Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:11:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Big Tom  (Read 2638 times)

Spud

• VSC Member
Big Tom
« on March 29, 2024, 05:41:31 pm by Spud »
Been immense on this ten game run, I think a few need to remember that.
Bad mistake today, & I'm sure nobody needs to tell him that, but some of the comments, he's an idiot, needs counselling etc, wow.
Got there a lot later than he thought he would, I'm sure he was trying to take a yellow to stop that counter attack.
Turns out he's a tactical genius anyway, invited them onto us even more & we should have won 4-0.
Great win, probably Bailey or Woody motm for me, have a great weekend folks.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
Re: Big Tom
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2024, 05:43:35 pm by Butchers Red »
Well said and his sending off today was a result of 100% balls out, do or die commitment - the man is a colossus.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 29, 2024, 05:46:10 pm by graingrover »
The criticism of him says more about the poster don’t you think !

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 29, 2024, 05:50:56 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Full blooded and committed just incredibly late. Him and Woody solid till then. Joe played his part when he came on.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 29, 2024, 06:18:20 pm by Campsall rover »
It was a stupid tackle as he was never going to get the ball first.
But he has been brilliant in the last 2 months.
One bad tackle doesn’t mean he has lost the plot and needs counselling.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 29, 2024, 06:27:41 pm by ncRover »
It was a red card.

He had enough time to realise he was going to be late and pull out but still thought  “f*** it”.

But yes he has been very good in general.

Hopefully Olowu can prove us all wrong next, there’s something in the water!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 06:46:13 pm by ncRover »

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 29, 2024, 06:31:32 pm by karldew »
It was a red card.

He had enough time to realise he was going to be late but still though “f*** it”.

But yes he has been very good in general.

Hopefully Olowu can prove us all wrong next, there’s something in the water!

I can see Bailey being put in at CB and Westbrooke coming in for Tuesday. That’s what I’d go with anyway.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 29, 2024, 06:35:27 pm by RoversInSpain »
Good shout with Bailey. Can’t put Joe in against Wrexham he’ll get mullered.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 29, 2024, 06:40:06 pm by Branton Rover »
In my opinion Bailey is a midfielder who can play at the back in a crisis. We’re not in a crisis he needs to stay in midfield and bring Joseph Olowu in. 

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 29, 2024, 07:07:52 pm by Scooter »
It was a red for me but I wonder if the club will appeal?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 29, 2024, 07:28:16 pm by scawsby steve »
It was a red for me but I wonder if the club will appeal?

Not a chance. That would be deemed a flimsy appeal, and could result in Tom getting a 4 game ban.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 29, 2024, 07:33:51 pm by Rovers91 »
Deserved to be a red card just for the stupidity of the tackle, there was no need to do it with where the lad was on the pitch and the ball had already gone. Seemed like Tom wanted to leave his mark on the player.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 29, 2024, 07:46:37 pm by DonnyNoel »
Don't think he needs the boot sticking in (no pun intended) but a poor challenge and very good refeereing.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 29, 2024, 10:37:24 pm by drfcsteve »
Another day it could have cost us the 3 points, luckily we’re in the form we are and got away with it.

Hickleton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 29, 2024, 10:49:12 pm by Hickleton Rover »
Not a red imo yes he was late but the player didn't need any treatment and carried on with the rest of the game, unlike some tackles on our players in past games resulting in player stretchered off and out for the season and no card issued at all

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 30, 2024, 12:16:37 am by Avsuptem »
Not so long ago the wise pundits on here were criticising the team for being pushovers and lacking in the dark arts. Now we have developed a backbone and started employing a bit of shithousery / game management / physical strength Big Tom is getting accused of a moment of madness. Ffs at worst it was a professional foul that was over penalised. If I were Grant McCann  I would be applauding him for embodying the concept of total commitment to the cause. OK, we do not want DRFC to be a team of Vinny Joneses but what we do want is total blood and guts commitment. It could get us to the play offs.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 30, 2024, 12:30:21 am by Butchers Red »
Good shout with Bailey. Can’t put Joe in against Wrexham he’ll get mullered.

That will be a first then :scarf:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 30, 2024, 07:34:02 am by NickDRFC »
Not so long ago the wise pundits on here were criticising the team for being pushovers and lacking in the dark arts. Now we have developed a backbone and started employing a bit of shithousery / game management / physical strength Big Tom is getting accused of a moment of madness. Ffs at worst it was a professional foul that was over penalised. If I were Grant McCann  I would be applauding him for embodying the concept of total commitment to the cause. OK, we do not want DRFC to be a team of Vinny Joneses but what we do want is total blood and guts commitment. It could get us to the play offs.

Tom’s not an idiot but it was an idiotic tackle, I think you’d struggle to defend that. He was miles away from the ball, he was never going to be able to just clip the man and stop the break. Doesn’t define his season - he’s still been very good recently - but equally it’s not unreasonable to be critical of him and his actions yesterday, which could have been very costly.

Did someone really say he needs counselling? I must have missed that but that’s equally idiotic!

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 30, 2024, 07:43:54 am by adamtherover »
Timmy going down with made up cramp to allow the team to have a quick team talk with grant was class.  Evened out their player suggesting the injured player was much worse than he actually was.  Maybe the reaction got the red card, not the actual foul?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 30, 2024, 08:06:39 am by ForsolongaRover »
It was Crawley that lost their composure in failing to take advantage of the situation. Obviously they mismanaged their efforts woefully, but keeping them out relatively easily and the tactics of keeping attackers up the field will only add to Rovers’ confidence in the games ahead.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 30, 2024, 09:10:57 am by ravenrover »
Anybody watching Blackburn v Ioswich last night, almost identical tackle didn't even get a yellow

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 30, 2024, 09:39:00 am by DearneValleyRover »
Just a thought but if Rovers do appeal the red card would Tom be available for Tuesday night?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 30, 2024, 09:43:00 am by donnievic »
Not a red imo yes he was late but the player didn't need any treatment and carried on with the rest of the game, unlike some tackles on our players in past games resulting in player stretchered off and out for the season and no card issued at all
suppose that’s that ok then it shouldn’t be a red because the player wasn’t hurt!!!!!!my first viewing when seeing it live was a red having been late and the way he lunged in but seeing the replay I don’t think it was as bad as I first thought,think they should appeal it tbf not saying it will get overturned but don’t think it will get extra ban,if been other way round how many would be wanting a red

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 30, 2024, 09:54:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I doubt very much they will appeal. I didn't think it was a red and we've seen alot worse escape with just a yellow.

Tom's been great during this great run, part of the threesome with Wood and TLT who give us that solid platform to give us  better chances to win games.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 30, 2024, 10:50:05 am by Canadian Rover »
Full blooded and committed just incredibly late. Him and Woody solid till then. Joe played his part when he came on.

Agreed; Would rather see a red card for a full blooded challenge rather than the diving around nonsense from Tomlin against Bradford!! Also Joe may be a good option vs Wrexham with Mullin

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 30, 2024, 11:04:03 am by StocktonRover »
Looking from the terrace behind the goal yesterday my first reaction was without doubt a straight Red.
Having since watched it on the highlights with the camera angle from the side stand, I would have thought it was a yellow.
That would be the only angle available if it was appealed.
May be worth a try?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 01, 2024, 01:46:03 pm by ravenrover »
In his interview GMc says they appealed the red but it was still upheld and still just the 3 games

TinyPortal © 2005-2012