Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:30:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A question for the VSC Directors  (Read 1955 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
A question for the VSC Directors
« on July 26, 2013, 06:45:16 am by Chris Black come back »
Nobody is expecting a running commentary on what are clearly sensitive discussions but what assurances are the VSC Directors, as custodians of the VSC shareholding in the club, seeking about potential ownership changes that have been widely reported?

The minute size of the VSC shareholding compared to JR and the KM2 does not give us any veto of course, but it does surely give us a seat at the table?

The shareholding is there to ensure supporters are not overlooked at times like these. We need to know that in addition to the faith we all have in JR to do the right thing, the VSC Directors are also scrutinising the bone fides of any new potential owners?

I have a press clipping from the Star in 1993 reporting that JR had sold his small shareholding in the club to Richardson because he had been forced out of the club and was no longer welcome at Belle Vue. Only a small stake but this set alarm bells ringing. Hope the VSC can use their small holding to similar ends.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: A question for the VSC Directors
« Reply #1 on July 26, 2013, 07:30:53 am by Alickismyhero »
Chris, I think you make a very relevant point, just what is the correct roll of the VSC in a position like this? My view is that at this stage the VSC is relatively toothless and becomes an extension of the board. I have no doubt that the VSC know a lot more than the average supporter but its hands are tied because of the need for confidentiality. I am not being critical of the VSC it is a very difficult position they are in. We are all waiting for the outcome of these negotiations and hoping it turns out for the best.

There will be negative and positive views expressed on this issue which should be viewed as a healthy approach to the workings of the forum.

Unfortunately all our views will be based on ignorance until it all pans out.

My fingers are crossed it turns out for the best as it is a very worrying time and the thought of spending more than we take in is my main concern.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 26, 2013, 08:12:30 am by graingrover »
 VSC  used to have a seat on the board with Andy Liney of course but I am not sure what happened to the position  when he retired. Maybe be it was an honorary  position only.

The most important concern in my view is not so much financial but ' values' and the club's ethos . That is what needs to be protected in the interests of the fans and the broader community from which we draw our support.
 The continued Chairmanship of John Ryan is the only real guarantee of that aspect .   

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 26, 2013, 08:29:32 am by GazLaz »
Good point this. We are share holders so should be informed otherwise the shares are meaningless surely.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 26, 2013, 08:50:17 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Andy Liney's position was as of right because at that time the VSC was the third largest shareholder and we had a specific agreement that once we had invested the £50k that most of the other directors had put in, we would have a seat.  However, by the time Andy stepped down, that position had changed due to new directors putting in substantially more money as Rovers rose through the ranks.  In any event, Andy's hands were often tied by confidentiality issues and his duty to the club as a Director

The directorship was the best way of keeping direct contact with what was going on at the club at that time, but other ways have now been found that are pretty much as effective under the club's current, bigger structure.  I love the IRWT and Liaison officer inititaives.  They are exactly what the VSC was set up for

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 26, 2013, 09:43:30 am by Filo »
The OP is a very valid question and probably one of the most sensible things posted for a long time, do we have grounds for a Extraordinary General Meeting of the VSC membership to discuss the VSC position in all of this?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 26, 2013, 10:25:35 am by silent majority »
Dave,

There no grounds for an EGM at this moment in time. I can assure the VSC members we are working hard on their behalf. It's no secret that talks are ongoing and until they progress further there's nothing for us to say.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 26, 2013, 10:38:52 am by graingrover »
i thank you for explaining the VSC Directoship issue .. and yes VSC has moved on with the issue of fan representation in a very psitive way . The issue of ethos and values will not be in any agreement as such but the point ( ethos)is essential to the club's future just as much as the finances I guess.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 26, 2013, 12:07:20 pm by bobjimwilly »
I would also like to add if people are wanting to get answers from the VSC, Directors are only obliged to give answers to members. I would also advise anyone who isn't already a member that the more members the VSC has, the louder our voice, and ultimately shareholding, will be.  :aok:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 26, 2013, 03:37:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
This does border on the ridiculous though. I am not saying the reported investment is a bad thing but then again it is impossible to know whether it is likely to be a good thing either.

The truth is that supporters have no idea who these people are, what are their intentions and why on earth they want to invest in just about the smallest club in the Championship which in an entire 130 year history has come nowhere near troubling the top flight.

I and I suspect others are not going to be sidetracked by the odd comment of "million pounds" being made available for transfers. This is real lowest common denominator crowd pleasing stuff. We have a tiny supporter base and cannot sustainably fund a "multi million" pound squad.

Potentially (although none of us know of course) the entire club is going to be sold off or passed into the control of people we have absolutely no idea who they are! Literally no idea! Stand back and think about this. Somebody needs to be asking questions now on behalf of supporters. This could be the greatest philanthropic gesture in the history of organised professional sport but we have no idea and just have to sit back until the ink is dry. I would have though that if the reported investment was serious they would be aware of the role of the VSC (not least as tiny but still formal shareholders) and made overtures of some form towards them, direct or indirect. Is this the case?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 26, 2013, 03:43:10 pm by The L J Monk »
We'll see how this pans out, but the current angle that's coming out is that we'll be bringing in players with proven pedigree, on significant salaries.

This does seem somewhat at odds with the previous line coming out of the Club, which was that youth development is the way to go, and the only way to be sustainable in the medium to long term.

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 26, 2013, 03:44:31 pm by weststander »
How much did we know about Terry and Dick before JR brought them in? I am sure JR is determined to push Rovers onto the next level and we need to trust his judgement (and TB's, DW's)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 26, 2013, 03:50:11 pm by RedJ »
We'll see how this pans out, but the current angle that's coming out is that we'll be bringing in players with proven pedigree, on significant salaries.

This does seem somewhat at odds with the previous line coming out of the Club, which was that youth development is the way to go, and the only way to be sustainable in the medium to long term.

To be fair, nothing has been said to suggest that they won't also be pumping money into the youth too. That could be a nice little earner for them, even more so if we did make it to the Premier League.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 26, 2013, 03:56:20 pm by silent majority »
I'm in serious danger of repeating myself here. The VSC are working hard on behalf of all DRFC supporters, at this moment in time we will not be adding to any speculation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012