Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:47:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Elliott Ward going back to Coventry  (Read 3319 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Elliott Ward going back to Coventry
« on March 14, 2010, 07:57:59 am by RobTheRover »
Taking a lead from Rigo's point in the Mark Wilson thread about Ward going back to Cov, does the fact we are now 4 points off the playoffs (and with two urguable winnable games in the next week) change anything?

Is it time for the board to take one final risk and extend his loan for the rest of the season?  SOD has already said Ward is a player we'd like to sign in the summer, and we know he fits in here.  That last playoff slot is so close we can taste it.  Beating Peterborough and the Blunts thia week would make things very interesting, and Ward would certainly be a key player in this photo finish for that 6th place slot.

We may never get a better chance to earn some serious money.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re:Elliott Ward going back to Coventry
« Reply #1 on March 14, 2010, 08:24:31 am by Alan Southstand »
Not to mention what getting in the play-off's would do to ST sales, eh Rob?

But why let an unbelievable chance like this get in the way of 'running a tight ship'!

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 14, 2010, 08:48:43 am by Bikka »
If you have not got the money, then don't buy it, too many other clubs have shelled out money they don't have.

We arn't safe yet never mind play off's.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 14, 2010, 08:58:02 am by washyrover »
Not a good idea to spend money we do not have but pushing or if we make the play offs could be worth a million plus for the club.Could be worth a gamble and could help with early bird season ticket sales for the club and good P R.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 14, 2010, 09:03:12 am by Norfolk N Chance »
The relegation talk suits me fine .....very quiet coming up on everyone blind side !

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 14, 2010, 09:42:46 am by Shawndrfc »
I really like ward and i think him and martis would be a feared partnership. But if SoD says we cant afford him then we'll have to wait to the summer. Hopefully Ward will go back be in the cold again and offer to take a paycut to come back. It could happen  :laugh:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 14, 2010, 10:24:45 am by mushRTID »
Ward has done well, but if we were to 'push the boat out' in the summer I would prefer Shackell to join us.

Obviously both would be a dream but I cant see it. Shackell is the better defender for me.

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on March 14, 2010, 10:51:34 am by Jonathan »
Ward has been excellent, up there with John Oster as the best player on the pitch yesterday. He brings a calm assurance to the backline and is a good complement to any of the other central defenders we can field. It's clear he has no future at Covenry and would stay for longer this season if that was sorted out between the clubs, what we do with regard to possibly extending his stay will speak volumes about what the plan actually is from the club.

I do not think that another two months of a loan deal would put the future of the club at risk, it may say something about whether we do want to do any more than avoid relegation. I might add that 'merely' achieving safety would be absolutely fine for me, it would exceed my personal expectations, but on the other hand there have been regular top-level statements in the press about dreaming of the play offs....

rhinoplod

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 14, 2010, 10:57:35 am by rhinoplod »
Does anyone know how well this ticket offer of 6 games for 5 has sold? Surely that should give some indication to the club of likely final attendances and whether sticking our neck out to get Ward for longer could be worth the gamble?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 14, 2010, 05:44:06 pm by RobTheRover »
I just think success breeds success, and a Rovers team on the fringes of the playoff AND IN WITH A SERIOUS SHOUT will undoubtedly put bums on seats.  Whether thats enough to cover the additional outlay of Elliott Ward's wages or not is another matter, but like Jon says, its potentially for 2 months.  Assuming he's on a similar wedge to Shackell, thats c£50k outlay with the chance of £1m+ if it comes off.  I like those odds, plus the effect on ST sales can only be positive.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 14, 2010, 05:52:07 pm by Northants Nomad »
Can we replace/join the Sharpshooter fund with a \"Ward-Stopper\" Fund?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 14, 2010, 06:25:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ward joined us to cover the injury crisis. Now that is easing with Martis and Lockwood coming back I think it would be bad man management to spend money we haven't got when we already have players in the wings to come back in.

For me Shackell and either Martis or Ward would be a strong back two but then we'd lose the pace and quick thinking of JOC !!??

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 14, 2010, 07:40:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Ward's been great for us, I think yesterday was his worst performance for us and he still played well. But, I don't think him leaving will impact on us, Martis is back and is just as good IMO, and in the summer I'd love to sign him but if it's one or the other we have to go for Shackell.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 15, 2010, 09:57:02 am by Al4475 »
What do you guys and gals all think of this?

Mere heresay and all that, but a mate of mine (not a Rovers Fan, doesn't even live round here) has heard - like I said - pure heresay - that Coventry are unwilling to loan him back to us because we are now seen as a genuine play-off threat to them!

I know our club's position on this - but does make you think a little!

Thoughts?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 15, 2010, 11:27:11 am by Filo »
Sheffield United are looking for a centre back on loan to cover while Morgan is out, could he line up against us on Saturday?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2010, 01:08:37 pm by bedale rover »
Al4475 wrote:
What do you guys and gals all think of this?

Mere heresay and all that, but a mate of mine (not a Rovers Fan, doesn't even live round here) has heard - like I said - pure heresay - that Coventry are unwilling to loan him back to us because we are now seen as a genuine play-off threat to them!

I know our club's position on this - but does make you think a little!

Thoughts?

so they wouldnt loan him to sheff u on that basis either

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 15, 2010, 07:44:40 pm by Al4475 »
You wouldn't have thought so unless of course, with things as they are over at our Blunt friend's place, Cov don't see them as a serious play-off threat! Ha!

Can't see it being true, as I said earlier mere heresay, but you never know!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012