Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:09:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coldest ever at a Rovers game  (Read 1128 times)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Coldest ever at a Rovers game
« on April 22, 2024, 01:21:26 pm by turnbull for england »
Seemed a shame for Hartlepool to miss out on a mention, doesn't matter which game always the same up there!  I do remember driving to a night game with snow though.

Also a mention for Grimsby in Jpt that went to pens , wind rain almost hori

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

karldew

• Forum Member
Re: Coldest ever at a Rovers game
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2024, 01:47:00 pm by karldew »
Huddersfield and/or Oldham

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2024, 01:51:43 pm by Scooter »
Oldham for me. Bloody Baltic

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2024, 01:52:28 pm by curley »
Huddersfield Jan 2004 :cold:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2024, 02:09:17 pm by selby »
  Darlington years ago, that long ago Ray Yeomans played for Darlo, took the wife to be when courting who wore high heeled shoes.
  We were stood on half an inch of packed snow and ice on the terracing, Adele never went to another away game again and the heater on a Wolsey Hornet in them days nowhere near as efficient as in modern cars, we were still freezing all the way back home.
  Needless to say Adele reminded me of that occasion when anybody mentioned being cold.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 07:01:48 pm by selby »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 22, 2024, 05:04:23 pm by Donnywolf »
Yeoman " Instant Mash Coleman"  as we you to say at Danum in 64 65 66 ish

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 22, 2024, 06:02:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Seemed a shame for Hartlepool to miss out on a mention, doesn't matter which game always the same up there!  I do remember driving to a night game with snow though.

Hartlepool, early 90s. So cold, even Uncle Jack who was on the away end bottled it and headed for the changing rooms.

There's bits of my extremities that have never had functioining nerves since that night.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 22, 2024, 06:51:54 pm by selby »
Wolfie  when anyone get's  on about hard men in football I think of him and Scouler at Newcastle, two hard men who were as broad as they were tall and hard as nails, and could play a bit as well.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 22, 2024, 07:02:37 pm by scawsby steve »
Games in the 1950s when the pitch was covered in snow and ice.

Orange ball and lines marked out in blue. Those were the days.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2024, 07:22:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Scarborough away in the FA Cup 2003 (the "Where's yer mini-bus" game).

The ice on the seats was an inch thick.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2024, 07:22:51 pm by Jimmydee »
Can anyone remember when we were in the championship and the 2 brothers from Askern had a bet with each or by wearing rovers shirt and shorts, no vests and sat watching the games through autumn and winter? They must have been freezing, they were only 8 stone in weight.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2024, 07:30:28 pm by CJK »
I'll go with Hartlepool as well. A very cold Tuesday night in November 2006, the early rounds of the famous JPT win.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2024, 07:31:32 pm by Scooter »
Games in the 1950s when the pitch was covered in snow and ice.

Orange ball and lines marked out in blue. Those were the days.

I read that with a Ron Manager voice

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2024, 07:41:49 pm by tommy toes »
Said this before.
Kingstonian away. We won 1-0.Duerden.
Stood behind the goal with an icy wind blowing straight at us.Was absolutely frozen.
Must have been the coldest day that theer Lundun had since the Thames used to freeze over.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2024, 09:30:49 pm by IDM »
Can anyone remember when we were in the championship and the 2 brothers from Askern had a bet with each or by wearing rovers shirt and shorts, no vests and sat watching the games through autumn and winter? They must have been freezing, they were only 8 stone in weight.

Did they sit in the SW corner.?  If so, they spent half the game in the concourse drinking..!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 22, 2024, 09:36:25 pm by drfchound »

Did they sit in the SW corner.?  If so, they spent half the game in the concourse drinking..!!

They must have been the people we were talking about back in March IDM.

Quote from: drfchound on March 28, 2024, 03:44:13 pm
Who mentioned full kit gloster.
A football shirt is replica kit as far as I’m concerned matey.
In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen a grown up fan in full replica kit, shirt, shorts and socks, at a football match.

Quote from: IDM on March 28, 2024, 04:12:41 pm
I have..  early seasons in the KM, SW corner.  Two brothers in their mid 20s (?) in full kit.  Always arrived late and left early for ht drinking.. sometimes missed all the second half.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:40:09 pm by drfchound »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 22, 2024, 09:38:07 pm by IDM »
Must be.!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 22, 2024, 09:38:53 pm by selby »
  Darlington; Ice station Oldham, and Hartlepool some very cold memories there and I wouldn't change a moment.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 23, 2024, 05:05:34 am by Jimmydee »

They must have been the people we were talking about back in March IDM.

Quote from: drfchound on March 28, 2024, 03:44:13 pm
Who mentioned full kit gloster.
A football shirt is replica kit as far as I’m concerned matey.
In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen a grown up fan in full replica kit, shirt, shorts and socks, at a football match.

Quote from: IDM on March 28, 2024, 04:12:41 pm
I have..  early seasons in the KM, SW corner.  Two brothers in their mid 20s (?) in full kit.  Always arrived late and left early for ht drinking.. sometimes missed all the second half.

Yes, that was them, they did spend a lot of time in the concourse, they had a deal that whoever nesh’s first, has to pay £100.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 23, 2024, 10:07:59 am by One_Matty_Lucas »

I wasn't able to find the highlights on Youtube but I seem to remember Ben Smith kicking the ball and it flying back into our goal (either directly or to their player).
We outnumbered the home fans that night, I remember the Stewards being under prepared.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 23, 2024, 11:48:29 am by roversdude »
Went to Northamptons old ground and the heater didn’t work in old man’s car.
Recently has to be Burton away under Wellens

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 23, 2024, 12:31:06 pm by drfchound »

I wasn't able to find the highlights on Youtube but I seem to remember Ben Smith kicking the ball and it flying back into our goal (either directly or to their player).
We outnumbered the home fans that night, I remember the Stewards being under prepared.

That goal kick was headed back into our net by our defender (maybe Matt Mills).
Had it blown straight back into our goal I think it would have resulted in a corner being awarded.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 23, 2024, 12:48:00 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

Had it blown straight back into our goal I think it would have resulted in a corner being awarded.

Wasn't sure if it was a Goal Kick or not, up there with the strangest goals I have seen live.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 23, 2024, 01:02:18 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Gills away on a cold Tuesday night about 15ish years ago. Them scaffolds don't make for any warmth

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 23, 2024, 01:12:06 pm by drfchound »

Wasn't sure if it was a Goal Kick or not, up there with the strangest goals I have seen live.

It was a goal kick.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 23, 2024, 01:26:38 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

It was a goal kick.

Wasn't a goal kick, but definitely a Matt Mills own goal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-ywD3rLIo

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 23, 2024, 01:35:11 pm by drfchound »

It was a goal kick.

Wow, I was certain it was.
I was right behind the kick too.
Apologies.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 23, 2024, 01:41:58 pm by Jimmydee »
We had a cold coach return journey when the coach window was smashed when we were leaving Port Vale on a Friday night F.A cup match.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 23, 2024, 02:07:06 pm by turnbull for england »

It was a goal kick.

Wow, I was certain it was.
I was right behind the kick too.
Apologies.

Topped off by Smiths penalty saves being retaken when he " moved" 

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 23, 2024, 07:33:12 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »
Palace away December 08. Got done in the last minute.. freezing

TinyPortal © 2005-2012