Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:09:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Downing street party  (Read 15874 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Downing street party
« Reply #60 on January 11, 2022, 04:12:03 pm by bobjimwilly »
It really doesn’t matter who is the next PM. Or the next, or the next.

The opposition are a million miles away from being given the opportunity to do, or being capable of doing, a better job.

Simply waiting and hoping for this government to collectively or individually f**k up to such an extent that they lose enough votes to relinquish power is frightening.

British politics has mutated into something quite hideous over the past decade or so. Not one party, just in general. In that sense, they ARE all the same.

We are in for years and years of terrible governance, whoever is in charge. There is just no light in sight. That isn’t just because of Brexit, or Covid or any other single reason.

We are being desperately let down by all of them, and it’s not going to change for a long, long time.

For the last decade or so the Tories have been in power, and when the labour party went far left with Corbyn the British public rejected the idea of voting for such a party, so Labour and the Liberal's had to swing back to the center. I reject this idea I'm hearing more and more from mainly Tory voters though (not necessarily you Belton) that all parties are the same - they are trying to excuse the current state of the government; almost a "better the devil you know" attitude. It's BS. There are still politicians with values on both sides of the house, it's just the media are giving the soapbox to idiots and "characters" like Johnson and his cronies.

Remember when Milliband was front page news for the way he ate a sandwich? I miss those days...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 11, 2022, 04:12:10 pm by Axholme Lion »
I reckon everyone knows that Belton but some won’t admit it.

Which is why it’s not going to get any better, any time soon.

Maybe time for a new party to come to the fore?
Nationalise all utilities and railways.
Build nuclear power stations.
Properly fund but massively reorganise the NHS, slash the numbers of overpaid so called managers.
Sort out the old age pension, so people who have worked all their lives don't end up in poverty.
Rebuild our armed forces to defend our homeland.
Stop asylum seekers/migrants from landing upon our shores.
Invest in British industry. We should strive to manufacture everything we need here.
Build more prisons and get tough on crime. Make prison tough so no-one wants to go there.
Stop getting involved in foreign wars and interfering in other countries affairs.
Stop the woke agenda and be proud of our achievments and history.

That's just for starters. Why any party wouldn't want to do these common sense things is beyond me.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 11, 2022, 04:15:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
We live in a global economy, whether you like it or not Axholme.

There so many things to pick at with your post, but if you truly believe it's possible to manufacture everything we need here, I wouldn't know where to start with the rest of it.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 11, 2022, 04:19:29 pm by belton rover »
It really doesn’t matter who is the next PM. Or the next, or the next.

The opposition are a million miles away from being given the opportunity to do, or being capable of doing, a better job.

Simply waiting and hoping for this government to collectively or individually f**k up to such an extent that they lose enough votes to relinquish power is frightening.

British politics has mutated into something quite hideous over the past decade or so. Not one party, just in general. In that sense, they ARE all the same.

We are in for years and years of terrible governance, whoever is in charge. There is just no light in sight. That isn’t just because of Brexit, or Covid or any other single reason.

We are being desperately let down by all of them, and it’s not going to change for a long, long time.

For the last decade or so the Tories have been in power, and when the labour party went far left with Corbyn the British public rejected the idea of voting for such a party, so Labour and the Liberal's had to swing back to the center. I reject this idea I'm hearing more and more from mainly Tory voters though (not necessarily you Belton) that all parties are the same - they are trying to excuse the current state of the government; almost a "better the devil you know" attitude. It's BS. There are still politicians with values on both sides of the house, it's just the media are giving the soapbox to idiots and "characters" like Johnson and his cronies.

Remember when Milliband was front page news for the way he ate a sandwich? I miss those days...
I nearly wrote ‘better the devil you know’ but realised that wasn’t what I meant. I actually think that Labour believe they should be in charge simply because they are not as dishonest as the current government, not because they could run the country better.

I suppose that’s more like ‘better the devil you don’t know’.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:26:42 pm by belton rover »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 11, 2022, 04:23:00 pm by Axholme Lion »

There so many things to pick at with your post, but if you truly believe it's possible to manufacture everything we need here, I wouldn't know where to start with the rest of it.

