Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:16:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Investment  (Read 13207 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Investment
« Reply #30 on July 26, 2013, 02:48:05 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well... I trust the three amigos will see us right.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 26, 2013, 03:10:26 pm by Not Now Kato »

When you join the VSC, you receive a share certificate.

I joined.  But haven't received a share certificate and am still shown as not being a member.   :mad:

I no longer get the po-up though  :woohoo:

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 26, 2013, 03:14:08 pm by The L J Monk »
As stated in our rules it is transferred back to the ownership of the society. Once you renew your share becomes yours again.

Thank you Lee.

So, in summary, your share gives you a share of the ownership of the cooperative, but you need to pay an annual fee to maintain this ownership?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 26, 2013, 03:19:56 pm by Ldr »
Getting back on topic this may interest

http://drfc-exiles.co.uk/?p=1011&preview=true
  :rtid:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 26, 2013, 03:21:36 pm by RedJ »
It may be just me, but does anyone else think of Richardson when they read that?... it just doesn't sit well with me looking at it the way the writer puts it, and I'm not sure why.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 26, 2013, 03:23:22 pm by Mike_F »
LJ, This (I know it's Wiki but it's accurate) may be helpful in explaingin how the trust works. The key line for me is: "The share typically acts as a "membership ticket", and voting is on a "one member one vote" basis"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_Provident_Society

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 26, 2013, 03:33:12 pm by The L J Monk »
LJ, This (I know it's Wiki but it's accurate) may be helpful in explaingin how the trust works. The key line for me is: "The share typically acts as a "membership ticket", and voting is on a "one member one vote" basis"

If a share is a "membership ticket", why would you have an additional membership fee?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 26, 2013, 03:34:03 pm by River Don »
I had a share certificate once, I have no idea what has happened to it.

After I renew at the AGM is there any chance I could get hold of a new copy?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 26, 2013, 03:35:44 pm by Mike_F »
To invest in things like the two youth teams we sponsored last season, do commnuity work (e.g. multigame tickets for Bluebell Wood Hospice), Purchase shares in the club etc. etc.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 26, 2013, 03:39:13 pm by The L J Monk »
To invest in things like the two youth teams we sponsored last season, do commnuity work (e.g. multigame tickets for Bluebell Wood Hospice), Purchase shares in the club etc. etc.

I can see why you would want more money to do that. But, in requiring a membership fee, and thus dictating that a share can expire, don't you devalue the concept of buying a share - which as you've pointed out, is itself intended to act as a membership ticket?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 26, 2013, 03:46:20 pm by Mike_F »
In years gone, the price of the share was £15 with membership fee on top.

As the nominal value of the share is £1 which gives you the right to vote & other membership benefits, it was decided to include the share in the price of membership. At just £1 a month to become a part of your supporters' trust which is run by volunteer fans, for their fellow supporters I reckon that's really good value.

Of course the trusts at clubs like Portsmouth and York have come to the fore in recent times but it's just as important to have an active trust building on the good times and cementing success off the pitch as it is to have one there looking out for clubs in trouble.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 26, 2013, 03:52:42 pm by silent majority »

If a share is a "membership ticket", why would you have an additional membership fee?

Because its in the rules. All members have to buy a share, they then have to maintain their membership.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 26, 2013, 04:03:38 pm by The L J Monk »
I'm learning all sorts today.

So, who sets the membership fee? Could it be set at a level that would dissuade renewals, and thus encourage shares to revert back to the cooperative?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 26, 2013, 04:05:34 pm by silent majority »
Of course it could, but what would be the point?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 26, 2013, 04:06:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
If the investment does not go through are the three owners capable of sustaining the expense required to keep us in the championship. Also do all of them really want to.
We can talk about the unknown of accepting the investors but there is an unknown about the present owners wanting to continue in their roles. I am not saying they do not or they do. But the last time we were in the championship, two of the owners stepped aside for a period only to return when relegation was inevitable.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 26, 2013, 04:07:10 pm by The L J Monk »

As far as I can tell, there would be no point whatsoever.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 26, 2013, 04:09:35 pm by Lifelong supporter »
If the investment does not go through are the three owners capable of sustaining the expense required to keep us in the championship. Also do all of them really want to.
We can talk about the unknown of accepting the investors but there is an unknown about the present owners wanting to continue in their roles. I am not saying they do not or they do. But the last time we were in the championship, two of the owners stepped aside for a period only to return when relegation was inevitable.

