Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:47:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman signs  (Read 7120 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: Whiteman signs
« Reply #30 on January 11, 2018, 02:35:07 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Regardless of the fee, Fergie has asked & the board said "Yes".

He's scored 7 goals (so far) from midfield. He has the potential to become a stalwart in the team as DF continues to build.

"Next please!".

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 11, 2018, 02:41:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »
7 goals in half a season. Imagine how many he'd get in a couple years time and then what his value would be. Brilliant signing. Great to see players want to play for Fergie.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 11, 2018, 02:43:29 pm by adamtherover »
I've heard £750,000 is a six-figure number.
So is £1232.59p

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 11, 2018, 03:13:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Great. Now we just need a left back loanee and we're back to where we were before Toffolo's injury.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 11, 2018, 03:45:27 pm by Jonathan »
Great. Now we just need a left back loanee and we're back to where we were before Toffolo's injury.

Alan, I think as a club we are in a much stronger and more favourable position as now, instead of developing a player for the benefit of another club, we are developing him for our own benefit. In many respects I’d argue similarly re: Toffolo / Garratt. Not sure Toffolo was all that much better, if at all. Results would possibly support that, and it’s surely better for our club to bring Garratt along.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 11, 2018, 03:57:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
Yes, I can see that point, but Garrett has years on his side and a short-term loan would be great business all round, both for the Club and for Garrett himself as he wouldn't feel under so much pressure to have to perform. It also keeps the squad strength in depth about right, as if Garrett picks up an injury, what then?

We had a good demonstration of Mason trying to switch roles last Saturday and it's not always going to work. Plus, is it really fair on Mason? I'll answer for you .... no, it isn't.

I'm not suggesting we need another permanent in, as we have Danny getting himself back, but we need a tried and tested left back. The manager thought so himself and acquired Toffolo, but unfortunately he got injured and we can't wait to see if he's ok. Maybe the Irish lad can fill in, if we get him? Trouble is, we don't know how good he is, anyway.

Ben is a good signing, but we are still a man down.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 11, 2018, 03:59:53 pm by graingrover »
I agree Jonathan and with respect Alan, I see it as more than status quo as it continues to cement the club's declared strategy of the measured development of a Championship squad .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 11, 2018, 04:41:32 pm by RoversAlias »
I do agree that we need a left back in on loan for the rest of the season, for Garratt to be the understudy of. We are stuffed at the position if he has a bad few games and needs taking out of the firing line, or gets injured. It is down to Andrew's unfortunate injury but it needs covering if Toffolo isn't returning. Otherwise I am of course pleased with our efforts in the window so far.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 11, 2018, 04:44:35 pm by Lifelong supporter »

Alan, I think as a club we are in a much stronger and more favourable position as now, instead of developing a player for the benefit of another club, we are developing him for our own benefit. In many respects I’d argue similarly re: Toffolo / Garratt. Not sure Toffolo was all that much better, if at all. Results would possibly support that, and it’s surely better for our club to bring Garratt along.

So, if he scores another ten goals before the end of the season and a bigger club comes in for him in the summer and we sell him, who are we developing him for then?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 11, 2018, 04:47:28 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I agree Jonathan and with respect Alan, I see it as more than status quo as it continues to cement the club's declared strategy of the measured development of a Championship squad .

How can it be more than status quo if we've got the same squad - minus Toffolo - that we had when the transfer window opened?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 11, 2018, 04:54:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »

So, if he scores another ten goals before the end of the season and a bigger club comes in for him in the summer and we sell him, who are we developing him for then?

Surely we'll make a profit so it'd be a good investment anyway.

Fur Calf

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 11, 2018, 04:58:42 pm by Fur Calf »
Terrific signing given he's only 21 and will surely get better with Fergie's ability to get the most out of his players. Ben is definitely one for the future and that's why the board have backed Fergie as they can see Ben's potential.  Well done everyone in making this happen done.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 11, 2018, 04:59:51 pm by steve@dcfd »

He is on a 3.5 year deal so if he does score another 10 goals for us we will be in a stronger position in the league. The club will have to weigh up what’s offered, is worth selling the player to gain profit.

Signing Ben as shown the club can be decisive in the transfer market when the right player is available. I hope, and this is not being greedy, we can bring a left sided player in on loan. Then we will be set for the rest of this season.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:38:28 pm by steve@dcfd »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 11, 2018, 05:49:05 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
If we're looking at growing towards being sustainable and able to hold our own in the championship in a few years time then this deal with Whiteman has to be one of the more significant steps forward for us this season.