I said we should strive to do that. Obviously we can't make everything but what's wrong with trying to do as much as possible. The more we are self sufficient the better. What's wrong with trying something new rather than the same old?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 11, 2022, 05:55:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I said we should strive to do that. Obviously we can't make everything but what's wrong with trying to do as much as possible. The more we are self sufficient the better. What's wrong with trying something new rather than the same old?

The world has tried that at various times in history. There's usually someone abroad better and cheaper at making many things than your own workers, so if you want to protect your own companies and force your own people to buy domestically, you have to make it more expensive to import. You do that by putting import tariffs on incoming goods which makes imports more expensive and so encourages your own people to Buy British.

2 problems with that.

1) Britain isn't the only country in the world. If we put taxes on other countries; goods coming to us, they will do the same on our goods going abroad. Which will kill off export-focussed British businesses.

2) If you protect your own companies from overseas competition, you insulate them from the need to remain competitive. Companies don't feel the need to invest in new plant and equipment. Managers and workers get lazy. Compared to the rest of the world, your productivity falls and you drop further and further behind them. You don't get richer by doing this. In the long run, you get poorer.

The worst example was the 1930s, where country after country responded to the unemployment of the early part of the Great Depression by putting p trade barriers to keep out foreign competition. In doing that, every country's economy suffered and the Depression went on and on. One early drive of the EEC was to make sure that didn't happen again in Europe by making it possible for Italian companies to sell in Holland, and Belgian companies to sell in Germany. And it was a resounding success. When the EEC started, the UK was much wealthier than any other European country. By the time we joined in 1973, we'd been overtaken by West Germany and France and were about to be by Italy.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 11, 2022, 08:44:44 pm by Ldr »
A few weeks after that party, my 78 year old mother was in hospital after a heart attack. None of the family was able to visit her. But that t**t and his cronies were above the rules that the rest of us stuck to for the good of society.

And don't anyone dare come in here and say they didn't know what an amoral Kitson they were voting for when they voted him in.

Knew exactly what he was, still chose him over corbyn. I think that should say it all.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 11, 2022, 08:47:09 pm by turnbull for england »
Just discovered this - clearly a blueprint for government press briefings https://youtu.be/3m5qxZm_JqM

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 11, 2022, 09:18:14 pm by BigH »

Properly fund but massively reorganise the NHS, slash the numbers of overpaid so called managers.
Sort out the old age pension, so people who have worked all their lives don't end up in poverty.
Invest in British industry. We should strive to manufacture everything we need here.
Build more prisons and get tough on crime. Make prison tough so no-one wants to go there.
Stop getting involved in foreign wars and interfering in other countries affairs.

That's just for starters. Why any party wouldn't want to do these common sense things is beyond me.
And Kim Jong-un for PM!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 11, 2022, 09:19:52 pm by drfchound »

And Kim Jong-un for PM!

Crikey BigH, if that ever did happen people would be crying out for Boris to be reinstated.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 11, 2022, 10:08:37 pm by SydneyRover »
go johnson, inveterate liar, rule maker-not taker and natural born coward, we know he won't be in Afghanistan.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 11, 2022, 11:08:42 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

The world has tried that at various times in history. There's usually someone abroad better and cheaper at making many things than your own workers, so if you want to protect your own companies and force your own people to buy domestically, you have to make it more expensive to import. You do that by putting import tariffs on incoming goods which makes imports more expensive and so encourages your own people to Buy British.

2 problems with that.

1) Britain isn't the only country in the world. If we put taxes on other countries; goods coming to us, they will do the same on our goods going abroad. Which will kill off export-focussed British businesses.

2) If you protect your own companies from overseas competition, you insulate them from the need to remain competitive. Companies don't feel the need to invest in new plant and equipment. Managers and workers get lazy. Compared to the rest of the world, your productivity falls and you drop further and further behind them. You don't get richer by doing this. In the long run, you get poorer.

The worst example was the 1930s, where country after country responded to the unemployment of the early part of the Great Depression by putting p trade barriers to keep out foreign competition. In doing that, every country's economy suffered and the Depression went on and on. One early drive of the EEC was to make sure that didn't happen again in Europe by making it possible for Italian companies to sell in Holland, and Belgian companies to sell in Germany. And it was a resounding success. When the EEC started, the UK was much wealthier than any other European country. By the time we joined in 1973, we'd been overtaken by West Germany and France and were about to be by Italy.

