Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:00:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Last nights highlights  (Read 3398 times)

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
Last nights highlights
« on August 15, 2018, 07:39:48 am by Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover »
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11473039/Scunthorpe-1-2-doncaster

Scunthorpe were either really terrible or we look bloody good this season, the free flow and fast pace football we played was brilliant, Scunthorpe simply couldn’t keep up with us, as for Wilks.. extend his loan now for the season, his off the ball movement is brilliant and I think Marquis has found someone who he links up well with.

🔴⚪️🔴

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
Re: Last nights highlights
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2018, 08:55:33 am by Paul Simpson »
Great follow up to Saturday’s game which I thoroughly enjoyed!! Unfortunately couldn’t make it to Scunthorpe but great result! Rtid ⚽️😀👍

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2018, 09:51:41 am by IDM »
I still maintain that if the keeper guesses wrong, everyone celebrates a cool finish..

Looked like another great game for us..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2018, 10:59:24 am by RoversAlias »
I still maintain that if the keeper guesses wrong, everyone celebrates a cool finish..

Looked like another great game for us..

I agree, but I actually think that is more evidence Marquis shouldn't take them. Players who just look to slot it one side are essentially making it a 50/50 chance it goes in because it depends which way the keeper guesses, but we've seen with England this summer that if you take a strong penalty that finds a corner or is hard and accurate enough then any goalkeeper has a very hard time stopping them. Like Mason's last season. Penalty taking is a skill, not a lottery.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2018, 11:08:16 am by albie »
YT version with music;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYl1_bs6U4

I don't go for commentary myself. You don't get it at the game.

I thought Mason was Rovers penalty man.
Marquis is poor at pens...might as well send the keeper a note telling him which way to go.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2018, 12:22:59 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
YT version with music;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYl1_bs6U4

I don't go for commentary myself. You don't get it at the game.

I thought Mason was Rovers penalty man.
Marquis is poor at pens...might as well send the keeper a note telling him which way to go.

Marquis is quick, tricky, instinctive. His poise for pens is all wrong. Maybe GM can train him but it seems a strange thing to be fixed on the centre forward taking pens.

On the choice of commentary or music with the vid, that one is like sitting near an annoying robot kid eating very crunchy crisps, annoys the hell out of me!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2018, 12:26:31 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Good quality vid though :) I noticed how Wilks' goal nutmegged their defender, and his previous goals have all been through a lot of players.... lucky?? I like the guy a lot, and that turn for his goal against Southend was brilliant, but yet to see him score a classic great goal.

In contrast, Andrew's goal was class, and his attempt in the first half that was heading to the top corner. I think also an attempt he had on Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:32:40 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2018, 12:41:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What a joy to watch!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2018, 02:14:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wow!

Haven’t got to a match yet due to holidays but that performance looked like something special. This might be a good year...

Regarding the penalty, it looked to me like Marquis placed it well, but the keeper was a yard off his line when he hit it.

This was an issue at the WC. Keepers are stepping up a yard or two off their line and it makes a massive difference to their ability to reach a ball placed just inside the post. One keeper at the WC took it to an extreme by initially standing a yard behind the line, then sprinting out as the striker ran up, so that by the time the ball reached the keeper, he must have been three yards off his line.

The officials are turning a blind eye to it, and I expect a lot more penalties to be saved this season if it’s not clamped down on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2018, 06:34:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some of the play was sublime. Some class touches and movement from Copps, Wilkes, Taylor, Kane etc, which were a class above League One standard.

The only team capable of that last season was Wigan. The others mainly relied on being strong, organised and consistent.

Long long way to go yet but reproducing that passing, movement, pace and intensity will blow many teams away.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2018, 07:06:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
To be honest, DBR, I thought young Kane got better as the game wore on and in the 2 nod half, he seemed to be popping up everywhere and demanding the ball. I sincerely hope we get to hold on to him for the season.

Same with Wilks.

Credit where it's due as well to Matty Blair, who covered in the middle 3 in place of Rowe. I thought he did a great job. However, my MotM was Mason - he had a stormer last night!

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2018, 07:15:10 pm by adamtherover »
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11473039/Scunthorpe-1-2-doncaster

Scunthorpe were either really terrible or we look bloody good this season, the free flow and fast pace football we played was brilliant, Scunthorpe simply couldn’t keep up with us, as for Wilks.. extend his loan now for the season, his off the ball movement is brilliant and I think Marquis has found someone who he links up well with.

🔴⚪️🔴
how many times did marquis show frustration tho after Wilks shot when a pass was more likely..  so far it hasn't cost us, but he has to learn its a team game..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2018, 08:05:40 pm by drfchound »
Wow!

Haven’t got to a match yet due to holidays but that performance looked like something special. This might be a good year...

Regarding the penalty, it looked to me like Marquis placed it well, but the keeper was a yard off his line when he hit it.

This was an issue at the WC. Keepers are stepping up a yard or two off their line and it makes a massive difference to their ability to reach a ball placed just inside the post. One keeper at the WC took it to an extreme by initially standing a yard behind the line, then sprinting out as the striker ran up, so that by the time the ball reached the keeper, he must have been three yards off his line.

The officials are turning a blind eye to it, and I expect a lot more penalties to be saved this season if it’s not clamped down on.

BST, you obviously can't have noticed but for years keepers have been coming forward a yard or even two, off their line when facing penalties.
It obviously narrows down the angle that takers have to shoot at.
I always believe though that pen takers should put some pace on the ball, a la Harry Kane, as it reduces the keepers chances of saving the shot.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2018, 08:14:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I’ve seen it, but not the extent and the regularity of keepers coming off their line BEFORE the kick. It’s pretty much every penalty where that happens now. It’s blatant flouting of the Law and you never see it penalised.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2018, 08:22:14 pm by RedJ »
Caballero in the Liverpool v Man City League Cup final shootout the other year was virtually stood next to the penalty taker he came that far off his line. Shit all happened.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2018, 08:23:28 pm by drfchound »
I agree that it is against the rules and refs never order a re take.
However, it has been happening for some years.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2018, 12:03:30 am by jonnydog »

🔴⚪️🔴
how many times did marquis show frustration tho after Wilks shot when a pass was more likely..  so far it hasn't cost us, but he has to learn its a team game..

Agree with this, although it’s just the highlights and I wasn’t at the game so can’t say how often it happened. I just hope that JM’s confidence and performance aren’t affected in the long-term.

In saying that, Wilks quality is clear to see on the highlights alone, it’s good to have that type of player and quality here at the KM, albeit on loan. Doubt we’ll keep him long term, but if he continues as he is, he might have a good future ahead of him.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 16, 2018, 10:10:36 pm by bobjimwilly »
There is a defender inside the box when the penalty is kicked, so should also be re-taken because of that, but that is another rule refs are turning a blind eye to (where's Mr Kettle when you need him?)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012