Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:56:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23218 times)

nortikorner

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #150 on August 11, 2019, 06:14:16 pm by nortikorner »
Bedale
you are right got it all wrong thinking of Ennis my total post is in correct

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on August 11, 2019, 06:14:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What a load of alarmist rubbish written on here by some.

1. Loan. No problem with this. Many of our succeful players stated on loan first. Maybe the striker/or the club in question don't want to commit to letting the player go at this time but may reassess that in January. If DM gets the player he wants, I don't care.
2. Marquis money. Who says we have to spend it all at once? See above and loans cost a fee. We have another transfer window to go at.
3. The article clearly says one striker immediately but wouldn't rule out additional signings.

What is there to be worried about?

If DM hasn't resolved this by 2 September and we haven't won a game, then have an inquest.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on August 11, 2019, 06:22:08 pm by Retdon1 »
I’m sure I read on another thread SM say something along the lines of
It's a new season, with a new budget, no savings from this season (which there aren't any) will be carried over.

Does this count for this season and any money available from the marquis transfer that isn’t spent won’t be carried over ?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on August 11, 2019, 06:22:28 pm by vaya »
Bedale

No probs. Had me confused for a bit!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on August 11, 2019, 06:27:09 pm by RedJ »
It's a new season, with a new budget, no savings from this season (which there aren't any) will be carried over.

Does this count for this season and any money available from the marquis transfer that isn’t spent won’t be carried over ?

You don't understand how budgets work, do you.

I suppose being from a finance background I have an advantage in that sense, but every financial year you have a different budget, regardless of success or failure from the previous one. That's not to say that monies gained in previous financial years aren't included in what's set aside to be spent, but it is true that there is a different budget every season as with any business.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on August 11, 2019, 06:32:59 pm by no eyed deer »

I suppose being from a finance background I have an advantage in that sense, but every financial year you have a different budget, regardless of success or failure from the previous one. That's not to say that monies gained in previous financial years aren't included in what's set aside to be spent, but it is true that there is a different budget every season as with any business.

Thanks RedJ... a true insight into how budgets work.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on August 11, 2019, 06:40:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Although I'm of the camp that believes stronger in continuing rolling forecasts as opposed to budgets, theres merits to all.....

Back on topic, I haven't read the whole thread but my take on it is that I'll be very disappointed if we bring in only a loanee.  There should be some investment in some young talent. If that's alongside a loanee then fine. If it's a free then fine, but how can you build for the future without saleable assets, surely the club realise that and surely there is something out there. Yes it's a gamble in some ways but think long term not the next few months.  It's ok planning a promotion push for this season but we have much more chance of actually surviving by taking the squad to that next level as SOD did so well.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on August 11, 2019, 06:44:10 pm by RedJ »

Although I'm of the camp that believes stronger in continuing rolling forecasts as opposed to budgets, theres merits to all.....

Normally I wouldn't disagree but I think football is the kind of industry where you can end up pissing money up a wall endlessly if you're not careful. However the board have shown if there can be a good case made for signing a player i.e. Whiteman that wasn't originally budgeted for funds will be made available.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on August 11, 2019, 07:04:27 pm by Retdon1 »

No I don’t understand how budgets work hence why i asked the question. Thank you for the detailed answer, I understand a bit better now. I wrongly presumed that if say the budget for last season was £2 million and we only spent £1.5 million then 500k was carried over to this.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on August 11, 2019, 07:06:22 pm by bedale rover »
Bedale

Easy done

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on August 11, 2019, 07:08:25 pm by Drover »
In 2008-9 We was bottom of the league after 24 games,we went 12 games without a win,losing 10 drawing 2,the 10th game of that run,we played Dingles at home,someone I know bumped into one of our ex-players at that game,and struck up a conversation with him,they discussed how we was struggling and looking like we might go straight back down,but the player disagreed and said something along the lines of,we are a decent side,playing good football and just not getting the rub of the green,he said,stick with it and we will be alright,don't get downhearted we are good enough to stay up.He was right was'nt he.Guess who that player was?Darren Moore,If he had faith in us like that,then we should have faith in him and atleast give him 100% support and a fair lengthy period to achieve what he wants to do before passing judgement.

uros-predic

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on August 11, 2019, 07:49:52 pm by uros-predic »

Thank goodness for his financial background.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on August 11, 2019, 08:00:31 pm by RedJ »

Thank goodness for his financial background.

:zzz:

Just thought I'd say WHY I know something rather than be a smart arse know-nothing know-it-all like some people on here, that alright wi you?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:02:54 pm by RedJ »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on August 11, 2019, 08:44:23 pm by Nudga »
I'm done with the absolute f**kin' bell ends on this forum.

Get in!!

