Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:52:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Today's Press Conference  (Read 2841 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Today's Press Conference
« on July 07, 2010, 03:51:32 pm by RobTheRover »
Your VSC had representation there, and video and photos were taken, plus had a chat with Billy's Dad!

I'll let BobJimWilly tell you all about the day when he gets back from the Keepmoat!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re:Today's Press Conference
« Reply #1 on July 07, 2010, 04:31:51 pm by bobjimwilly »
Uploaded with permission from Doncaster Rovers FC:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx5z-Y6TCEs[/video]

Full conference without editing - shot on an iPod nano and lighting wasn't the greatest, so not the best quality :blush:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 07, 2010, 04:44:07 pm by idler »
I ad to turn the volume up a few notches for Sean but it certainly makes my day. I never ever dared dream that we would sign someone like Billy, and for three years as well. :cheer:

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 07, 2010, 04:48:24 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Great stuff. Thanks alot for that bjw.

What an odd couple JR and SO'D make.

JR lording it up (and rightly so), with O'Driscoll understandably looking like he'd rather be anywhere else but there. :laugh:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 07, 2010, 04:55:22 pm by bobjimwilly »
As mentioned in the post by bobbymax, had a quick word with Billys dad whilst I was waiting for my bloody phone to turn on  ( :blush: ) and he said it was an easy decision for Billy to come to DRFC. He knows how much the fans wanted him to come, and he didn't want to stay at Brammall Lane and had no interest in going to Burnley, even though they were offering much more money than we were.

So refreshing to here a professional footballer turning down the most money for the love of the game!

:scarf:

VikingJames

« Reply #5 on July 07, 2010, 05:04:52 pm by VikingJames »
bobjimwilly wrote:
As mentioned in the post by bobbymax, had a quick word with Billys dad whilst I was waiting for my bloody phone to turn on  ( :blush: ) and he said it was an easy decision for Billy to come to DRFC. He knows how much the fans wanted him to come, and he didn't want to stay at Brammall Lane and had no interest in going to Burnley, even though they were offering much more money than we were.

So refreshing to here a professional footballer turning down the most money for the love of the game!

:scarf:

That bit is fantastic to read, like you say.

I remember when Billy Sharp was banging in the goals for Scunny 3 or 4 years ago, and I remember thinking \"I'd love to see a player like that at Rovers, we'd never be able to afford it though.\"

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 07, 2010, 05:23:44 pm by Jonathan »
VikingJames wrote:
I remember when Billy Sharp was banging in the goals for Scunny 3 or 4 years ago, and I remember thinking \"I'd love to see a player like that at Rovers, we'd never be able to afford it though.\"

It's an amazing day for us. Huge credit must go to JR and the board for demonstrating the level of their ambition for the club and backing Sean O'Driscoll to bring in his number one target. Similarly, massive praise for Billy himself for staying true to his word and showing that, if he couldn't stay at Sheffield United, moving to Rovers was his number one choice. No doubt he could have gone to a bigger club for more money, but he wants to play for us and that speaks great volumes for the way the club is run and what we're trying to achieve.

I never thought I'd see the day we spent over a million on a player, but even taking the money out of the equation, the main thing is that we have got a striker that is genuinely one of the best in the division, has exactly the right attitude and desire, and has already earned hero status amongst the fans here.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 07, 2010, 05:24:38 pm by keyser_soze »
Spot on, and very refreshing as you say. Staying local, at a club you've spent some time and know you'll be appreciated should always win over hard cash. Billy's attitude has been fantastic, there'll be a statue of him outside the KM before he's done!

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on July 07, 2010, 05:36:40 pm by VikingJames »
I also had a flashback today to when we broke our record fee to sign Sean Thornton for £175k.

The phrase \"long way in a short space of time\" couldn't be more apt.

Well done to the board and the management for making this happen.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 07, 2010, 05:39:16 pm by Filo »
I too echo the above sentiments, this shows Billy is a man of high principles and not a football mercenary, personal happiness wins over personal wealth every time! B)  B)  B)

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 07, 2010, 06:13:14 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
Yes fully agree with the above statements and thanks for the video ..nice one

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 07, 2010, 06:17:40 pm by mushRTID »
On calendar in a min.

southstandclez

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 07, 2010, 06:30:11 pm by southstandclez »
:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
Well I aint posted for ages but had to log in today, welcome back Billy and thankyou for choosing Rovers instead of Burnley.  I would like to think the Wednesday away game sprang to his mind when making his decison, with every Rovers fan there singing his name, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up so Billy must have felt it 10 times more.

Great Thanks to Billy, JR and the board and all at DRFC for making this the best day to be Rover since we beat Leeds at Wembley.  I am gonna have a bet now that we go up this season :):):):)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012