Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:53:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Incoming goalkeeper  (Read 6719 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Incoming goalkeeper
« Reply #60 on February 01, 2024, 08:32:02 pm by Filo »
Oh so your point is the club they’ve come from rather than the level of player.
That’s ridiculous
Where did we get coppinger from? mcindoe from? Blundell from?
Shitloads of players have come from non league and made a name for themselves even made the England team, ridiculous to suggest that because they’ve come from a national league side then they’re garbage
But not a surprise from u
My point is every one of them were untested, or signed from non league, and yet your surprised that's where we're heading ?

One or 2 players from non league cab be gems, but to build a TEAM of them is suicide.

It wasn’t that long ago most fans were crying out that these were the type of players we should be looking to sign, fickle or what?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 01, 2024, 08:37:13 pm by Draytonian III »
Also
Wood, Ironside, Anderson, Rowe, biggins, close, westbrooke, molyneux, miller,

You missed those off you list
Clown
Also
Wood, Ironside, Anderson, Rowe, biggins, close, westbrooke, molyneux, miller,

You missed those off you list
Clown

Caolan Laverty - 260
Billy Waters - 190
John Taylor - 420
Hakeeb Adelakin - 290

Above are the appearances these players have made whilst signed for Football League Clubs, including cup matches.
Also
Jamie Sterry - 120
James Maxwell - 120 these include games in the Scottish Championship.

Players also get injured

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 01, 2024, 09:01:58 pm by TonySoprano »
That’s ridiculous
Shitloads of players have come from non league and made a name for themselves even made the England team, ridiculous to suggest that because they’ve come from a national league side then they’re garbage
My point is every one of them were untested, or signed from non league, and yet your surprised that's where we're heading ?

One or 2 players from non league cab be gems, but to build a TEAM of them is suicide.

It wasn’t that long ago most fans were crying out that these were the type of players we should be looking to sign, fickle or what?
Very true, but 1 or 2 exceptional prospects but not to build a team around them.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 01, 2024, 09:06:24 pm by The Red Baron »
With it being a loan then one of the outfield players won’t be in the match day squad. Maybe Cartys injury wont be a quick recovery.

I doubt if we will see Carty or Close again this season.  Knee injuries are always problematic. See also Lavery and George Miller. Molyneux will probably be back soon.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on February 01, 2024, 09:21:52 pm by dickos1 »
That’s ridiculous

Very true, but 1 or 2 exceptional prospects but not to build a team around them.

If you’re not on the wind up then you need to do something else with your time. You’re embarrassing yourself on here.
My 2 year old lad understands football better than idiots like you

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 01, 2024, 09:33:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Give the guy a chance.  I'm sure he'll be the number one now, Jones again needs some time out.

We will see how he does.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 01, 2024, 09:41:31 pm by Pancho Regan »
He was ok at Stevenage last year if playing in a solid side. So much for not signing a keeper.

The Oracle has spoken, and as usual with such positivity.

From me, welcome Thimothee and well done to the Club for backing GM again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:52:30 pm by Pancho Regan »

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 01, 2024, 10:12:10 pm by TonySoprano »
That’s ridiculous

If you’re not on the wind up then you need to do something else with your time. You’re embarrassing yourself on here.
Dickos, you are either thick or just that backed into a corner and committed to your position that you can't admit your wrong.
It happens very often with you, with many other posters on here.

There's zero point in anyone engaging with you.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 01, 2024, 10:35:39 pm by Pancho Regan »
That’s ridiculous

Dickos, you are either thick or just that backed into a corner and committed to your position that you can't admit your wrong.

If anybody is thick it’s you.
Every contribution you make is negative - if you’re so pissed off with the club why do you bother?

Saying that we are building a team around non- League players is just utter rubbish.
You have no credibility when you make statements like that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 01, 2024, 10:52:22 pm by GazLaz »
He was ok at Stevenage last year if playing in a solid side. So much for not signing a keeper.

It’s a fact. His performances (small sample) for Stevenage fell into a range slightly above average for L2 keepers last season. Stevenage regular keeper fell into the top 15% of keepers used so make of that what you will.

His save % was good and didn’t make any direct errors that led to goals. Numbers that reflect being commanding at crosses not great.

Passing data can be put in the bin as he played for a Steve Evans side.

I’m no oracle, I just have access to information that’s been modelled in a way even good premier league clubs would struggle to beat. It’s somewhere in the region of what Brighton and Brentford would use.

If you are not interested in any of this there is a block function on this site. Perhaps your mate Colin could both use it. Hope he is saving up his pension for his charitable donation at the end of the season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on February 01, 2024, 11:26:36 pm by dickos1 »
That’s ridiculous

Stop embarrassing yourself petal and get to bed.
Nothing you’ve said tonight makes any sense.
You’re a shambles

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 02, 2024, 01:47:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
He’s been here for a few days training according to GM competition for the place

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 02, 2024, 03:04:26 pm by TonySoprano »
That’s ridiculous

Stop embarrassing yourself petal and get to bed.
Nothing you’ve said tonight makes any sense.
You’re a shambles
Ah, if you can't make sense of it, then It must be the former.
I'll remember that going forward, and treat you accordingly.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on February 02, 2024, 05:18:10 pm by Colin C No.3 »

It’s a fact. His performances (small sample) for Stevenage fell into a range slightly above average for L2 keepers last season. Stevenage regular keeper fell into the top 15% of keepers used so make of that what you will.