It's not an investment, it's a takeover.
But one of the current co-owners might not be involved if it does go through.
Maybe that's what's holding the deal up.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 26, 2013, 04:12:27 pm by steve@dcfd »
I was told it was a takeover a few weeks ago but that as never been said officially so should that be in the rumours site.
Does one of the current co-owners still want to be involved?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:14:42 pm by steve@dcfd »

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 26, 2013, 04:15:42 pm by Mr1Croft »

As far as I can tell, there would be no point whatsoever.

But I hope you share the Board's view that it isn't at a level that dissuades the membership. 2 years ago it cost £27 to join the VSC, for the past 12 months it has only been £12.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 26, 2013, 04:18:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
But £27  was £15 + £12 so you can join know and not pay £15 for one share?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 26, 2013, 04:25:03 pm by The L J Monk »
But I hope you share the Board's view that it isn't at a level that dissuades the membership. 2 years ago it cost £27 to join the VSC, for the past 12 months it has only been £12.

I do share that view Lee. I'd be surprised if the price alone was enough to deter anyone.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 26, 2013, 04:34:53 pm by Wellred »

It's not an investment, it's a takeover.
But one of the current co-owners might not be involved if it does go through.
Maybe that's what's holding the deal up.

Would that necessarily be a bad thing

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 26, 2013, 04:38:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Can see it being Dick Watson not staying on. He's not been around much for a while.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 26, 2013, 04:47:54 pm by Lifelong supporter »
In terms of not being around two of the three have been to far more matches than the other as far as I remember.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 26, 2013, 04:49:30 pm by Wellred »
I would guess its TB who is holding things up.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 26, 2013, 05:32:47 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I'm fascinated by whats happening. It could all come to nothing, or we lose say DW if the new "investors" come in, or with the new investors there could be added investment from the other three even if only a small amount.

Whatever happens, I hope the new investment is well managed investment in the clubs future and not too pie in the sky premiership or bust.

What are the motivations of the new investors if they are not simply "fans"? They won't get any return from us simply maintaining Championship status. No doubt thats all been said before  :coat:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 26, 2013, 05:35:56 pm by Wellred »
I remember it was also said what was the motivation of DW and TB as when they invested in DRFC they were not fans of DRFC either.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 26, 2013, 05:50:20 pm by graingrover »
This would be the first ' out of town' owner and for sure the only possible motivation can be the spoils that the Premiership brings these days to clubs  .. just further augmented with the arrival of another media channel BT Sports.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 26, 2013, 06:17:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
There have been recent 'out of towners' in the guise of Mr Kenneth Richardson - and the rest is history. The KM2 have through their company Keepmoat been closely associated with the town for several decades and after selling up and making a pile wanted to put something back into the town. Why anyone who wasn't loking to do a bit of good or was a lifelong fan would want to invest in Rovers is an absolute mystery.

We also have to look at ourselves. Do we want a club that is close to us (Chairman as much a lifelong fan as we are) and slowly building to hold our own in the Championship with our own identity doing things our way - or do we want to become the plaything of some rich benefactor hellbent on forcing us into the Premier League and without consideration for the mong term sustainability of the club or the identity of the club?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 26, 2013, 06:23:28 pm by Wellred »
Yes please I will take being forced into the Premiership every time.
I want to go down to the Keepmoat and watch my team win every game. If that means we get into the premiership and we are playing the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc etc bring it on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012