Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:24:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistically  (Read 4365 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: Realistically
« Reply #60 on March 31, 2024, 11:03:29 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Do we know that Wimbledon, Crawley and Leyton Orient have poor enough recruitment departments to lead them to make such a whimsical error in the transfer market? Surely we lead the way on that. Especially on the back of our awful January recruitment…

Re: January. We signed one player permanently who is rubbish in McGrath. In terms of strengthening the club long term, it wasn’t great was it? Three of the 5 loans have been great admittedly.

When we signed McGrath and craig you said
How can anyone seriously think they would come into a side struggling massively and make an impact? Copps and Grant obviously did. The mind boggles.

But craig has made an unbelievable impact on the team, you also mocked McCann for calling him a sensational player.

I like your posts and you often talk sense, but with the clubs recruitment it’s quite evident that you won’t praise any of it, maybe because of their lack of interest when you offered help.
I just think slagging off everyone we sign just dilutes any of the great points you make.
McGrath isn’t rubbish, Sterry isn’t useless, Bailey isn’t average, adelekun isn’t ok, for example
Do we know that Wimbledon, Crawley and Leyton Orient have poor enough recruitment departments to lead them to make such a whimsical error in the transfer market? Surely we lead the way on that. Especially on the back of our awful January recruitment…

Re: January. We signed one player permanently who is rubbish in McGrath. In terms of strengthening the club long term, it wasn’t great was it? Three of the 5 loans have been great admittedly.

How can anyone seriously think they would come into a side struggling massively and make an impact? Copps and Grant obviously did. The mind boggles.

But craig has made an unbelievable impact on the team, you also mocked McCann for calling him a sensational player.

I like your posts and you often talk sense, but with the clubs recruitment it’s quite evident that you won’t praise any of it, maybe because of their lack of interest when you offered help.
I just think slagging off everyone we sign just dilutes any of the great points you make.
McGrath isn’t rubbish, Sterry isn’t useless, Bailey isn’t average, adelekun isn’t ok, for example

I wax lyrical about Maxwell and Hurst. I say the keeper is great. Ironside and Bailey have been really good solid signings. We are in the bottom half of L2 Dicko, maybe my standards are a bit higher than yours when it comes to recruitment.

Your standards aren’t higher (your ego….no question there) they’re just your opinions, nothing more.

Bailey & Ironside have been the most consistent players at the club this season & no doubt one of them will be receiving the ‘Player of the season Award’ at the end of season awards.

I think Kyle Hurst is a really good footballer but I wouldn't ‘wax lyrical’ over him because he hasn’t played enough games this season to warrant that. Molyneaux certainly has & I could put forward a case in recent games to ‘wax lyrical’ over his contribution to the side’s performance’s & results but of course you could find better on his wages (which you omitted to tell us what they were by the way) ‘out there quite easily’.

McGrath isn’t rubbish just as Adelukan, Biamou & Lo-Titula aren’t great. They’re very good (certainly Haks & LTT I would offer contracts to tomorrow) but they’re not what I would call ‘great’.

The club must have hurt you very deeply when they consigned your suggestions on who they should sign to the waste paper bin however long ago it must have been.

Get over yourself.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 31, 2024, 11:39:26 pm by GazLaz »

I wax lyrical about Maxwell and Hurst. I say the keeper is great. Ironside and Bailey have been really good solid signings. We are in the bottom half of L2 Dicko, maybe my standards are a bit higher than yours when it comes to recruitment.

Your standards aren’t higher (your ego….no question there) they’re just your opinions, nothing more.

Bailey & Ironside have been the most consistent players at the club this season & no doubt one of them will be receiving the ‘Player of the season Award’ at the end of season awards.

I think Kyle Hurst is a really good footballer but I wouldn't ‘wax lyrical’ over him because he hasn’t played enough games this season to warrant that. Molyneaux certainly has & I could put forward a case in recent games to ‘wax lyrical’ over his contribution to the side’s performance’s & results but of course you could find better on his wages (which you omitted to tell us what they were by the way) ‘out there quite easily’.

McGrath isn’t rubbish just as Adelukan, Biamou & Lo-Titula aren’t great. They’re very good (certainly Haks & LTT I would offer contracts to tomorrow) but they’re not what I would call ‘great’.

The club must have hurt you very deeply when they consigned your suggestions on who they should sign to the waste paper bin however long ago it must have been.