His save % was good and didn’t make any direct errors that led to goals. Numbers that reflect being commanding at crosses not great.

I’m no oracle, I just have access to information that’s been modelled in a way even good premier league clubs would struggle to beat. It’s somewhere in the region of what Brighton and Brentford would use.

If you are not interested in any of this there is a block function on this site. Perhaps your mate Colin could both use it. Hope he is saving up his pension for his charitable donation at the end of the season.

I don’t block posters like you I engage & challenge them because they need ‘outing’ for what they are.

In your case it’s a saddo who actually believes he has all the formulae’s at hand necessary to decide a good player from a bad one. “..I just have access to information that’s been modelled in a way even good premier league clubs would struggle to beat.”

Oh how I laughed at that one!

It’s a typically priceless piece of pretentious, egotistical arrogance even by your own high standards in ‘the art’ of self prominence.

Your constant pomposity & negative postings only serves to fuel my endeavours to ensure I confront such….how best to describe it (?), shite.

As for the bet or ‘charitable donation’ as you call it I had with you in that I would give £10 to the Rover’s Academy for every goal less than ten that Joe Ironside failed to score by the end of the season plus a further £10 for every place below 10th that Rovers finished the season by, don’t you worry yourself about my finances.

I’m in no doubt that purely on the basis of that bet you would be delighted for Joe to ‘stick’ on seven goals from open play & Rovers to finish in the position they currently sit in (or perhaps you secretly hold a desire to see them finish bottom in order to laud your own predictions?) but you see that’s where you & I differ.

Being a pensioner as you quite rightly observed, though be it in as derogatory manner you ‘dared’, means that I have watched more Rovers games than I care to remember. I have ‘lived & loathed’ through the Richardson era & ‘delighted & jublilated’ through John Ryan’s era. Before SO’D & Penney I looked in awe as ‘big’ Lawrie McMenemy took his place in the dug out.

As a ‘child’ I cried when Alick Jeffrey played his last season in a Rovers shirt.

I ‘was there’ when Rovers reached the depths of their existence & I ‘was there’ when they reached the dizzy heights of that existence too.

So I am one of the many who have done ‘the hard yards’.

And here you are. Not old enough to even contemplate reaching pensionable age? Yet ‘wise enough’ to preach to those who dare to question you & your ‘methodically data driven superiority’.

I’m not saying ‘don’t dare criticise the club, the players, the manager or the board’ otherwise you’re not ‘a true’ Rovers supporter. It’s very much to do with the way you articulate that ‘criticism’. You fail miserably.

There are four words that as I drive the two hours to watch my team seem to have ever more resonance & meaning for me. Rovers ‘til I die.

There are three words that you would never contemplate using as you tap away on your keyboard. In my opinion.

That’s me done….until the next time.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 02, 2024, 10:32:05 pm by GazLaz »

I don’t block posters like you I engage & challenge them because they need ‘outing’ for what they are.

In your case it’s a saddo who actually believes he has all the formulae’s at hand necessary to decide a good player from a bad one. “..I just have access to information that’s been modelled in a way even good premier league clubs would struggle to beat.”

Oh how I laughed at that one!

It’s a typically priceless piece of pretentious, egotistical arrogance even by your own high standards in ‘the art’ of self prominence.

Your constant pomposity & negative postings only serves to fuel my endeavours to ensure I confront such….how best to describe it (?), shite.

As for the bet or ‘charitable donation’ as you call it I had with you in that I would give £10 to the Rover’s Academy for every goal less than ten that Joe Ironside failed to score by the end of the season plus a further £10 for every place below 10th that Rovers finished the season by, don’t you worry yourself about my finances.

I’m in no doubt that purely on the basis of that bet you would be delighted for Joe to ‘stick’ on seven goals from open play & Rovers to finish in the position they currently sit in (or perhaps you secretly hold a desire to see them finish bottom in order to laud your own predictions?) but you see that’s where you & I differ.

Being a pensioner as you quite rightly observed, though be it in as derogatory manner you ‘dared’, means that I have watched more Rovers games than I care to remember. I have ‘lived & loathed’ through the Richardson era & ‘delighted & jublilated’ through John Ryan’s era. Before SO’D & Penney I looked in awe as ‘big’ Lawrie McMenemy took his place in the dug out.

As a ‘child’ I cried when Alick Jeffrey played his last season in a Rovers shirt.

I ‘was there’ when Rovers reached the depths of their existence & I ‘was there’ when they reached the dizzy heights of that existence too.

So I am one of the many who have done ‘the hard yards’.

And here you are. Not old enough to even contemplate reaching pensionable age? Yet ‘wise enough’ to preach to those who dare to question you & your ‘methodically data driven superiority’.

