Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:50:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistically  (Read 4367 times)

Bills view

• Forum Member
Re: Realistically
« Reply #30 on March 31, 2024, 01:27:38 pm by Bills view »
If we could offer £4kish a week but someone offers £5k+ week, what would he do? An extra £50k+ a year.

Footballers have a short playing career. You couldn't begrudge him for choosing elsewhere.

I have lost good colleagues in my line of work who I know enjoyed the job.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 31, 2024, 03:04:27 pm by GazLaz »
If we could offer £4kish a week but someone offers £5k+ week, what would he do? An extra £50k+ a year.

Footballers have a short playing career. You couldn't begrudge him for choosing elsewhere.

If we offer him 4k a week we need sectioning! You are right in what you say though. Footballers are generally mercenaries but agents always are. I think he will end up at Wimbledon or Crawley. A southern club at the top end of L2.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 31, 2024, 03:22:37 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Is there any truth he's on 5k a week currently at Lincoln? Seems unlikely

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 31, 2024, 03:48:13 pm by Bessie Red »

If we offer him 4k a week we need sectioning! You are right in what you say though. Footballers are generally mercenaries but agents always are. I think he will end up at Wimbledon or Crawley. A southern club at the top end of L2.
Wimbledon maybe but Crawley, really?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 31, 2024, 03:51:08 pm by drfchound »

I’m not sure how anyone on here could know the answer to that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 31, 2024, 04:03:09 pm by Campsall rover »

I’m not sure how anyone on here could know the answer to that.
Love to know who the mole is that gives out all this salary info.
Someone is well informed hound. It’s made up nonsense I am pretty sure.   :that:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 31, 2024, 04:11:58 pm by Campsall rover »

Would be very shocked if he went to either of these two clubs even if they got promotion.

I don’t think anyone will get offered more than 3.000 a week at Rovers in League 2  (altered from league 1 ) mistake.

Any clubs paying more money than that are seriously treading on ice. Gambling with the clubs long term future unless the owners are prepared to blow millions that they will never recoup. Unless they get to the Premier league.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:16:44 pm by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 31, 2024, 05:01:12 pm by GazLaz »

They have a few quid and they will challenge next season.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 31, 2024, 05:04:40 pm by Bessie Red »

They have a few quid and they will challenge next season.
So do we & we will too!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 31, 2024, 05:49:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
They’ve just got over million quid for Al-Hamadi.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 31, 2024, 06:04:25 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Wimbledon or Crawley….why?!

If a Lg1 side don’t come ‘sniffing round’ I think the GM factor will have him staying at Rovers.

My opinion.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 31, 2024, 06:08:05 pm by GazLaz »

Not impossible he ends up at a small L1 club like Orient maybe.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 31, 2024, 06:12:08 pm by Jonathan »
Do we know that Wimbledon, Crawley and Leyton Orient have poor enough recruitment departments to lead them to make such a whimsical error in the transfer market? Surely we lead the way on that. Especially on the back of our awful January recruitment…

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 31, 2024, 06:24:51 pm by GazLaz »
Do we know that Wimbledon, Crawley and Leyton Orient have poor enough recruitment departments to lead them to make such a whimsical error in the transfer market? Surely we lead the way on that. Especially on the back of our awful January recruitment…

Re: January. We signed one player permanently who is rubbish in McGrath. In terms of strengthening the club long term, it wasn’t great was it? Three of the 5 loans have been great admittedly.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 31, 2024, 06:32:07 pm by Jonathan »

Re: January. We signed one player permanently who is rubbish in McGrath. In terms of strengthening the club long term, it wasn’t great was it? Three of the 5 loans have been great admittedly.

Is January the right month to get best value in long term transfer decisions?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 31, 2024, 06:49:51 pm by GazLaz »

Certainly an interesting debate. Really depends how wide your net is and how confident you are in the ability of the players on the list. I think in our situation we could have given ourselves less to do in the summer. If we sign HA, MC and TLT in the summer I’ll admit it was a great window and more was happening in the background than I was privy to. If we sign none of them, the impetus they have given us will be important going into next season but it feels a little bit like we will be knocked back a few steps in the squad building exercise.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 31, 2024, 06:57:56 pm by Jonathan »

Certainly an interesting debate. Really depends how wide your net is and how confident you are in the ability of the players on the list. I think in our situation we could have given ourselves less to do in the summer. If we sign HA, MC and TLT in the summer I’ll admit it was a great window and more was happening in the background than I was privy to. If we sign none of them, the impetus they have given us will be important going into next season but it feels a little bit like we will be knocked back a few steps in the squad building exercise.

Can’t argue with that. Although I would say that given the position we were slipping to there needed to be short / immediate term as well as long term action in January. But I take your point on long term squad building and the difficulty if we can’t secure at least some of the above long term. I hold out genuine hope with Haks, some possibly delusional hope with TLT and almost no hope with Craig.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on March 31, 2024, 07:20:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In terms of the quality brought in in January you could view it as McCann making a statement to show what a bit more quality in key areas can do. It excites everyone and should put bums on seats.

