Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:41:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23216 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #180 on August 12, 2019, 08:20:05 am by Chris Black come back »
Maybe still waiting for the cheque to clear from Portsmouth? Or like an aggrieved victim of parking fine, they have paid the £2million in penny pieces and Baldwin is still at NatWest counting them out?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on August 12, 2019, 08:28:45 am by IDM »
I don't like to sound negative but it sounds very underwhelming doesn't it... So we get lots of the higher earners off the books, sell our top goalscorer and only out and out striker and potentially replace him with ONE striker on loan.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't given the false hope with the two bids supposedly being accepted last week.

Taylor is a good signing and I was pleased with it but I really expected at least one striker to be singed and some of the JM money being spent. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Read the DFP article again.  Nowhere does it suggest that this potential loanee will be the last signing..

Of course, everyone can be concerned until signings become visible.  Taylor came in unawares to fans until an hour or so before being unveiled.  Why not others yet to come.?

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on August 12, 2019, 08:33:34 am by anton123 »
Maybe the right replacement is not available to buy just now so we loan someone who can score goals TIL jan or even end of season and invest the cash then

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on August 12, 2019, 08:36:20 am by redarmy82 »
Maybe the right replacement is not available to buy just now so we loan someone who can score goals TIL jan or even end of season and invest the cash then

We had two bids accepted to buy strikers, but we could not agree terms.

There seems to be a pattern emerging, as the majority of players were offer contracts to, turn them down,

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on August 12, 2019, 08:37:31 am by Michael Shaw »
So 1 point a game against teams that are forecast to be mid-table at the end of the season is good for a team claiming to want promotion? By my reckoning 46 points is relegation material. I suspect Fleetwood will be too good for this side and we will slip further behind. So let's ignore the facts and pretend all is well until the end of the season.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on August 12, 2019, 08:49:52 am by DRNaith »
I was initially worried about the concept of getting a striker in on loan.

But having sifted through this thread, and ignored the panic, I've changed my mind.

Some of our better players, during our keepmoat days have been loan players, many going on to sign for us on a permanent basis further down the line.

If this is what DM sees as the best way forward, until we either sign the loanee or get our main man, then so be it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on August 12, 2019, 08:54:04 am by IDM »

There seems to be a pattern emerging, as the majority of players were offer contracts to, turn them down,

Must be some conspiracy eh.?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on August 12, 2019, 08:54:42 am by redarmy82 »

Must be some conspiracy eh.?

No, we just aren't offering enough, or the terms aren't acceptable to the players.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on August 12, 2019, 08:54:49 am by sedwardsdrfc »
How would we view signing someone like Leon Clarke on a season loan because he's on big wages and that way we contribute what we afford. Yes short term but he'd likely have no sell on value any way and is proven quality at this level.   

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on August 12, 2019, 08:57:20 am by IDM »
So 1 point a game against teams that are forecast to be mid-table at the end of the season is good for a team claiming to want promotion? By my reckoning 46 points is relegation material. I suspect Fleetwood will be too good for this side and we will slip further behind. So let's ignore the facts and pretend all is well until the end of the season.

First few games are far too early to judge the whole season.  As for predicting individual clubs’ performances, look at Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago..?

Do you honestly think the squad now is finalised for the season.?

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on August 12, 2019, 09:13:18 am by Michael Shaw »

First few games are far too early to judge the whole season.  As for predicting individual clubs’ performances, look at Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago..?

Do you honestly think the squad now is finalised for the season.?

Promises and patience is what we keep hearing, and no I don't suppose the squad is finalised. But as things stand we are losing points and that's a fact even you can't ignore whilst you try to put a positive spin on things. Some us just see things for what they are right now rather than what things might be with a miracle behind us.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on August 12, 2019, 09:20:03 am by IDM »
A miracle.?

Perhaps you should reserve your judgements until the window is closed.

Yes it would be better to have a striker or two in by now, and maybe that would have got us more points already. 

If you believe the report yesterday, loanee or not, a striker should be signing imminently.

If that player is of the same calibre or better than Taylor for example, is that a bad thing.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on August 12, 2019, 09:57:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Jesus but there's some lack of perspective here.

Luton had 11 points from their first 10 matches last season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on August 12, 2019, 10:37:03 am by DonnyOsmond »

Wtf is this shit.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on August 12, 2019, 10:41:57 am by DonnyOsmond »
After 6 games in the Championship last season Rotherham and Bolton were above Norwich. Anyone thinking our form or anyone elses after two games means anything then they need their heads checking.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on August 12, 2019, 10:48:46 am by dickos1 »
A miracle.?