There's a balance though, there are advantages In British or even local as a selling point. Was talking to a sales guy at my work on it and people do like that local angle as a sales pitch.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 11, 2022, 11:10:53 pm by SydneyRover »
Yes they do pud, when they or their company can afford it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 11, 2022, 11:22:18 pm by SydneyRover »
You would think that the City of Westminster would have made them apply for a licence?

''How many Covid lockdown parties were held by Downing Street?''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-59952395

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 12, 2022, 04:33:52 am by SydneyRover »
johnson lies low, high and everywhere in between.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 12, 2022, 05:09:41 am by aidanstu »
I’d love it if Kuensberg was implicated in knowing all about this at the time, but chose to say nothing.
Cant stand the toxic cow.

Now that’s something we agree on

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 12, 2022, 05:13:33 am by aidanstu »
Johnson repeatedly said in Parliament that there had been no parties in No10.

He categorically lied to Parliament.

That is a stone cold resigning issue.

Where is there proof that there was a party in number 10?

Sometimes you just have to accept what’s in front of your eyes; nobody, even the government, are denying it.

If Boris and co can’t even accept or be accountable for this what else have they managed to blinker you and other supporters with?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 12, 2022, 05:29:28 am by aidanstu »
A few weeks after that party, my 78 year old mother was in hospital after a heart attack. None of the family was able to visit her. But that t**t and his cronies were above the rules that the rest of us stuck to for the good of society.

And don't anyone dare come in here and say they didn't know what an amoral Kitson they were voting for when they voted him in.

Knew exactly what he was, still chose him over corbyn. I think that should say it all.

It tells me you’re disillusioned.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 12, 2022, 07:52:00 am by Bentley Bullet »
Johnson repeatedly said in Parliament that there had been no parties in No10.

He categorically lied to Parliament.

That is a stone cold resigning issue.

Where is there proof that there was a party in number 10?

Sometimes you just have to accept what’s in front of your eyes; nobody, even the government, are denying it.

If Boris and co can’t even accept or be accountable for this what else have they managed to blinker you and other supporters with?

I don't wear blinkers, you should try it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 12, 2022, 08:04:44 am by SydneyRover »
the blind don't need blinkers

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 12, 2022, 08:52:45 am by Ldr »

It tells me you’re disillusioned.

You’re not wrong, I have developed a very strong belief you don’t stand for election unless you are intent on lining your own pockets. Wouldn’t trust a single Mp over anything.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 12, 2022, 09:07:17 am by SydneyRover »
I have the popcorn ready for PMQs, today's should be interesting, unless johnson has to isolate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 12, 2022, 09:08:25 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Of all the criticisms that can fairly be levelled at Corbyn, "lining his own pockets" is simply ridiculous.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 12, 2022, 09:09:30 am by Ldr »
Of all the criticisms that can fairly be levelled at Corbyn, "lining his own pockets" is simply ridiculous.

I line that at ANYONE who stands for election, likely even down at local council level

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 12, 2022, 09:26:59 am by SydneyRover »
Kim Leadbeater

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 12, 2022, 09:27:31 am by Ldr »
I stand by what I said

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 12, 2022, 09:32:42 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Leaves that to the rest of his family, but I do agree.

None of his cabinet colleagues willing to back the pm. Saw a good thing today saying they will act when the balance between defeat and issue tips to defeat. That point is close.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 12, 2022, 09:34:58 am by SydneyRover »
You're entitled Ldr but it doesn't stand up to any sort of rational scrutiny is all, there are sooooo many reasons why people become involved in politics at all levels in all parties and independents and you can only name a small percentage of them, never mind understand their motives.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 12, 2022, 09:44:34 am by Metalmicky »
Not sure if it has been covered already, but i wonder what Carrie's part in this debacle is.  She seems to be encourageable and needy.... not that Boris requires much leading. 

Think his time is up - I'm just very surprised that he has managed to ride the wave for so long...

I don't expect him to fall on his sword - as that would be an honourable thing to do - but I think even he (with his lack of perspicacity) will shortly realise that his position is untenable.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 12, 2022, 09:48:34 am by Ldr »
You're entitled Ldr but it doesn't stand up to any sort of rational scrutiny is all, there are sooooo many reasons why people become involved in politics at all levels in all parties and independents and you can only name a small percentage of them, never mind understand their motives.

Aidanstu is correct Syd, I am completely disillusioned with politicians

TinyPortal © 2005-2012