Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:08:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Good performance today...  (Read 4485 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Good performance today...
« on August 28, 2010, 05:43:56 pm by RobTheRover »
...but Shelton is still giving me a heart attack!

He is the most laid back bloke ever, and sometimes I think that lethargy creeps into his game.  When he has to be strong and battle he does that well, but when its an easy touch or there is no immediate pressure on him he seems to switch off for a second or two.  I think another CB is a priority before the window closes (or a loan deal when the prem-25's are announced).

Otherwise, I thought we could have won that today by a landslide.  Duke in the Ull goal made a string of fine saves, and we must have had 8 or 9 good chances to score against Ull's 3 or 4.

Definitely a step in the right direction, and no coincidence that it occured on the day Oster came back in.  He was excellent.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re:Good performance today...
« Reply #1 on August 28, 2010, 05:51:08 pm by Superspy »
regarding oster, i think today showed how we've missed him, i love the way him, jimmy and copps link together, we looked really good going forward with those 3, although i think the fact that hull were giving copps 5 or 6 minutes at a time to put his cross over could have helped, lol.

we did look scary at the back though, i think its just a concentration issue with shelton, i mean fgs look at what he did that caused us to drop the goal....

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 28, 2010, 05:53:58 pm by Chris »
Rovers Player said that Martis looked a lot more comfortable with Sam Hird next to him. Was that the case?

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 28, 2010, 05:55:19 pm by Woodhead Passer »
When Oster plays, Sharp gets more chances. John played some great balls to Billy to run on to, just what we've missed. Oster was brilliant today, along with Woods. Everytime Martis gets the ball it makes me cringe, he was awful

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 28, 2010, 06:01:17 pm by 5minstogo »
Chris wrote:
Rovers Player said that Martis looked a lot more comfortable with Sam Hird next to him. Was that the case?

I was worried with these two paired together but I think we were a lot stronger when Hird came on. In fact I would be happy for Hird to keep his place.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 28, 2010, 06:04:02 pm by Superspy »
this might sound strange, but im assuming hird had a good half....because i didn't notice him, lol.

martis did seem to look more comfortable, but that doesnt mean he was comfortable per se, just that he wasnt as bad as when lockwood was on, :D

he still worries me.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 28, 2010, 06:04:04 pm by PaulRover08 »
Woods was brilliant today. Are you serious? He had 2 good moments, but so many more bad ones. How many times was he apologising for stray passes. His announcement as MOTM was met by universal laughter near us. Oster, Copps and Gillett had far better games than him. I've always rated Woods but he is out of the team for me when Hayter is fit and we should move Oster to where Woods has been.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 28, 2010, 06:05:33 pm by SkellowRover »
Chris wrote:

Yes, but this is one of the things i don't understand with SoD. We all know Lockwood hasn't been chapionship standard for 2 seasons, last season he even selected Jimmy over him at center half. So what's different this season? because we look shakey and like we could get caught all the time since he's been given another opportunity.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 28, 2010, 06:12:01 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Shelton massively improved after his f**k up!

biggle

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 28, 2010, 06:17:26 pm by biggle »
Agree with that. Actually after that error i thought he had a good game. Still scares the crap out of me though

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 28, 2010, 06:18:42 pm by Chris »
SkellowRover wrote:
Chris wrote:

Yes, but this is one of the things i don't understand with SoD. We all know Lockwood hasn't been chapionship standard for 2 seasons, last season he even selected Jimmy over him at center half. So what's different this season? because we look shakey and like we could get caught all the time since he's been given another opportunity.

Locky was injured for the majority of last season. Plus, we don't have Chambers fit to replace O'Connor at RB currently.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 28, 2010, 06:20:36 pm by SkellowRover »
Chris wrote:
SkellowRover wrote:
Chris wrote:

Locky was injured for the majority of last season. Plus, we don't have Chambers fit to replace O'Connor at RB currently.

I'd rather have Jimmy at CH and Dumbaya at full back then pair Lockwood and Martis together.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 28, 2010, 06:47:44 pm by Lesonthewest »
Oster was absolutely outstanding today, he is a joy to watch & I still cannot believe we have a player as good as him playing for us. He is the the most forward thinking player we have, great first touch, quick feet, rarely loses possession, & was still making runs behind their defence just before he was taken off. Result apart, he was a massive plus today. With that midfield, & when Stock clicks into gear, someone may be in for a bit of a hiding.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 28, 2010, 06:48:06 pm by Alan Southstand »
We must have the worst 2 CH's in the division on that 1st half showing and, if that's the case, it doesn't say much for Hull's chances this season!

We HAVE to get a CH in, and quick, if we are to entertain thoughts of getting anywhere near the play-off's.

