Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:10:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman Quote  (Read 5602 times)

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
Whiteman Quote
« on January 11, 2018, 03:18:28 pm by johnny rovers »
“The manager has been great for me, he developed me and allowed me to express myself which was one of the biggest reasons why I came here in the first place.

Well Fergie must be getting something right to enable us to sign BW on a permanent deal.

I wish the vast majority of our fan base realised the impact our manager has, so we can sign young talent!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Whiteman Quote
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2018, 03:37:13 pm by RedJ »
Aye, but there's f**k all point being able to sign this young talent if you can't make them play well and/or pick up results.

Fortunately, we're also moving in the right direction on that front too.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2018, 03:45:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
If we don't sign young talent like Ben, we may as well lock the doors and not bother! I thought he'd be back on loan, like Jordan, but we've done the deed and it shows how much influence DF has.

Now a left back loanee will get us back to where we were, prior to Toffolo's injury and complete the squad.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2018, 03:52:20 pm by graingrover »
It's a feeling expressed by several other members of our squad and augurs well for the future and for the team spirit . Let's hope it embeds into the sceptics among our grumpy fanbase too.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2018, 04:30:36 pm by johnny rovers »
It's a feeling expressed by several other members of our squad and augurs well for the future and for the team spirit . Let's hope it embeds into the sceptics among our grumpy fanbase too.

Here here Brian!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2018, 08:16:47 pm by dickos1 »
It's also the reason why we got Rowe

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2018, 09:02:47 pm by GazLaz »
... but he can’t turn around a bad run.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2018, 09:08:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Last 4 games of last season and first 8 games of the season: 6 points in total.

Next 18 league games up to now: 28 points.

Not a bad turn round.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2018, 09:25:05 pm by SydneyRover »
This is a great signing and will give a boost to the squad ahead of the game on Saturday.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 11, 2018, 10:59:32 pm by RedJ »

On previous evidence, no, he couldn't. But as a great man once said, when the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2018, 05:21:07 am by SydneyRover »

On previous evidence, no, he couldn't. But as a great man once said, when the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
I think he already has, our early season wobbles have gone away and the board are backing him, my early thoughts were that if we stayed up I'd be happy but this is a lot better than that. There maybe a few more wobbles on the way but things are looking good at the minute.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2018, 06:56:10 am by dickos1 »

He had one bad run for us the year we got relegated that he couldn't turn around. One example doesn't mean he can't do it.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2018, 07:12:00 am by Jonathan »
I must admit I presumed the original reference in this thread (to not being able to turn around a bad run) was made tongue in cheek.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2018, 08:08:17 am by GazLaz »
I must admit I presumed the original reference in this thread (to not being able to turn around a bad run) was made tongue in cheek.

It was!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2018, 09:33:07 am by silent majority »
“The manager has been great for me, he developed me and allowed me to express myself which was one of the biggest reasons why I came here in the first place.

Well Fergie must be getting something right to enable us to sign BW on a permanent deal.

I wish the vast majority of our fan base realised the impact our manager has, so we can sign young talent!!

Talking of young talent, a work friend of mine coached Ben as a 4 year old and up to the age of 9 where he then got passed on to Man U. As a 6 year old he scored 102 goals in 19 games, always a strike, never a tap in!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2018, 09:36:43 am by selby »
  That's my boy S.M.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2018, 09:47:27 am by GazLaz »

Talking of young talent, a work friend of mine coached Ben as a 4 year old and up to the age of 9 where he then got passed on to Man U. As a 6 year old he scored 102 goals in 19 games, always a strike, never a tap in!!

I was thinking yesterday, the fact he’s not a Sheffield lad and a Blades fan must have helped us signing him permanently. He may have been more reluctant to leave on a full time basis if he had more of a emotional attachment to the club.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2018, 10:06:47 am by selby »
  The most pleasing part, is that after a successful loan period, the lad and The Rovers were equally enthusiastic to complete a permanent deal.
   This sends out a message to other young players at a crossroads  with their parent club, that they can come here, and if they do well,  also like the club, and are within our budget, there is a good chance they can continue their football career with us if they want to.
  If we get Houghton over the line in the summer, we will certainly have strengthened the playing staff with two very very promising young players of a calibre we have not seen at this club for quite a while.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2018, 10:26:17 am by silent majority »
selby, yes and no, but for the most part yes!

The Whiteman deal was always meant to be a season long loan deal and the budget was agreed with that as the criteria. However Sheff U changed their mind, recalled him and then made him available for sale. Despite the fact the budget was already spent it was obvious that we needed a young talent like that. Fortunately TB and AW looked at the business deal that was put forward and approved the extra spend over and above what they were already committed to. So players that do well, even when outside our budget, can be accommodated, and that's the positive we have to take from this.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 12, 2018, 10:28:15 am by silent majority »

I was thinking yesterday, the fact he’s not a Sheffield lad and a Blades fan must have helped us signing him permanently. He may have been more reluctant to leave on a full time basis if he had more of a emotional attachment to the club.

Agreed. I'm not sure where he's from originally, my colleague is connected to Bury FC but I think Ben is Bradford way.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 12, 2018, 10:32:49 am by roversam »
Born in Rochdale

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 12, 2018, 10:32:56 am by GazLaz »

Agreed. I'm not sure where he's from originally, my colleague is connected to Bury FC but I think Ben is Bradford way.

Rochdale I believe.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 12, 2018, 10:39:34 am by Bentley Bullet »
We must be doing summat right ........

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 12, 2018, 11:19:57 am by selby »
  S.M. even more credit to our board then, let's hope that some of the doubters on here take what you say on board. I will not hold my breath though.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 12, 2018, 06:59:37 pm by godlike1 »

Bloody hell, where did you get that quote from? Or is it artistic licence?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 12, 2018, 07:14:03 pm by drfchound »
  That's my boy S.M.

Tap in or not?
Do I get my job back mate.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 12, 2018, 07:44:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Pinched it off Facebook. Don't know if it's genuinely Billy's words or not.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 12, 2018, 08:00:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Strange that, born in Rochdale. Must be why he played like a man possessed in our league game at Spotland. He was outstanding imo and was my man of the match.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 12, 2018, 08:08:12 pm by GazLaz »

Pinched it off Facebook. Don't know if it's genuinely Billy's words or not.

It’s a work of fiction.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 12, 2018, 08:10:16 pm by Jonathan »
I believe the term is #fakenews

TinyPortal © 2005-2012