Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:18:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 5 games in.....  (Read 7048 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: 5 games in.....
« Reply #60 on August 29, 2022, 06:36:11 pm by selby »
  Panda, my advice is to bury yourself below it, if you rise above it you find yourself on the sky line and are there to be shot at.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 29, 2022, 06:55:26 pm by Panda »
  Panda, Daniel, your not kidding me about Six games and not judging anyone, if we had lost four, five, or six of those games you would have been making more noise than a can of marbles shook in a small toilet.
   Give over disappointment shows in every every word you write, you would have had the old clay pipe out leading the horse and cart to the guillotine with Gary McSheffrey on the cart, it's killing you.
  On a personal note, I can't stop smiling.

Another mindreader.

It's hilarious the way in which people with a different, more pessimistic opinion - no matter if valid in some ways - are pathologized with some degree of certainty by posters with no psychiatric qualifications or experience whatsoever.  :lol:

We have a different opinion from most and therefore there must be something wrong with us.

We saw that during Covid and look how that turned out eh?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 29, 2022, 07:23:13 pm by wilts rover »
  Panda, Daniel, your not kidding me about Six games and not judging anyone, if we had lost four, five, or six of those games you would have been making more noise than a can of marbles shook in a small toilet.
   Give over disappointment shows in every every word you write, you would have had the old clay pipe out leading the horse and cart to the guillotine with Gary McSheffrey on the cart, it's killing you.
  On a personal note, I can't stop smiling.

Another mindreader.

It's hilarious the way in which people with a different, more pessimistic opinion - no matter if valid in some ways - are pathologized with some degree of certainty by posters with no psychiatric qualifications or experience whatsoever.  :lol:

We have a different opinion from most and therefore there must be something wrong with us.

We saw that during Covid and look how that turned out eh?

Bloke newly registered on the forum is already making judgements on other users after five days of posting.

Its almost as if...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 29, 2022, 08:33:01 pm by idler »
I was thinking the same Wilts.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 29, 2022, 09:23:25 pm by Filo »
Panda, genuine question, have you been here before, recently, under a different username?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 29, 2022, 09:54:55 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Speaking of posters appearing/re-appearing what happened to the chap who was both quite volatile and friendly? Wasn't on here long but I quite liked his input.

Not a lot to go on but I'm sure someone will cotton on!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 29, 2022, 09:57:06 pm by selby »
  We might be only six games into this season unbeaten , but, add the last three games of last season at a higher level with a worse team and the management team are going for their tenth game unbeaten in league games on Saturday, And still you have doubts?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 29, 2022, 10:10:18 pm by IDM »

Nope..  Different opinions are just that - but it is equally valid for any opinion to be questioned, especially if the reasoning behind it is questionable.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the poster, just the argument itself.  Pisses me off when people say "it's a forum I'll say what I like" and get all mardy when their "opinion" is validly questioned.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 29, 2022, 10:20:10 pm by Filo »
Speaking of posters appearing/re-appearing what happened to the chap who was both quite volatile and friendly? Wasn't on here long but I quite liked his input.

I think we are on similar trains of thought

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 29, 2022, 10:32:41 pm by Lesonthewest »

Nope..  Different opinions are just that - but it is equally valid for any opinion to be questioned, especially if the reasoning behind it is questionable.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the poster, just the argument itself.  Pisses me off when people say "it's a forum I'll say what I like" and get all mardy when their "opinion" is validly questioned.

Absolutely agree, when comments are validly questioned, what pisses me off is when some posters resort to petty name calling, or saying there is something wrong with posters because they have a different opinion, whether it be right or wrong.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 30, 2022, 12:12:46 am by ditch_drfc »
My personal view is we've managed to string these results together in spite of McSheffrey, not because of him.

I think the growing list of injuries is a concern too. Why are we suffering with so many, mirroring last season with the injury list in a lot of respects.

I'm certainly glad we're doing well. Automatic promotion = a successful season in my book.

Typical how the above post has caused so much outrage when it's actually a pretty fair post. Yeah, like 99% of us I'd disagree with the "in spite of GM" but after last season I'm still not 100% convinced GM is a fantastic manager. You have to earn trust and respect. He's on his way now, and fingers crossed we keep on at it.

What's really telling is how everyone has piled on but nobody mentioned anything about the injury concerns raised and parallels to last season.

We've improved lots of areas but this long term injury problem continues.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 30, 2022, 01:14:35 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe there's just a scepticism of anything that comes from the "Support the Team, Not the Regime" Netto Brigade, insisting GM was the wrong choice, the cheap option and the quickest route to the conference.