Get over yourself.

You are getting extremely boring with the same old drivel you keep spouting towards me. Keyboard warrior with too much time on his hands. You honestly haven’t got a clue about me, what I know, what I don’t know or my relationships with people at the club. I’ve been posting on this forum (and predecessors) for as long as I can remember, disagreed with loads of people and I have honestly never encountered such a ghastly figure as yourself.

Oh and these “opinions”. I’ve spent the last number of years working for an organisation that turns over 100m a year betting on football using analytics and machine learning systems put together by some of the best data analysts churned out by Cambridge University. We provide recruitment data to top level football clubs around the world and integrate automated pricing models into bookmakers systems. I’ve worked along side people that have managed in the EFL, worked for the FA and headed football operations at the biggest bookmakers in the country. If you think I base what I say on fresh air then fair enough. I’ll give you a little hint though, there’s slightly more to these “opinions” than that.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:58:48 pm by GazLaz »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 01, 2024, 08:23:52 am by dickos1 »

We are mate, but a simplistic view is that’s all because of our dreadful start to the season.
Disregard those first 7 games where would we be in the table now after 32 games?
We’d surely be in the top 10.
Out of all the signings McCann has made I would suggest the disappointing one is Broadbent,
He’s made some terrific signings for me,
Nixon, Sterry, Timmy, senior, wood, Bailey, hak, Ironside, maxim, have all been terrific signings.
A few loans haven’t worked out like Roberts, marsh the lad from Bolton, but this mainly down to injuries.
Then we have the young lads McGrath, sotana, who both in my opinion showed plenty of potential, and were both probably no lose signings.
When you look at the shite we’ve signed over the last 5 years or so, McCanns recruitment has been excellent

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 01, 2024, 08:34:34 am by dickos1 »
To add to what I’ve just said,
Disregarding the first 7 games of the season we have got 50 points from 32 games.
Looking at the league table, 50 points from 32 games would have had us sat in 7th place at that stage. So it is a simplistic way of looking at it but just shows how our poor start has affected the season. 7th place after 32 games would’ve been a v good season so far, but just because of those 7 games we were sat in 20th rather than 7th.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 01, 2024, 09:35:57 am by drfcsteve »
I genuinely don’t understand the animosity from some about looking at the data around players. All those that advocate it are saying is we could do better than we do currently.

You don’t have to be a long time supporter to remember us competing with Brighton and Brentford, and look at where they are now.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 01, 2024, 09:45:33 am by Campsall rover »
I genuinely don’t understand the animosity from some about looking at the data around players. All those that advocate it are saying is we could do better than we do currently.

You don’t have to be a long time supporter to remember us competing with Brighton and Brentford, and look at where they are now.
Bournemouth !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 01, 2024, 10:02:07 am by dickos1 »

It’s a good point and I’m all for the data. But we can’t just say Brighton and Brentford are where they are because they look at data.
They’ve spent millions and millions and millions,

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 01, 2024, 10:09:31 am by drfcsteve »
Yes they’ve still had to put the money in but they’ve got much better value for it to get where they are. Brentford’s wage bill is about the same as Leeds and significantly less than Leicester’s who are both obviously in the league below.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 01, 2024, 10:11:27 am by DonnyOsmond »

It’s a good point and I’m all for the data. But we can’t just say Brighton and Brentford are where they are because they look at data.

And they've made millions. Do it on a lower scale and we'd be back competing for promotion to the Championship, not scrambling around the doldrums of League Two.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 01, 2024, 10:42:55 am by GazLaz »

They’ve spent money but it’s all relative isn’t it? They have invested money (yes millions) and got a huge return on it. They’ve rolled this model out successfully in other countries as well. They have used the same data that’s earned them (literally) billions betting on football.

Tony Bloom has a million pound a game on in the Premier League, he’s made himself a billionaire gambling. By your theory he should get no credit for that because he’s spent millions!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 01, 2024, 11:15:47 am by Nudga »

Get over yourself.

You are getting extremely boring with the same old drivel you keep spouting towards me. Keyboard warrior with too much time on his hands. You honestly haven’t got a clue about me, what I know, what I don’t know or my relationships with people at the club. I’ve been posting on this forum (and predecessors) for as long as I can remember, disagreed with loads of people and I have honestly never encountered such a ghastly figure as yourself.

