Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:28:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It’s time.  (Read 3858 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: It’s time.
« Reply #30 on May 05, 2024, 12:09:46 am by Colin C No.3 »
Question for all the data haters - if it’s such nonsense, why does every football club in the country rely on it?
I'm 63 this year and have supported my club since i was eleven, not once have me and my mates sat on a coach or train on our way to a away match or in a Donny boozer before a home match and said "Anyone seen the latest data? Because that will really influence my love of our club today!

You’re quite right. When you’re on your way to watch your team play you’re buzzing. That’s ‘the love’ & long may it remain.

We want ‘bairns’ in their mum & dad’s arms at games. Seven to ten year olds, twelve to fourteen, fifteen to eighteen, eighteen to eighty.

When 15,000 turned out to watch Rovers’ inaugural game at the Keepmoat, what percentage do you think had looked at ‘the stats’ before they attended that day?

When 25,000 plus turned up at Wembley to see us beat ‘mighty’ Leeds & win promotion into the Championship, who ‘fretted’ about xg’s?

I follow the Rovers because they happen to be ‘my club’. Through thick or thin.

Do I really need a ‘bookie’ to tell me the odds on us winning or losing this or that game to influence whether or not I attend a game or believe a certain set of unprecedented results would see us in ‘X’ position?

Nah.

Not for me ta.

But all the best to you who ‘feel the need’.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 12:13:52 am by Colin C No.3 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 05, 2024, 12:19:00 am by Iberian Red »
This thread is like a meeting of The Flat Earth Society.

"F#£kin,science, stats,load of shite"

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 05, 2024, 12:23:34 am by NigelJ »
Question for all the data haters - if it’s such nonsense, why does every football club in the country rely on it?
I'm 63 this year and have supported my club since i was eleven, not once have me and my mates sat on a coach or train on our way to a away match or in a Donny boozer before a home match and said "Anyone seen the latest data? Because that will really influence my love of our club today!

You’re quite right. When you’re on your way to watch your team play you’re buzzing. That’s ‘the love’ & long may it remain.

We want ‘bairns’ in their mum & dad’s arms at games. Seven to ten year olds, twelve to fourteen, fifteen to eighteen, eighteen to eighty.
Don't let any eleven year olds in, we don't want them!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 05, 2024, 07:05:58 am by GazLaz »

They don’t. They use it. It is an element. A point of interest and reference but they don’t ‘rely’ on it.

You are wrong in your assessment of its influence in modern day football. Decent example perhaps being Luton. They openly say, without pivoting their approach to being data driven they wouldn’t be in the Premier League. It’s no longer a reference point for most clubs, it’s the back bone of their operation.

That part of football not being for every fan is fine, I’ve said before, there are many different facets of football that different people get different things out of… but without being patronising, smug or whatever else will get thrown at me. If you don’t realise the value of data and accept it’s massive importance in football (in life in general these days) it’s because you don’t understand it and how it is applied.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 05, 2024, 08:15:59 am by Bollinger »

They don’t. They use it. It is an element. A point of interest and reference but they don’t ‘rely’ on it.

You are wrong in your assessment of its influence in modern day football. Decent example perhaps being Luton. They openly say, without pivoting their approach to being data driven they wouldn’t be in the Premier League. It’s no longer a reference point for most clubs, it’s the back bone of their operation.

That part of football not being for every fan is fine, I’ve said before, there are many different facets of football that different people get different things out of… but without being patronising, smug or whatever else will get thrown at me. If you don’t realise the value of data and accept it’s massive importance in football (in life in general these days) it’s because you don’t understand it and how it is applied.

I know more than you would realise. My job takes me into 52 of the FL clubs on a regular basis. It’s the emphasis of the use of the words ‘rely’ I am objecting to. Inevitably this came up at a coaching seminar a few months ago and one well known manager pointed out that, ‘It’s A tool we use. It’s not THE tool.’

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 05, 2024, 09:39:36 am by GazLaz »

I know more than you would realise. My job takes me into 52 of the FL clubs on a regular basis. It’s the emphasis of the use of the words ‘rely’ I am objecting to. Inevitably this came up at a coaching seminar a few months ago and one well known manager pointed out that, ‘It’s A tool we use. It’s not THE tool.’

