Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:00:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lert's talk about the Wrexham game  (Read 7050 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lert's talk about the Wrexham game
« on March 29, 2024, 07:31:34 pm by selby »
  Well to me we saw the worst and best of Doncaster Rovers v Crawley, missing two goals a youngster would have put away in the Doncaster Senior League, scoring a worldie from an impossible position, battling brilliantly with ten men after a very poor decision and tackle by Anderson and coming away with the three points at an in form side themselves looking to get in the playoffs.
  Now it is on to the show game of league 2 this weekend on Tuesday when we the supporters will be looking with interest at all the games on Monday hoping results fall favourably for us.
   Who would have predicted our run of form the first week in January? when some on here were sacking most of our board, management, and players. So credit to everyone, especially Mr Bramall who laid it on the line what he expected of people.
   It has led to this game v Wrexham being the ultimate test of our resolve and ambition against the club that has thrown money at the team, have all the media coverage swarming constantly around their owners and team, and are quite happy to have lost upwards of £5 million just to get into  this division  and out of the National league last season.
  Can we match them and dent their bubble? we really need to to still have ambition in this league this season, us being in a position where every point lost is a disaster after our poor first half of the season, and we can't afford any different approach but to go out to win games.
  Against Crawley we did two things that could really hurt us in this game, we started on the back foot and let them carry the game to us in the opening period, and we missed easy chances both of which went unpunished, we might not be as lucky against a much stronger side used to winning and name players at this level throughout the team.
  They are not however the greatest team in away matches, but after a 2-0 win v Mansfield today will be full of confidence and fancy their chances here, our old friend Mullin bagging both goals after Mansfield dominated 69% possession so will be looking to hit us on the break, and with Lee another good striker have the personnel to do it.
   Our problems revolve around Anderson's sending off and a change at the back, no doubt Olowu who we cannot afford to have one of his erratic games, injuries apart I would expect the same players starting  and little changes to the squad if there are no injuries.
  So can we win against a top three side? can we carry on our good run of results? we ran them close at their place, can we go that little bit further? Would you make any unforced changes to our team? Are you going to the game? lots to discuss, lots of little points that could make a difference, is the impossible at the start of the year possible now? please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
Re: Lert's talk about the Wrexham game
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2024, 08:10:32 pm by Ian Nimmo »
There are 3 critical factors for me.
We will have to trust that Joe O will come up with the goods and play to a standard which we know he is capable of.
We surely have to keep tight to Mullen.
We need good support and create a good atmosphere right from the off, from all three stands.

If we can win on Tuesday, the impossible may just be on the cards, I don’t think we have anything to fear from the remaining games, given we seem to be improving game by game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2024, 08:42:08 am by Filo »
Get 3 points on Tuesday and we might just be on with a play off run

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 30, 2024, 08:43:43 am by adamtherover »
4 of next 5 games at home I believe..   can we?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2024, 08:50:08 am by Filo »
Like an idiot thinking we had nothing to play for I booked a holiday in April so will miss the Walsall game

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2024, 09:08:19 am by Colin C No.3 »
I would have settled for a point yesterday before kick off, to come away with all three was unbelievable but warranted.

I predicted we would beat Wrexham & despite losing Tom I still believe we will. This team won’t roll over anymore if we go a goal down & we are creating chances in every game now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 30, 2024, 10:22:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
This will be THE biggest test so far. Having watched highlights of Wrexhams win yesterday, it just confirms they're using all the dark arts and seem to get favourable treatment from the refs.

Any team with McLean in it's line up is going to try every trick in the book. Off the ball tackles, late tackles, feigning serious injury trying to get players booked, the lot.
With some 'old heads' in the team, you know they're going to knock us off our game but they can also play a bit themselves. 

Their defence can be got at, plus their keeper also has his moments too. Like any game, it's about taking chances when they come, keeping our discipline and concentration.

I'm expecting a torrid frustrating encounter with the ref being put under great pressure. It should get the crowd fully involved with the game and be a great atmosphere.

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 30, 2024, 10:41:49 am by Dabbermoo »
I'd drop Bailey back into defence alongside RW, bring in Max and drop LM into the midfield,  as much as possible play a 4 4 2, our home form has been great, a slight tweak to the starting 11 shouldn't cause too much of a disruption fingers crossed, as said in other comments, let's create a fantastic atmosphere from all 3 home sides, get the drummer (s) beating that drum constantly, get the songs out loud and proud, get behind the lads from the warm up to the final whistle and let's be the massive 12th man we need to be to disrupt Wrexham as much as possible, let's create an intimidating atmosphere and do our bit while the players do there's.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 30, 2024, 11:47:45 am by graingrover »
The infamous long throw-in that characterizes them might be a reason to play Jay ahead of Joe .

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2024, 09:59:41 am by philsky »
Cant wait for this one.

Tring to Hichingbrooke to collect Dr Ross after his stint at the hospital, then hot foot to the Eco-Power.