Yes it would be better to have a striker or two in by now, and maybe that would have got us more points already. 

If you believe the report yesterday, loanee or not, a striker should be signing imminently.

If that player is of the same calibre or better than Taylor for example, is that a bad thing.?

If the window closes today and we went with what we’ve got would your thoughts be

Genuine question

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on August 12, 2019, 11:02:37 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Maybe still waiting for the cheque to clear from Portsmouth? Or like an aggrieved victim of parking fine, they have paid the £2million in penny pieces and Baldwin is still at NatWest counting them out?

i told you the real reason ages ago... they forgot they aren't legal tender . They do live in Disney Dreamland down there. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Because rumour has it Portsmouth found a hoard of unused old Kings shillings from the press-gang days and used them to pay the £2 million pounds to Rovers and the Bank is still counting them.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #197 on August 12, 2019, 11:14:09 am by IDM »
A miracle.?

If the window closes today and we went with what we’ve got would your thoughts be

Genuine question

I would conclude we were a couple of players short, at least, and especially a striker.

However had the window closed today I reckon we would have signed someone, but perhaps not the player(s) who the manager ideally prefers.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #198 on August 12, 2019, 11:15:36 am by silent majority »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

How do you propose that we keep him?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on August 12, 2019, 11:18:00 am by Wild Rover »
[quote author=jackthelad link=topic=273559.msg891320#msg891320 date=15655942

Taylor is a good signing and I was pleased with it but I really expected at least one striker to be singed and some of the JM money being spent. I don't think that's unreasonable.
[/quote]

That's "Playing with fire".

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on August 12, 2019, 11:20:23 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

How do you propose that we keep him?
should have sent him a "french letter" months ago women always get their way to be near Mummy

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on August 12, 2019, 11:26:27 am by drfc1951 »

Maybe its greedy players thinking they are worth more than they actually are.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on August 12, 2019, 11:29:03 am by redarmy82 »

Maybe its greedy players thinking they are worth more than they actually are.

Or maybe we aren't paying what the market dictates they are worth

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on August 12, 2019, 11:38:47 am by Shawndrfc »
There were inconsistency in regards to if the offers for the players were accepted or not. Still can't work out if we are still trying to agree a fee with the clubs or terms with players.

The way DM made it out was clubs don't want to let players go, might be they won't let them come to us until they have a replacement lined up which can cause delays etc.

It would be nice to have someone in place for Saturday, Grimsby game I am expecting Ennis to lead the line.

Obviously when we have money there, loans is the last thing we want to hear, but if it is someone like a Clarke (or a young striker, after checking Clarke is probably the only older striker that it could be) where we loan them until January with an option to buy and then get another striker in as well who we have made an offer for.

We will probably bring in another midfielder and defender permanently as well because I don't think we will loan any more players if the striker comes in.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on August 12, 2019, 11:54:00 am by Barmby Rover »
I don't like to sound negative but it sounds very underwhelming doesn't it... So we get lots of the higher earners off the books, sell our top goalscorer and only out and out striker and potentially replace him with ONE striker on loan.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't given the false hope with the two bids supposedly being accepted last week.

Singed..... shop soiled products being brought in? :)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on August 12, 2019, 01:39:36 pm by RugbyRover »
I tell you what - all these so called targets can sling their hooks as far as I'm concerned. They are all obviously more concerned with the pay packet than playing for Rovers.

I want somebody who wants to bust a gut to play for us, not someone who thinks he's doing us a favour, or someone who has signed for us as a last resort.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on August 12, 2019, 01:41:51 pm by redarmy82 »
I tell you what - all these so called targets can sling their hooks as far as I'm concerned. They are all obviously more concerned with the pay packet than playing for Rovers.

I want somebody who wants to bust a gut to play for us, not someone who thinks he's doing us a favour, or someone who has signed for us as a last resort.

So players should play for what we offer, regardless of whether it is a good offer or not?

I can see you've never negotiated a deal before.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on August 12, 2019, 01:51:39 pm by RugbyRover »

So players should play for what we offer, regardless of whether it is a good offer or not?

a bit of negotiation is one thing, but being strung along for a couple of weeks is something else.

and you're correct, I've never negotiated a deal to sign a professional footie player before.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on August 12, 2019, 01:53:06 pm by redarmy82 »

a bit of negotiation is one thing, but being strung along for a couple of weeks is something else.

and you're correct, I've never negotiated a deal to sign a professional footie player before.

Again, you're presuming that's the case. Maybe we aren't opffering a good deal.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on August 12, 2019, 02:05:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Again, you're presuming that's the case. Maybe we aren't opffering a good deal.

Maybe we are....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012