Big thanks to the board  :boxing: and a big welcome to Ben  :scarf:

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 11, 2018, 05:52:17 pm by LincolnDonny »
Good signing

excellent

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 11, 2018, 06:05:31 pm by ferribyrover »
A young midfielder with an eye for goal, and now he's a Rover. It's good news.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 11, 2018, 06:10:14 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well happy with this. Well done to all concerned.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 11, 2018, 06:12:39 pm by silent majority »

How many 'if's' are in your question? One for sure but several others that are implied. Hardly the basis for asking a question like that.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 11, 2018, 06:36:51 pm by goalkick »
Good signing.hope we play him an attacking role more often.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 11, 2018, 06:46:30 pm by Upton Rover »
If they had done this deal this time last week we would still be in FA cup as we missed him. But still great news. Well done DF

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 11, 2018, 06:50:38 pm by Jonathan »

Ourselves, obviously. He’s our player now.

It does amuse me that we’ve only just signed him today and you’re already hypothetically selling him. Never let it be said that you have an axe to grind with the current owners eh.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:54:23 pm by Jonathan »

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 11, 2018, 07:40:40 pm by chrisd_123 »
I become more and more impressed with our board as we go forward.

Sometimes I can see how the lack of comment or seemingly lack of funds can annoy fans but over the last few years, you can't knock them for backing the manager up with funds on the right players.

We had no right to sign Tommy Rowe in League Two but they backed him. Whiteman today is the same ilk really. They see he's a key figure in the squad and will probably be sold for even more profit.

Every football fan loves hearing their board or manager come out with the old 'war chest' line but look at the likes of Bury...

Good work everyone at the club really! The board really have stumped up the cash when the opportunity has been right in recent years and fair play.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 11, 2018, 07:45:07 pm by drfchound »
I am very surprised and very pleased that we have got him on a permanent deal.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 11, 2018, 07:52:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We've now got Lawlor, Wright, Mason and Whiteman who have potential to step up to the next level. Potentially add McCullough and Kiwomya if they prove themselves. Houghton if he signs and Mandeville if he steps up.

Add that to Baudry and Rowe who are experienced and quality. Its looking good.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 11, 2018, 08:06:01 pm by DearneValleyRover »

How can it be more than status quo if we've got the same squad - minus Toffolo - that we had when the transfer window opened?

He was injured and had gone back to his parent club so technically we have the same amount of players as when the window opened.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 11, 2018, 09:17:23 pm by SydneyRover »
It's interesting to ponder how the management see the future of DR and how it all seems to be coming together, they must have a lot of faith in DF and the back office, it must be a lot easier to make these buying decisions when were on the up rather than the reverse.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 11, 2018, 10:04:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, it's about gradual improvement. If we finish top half, not far off the play offs then we'd have to regard the season as a success.

Add another couple of quality players in the summer and we could be Championship bound.

There's an outside chance of making the play offs this season however, making the jump this term is unlikely.

Should we make the leap this or next season then from 4th to 2nd tier in 3 seasons would be right up there with anything previous. Sounds easy doesn't it!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 11, 2018, 10:48:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
love the positivity Baz! more please

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 11, 2018, 11:22:24 pm by RoversAlias »
We've now got Lawlor, Wright, Mason and Whiteman who have potential to step up to the next level. Potentially add McCullough and Kiwomya if they prove themselves. Houghton if he signs and Mandeville if he steps up.

Add that to Baudry and Rowe who are experienced and quality. Its looking good.

This is the really important point to me. If our aim to be a Championship club competing within 3-4 seasons, then building the foundations now is paramount. Looking at our squad, the following are all more than capable - due to their existing ability and potential due to their age - of becoming good Championship players within that time frame, in my opinion of course:

Lawlor
Mason
Wright
Garratt
Houghton (if he signs)
Whiteman
Kiwomya
Marquis
Mandeville

Plus we may still have experienced talents like Baudry and Rowe at the time too, plus we don't know if there's a high ceiling on youth prospects like Amos, Fielding etc.

Any way you look at it, we are very well set up to develop into a stronger team over the next few years and I dare say this is the best shape we've ever been in (modern times at least) in this respect so everyone involved in implementing this strategy should be praised.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 12, 2018, 10:59:00 am by Lifelong supporter »

Ourselves, obviously. He’s our player now.

It does amuse me that we’ve only just signed him today and you’re already hypothetically selling him. Never let it be said that you have an axe to grind with the current owners eh.

Far from having an axe to grind with the current owners I think it's excellent they have backed the manger to bring the player in.
The comment was aimed at what you were saying about us being 'in a much stronger and more favourable position as now, instead of developing a player for the benefit of another club, we are developing him for our own benefit'.
All managers try to develop players to benefit the players themselves and the club they play for.
So, in that respect, nothing has changed and we are not in a stronger and more favourable position.
You seemed to be implying that in the past we had groomed players to sell them on.
I therefore made the point that we could also sell Whiteman at some stage in the future in which case we had helped develop him for someone else.
Hope that explains it.
All very innocuous and nothing to do with grinding axes.
As far as SM is concerned IF (that's one by the way) I understood the point he was making I might be able to answer him.
Unfortunately I don't. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012