

Up the Rovers

TinyPortal © 2005-2012