Obviously not the only tool. Doesn’t mean it can’t be the most important.

Once you can get an accurate as possible reflection of what is happening during a game of football you can use it for pretty much anything (football related obviously!). There is so much happening on a pitch, 22 players, thousands of actions a game, various hand stated during the match etc that it’s impossible for a human to consume everything. Analytics is the only way to get anywhere close.

It’s there and can give you a huge head start. Take what I do for example. We have been the most successful (ROI wise) football betting syndicate in the country in recent seasons. Obviously much much larger syndicates, of which there are only a few leg really, have their ROI limited due to scale etc, but within that sector we have done great. The reason for that is that we have been the best at adding that “human” input into our trading. Thats our edge. I understand the necessity of that as much as anyone.

The thing is, without having models that can also compete with the very very best (Asian bettors, Tony Bloom and Matt Benham and the like) we wouldn’t have a really accurate baseline figure to allow that human input and decision making at the end, to have the impact it does. We are looking for 3%, 4%, 5% (if that) mistakes in the markets. It’s the same in a professional football environment. You can set up a really solid structure based on data and then gain a real edge by getting the human, unquantifiable stuff right as well. The main key to this data structure is that you can maintain consistency LONG TERM, that consistency is much harder to maintain using human decision making alone.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 10:05:11 am by GazLaz »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 05, 2024, 10:03:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
And different clubs use it to different levels.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 05, 2024, 10:47:28 am by The Dav »
My old director once said to me ‘if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it’ this was business related off course, and I get we’re talking football now,  however I do recognise that while we are all fans, football at a league level is a business ! Look at the wonga involved !

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 05, 2024, 11:13:43 am by graingrover »
It is exciting to imagine what generative AI will do for football  anaytics .

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 05, 2024, 12:18:52 pm by Avsuptem »
It's a well known fact that 90% of statistics are made up and the other half are just wrong anyway.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 05, 2024, 03:11:23 pm by WarwickRover »

Obviously not the only tool. Doesn’t mean it can’t be the most important.

Once you can get an accurate as possible reflection of what is happening during a game of football you can use it for pretty much anything (football related obviously!). There is so much happening on a pitch, 22 players, thousands of actions a game, various hand stated during the match etc that it’s impossible for a human to consume everything. Analytics is the only way to get anywhere close.

It’s there and can give you a huge head start. Take what I do for example. We have been the most successful (ROI wise) football betting syndicate in the country in recent seasons. Obviously much much larger syndicates, of which there are only a few leg really, have their ROI limited due to scale etc, but within that sector we have done great. The reason for that is that we have been the best at adding that “human” input into our trading. Thats our edge. I understand the necessity of that as much as anyone.

The thing is, without having models that can also compete with the very very best (Asian bettors, Tony Bloom and Matt Benham and the like) we wouldn’t have a really accurate baseline figure to allow that human input and decision making at the end, to have the impact it does. We are looking for 3%, 4%, 5% (if that) mistakes in the markets. It’s the same in a professional football environment. You can set up a really solid structure based on data and then gain a real edge by getting the human, unquantifiable stuff right as well. The main key to this data structure is that you can maintain consistency LONG TERM, that consistency is much harder to maintain using human decision making alone.

I agree.... modelling will outperform solely human input over the medium to long term ..... hands down IMO

BTW is 3%, 4%, 5% (which IMO is a fantastic return) ROI%? (i'm assuming it is)

A few questions please, what is the volume of bets you would typically have on a full UK Saturday programme and do you bet on other european leagues?

I appreciate slightly off the original topic but if you wish to take any response off line then fine or if you wish not to answer then also fine

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 05, 2024, 03:15:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Winnings tax free so you’d only need to be confident of return of much less eg 3pc to be net well ahead of anything you can get as fixed income or savings, and not too far off long run net equity returns factoring in CGT.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 12, 2024, 11:39:12 am by GazLaz »
Right then, £100 the final figure? Just call up and make a payment to the Academy, right?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012