Quite an irony playing the abuse card, given the personal abuse thrown GBs way in particular. Of course, they will call it satire when it suits.

I don't think anyone is hailing GM as a fantastic manager but he's made good positive strides in less than 12 months in the job so most folk recognise his potential, whilst also recognising the support he's getting from the appointment of Copps, Eyre and others.

What have the injury concerns got to do with his or the management teams competence in the job? If you were to do an analysis of the injuries and cause, then good luck to anyone if they can come up with a conclusion, particularly since three of the long term absentees were carried over from last season.

I hope the Netto lot just drop the conspiracy theories and simply "Support the team" and wear the red and white with pride.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 30, 2022, 04:29:23 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I’m chewing on some bamboo, this looks like getting interesting  ;)

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 30, 2022, 06:01:29 am by Avsuptem »
We are on our best run in recent memory. I don't understand why people can't just enjoy it while it lasts.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 30, 2022, 08:03:41 am by knockers »

It’s the guy from the High peaks. Mr Handshake!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 30, 2022, 08:23:33 am by Jonathan »
My personal view is we've managed to string these results together in spite of McSheffrey, not because of him.

I think the growing list of injuries is a concern too. Why are we suffering with so many, mirroring last season with the injury list in a lot of respects.

I'm certainly glad we're doing well. Automatic promotion = a successful season in my book.

Typical how the above post has caused so much outrage when it's actually a pretty fair post. Yeah, like 99% of us I'd disagree with the "in spite of GM" but after last season I'm still not 100% convinced GM is a fantastic manager. You have to earn trust and respect. He's on his way now, and fingers crossed we keep on at it.

What's really telling is how everyone has piled on but nobody mentioned anything about the injury concerns raised and parallels to last season.

We've improved lots of areas but this long term injury problem continues.

I don’t think it’s much of a “pile on” is it?

I think you’ve said yourself that the “in spite of” comment is a bit daft, and of course that’ll get a reaction (like the daft PE Teacher jibes elsewhere) and maybe the odd reply oversteps the mark slightly. But I think a “pile on” needs a bit of perspective here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:45:16 am by Jonathan »

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 30, 2022, 03:08:05 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

It’s the guy from the High peaks. Mr Handshake!

Colin Douglas Handshake!

Name failed me. Hope he's well.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 30, 2022, 05:41:15 pm by belton rover »
I think what we have seen so far are many elements a team needs to become champions: luck, determination, great finishing, playing as a team, winning having been poor, individual skill, never say die attitude  and some bloody good football.
This from just six games.
All that is missing is bouncebackability and giving someone a ‘damned good thrashing’.

I’m very excited.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 30, 2022, 06:01:39 pm by RobTheRover »
I think what we have seen so far are many elements a team needs to become champions: luck, determination, great finishing, playing as a team, winning having been poor, individual skill, never say die attitude  and some bloody good football.
All that is missing is bouncebackability and giving someone a ‘damned good thrashing’.

I’m very excited.

Just two clichés off a full house, eh Belton?  I'm impressed.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 30, 2022, 06:28:10 pm by belton rover »

I’m very excited.

Just two clichés off a full house, eh Belton?  I'm impressed.
We’ve had the rub of the green, too.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 30, 2022, 07:04:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Daniel Smith has a valid point but it looks like this forum is following the societal trend of shutting down anyone with an opposing view.

It is a results business and we are near the top of the league and unbeaten and for those fans who simply look at results as markers of managerial ability then it is difficult to argue against their point.

However, many of the results this season have been as a result of good fortune.

How many people at the Sutton game thought we'd even have a decent shot on target let alone score with 5 minutes to go? Lincoln anyone?

Outplayed by Salford before gradually growing into the game.

Saving a draw at Wimbledon after going 2 down and having to react rather than be proactive.

We got the win at Northampton but it was a late penalty (they all count) but subs weren't made to try and get the win before the penalty was given.

Stockport we needed a last gasp winner after playing against 10 men at home for an hour.

Yes, results have been fantastic but we've been extremely fortunate in a lot of games. Cal it spirit and never say die attitude if you want but this doesn't have much to do with McSheffery who still looks like he's putting out 11 players and hoping for lady luck to appear. At some point this luck will run out and then it is all about how he responds and how the team responds.

To GM's credit, he seems to identified some useful additions in the summer and brought them in and getting a side to gel within 5/6 league games is very difficult. However, he did bring in some crap last season ( and continued to play them when everyone could see they were crap) other than Josh Martin i'd say.