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on August 11, 2019, 09:02:57 pm by godlike1 »
Are there any points on this thread that worthwhile or valid or just moaning for the sake of it.

Reading between the lines, we haven't got who we went for............. Whoever that was. Be it 1or 2 players. Now the prem n champ market has closed there is not much quality left out there, nor clubs wanting to let players go now.

Next best bit is a loan to cover the gap and give some strength in depth until no longer than Jan hopefully

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on August 11, 2019, 09:05:06 pm by IDM »
All i would suggest is read the DFP article and judge for yourself..

Cameron Rowe

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on August 11, 2019, 09:26:36 pm by Cameron Rowe »
Whats funny esdailles left foot?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on August 11, 2019, 09:26:53 pm by Donnybob »
If there's two lessons I've learned in my happy and rewarding life is, never attempt to reason with a sulky teenager, nor a mentally challenged adult.

You dealing with folk who claim Rochdale are a 'bang average side'. That would be the same Rochdale sitting on top of the form table with 4 wins and one defeat in their last 6 games, I guess.

Simplistic people who make unreasonable demands and waste energy trying to change the past rather than the future.

School holidays, eh? Pfffttt...!

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on August 11, 2019, 09:28:28 pm by esdailles left foot »
You genuinely believe we will bring in 3-4 players. We'll be lucky to bring in 3 - 4 more fans

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on August 11, 2019, 09:29:51 pm by IDM »
One less would be a start..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on August 11, 2019, 10:43:35 pm by dickos1 »
If there's two lessons I've learned in my happy and rewarding life is, never attempt to reason with a sulky teenager, nor a mentally challenged adult.

You dealing with folk who claim Rochdale are a 'bang average side'. That would be the same Rochdale sitting on top of the form table with 4 wins and one defeat in their last 6 games, I guess.

Simplistic people who make unreasonable demands and waste energy trying to change the past rather than the future.

School holidays, eh? Pfffttt...!

Surely you aren’t quoting a form table that stretches across 5 months and 2 differing seasons?
Rochdale are an average side, each year they’re battling away amongst the bottom 6 sides.
That’s not to say Saturday wasn’t a good result because it was in the circumstances.
But we absolutely destroyed them earlier this year and I fully expect them to finish around the bottom 3rd of the table again

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on August 11, 2019, 11:00:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So, we should be taking these sides apart then should we? Top teams sometimes struggle to beat these average sides by the odd goal, we all know that. Look at some of our results last season with what some say was a far stronger team.

Sunderland made a habit of drawing against some bang average teams last season.

rabjohns

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on August 11, 2019, 11:32:19 pm by rabjohns »
There must be some decent incomings otherwise Whiteman would have headed M62 east

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on August 11, 2019, 11:34:01 pm by since-1969 »
“Mystery Striker” it’s a Mystery team with 10 new faces . We are all carping about a striker yet the management has filled virtually every position apart from . So who ever takes the No: 9 shirt who makes way upfront for him.   

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on August 11, 2019, 11:34:49 pm by NickDRFC »
If we want to trouble the top six we should be getting at least 4 points from these types of fixtures. Right now, given the shit show of a close season we’ve experienced, two draws is ok, but there’s no doubt we need to up our game to fulfill the board’s ambitions of promotion.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on August 11, 2019, 11:45:18 pm by Canadian Rover »
Really pleased with our #7 upfront at the moment. 2 games 2 goals (2 cracking goals). Alfie has been superb in a new position and may well be our new Wilkes albiet less goals but more consistent effort.

I'm enjoying watching the Rovers again.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on August 11, 2019, 11:53:48 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
If we want to trouble the top six we should be getting at least 4 points from these types of fixtures...
Call me ambitionless, but I'd be happy with 3 points a game.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on August 12, 2019, 12:04:39 am by Donnybax »
Really pleased with our #7 upfront at the moment. 2 games 2 goals (2 cracking goals). Alfie has been superb in a new position and may well be our new Wilkes albiet less goals but more consistent effort.

I'm enjoying watching the Rovers again.
you didn’t enjoy watching us last season?!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on August 12, 2019, 07:46:21 am by NickDRFC »
If we want to trouble the top six we should be getting at least 4 points from these types of fixtures...
Call me ambitionless, but I'd be happy with 3 points a game.

4 points from the pair of games.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on August 12, 2019, 08:16:56 am by jackthelad »
I don't like to sound negative but it sounds very underwhelming doesn't it... So we get lots of the higher earners off the books, sell our top goalscorer and only out and out striker and potentially replace him with ONE striker on loan.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't given the false hope with the two bids supposedly being accepted last week.

Taylor is a good signing and I was pleased with it but I really expected at least one striker to be singed and some of the JM money being spent. I don't think that's unreasonable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012