Going to a late night.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:29:17 pm by philsky »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2024, 10:10:27 am by Campsall rover »
The infamous long throw-in that characterizes them might be a reason to play Jay ahead of Joe .
Said something similar on another thread.
Olowu might be better against Mullin if Joe keeps his head and has a game he is capable of.
At his best he is a very good player. At his worst he is a liability.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2024, 10:13:39 am by idler »
I just hope that the crowd really back the team and stay with them if things start to go wrong. We are playing a good team with a wage bill possibly double of ours. Fingers crossed and back our team for the whole game irrespective of the result. We are on a great run that will end sometime but it isn’t the end of the world when it does. 100% effort from players and fans and we can beat Wrexham. They are a good side but like all good sides they do lose games, even ones that they expect to win. We owe them from last time as well. :scarf:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2024, 10:28:11 am by ncRover »
Is it just me who thought McGrath looked a bit erratic when he played? I know he’s only young though and has good aggression about him. He can ping a pass too.

Olowu has done fine off the bench when called upon recently, it’s less of a risk to play him IMO.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 10:31:05 am by ncRover »

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2024, 10:48:28 am by Avsuptem »
We have been rank outsiders to win with the bookmakers in practically every game this season including this one. The pundits see it as a top of the table versus 15th clash and the majority of their fans probably expect an easy victory. We know better. I am just loving this at the moment.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2024, 11:21:09 am by Bessie Red »
Keep an unchanged team for me with the exception of Olowu in for Tom. Jo is the next senior player available in that position & I feel with Wood alongside him he will have a good game as he will ensure Jo concentrates for the full game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2024, 11:38:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
McCann's got to play Olowu which could be a good thing with his pace. He's been good in his sub appearances so we have to trust him to step up and do a job.

If we start tinkering with the set up by bringing Bailey deeper, then we lose something further up the pitch and McCann won't compromise on going out to win the game. It's too late in the season to compromise and I'm sure we all want the team to go for it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2024, 12:12:56 pm by Campsall rover »
We have been rank outsiders to win with the bookmakers in practically every game this season including this one. The pundits see it as a top of the table versus 15th clash and the majority of their fans probably expect an easy victory. We know better. I am just loving this at the moment.
Parkinson won’t be looking at this as an easy 3 points I promise you.

He will be spending Easter Sunday glued to watching DRFC match videos from the last 10 games.
Don’t think he will bother with the Sutton game though.   ;)

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 31, 2024, 12:27:54 pm by ncRover »
I know Ironside has been a bit off it recently but I quite like the tactic of letting him slog away for 60 mins then bring a fresh Biamou on when the game is stretched and more open.

If Wrexham are pushing for late goals like they often are we may be able to catch them on the break late on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2024, 02:30:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
They’ve managed one clean sheet in their last 10 away games in the league.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 31, 2024, 03:07:50 pm by Campsall rover »
No reason whatsoever why we can’t win this game.

We are top of the league over the last 10/11 games.
They should be more worried about us than we of them.
They have the pressure.
MK Dons are knocking on the door of top 3
We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Bring it on. Come on all Rovers fans get off your backsides and get down to the ECO
Let’s make it an atmosphere and night to remember.  :bbscarf:

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 31, 2024, 04:07:00 pm by Barmby Rover »
This is the toughest test Rovers have faced since our upturn in form, I would love to see us with 3 points, but I suspect it may be a  cancel each other out draw.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 31, 2024, 04:21:32 pm by Alan Southstand »
Not sure about that, Barnby, Crawley we’re on a hot run of form & we played them in their back yard!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 31, 2024, 05:25:29 pm by danumdon »
We absolutely don't need to change anything for this game bar the Olowu/Anderson switch.

The team know exactly what they need to do as they have been doing for the last few months. Have no doubt they will not be comfortable coming here just now, we just need to keep our nerve and go through our own setup.

It may well be a tight match but when both sides have everything to play for you can sometimes get fireworks, everything's setup for a good night.

We need to start fast and keep the tempo high, the team look very fit at this time and it will serve us well as the match progresses. Nothing to fear and everything to gain. Putting one over that arse Parkinson will please everyone.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 01, 2024, 10:13:36 am by selby »
  It all comes down to us just needing another win, play well and we have every chance , but we will not get away with not taking our chances when they come along like we did at Crawley.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 01, 2024, 11:58:23 am by Chris Black come back »
Is Waters out of favour, or injured? He hasn't made the bench for our last two games.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 01, 2024, 12:21:43 pm by Filo »
Is Waters out of favour, or injured? He hasn't made the bench for our last two games.

Won’t tomorrow night either against his parent club, but for me he’s not been good enough

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 02, 2024, 08:34:23 am by andy didcott »
COYR.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 02, 2024, 09:53:44 am by selby »
  There is no half way house now, we have to go all out for a win, if we do and fail trying then that is no disgrace at all, we need to be at the top of our game, and if we are we are a match for any team at this level, just go for it, we have nothing to lose now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 02, 2024, 10:03:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
  There is no half way house now, we have to go all out for a win, if we do and fail trying then that is no disgrace at all, we need to be at the top of our game, and if we are we are a match for any team at this level, just go for it, we have nothing to lose now.

We'll see how clever both managers are in dealing with that tactically. Wrexham could play on that and draw us in. Play Mullin deeper to suck Olowu out of the middle, allow us to over commit up top and hit us on the break. If that fails, then they'll get dirty and use every trick in the book to slow us down.

It'll be a fascinating contest even without being emotionally involved with every kick.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 02, 2024, 10:11:00 am by Michael Shaw »
Win this one and everyone should believe the playoffs are still achievable. And if Rovers can reach the playoffs after a string of wins, we will be the team to fear. Just got to keep believing. Feeling tense for tonight already.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012