I’m not saying ‘don’t dare criticise the club, the players, the manager or the board’ otherwise you’re not ‘a true’ Rovers supporter. It’s very much to do with the way you articulate that ‘criticism’. You fail miserably.

There are four words that as I drive the two hours to watch my team seem to have ever more resonance & meaning for me. Rovers ‘til I die.

There are three words that you would never contemplate using as you tap away on your keyboard. In my opinion.

That’s me done….until the next time.

I am nearer to retiring than I am to when I started work!

“In your case it’s a saddo who actually believes he has all the formulae’s at hand necessary to decide a good player from a bad one. “..I just have access to information that’s been modelled in a way even good premier league clubs would struggle to beat.””

On that point, I do. Whether you chose to believe that or even understand that it doesn’t really matter to me. How do you think Brentford, Brighton, Liverpool etc have the transfer market by the b*llocks? They use analytics companies to rate players. I work for one.

“Hard yards”?? I’ve seen us struggle away at Stalybridge, Hereford, Telford, Leigh RMI, Hayes and all the rest of them when we were floundering around in the Conf. My posts of late have aired on the side of negativity due to the fact we’ve been in free fall, performances haven’t been good enough and we’ve signed some horror show players. I’ve given loads of potential alternatives in our price bracket that have gone on to prove to be exceptional players. Thats constructive criticism.

You may not like the way I put across my opinions, that’s fair enough, but I have plenty of confidence in what I say because I have a pretty good gauge on the strength of my accusations.

Football moves forward pretty rapidly, good practices filter down from the top and clubs, even at our level, can get left behind. That could be what’s happening to us. We made a positive stride forward when we had the intention to change the structure. I was hugely positive about that decision at the time.

Can Terry change enough to get us back on the rails? It’s not looking that way at the minute, hence the current negative vibe.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 03, 2024, 11:25:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Team full of untested kids and national league players.

Thanks brammall, for nothing

Untested kids and national league players!
Just summed up how clueless you are with one sentence.
Absolute fruitcake

Jamie sterry - national league
Tom nixon - loan - only tested in national league
Jay mcgrath - untested
George broadband- only tested in national league
Owen Bailey- national league
Conor carty- untested kid on loan
Matthew Craig- untested kid on loan
Lo tutla - kid on loan
Lavery - national league
Deji Sotona- untested kid
Jack senior - national league
Charlie Seaman - only tested in national league
Joe olowu - only tested in national league

That Jamie Vardy eh? Who'd have thought it?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on February 03, 2024, 01:36:48 pm by Draytonian III »
Ian Wright before him, half a dozen Peterborough strikers, Alfie May , the list is endless but there’s no point listing them as the fella with numerous names and aliases is always right

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on February 03, 2024, 03:15:59 pm by drfchound »
AS good as he was then and is now, Rovers would not have taken Vardy because of his previous criminal history which resulted in him wearing a tag for a while.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on February 03, 2024, 03:25:40 pm by ChrisBx »
AS good as he was then and is now, Rovers would not have taken Vardy because of his previous criminal history which resulted in him wearing a tag for a while.

Based on what?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 03, 2024, 03:27:12 pm by drfchound »

Based on what?

Do you mean, why wouldn't we take him?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 03, 2024, 05:07:50 pm by vaya »
I'll drag this back to the OP.

How did the new keeper get on?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on February 03, 2024, 05:10:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
He was good. Didn’t get near goal but otherwise calm and in control. Him and Wood gave some order to defence. He’s a big unit.

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on February 03, 2024, 05:17:51 pm by Dabbermoo »
Head and shoulders above Jones, came off his line, caught crosses, great distribution, didn't have a chance with their goal to be fair but a good debut.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 03, 2024, 05:18:34 pm by Dare to dream! »
Solid - good signing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on February 03, 2024, 05:19:28 pm by Filo »
Showed a bit of passion getting the draw in the last minute, got a long kick and a long throw on him, looks more commanding than both Jones and Lawlor

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 03, 2024, 05:26:56 pm by Donnywolf »
He looked good doing the easy stuff well

He is a big unit for sure and was impressed after 5 mins or so when he came through several players to dive and punch ball away

Distribution looked good but let's face it we have faced Sutton who imo are awful and I'm not sorry to say I hope they go down with Bradford (lol) so we need to see the new GK in action v a decent Team

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 03, 2024, 05:32:00 pm by Canadian Rover »
Much improved with his starting positions than Jones.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 03, 2024, 05:33:46 pm by GazLaz »
Good long throw on him. Can clear the half way line easily. There wasn’t too much to test him but did everything he needed to.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 03, 2024, 07:03:42 pm by ForsolongaRover »
The shot that beat was not really stoppable. To use an old fashioned term, he really "commanded" the area. Excellent.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 03, 2024, 07:44:10 am by ncRover »
Team full of untested kids and national league players.

Thanks brammall, for nothing

What do you think now?

Also I haven’t seen that “in the box” poster in a while, I hope they’re ok!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012