Oh and these “opinions”. I’ve spent the last number of years working for an organisation that turns over 100m a year betting on football using analytics and machine learning systems put together by some of the best data analysts churned out by Cambridge University. We provide recruitment data to top level football clubs around the world and integrate automated pricing models into bookmakers systems. I’ve worked along side people that have managed in the EFL, worked for the FA and headed football operations at the biggest bookmakers in the country. If you think I base what I say on fresh air then fair enough. I’ll give you a little hint though, there’s slightly more to these “opinions” than that.

But of a climb down from crane driving Gaz.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 01, 2024, 11:51:02 am by Colin C No.3 »

Get over yourself.

Your first paragraph.

I seem to have touched a nerve. Still, knockers gave your post a like so you’re in good company there.

If you, or indeed anyone on the forum posts negatively they should expect to be challenged, as I challenge you. I tend to quote you to show how ridiculously bombastic your comments are. Comments that more often than not are one line ‘tossed off’ remarks made by someone who comes across as a smug t**t.

Example on Joe Ironside. “Won’t score ten goals from open play”. That was it. No ‘in my opinion’ just an unnecessary one line negative remark made at the beginning of this year against the spearhead of our team who sweats blood & battles for every ball in every game. And before you tell me he’s not scored ten from open play, that’s not the point…is it. What drives you to come out with (to use your phrase) drivel like that, really. Does it add anything to the thread? Is it enlightening, revealing, thought provoking? No. It’s negative, uncalled for, needless, mindless & pointless. It’s you.

I could also say ‘ditto’ to that paragraph.

Your second paragraph.

As curriculum vitae’s go, that wouldn’t have got you an interview in my line of work where attention to detail, being able to ‘read’ & produce intel reports, profile indicators on groups & individuals allied with the ability not to be blinded by but on occasions to’ see past’ what the data is telling you & trust your instincts were ‘givens’ in a role where your actions could have life changing effects on people.

I tell you that much about myself so that you can be assured I have plenty to keep me occupied however, you can also rest assured that I will continue to challenge you (& any other forum members I feel are being unreasonably negative especially the ones like you, who do so with such arrogance) whether they consider me to be boring, repetitive or even ghastly.

To sum up (regarding your second paragraph), get over yourself.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 12:16:01 pm by Colin C No.3 »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 01, 2024, 12:15:43 pm by GazLaz »

Get over yourself.

Your first paragraph.

I seem to have touched a nerve. Still, knockers gave your post a like so you’re in good company there.

If you, or indeed anyone on the forum posts negatively they should expect to be challenged, as I challenge you. I tend to quote you to show how ridiculously bombastic your comments are. Comments that more often than not are one line ‘tossed off’ remarks made by someone who comes across as a smug t**t.

Example on Joe Ironside. “Won’t score ten goals from open play”. That was it. No ‘in my opinion’ just an unnecessary one line negative remark made at the beginning of this year against the spearhead of our team who sweats blood & battles for every ball in every game. And before you tell me he’s not scored ten from open play, that’s not the point…is it.

I could also say ‘ditto’ to that paragraph.

Your second paragraph.

As curriculum vitae’s go, that wouldn’t have got you an interview in my line of work where attention to detail, being able to ‘read’ & produce intel reports, profile indicators on groups & individuals allied with the ability not to be blinded by but on occasions to’ see past’ what the data is telling you & trust your instincts were ‘givens’ in a role where your actions could have life changing effects on people.

I tell you that much about myself so that you can be assured I have plenty to keep me occupied however, you can also rest assured that I will continue to challenge you (& any other forum members I feel are being unreasonably negative especially the ones like you, who do so with such arrogance) whether they consider me to be boring, repetitive or even ghastly.

To sum up (regarding your second paragraph), get over yourself.

And I suppose you carry council over judging what is negativity and what is actually likely reality….

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 01, 2024, 12:20:36 pm by Filo »
I for one enjoy your sats and opinions Gaz, might not agree with all of your opinions like, but thats life, but most certainly do align with my own opinions, carry on with the analytics, everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with them

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 01, 2024, 12:43:37 pm by GazLaz »
I for one enjoy your sats and opinions Gaz, might not agree with all of your opinions like, but thats life, but most certainly do align with my own opinions, carry on with the analytics, everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with them

Forums like this wouldn’t exist if everyone had the same opinion would they.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on April 01, 2024, 12:45:14 pm by Filo »

Forums like this wouldn’t exist if everyone had the same opinion would they.

