Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:49:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Just seen there is a Poll box

Ironside
79 (37.6%)
Bailey
104 (49.5%)
Molyneux
9 (4.3%)
Adalukan
9 (4.3%)
Craig
1 (0.5%)
TLT
1 (0.5%)
Wood
4 (1.9%)
Anderson
1 (0.5%)
Sterry
0 (0%)
Maxwell
2 (1%)
Biggins
0 (0%)
Westbrooke
0 (0%)
Olowu
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Voting closed: May 03, 2024, 03:37:27 pm

Author Topic: Player of Season  (Read 1797 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Player of Season
« on April 28, 2024, 03:37:27 pm by Campsall rover »
Poll above now done  :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Player of Season
« Reply #1 on April 28, 2024, 04:30:41 pm by roversdude »
Tough choice between Bailey and Ironside but went for Bailey purely for the fact he’s been ever present and played everywhere

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 28, 2024, 04:32:04 pm by Northants Nomad »
Strikers always get the plaudits and Ironside with 20 league goals plus cups has been fab. But for sheer versatility, adaptability, resilience etc, I had to go Bailey.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 28, 2024, 04:35:33 pm by Copps is Magic »
If you're talking about work rate, resilience and looking beyond purely goals then you also have to look back at ... Ironside. He does all of those things (plus bangs in the goals).

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 28, 2024, 04:41:34 pm by Plumbster »
Hard to choose but Bailey for me, did a great job when we needed him at the back, and has continued to grow in the midfield role, not just solid but with assists and a goal threat.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 28, 2024, 04:48:03 pm by Campsall rover »
Well I think I probably should have just put Ironside and Bailey as choices because undoubtedly it’s between those 2.

Played the most games and been the 2 most consistent players.
I went for Ironside by only by a whisker.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 28, 2024, 04:50:24 pm by drfcsteve »
A tough one as the three stand out players that literally transformed our season (TLT, Adelakun, Craig) haven’t been here all season. Without them I think we’d have finished mid-table.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 28, 2024, 05:02:08 pm by ncRover »
Bailey has been the most consistent performer. And to have such a great season at his first time at this level. Wow.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 28, 2024, 05:09:41 pm by danumdon »
Very difficult choice between two players who have excelled throughout the season (if it had been since new year we have a very different scenario)

Both have been excellent in their roles, for me the Swiss army knife has been instrumental (think i remember GM say he was the first name on the team sheet)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 28, 2024, 05:29:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Bailey for me too. It took a little while for him to blossom, particularly in midfield as he was called upon to play at the back in the early part of the season when he played admirably. So much so, if either Wood or Anderson were missing, folk wanted Bailey to fill in rather than Olowu. Thankfully, Olowu has also returned to his best which meant Bailey could concentrate and his midfield duties, aided and abetted by the excellent Craig, he expanded his portfolio of strengths by chipping in with a couple of goals. He gets everywhere on that pitch and like good midfielders do, makes simple things look easy. His reading of the game gets better and better.

In my view, he's becoming an equally valuable member of the team as Whiteman did.  A real leader of men setting a great example for all to follow.

Joe has been a warrior no doubt and has bettered my expectations with his goal tally. Without him, we would have been truly snookered.

Moly comes in third for me. Catching the eye now with his goals which is reward for always trying to make things happen. Wide players we can expect to be a little more inconsistent but I don't think there can be many better in this league.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2024, 05:55:09 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
I went Ironside, an absolute mountain of a man, never gives up, never lets his head go down, and gets us those big big goals - hopefully with a couple more to come at Wembley.

Good to see Craig, TLT and Haks getting some votes - them coming in Jan completely changed our season.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 05:59:32 pm by Reg of the Rovers »

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2024, 06:10:01 pm by Bills view »
Ironside: tough, relentless, hero like for the shifts he has put in week in week out.

Battered and bruised for us.

Brilliant signing, a striker we will talk about for a long long time.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2024, 06:33:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
Bailey for me. Versatile, consistent, ever present. For a player to come back from injury & in his first season in the football league is some achievement. He has been a revelation.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2024, 06:45:12 pm by danumdon »
Will be very interesting to see who is the players, player of the year.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2024, 06:57:46 pm by mpc123 »
I think im going to have to go for Ironside, but Bailey has been great all season too. Many to choose from since Jan.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2024, 07:23:02 pm by GazLaz »
It has to be Ironside. Bailey had been great but Joe edges it for me. Special mention for Maxwell who is probably our best player. Wouldn’t surprise me if there is an offer or two for him in the summer.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 28, 2024, 07:33:18 pm by drfchound »
Strikers union, so Ironside.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 28, 2024, 07:56:34 pm by selby »
  I have gone for Wood, didn't have the best start here then missed quite a few games when we were abject, then came back and has had a massive effect on the defence and midfield allowing others to play while organising.
  To me I can see Ironside and Bailey, but for me Wood was the catalyst of a changed season.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 28, 2024, 08:11:47 pm by Silkscarf »
Bailey has been immense and I absolutely love him as a player. But I’ve got to give it to Ironside. He’s been a Roy of the Rovers kind of player for us (Google it kids). Magnificent every week and just perfect at what he does. Goals matter most and strikers always get the glory. I also love that, like with Marquis, Rovers is possibly the highlight of his career.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 28, 2024, 08:47:45 pm by mushRTID »
It has to be Ironside as he is everything we have missed for the past few years.