Before last season ended i said to a mate that if GM is kept on then he'd be sacked or have fans clamouring for his sacking by Christmas and i have to stick to that, despite our league position.

6 league games when we've done well doesn't gloss over the 6 months of absolutely clueless management offered up by GM last season for me and i'll wait a while longer before truly believing we've got the right man and truly turned a corner.

No one is getting shut down. It's a debate. Point made, counter point made, further counter point made.

You can clearly see the influence of Steve Eyre in performances, and this is the point about GMc learning. Performances at the end of last season's disaster show improved markedly, and if it had happened a few games earlier you could argue, as unjust as it would have been on balance, we could have stayed up.  GMc is soaking up info and is getting excellent help to process it. It's part of his development. He's getting there.

I welcome a debate. Just not abuse. My post earlier was called "the daftest post on here this season". It was also implied I was on drugs which had "clearly addled [my] noggin."

(I know you didn't post that. Just trying to highlight there are some on this forum who don't welcome debate - just abuse).

I apologise Daniel. I was not intending to be abusive, but the contrast between last season and this, now that McS and Steve have had time to do what they’ve done, is night and day. To say the improvement is in spite of McS and not due to him, is daft. In my view.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 07:46:38 pm by PDX_Rover »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 30, 2022, 07:47:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
Daniel Smith has a valid point but it looks like this forum is following the societal trend of shutting down anyone with an opposing view.

It is a results business and we are near the top of the league and unbeaten and for those fans who simply look at results as markers of managerial ability then it is difficult to argue against their point.

However, many of the results this season have been as a result of good fortune.

How many people at the Sutton game thought we'd even have a decent shot on target let alone score with 5 minutes to go? Lincoln anyone?

Outplayed by Salford before gradually growing into the game.

Saving a draw at Wimbledon after going 2 down and having to react rather than be proactive.

We got the win at Northampton but it was a late penalty (they all count) but subs weren't made to try and get the win before the penalty was given.

Stockport we needed a last gasp winner after playing against 10 men at home for an hour.

Yes, results have been fantastic but we've been extremely fortunate in a lot of games. Cal it spirit and never say die attitude if you want but this doesn't have much to do with McSheffery who still looks like he's putting out 11 players and hoping for lady luck to appear. At some point this luck will run out and then it is all about how he responds and how the team responds.

To GM's credit, he seems to identified some useful additions in the summer and brought them in and getting a side to gel within 5/6 league games is very difficult. However, he did bring in some crap last season ( and continued to play them when everyone could see they were crap) other than Josh Martin i'd say.

Before last season ended i said to a mate that if GM is kept on then he'd be sacked or have fans clamouring for his sacking by Christmas and i have to stick to that, despite our league position.

6 league games when we've done well doesn't gloss over the 6 months of absolutely clueless management offered up by GM last season for me and i'll wait a while longer before truly believing we've got the right man and truly turned a corner.

No one is getting shut down. It's a debate. Point made, counter point made, further counter point made.

You can clearly see the influence of Steve Eyre in performances, and this is the point about GMc learning. Performances at the end of last season's disaster show improved markedly, and if it had happened a few games earlier you could argue, as unjust as it would have been on balance, we could have stayed up.  GMc is soaking up info and is getting excellent help to process it. It's part of his development. He's getting there.

I welcome a debate. Just not abuse. My post earlier was called "the daftest post on here this season". It was also implied I was on drugs which had "clearly addled [my] noggin."

(I know you didn't post that. Just trying to highlight there are some on this forum who don't welcome debate - just abuse).

I apologise Daniel. I was intending to be abusive, but the contrast between last season and this, now that McS and Steve have had time to do what they’ve done, is night and day. To say the improvement is in spite of McS and not due to him, is daft. In my view.
I think you’ve missed a ‘not’ out, PDX.

Whoops. Corrected.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 04, 2022, 12:11:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Indication of how well we have done.

Opposition have won 2 points against us in 5 games. But in their other 20 games, they've won 31 points.

Update.

Opponents have taken 2 points off us in 6 games. Historically bad bottom of table, worse than 97/98 form.

In their 30 games not involving us, they've won 49 points. Play off form.

Update.

Even after today, our opponents have taken 5 points from 7 games against us.

In their other 42 games, they've taken 69 points.

In other words, our 7 games have been against, on average, sides in the sort of early season form that woukd see them get 6th place most seasons. And we've taken 2 points a game.

A loss like today was inevitable given how hard our start has been.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012