Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:37:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Grant McCann, the player.  (Read 1511 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Grant McCann, the player.
« on April 01, 2024, 08:23:19 pm by Nudga »
I never saw GM play against us but I seem to remember his name being on our rumour mill page some years ago.
Anyway, what kind of player was he and was he a player that our fan base feared, hated or not bothered by?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Grant McCann, the player.
« Reply #1 on April 01, 2024, 08:31:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
For those that remember, the first away game after SOD left was away at Peterborough and we won 2-1, courtesy of Kyle Bennett and Brian Stock. It was McCann who scored for Peterborough.

He also scored against us for Scunthorpe, in the crazy 2-2 draw in the 2009/10 season, when both Oster and Quinton Fortune got sent off. Cliff Byrne got the other goal!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 01, 2024, 08:48:33 pm by Filo »
For those that remember, the first away game after SOD left was away at Peterborough and we won 2-1, courtesy of Kyle Bennett and Brian Stock. It was McCann who scored for Peterborough.

He also scored against us for Scunthorpe, in the crazy 2-2 draw in the 2009/10 season, when both Oster and Quinton Fortune got sent off. Cliff Byrne got the other goal!
Oster got sent off after an altercation with him and wasn’t it Byrne that Fortune nobbled?

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 01, 2024, 08:48:52 pm by craigdrfc »
Didn’t Oster get sent off in that game for giving McCann a slap round the chops?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 01, 2024, 08:55:00 pm by Draytonian III »

That game we won when Grant McCann scored he played in centre midfield with a certain Tommy Rowe

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 01, 2024, 09:05:38 pm by NickDRFC »
Don’t really remember him playing against us (even though I was at that Peterborough game) but he was a quality player. Great technique and a wand of a left foot.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 01, 2024, 09:17:41 pm by Pliskin »
Vaguely remember him as a classy midfielder, a handy set-piece and penalty taker.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 01, 2024, 09:46:18 pm by Scooter »
The 2-2 with Scunthorpe was a fantastic local derby

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 01, 2024, 09:55:40 pm by roversdude »
Was that the game we had to borrow shorts

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 01, 2024, 10:00:13 pm by glosterred »

This the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhIvSd6qvaY

COYR

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 01, 2024, 10:11:35 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Nah. One of SoDs first games and we were absolutely awful. Lost 1-0.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 02, 2024, 12:15:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
McCann would fit into our team very nicely. A good range of skill, vision, energy and bite. A real competitor.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 02, 2024, 04:11:53 am by richtherover »
Was reading an old copy of The Rover from about 2004. Grant was actually top of the goalscorers chart with 15 for Cheltenham

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 02, 2024, 10:20:05 am by IDM »

Nah. One of SoDs first games and we were absolutely awful. Lost 1-0.

Thought that game was 2-0, but you are right, it was absolutely dire.

The only positive from that game was visualising the black shorts combo which we adopted not long afterwards!

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 02, 2024, 10:53:19 am by DMnumber4 »
Grant scored 2 goals in 5 games against Rovers during his playing career (0 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats).

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 02, 2024, 10:53:45 am by Chris Black come back »
I seem to remember first game SOD managed was a humdinger of a 3-3 draw at Belle Vue against Bradford. Next game was away at Scunthorpe and we stank out the place, losing 2-0.

Although we were a side in transition for another season or so, it was interesting to see how many of the mainstays were playing in that Scunthorpe game - O’Connor, Green, Stock, Copps, Heffernan, Guy and Lockwood all started. Guess getting to grips with SOD-ball was always going to take time.

The Scunny side that day had Dave Milligan, Steve Foster and Billy all starting (Sharp scored) and Cliff Byrne on bench.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 02, 2024, 11:35:22 am by Pliskin »
O'Driscoll's first game was a 0-0 at Huddersfield.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 02, 2024, 12:38:19 pm by Campsall rover »
O'Driscoll's first game was a 0-0 at Huddersfield.
JPT game on 15/09/06 at Huddersfield was his 1st game I think. We won that game I think 1-0 or 2-1 didn’t we Pliskin.
I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 02, 2024, 12:54:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Sorry I am wrong
League game 0-0 & it was 12/09/06

The JPT match was in Oct and we won 2-1

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 02, 2024, 01:05:41 pm by pib »
We drew quite a lot of games in SOD's early days at the club, and he didn't actually pick up a league win or a "normal time" win until his 8th game.

Safe to say his tenure was a slow burn at first.

Hudds (a) 0-0
Rotherham (a) 0-0
Derby (h - League Cup) 3-3 (won on pens)
Blackpool (h) 0-0
Bradford (h) 3-3
Scunthorpe (a) 0-2
Oldham (h) 1-1
Cheltenham (a) 2-0

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 02, 2024, 01:13:39 pm by Drover »
Billy,Cliff and Grant was always players that seemed in the thick of the action when we played Scunthorpe,Grant to me was a steady player,solid player,not highly skilful,but like many of the players he signs,the ones that turn out good anyway,give 100 per cent and kept going,all 3 of them looked like they gave their best everytime we played them.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 02, 2024, 02:00:43 pm by MachoMadness »

Oster got sent off after an altercation with him and wasn’t it Byrne that Fortune nobbled?
"Nobbled" putting it very mildly if I recall, Fortune seemed to try and cut him in half with a flying kick.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 02, 2024, 02:05:05 pm by vaya »

"Nobbled" putting it very mildly if I recall, Fortune seemed to try and cut him in half with a flying kick.

I think the clip above is the first time I've seen it back since watching it happen front of me. Fortune set off for that tackle the day after the game.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 02, 2024, 03:01:47 pm by MachoMadness »
Just watched it back now. If it was much higher he'd have given Cliff a buzz cut!

Rob Jones captained Scunny that day as well, I see. There's a centre half pairing you wouldn't enjoy playing against.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 02, 2024, 04:19:36 pm by Filo »
 :whistle:

50/50 tackle

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 02, 2024, 07:35:25 pm by belton rover »
I hated McCann as a player, especially his Scunny years. Now I love him.
It’s Darren Moore in reverse.
Funny old game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012