He’s scored headers, tap ins, penalties.

He’s got us up the pitch, won flick ons, won free kicks (nowhere near enough given).

He’s been battered from pillar to post all season and never once looked frustrated or sulked.

He’s been bloody amazing!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 28, 2024, 11:22:58 pm by Colin C No.3 »
It has to be Ironside. Bailey had been great but Joe edges it for me. Special mention for Maxwell who is probably our best player. Wouldn’t surprise me if there is an offer or two for him in the summer.

Wow.

From a forward who you stated at the turn of the year “Won’t score ten goals from open play” to becoming your vote for player of the season.

Three months in football terms can be a long time can’t it….well, for those that ‘shoot from the lip’ perhaps.

Wouldn’t have broached the subject if you’d had the good grace to mention in your post something along the lines of ‘Surpassed all expectations for me’.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 29, 2024, 10:41:39 am by GazLaz »

Wow.

From a forward who you stated at the turn of the year “Won’t score ten goals from open play” to becoming your vote for player of the season.

Three months in football terms can be a long time can’t it….well, for those that ‘shoot from the lip’ perhaps.

Wouldn’t have broached the subject if you’d had the good grace to mention in your post something along the lines of ‘Surpassed all expectations for me’.

Good morning. Here we go again.

Surly opinions and predictions are formed based on the information available at that point in time. Based on the information available three months ago (team output/ predicted future team output, player output, historical info etc etc etc) the prediction was fine. Not even Nostradamus himself could have seen a 1 in 100+ year run of team form on the horizon, which then in turn impacts the individual output of players (especially focal point strikers).

Relying on fairly freak circumstances to try and prove or disprove peoples aptitude is probably not the way to go.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 29, 2024, 11:27:27 am by ravenrover »
I think it was more the way you phrased the statement, more as an absolute fact rather than an opinion even if based on statistics

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 29, 2024, 12:21:37 pm by mushRTID »

This is quite a turnaround from when you called Super Joe the most overrated player in the squad.

But respect on admitting you got that one wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 29, 2024, 12:32:20 pm by GazLaz »

This is quite a turnaround from when you called Super Joe the most overrated player in the squad.

Can’t remember ever saying that!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 29, 2024, 12:36:38 pm by mushRTID »

"I’ll tell you something else, Ironside is the most over rated player in the squad. He tries and is feeding off scraps but he’s not great."

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=289684.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 12:38:54 pm by mushRTID »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 29, 2024, 01:17:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Strikers union, so Ironside.
I was a goalie hound and I voted for him.
Would bot be wanting any physical arial challenges with him. Or on the deck.  :facepalm:
He is a proper lower league striker. 100% every game, brave, upper body strength very very strong.
1st touch excellent, shields the ball/ holds the ball better than 90% of strikers I have seen in 3rd & 4th tier
over a 49 seasons watching 2nd, 3rd & 4th tier football.
Previous 12 seasons I only saw 1st tier ( 10 seasons ) & 2nd tier ( 2 seasons ) so not going to compare Joe Ironside with ther level which he hasn’t played at.

There is only Warboys, Moss & Brown at Rovers have been as good as an out & out front man imo.
Better than O’Callaghan, Marquis and many others we have had since 1975 imo

Back to the poll.  I have no problem if Owen Bailey wins this poll. He has been nothing short of ( tying to find the right adjective ) superlative.
1st season in the EFL and he has played in 45 of the 46 league games as a starter and was a sub in the other.
He is a terrific asset for this team and has formed a partnership with Mathew Craig which quite frankly has turned us from being a below ave League 2 team to possibly the best one in the league. ( we are top over last 18 games )
Apart from Walsall away conceding 3 and Barrow home 2 and Salford away 2  we haven’t conceded more than 1 goal in any of the other 15 games. I think we may have around 9 clean sheets in those 18 games
Not researched that stat.
I think Bailey and Craig are the biggest factors in the goals against column because of the protection they give to the back 4

So Ironside or Bailey there is nothing in it for me. I had to vote for one. I would imagine many of us would find it hard to pick one over the other.

Sorry for being so long ( got carried away ) AGAIN

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 29, 2024, 01:45:27 pm by GazLaz »

"I’ll tell you something else, Ironside is the most over rated player in the squad. He tries and is feeding off scraps but he’s not great."

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=289684.0

Bang to rights guv.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012