Great result, but I wouldn't have said it was a great performance.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 28, 2010, 07:08:28 pm by grayx »
SkellowRover wrote:
Chris wrote:

We all know Lockwood hasn't been chapionship standard for 2 seasons, last season he even selected Jimmy over him at center half. So what's different this season? because we look shakey and like we could get caught all the time since he's been given another opportunity.

Totally agree, it stands out a mile. We are just a quality centre-half or two, an additional striker & Chambers back fit from being a very strong side.

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 28, 2010, 07:16:09 pm by redrover19 »
i was listening to radio sheffield's praise or grumble on the way home from rovers and they made the point that if we put JOC to centre back and when fit chambers to right back we would be a lot more solid at the back

i agree with this except from chambers i think dumbuya would be a lot better at right back purely because of his speed he played in the home friendlies against WBA and wednesday and put in two solid preformances and should be given his chance in my opinion

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 28, 2010, 07:22:09 pm by NathanDRFC »
Lesonthewest wrote:
Oster was absolutely outstanding today, he is a joy to watch & I still cannot believe we have a player as good as him playing for us. quote]

I can't believe he is not in the Welsh squad.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 28, 2010, 07:28:54 pm by Superspy »
redrover19 wrote:
i was listening to radio sheffield's praise or grumble on the way home from rovers and they made the point that if we put JOC to centre back and when fit chambers to right back we would be a lot more solid at the back

yup, same as a lot of us have been saying on here, which is exactly what happened last year, queue 4 wins and 4 clean sheets...

VikingJames

« Reply #18 on August 28, 2010, 08:08:33 pm by VikingJames »
Martis and Hird in the middle looks the way forward for me (unless we get someone in.)

Sam was very solid when he came in and sured us up alot. Locky was having a shocker, as was Shelton until Hird came in at the side of him.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 28, 2010, 08:18:38 pm by Viking Don »
Agree with that, Martis looked a lot better second half and Sam played his part so I'd stick with those two for now.

Had to laugh at Woods getting MOTM though, far too many misplaced passes, but he scored so that's enough for the folk that get to pick! Gillett for me, he's a little tiger in midfield and was all over the place again today.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 28, 2010, 08:25:58 pm by CusworthRovers »
It's amazing how we all see the game different.

I thought JOC gave a few stray passes away and apologies to his team-mates, but nothing is said.
I thought aside of a lapse for the goal Martis looked good today and played his best game. Yes, he scares the crap with his languid style, but he'll always do that, even when he's 110% on form. A lot more solid today in both halves.
I thought Locky also looked a lot more solid
I thought Friend was also a lot better, but his his very left footed, which causes most of his work to be done with about 6\" of grass to play with down the side line.
I thought Hird did well and no jitters or nerves that seem to dog him.

I thought the defence were more rock like today that for along time. I put this down to Stocks role, as mentioned in the other thread and the full backs seemed to get far more support in defence and attack.

Oster was very good and played around the middle which suits his game and the team so much.

After the debate last week, I have to say Woods was just MoM today though. A cracking and very busy/involved performance

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 28, 2010, 08:34:41 pm by keepmoatman »
an not a mention so far for motm about sully clear winner for me . i was at the other end of the pitch for one of his saves but it just looked like the one gordon banks did against the brazilians .never ceases to amaze me sully an long may it continue. :thumbsup:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 28, 2010, 08:36:26 pm by MrFrost »
Oster was awesome. Pure class.
Martis. Well, what can be said. Even in the second half the number of times he missed kicked his clearances. I really don't understand him.

I thought Hird did well, but i've always been a Hird fan and would have him in the starting line up in front of Locky.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 28, 2010, 08:44:05 pm by CusworthRovers »
keepmoatman wrote:
an not a mention so far for motm about sully clear winner for me . i was at the other end of the pitch for one of his saves but it just looked like the one gordon banks did against the brazilians .never ceases to amaze me sully an long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Couldn't work that one out near the end. Did Sulli do a Banksy or did JOC clear it off the line...........although MoM is a bit much, as he had few saves to make, plus his little pass to their CF

VikingJames

« Reply #24 on August 28, 2010, 08:45:37 pm by VikingJames »
I thought the chance near the end was cleared off the line by JOC? :S

I'm willing to be corrected by someone who was closer though. Looked like JOC cleared it from my seat in the South Stand.

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 28, 2010, 08:59:55 pm by keepmoatman »
oh ! joc cleared off line sorry couldnt see that from where i where .maybe not motm performance from sully then still had a good game . terrific stop from free kick through wall can only have seen the ball late .

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 28, 2010, 09:13:55 pm by Woodhead Passer »
I was just about to leave the ground and saw the clearance on the TV. Could not tell who cleared it. I wouldve thought sully as seen as JOC was dead on the line and the ball managed to land 5 yards behind the goal. Good clearance by any means, never mind who cleared it :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012