We know however, even before the Meet the Owners, we were carrying too many players and the squad needs to be trimmed for next season. Quality over quantity is the direction whilst maintaining a squad fit for purpose.

Realistically, very unlikely TLT or Craig will be available to us. HA and MB are likely to be contested for.

I don't know what you all think but my guess is if Molyneux was going to sign, he would have done it by now. Looking increasingly likely Lavery, Taylor, Biggins and Rowe will go. Those should free up funds to play with plus encourage TB to sanction the pursuit of the quality currently on show. That's my take  on things anyway.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 31, 2024, 07:41:24 pm by Campsall rover »
We got over 1 million for Marquis and considerably more for Whiteman didn’t we but I don’t remember us flashing the cash.
The lions share of the transfer fees received by most clubs in League 1 and 2 go to balancing the books.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 31, 2024, 07:58:16 pm by scawsby steve »
We got over 1 million for Marquis and considerably more for Whiteman didn’t we but I don’t remember us flashing the cash.
The lions share of the transfer fees received by most clubs in League 1 and 2 go to balancing the books.

Good post, Camps, and dead right IMO. Although, you got the transfer money the wrong way round. We got more for Marquis than Whiteman.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 31, 2024, 07:58:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
AFC Wimbledon made an operating profit last season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 31, 2024, 08:07:35 pm by dickos1 »

When we signed McGrath and craig you said
How can anyone seriously think they would come into a side struggling massively and make an impact? Copps and Grant obviously did. The mind boggles.

But craig has made an unbelievable impact on the team, you also mocked McCann for calling him a sensational player.

I like your posts and you often talk sense, but with the clubs recruitment it’s quite evident that you won’t praise any of it, maybe because of their lack of interest when you offered help.
I just think slagging off everyone we sign just dilutes any of the great points you make.
McGrath isn’t rubbish, Sterry isn’t useless, Bailey isn’t average, adelekun isn’t ok, for example

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 31, 2024, 08:22:33 pm by Campsall rover »
AFC Wimbledon made an operating profit last season.
From transfers received or money invested from shares or loans.
Don’t expect they made a profit from income received. Very few clubs manage to do that in League 2 or league 1

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 31, 2024, 08:27:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Operating profit is not a function of either equity or debt.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 31, 2024, 08:32:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Operating profit is not a function of either equity or debt.
I am aware of that thank you.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 31, 2024, 08:38:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Ok, just that you said their operating profit last season was from "money invested from shares and loans". As you mention, these two are not related.

They turned an operating profit of over a million quid last season, on a wage bill of over £4m. They have in the last two months also taken upwards of a million from the Al-Hamadi transfer.

AFC Wimbledon are likely in a better financial position than we are to offer terms, should that be a possibility.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:45:13 pm by Chris Black come back »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 31, 2024, 08:40:43 pm by Campsall rover »

Right GazLaz please tell me why McGrath is rubbish.
That’s an unbelievable statement to make about a 20 yr old who we have only seen play how many times is it, no more than 5 games I would think without checking.
I would like to hear your reasoning on this. Genuine question.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:48:25 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 31, 2024, 08:56:27 pm by Campsall rover »
Ok, just that you said their operating profit last season was from "money invested from shares and loans". As you mention, these two are not related.

They turned an operating profit of over a million quid last season, on a wage bill of over £4m. They have in the last two months also taken upwards of a million from the Al-Hamadi transfer.

AFC Wimbledon are likely in a better financial position than we are to offer terms, should that be a possibility.
Well for a club averaging gates of a little over 7.500  & a wage bill of over 4 million how do they make an operating profit of 1 million.
Where is the money coming from? They must have a fantastic commercial set up that’s bringing in far more than club Doncaster brings in.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 31, 2024, 09:11:14 pm by Chris Black come back »
Moving to their new stadium has materially increased their income, with turnover up around 40pc. They have also monetised their talent on a fairly consistent level in recent years. All of this while keeping their wage bill fairly consistent at around £4m. They are just a better commercial entity than we are, using their budget better. Obviously they are as bad performance wise on the pitch as we have been over the same period.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 31, 2024, 10:04:47 pm by GazLaz »

How can anyone seriously think they would come into a side struggling massively and make an impact? Copps and Grant obviously did. The mind boggles.

But craig has made an unbelievable impact on the team, you also mocked McCann for calling him a sensational player.

I like your posts and you often talk sense, but with the clubs recruitment it’s quite evident that you won’t praise any of it, maybe because of their lack of interest when you offered help.
I just think slagging off everyone we sign just dilutes any of the great points you make.
McGrath isn’t rubbish, Sterry isn’t useless, Bailey isn’t average, adelekun isn’t ok, for example

I wax lyrical about Maxwell and Hurst. I say the keeper is great. Ironside and Bailey have been really good solid signings. We are in the bottom half of L2 Dicko, maybe my standards are a bit higher than yours when it comes to recruitment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012