Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:47:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If asked "Who Are Y'er?!"  (Read 2221 times)

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
If asked "Who Are Y'er?!"
« on January 10, 2013, 04:45:02 pm by FuzzyDuck »
We are the likes of Doncaster
The likes of Donny Rovers

Works to "Skip to my Lou"

We need this "The likes of Doncaster" in a chant  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: If asked "Who Are Y'er?!"
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2013, 05:11:54 pm by RedJ »
Or "we're the likes of Doncaster"(seven nation army) or even (I dunno the proper name) the tune we sang Marc Antoine Fortune's name to - "the likes of Doncaster".

Gotta make something of it :laugh:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2013, 05:22:48 pm by hoolahoop »
How about ......we are Doncaster Rovers and proud of it. Let's forget the 'pubteam', 'likes of' etc that's what the Leeds fans do when they try and enhance their image by shouting out 'we are scum' .
I don't think our club likes the idea of us seemingly demeaning everything we have achieved over the last 10 years...........even in jest. Of course I may be wrong .

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2013, 06:53:22 pm by Capmeister »
All our songs are crap. No originality. Some years ago we were at Burnley am told. Usual hammering every week. We'd lost to em quite recently. Some wag took a cake or summat and the chant was "And so this is Burnley and what have we done......we've lost here already would you like a cream bun!!!! How true it was not sure but I like to tell the tale

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2013, 07:07:26 pm by FuzzyDuck »
How about ......we are Doncaster Rovers and proud of it. Let's forget the 'pubteam', 'likes of' etc that's what the Leeds fans do when they try and enhance their image by shouting out 'we are scum' .
I don't think our club likes the idea of us seemingly demeaning everything we have achieved over the last 10 years...........even in jest. Of course I may be wrong .

When you say our club, who's club do you mean?Technically, the three musketeers own the club (or the vast majority of it) but doesn't the club belong to the fans?

I know John Ryan tried to kill the pub team thing but does that mean the fans have give up on that idea?

In my opinion, JR got the pub team entirely wrong.  The fans were having a lot of fun with that tag and it was liked among other supporters.  It didn't demean our past, it celebrated it.  We are a small club, then and instead of getting all hoity-toity about it, JR should have celebrated our size.  We're not Man Utd, the heavyweight champions, we're Donny Rovers, the best pound-for-pound fighters in the league! The pub team thing could have and should have been used on official merchandise, then they would have made a few bob on it too.

Leeds were christened "scum" by opposing fans due to their fans bad behaviour.  The behaviour has improved.  I can vouch for that personally because my wife is a Leeds fan and I have been to Leeds matches home and away with here.  However, they still get the Leeds scum chant, often during matches where they aren't even playing (I've never understood that).  So, they've embraced it in mockery of opposing fans who still insist on referring to them as scum.  Personally, I don't think it works.  I think it encourages opposition fans into continuing to goad them in this unpleasant way.

Pub team, or the likes of is nothing like this.  The tag ridicules the so called big clubs who struggle against us.  It's fun and irreverent.

You'll be saying the Crazy Gang tag demeaned Wimbledon next!

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2013, 08:35:55 pm by hamiltonrover »
All our songs are crap. No originality. Some years ago we were at Burnley am told. Usual hammering every week. We'd lost to em quite recently. Some wag took a cake or summat and the chant was "And so this is Burnley and what have we done......we've lost here already would you like a cream bun!!!! How true it was not sure but I like to tell the tale

Indeed that is true as I happened to be one of the few people singing it, then got pulled up by the old bill for gesturing at the Burnley fans for singing and pointing towards them whilst asking if they would like a piece of cake. Must of been all of 80 Donny fans there that night - LDV trophy game. Those were the days !

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2013, 09:23:58 pm by hoolahoop »

When you say our club, who's club do you mean?Technically, the three musketeers own the club (or the vast majority of it) but doesn't the club belong to the fans?

I know John Ryan tried to kill the pub team thing but does that mean the fans have give up on that idea?

In my opinion, JR got the pub team entirely wrong.  The fans were having a lot of fun with that tag and it was liked among other supporters.  It didn't demean our past, it celebrated it.  We are a small club, then and instead of getting all hoity-toity about it, JR should have celebrated our size.  We're not Man Utd, the heavyweight champions, we're Donny Rovers, the best pound-for-pound fighters in the league! The pub team thing could have and should have been used on official merchandise, then they would have made a few bob on it too.

Leeds were christened "scum" by opposing fans due to their fans bad behaviour.  The behaviour has improved.  I can vouch for that personally because my wife is a Leeds fan and I have been to Leeds matches home and away with here.  However, they still get the Leeds scum chant, often during matches where they aren't even playing (I've never understood that).  So, they've embraced it in mockery of opposing fans who still insist on referring to them as scum.  Personally, I don't think it works.  I think it encourages opposition fans into continuing to goad them in this unpleasant way.

Pub team, or the likes of is nothing like this.  The tag ridicules the so called big clubs who struggle against us.  It's fun and irreverent.

I didn't say that I had a problen with it Fuzzy but I can understand why folk who plough £millions into a business, do whatever they can to make it as professional as possible.........would have a problem with that tag.
Personally I like it but do see where they are coming from .

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2013, 11:26:41 pm by podrover73 »

Leeds were christened "scum" by opposing fans due to their fans bad behaviour.  The behaviour has improved.  I can vouch for that personally because my wife is a Leeds fan and I have been to Leeds matches home and away with here. However, they still get the Leeds scum chant, often during matches where they aren't even playing (I've never understood that).  So, they've embraced it in mockery of opposing fans who still insist on referring to them as scum.  Personally, I don't think it works.  I think it encourages opposition fans into continuing to goad them in this unpleasant way.

Has she stopped kicking the bins now then? :thumbsup:

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2013, 11:38:06 am by FuzzyDuck »
I saw where they were coming from but I still think with a bit more thought, they could have captilized on something that was happening anyway.

Wouldn't have picking up on the fan's lead and exploiting it in terms of merchandizing been professional opportunism?  There's also a point of identity.  At the time we were Donny Rovers - The pub team having a laugh.  Why were we laughing?  Because we were playing some of the best football on show anywhere in the country and humbling the big boys at times. 

Instead we wanted to become "We're Donny Rovers - The Same as anyone else".  What was JR's alternative tag?  It became "Arsenal of the North", a line he picked up from the press at some time.  Yes, for the millionaires a bit more flattering, but boy did it haunt us on the way down!  The alternative would have been "Pub team - Not Laughing so much now".  Perhaps to others "Pub Team - we told you so!"  My opinion but that wasn't quite so bad as living with that Arsenal tag on the way down.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012