Very true

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 01, 2024, 01:12:58 pm by ncRover »
I like the diversity of opinions on this forum. Way better than the #drfc hashtag on Twitter,  where it’s often been a negativity competition.

I’ve researched a few potential transfer targets and was going to do a post on them soon similar to what VivaRovers (I think) did a few years ago. I’d be interested to see what people think.

I thought I’d give it a go after my crystal ball being right on Ironside and then Hakeeb ;)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 01, 2024, 05:35:34 pm by dickos1 »

They’ve spent money but it’s all relative isn’t it? They have invested money (yes millions) and got a huge return on it. They’ve rolled this model out successfully in other countries as well. They have used the same data that’s earned them (literally) billions betting on football.

Tony Bloom has a million pound a game on in the Premier League, he’s made himself a billionaire gambling. By your theory he should get no credit for that because he’s spent millions!

That’s not my theory at all, my theory was to compare us to those two is ridiculous because we would have to spend a lot more money than we currently do.
Not suggesting it’s not a good way of working but we can’t be compared when you consider the transfer fees and wages involved

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 01, 2024, 05:43:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »

That’s not my theory at all, my theory was to compare us to those two is ridiculous because we would have to spend a lot more money than we currently do.
Not suggesting it’s not a good way of working but we can’t be compared when you consider the transfer fees and wages involved

Stupid to say you can't compare teams talent identification strategies just because they're in different divisions of the league.  The point is about the use of data and how it can give a significant advantage to those clubs using it in terms of maximising the return on their finances.  That can be applied whether you're in the Prem' and spending multi-millions or scratching around in the bottom division having to watch the pennies.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on April 01, 2024, 06:47:32 pm by dickos1 »

Stupid to say you can't compare teams talent identification strategies just because they're in different divisions of the league.  The point is about the use of data and how it can give a significant advantage to those clubs using it in terms of maximising the return on their finances.  That can be applied whether you're in the Prem' and spending multi-millions or scratching around in the bottom division having to watch the pennies.

I’m not comparing teams talent identification strategies,
I was responding to the post which said look at where Brentford and Brighton are compared to us.
It’s definitely not purely down to them using data and us not
There are other teams who maybe don’t purely use data that have done well too, Bournemouth, Burnley, Luton, etc etc

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 01, 2024, 06:51:43 pm by GazLaz »

I’m not comparing teams talent identification strategies,
I was responding to the post which said look at where Brentford and Brighton are compared to us.
It’s definitely not purely down to them using data and us not
There are other teams who maybe don’t purely use data that have done well too, Bournemouth, Burnley, Luton, etc etc

Luton are where that are because of data. They use it massively in recruitment.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 01, 2024, 07:14:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Some of us old buggers have just got to move on with the times. I don't like data, but I have to accept that it's now part of all aspects of life; sport, industry, and politics.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on April 02, 2024, 07:10:44 am by IDM »
I think there is a good argument for having the data, the likes of which is used in Gaz’ profession and I would think for coaching staff as a measurable way for assessing players and their development.

However for us “regular” fans I prefer to make an assessment on what we see in the games.  Do we think a striker looks dangerous and likely to score, just by watching how he plays and his work rate?  Take Chris Brown, didn’t score a sack load but I’d have had him in the team every time.

Do stats for an individual player such as xG, take into account how good the rest of the team is? 

How do stats measure confidence, motivation etc? Those are elements which we can form an opinion of - if not a direct measure as we can’t see in players’ heads - by watching the game and debating afterwards:

Nowt wrong with having analytical stats for some purposes, but for me, if we as fans use them too much, rather than just watching games with the range of positive and negative emotions that brings, that kind of takes something away from the whole experience.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 02, 2024, 11:28:44 am by drfcsteve »

Brighton and Brentford didn’t just suddenly start spending millions in league one, they built up slowly. I don’t think Brighton splashed the cash until they got to the premier league and Brentford’s strategy was built on identifying cheap players with potential to sell on for large sums.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on April 02, 2024, 05:16:09 pm by GazLaz »
https://x.com/kieranmaguire/status/1775191475283783743?s=46&t=xw9EI8TG6F5OW2QIXK1PaQ

Brighton are smashing profitability records in the EPL.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on April 02, 2024, 07:25:17 pm by Chris Black come back »
Huge compensation for Potter. Will be big number when their current guy leaves also.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012