Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:36:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Williams  (Read 13510 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Williams
« Reply #60 on January 12, 2018, 08:07:35 pm by GazLaz »
When you factor in that these players will be amongst the very highest earners I think you could get more value for the future elsewhere.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 12, 2018, 08:13:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Agree about Copps also one more season for him probably.
We need Butler and Coppinger, not just for their footballing ability on the pitch but for their influence off it also. Those two are fantastic role models for all our younger players. They are the leaders we need and also will be the eyes and ears for DF and the coaching staff

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 12, 2018, 08:15:34 pm by Campsall rover »
When you factor in that these players will be amongst the very highest earners I think you could get more value for the future elsewhere.
You are entitled to your opinion but I think you have lost the plot on this one Gazlaz.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 12, 2018, 08:45:18 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I rarely agree with Gaz but I do on this, Butler has had a great season so far but if we are to progress he isn’t the answer if we are looking to challenge promotion next season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 12, 2018, 08:48:10 pm by Campsall rover »
I rarely agree with Gaz but I do on this, Butler has had a great season so far but if we are to progress he isn’t the answer if we are looking to challenge promotion next season.
Why?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 12, 2018, 08:49:25 pm by andyst79 »
Well who would you replace Butler with?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 12, 2018, 08:52:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If we want to progress we need to get rid of our best performer this season.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 12, 2018, 09:00:06 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Why?
He was far from our best performer last season or the season before, yes he’s been good so far this season but the odds are against him doing it again next year. It maybe I’m just not sentimental like all the let’s get Sharp back brigade, we need to keep moving forward and in my opinion Butler is a standing still option next season. My opinion obviously not shared by some.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 12, 2018, 09:01:41 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Not my job but I’m sure there will be more mobile younger players with experience as free agents in the summer

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 12, 2018, 09:18:38 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I get wanting to get rid of them to free up wages, but surely the 1st move is to offer Copps & Butler contracts that reflect their age i.e. lower weekly wage but bonuses for games played etc? That way we keep experience who know the club and the lads

If they don't want to sign then at least we've tried and not spunked a wedge of our budget on players who end up not playing as often

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 12, 2018, 09:25:33 pm by GazLaz »

Joe Wright is better than him for a start. Baudry is quality, and that’s without signing anyone. I’m presuming his contract is up at the end of the season btw. If it’s not he’s entitled to stay! And as I said before it’s also wage dependent, we need to get every ounce out of the wage bill. If he’s one of the top earners, as you’d expect, you could probably get four real quality players in their prime for the money Buts, Cops and Williams are on.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 12, 2018, 09:51:04 pm by Campsall rover »

Joe Wright is better than him for a start. Baudry is quality, and that’s without signing anyone. I’m presuming his contract is up at the end of the season btw. If it’s not he’s entitled to stay! And as I said before it’s also wage dependent, we need to get every ounce out of the wage bill. If he’s one of the top earners, as you’d expect, you could probably get four real quality players in their prime for the money Buts, Cops and Williams are on.
With all respect who are you going to get in their prime who are as good as them for lower wages?
If they are as good as them and in the 25 to 28 yrs age bracket they will be on good money somewhere else

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 12, 2018, 09:57:39 pm by graingrover »
Butler is out of contract ( as is Copps ) in June . I would expect Copps to ' hang up his boots' but believe DF will offer Butler 12 months renewal . Even if he were not to play as many games next season he is so influential with helping develop the younger defenders and we have a host of those and Blaney likely to join this month too.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 12, 2018, 10:09:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Butler is out of contract ( as is Copps ) in June . I would expect Copps to ' hang up his boots' but believe DF will offer Butler 12 months renewal . Even if he were not to play as many games next season he is so influential with helping develop the younger defenders and we have a host of those and Blaney likely to join this month too.
Correct, pleased graingerover you can see the bigger picture also.
 Hope your wrong about Copps hanging up his boots though as his influence and knowledge will help the young midfielders in particular in the same way as Butler will help the young defenders.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2018, 08:08:39 am by GazLaz »

With all respect who are you going to get in their prime who are as good as them for lower wages?
If they are as good as them and in the 25 to 28 yrs age bracket they will be on good money somewhere else

Tommy Rowe.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2018, 09:38:04 am by Campsall rover »
Tommy Rowe, well yes we did well to get him. Only because he played under DF previously. There are not going to be too many of his calibra we are are going to get in League 1 as imo he is Championship standard.
As I say if we get back to the Championship then yes I agree Butler and Copps will be past their best at that level, no question and Williams will be gone in the summer anyway, I am sure of that.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2018, 09:38:49 am by Alan Southstand »
Spot on, Gaz. Rowe should be played at the tip of the diamond and, if you make that choice, where does Copps fit in? On the bench? Well, yes, but he's soaking up a lot of the budget.

We need to maximise our value for money and we're a long way from that, at the moment. There are a handful of players that we can lose at the end of the season and that will help balance the costs of the playing staff.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2018, 09:44:45 am by andysly »
The influence Copps has off the pitch is unquantifiable financially. Working with Liam M and Alfie B in particular will hopefully see Rovers reap benefits for many more years.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2018, 10:04:53 am by Campsall rover »
The influence Copps has off the pitch is unquantifiable financially. Working with Liam M and Alfie B in particular will hopefully see Rovers reap benefits for many more years.
Correct, one more season for Copps. The younger players will have had another season under their belt and having Copps and Butler as mentor’s will help to bring their games on. You can’t put a financial figure on that.
Next season I believe this a squad with a couple of additions in the summer will be challenging strongly for auto promotion imo. 
It’s up to Marquis, May and Mandeville and Kiwomya to prove they are good enough.
If they don’t between now and end of the season then a proven goal scorer is required and that might cost serious money unless DF can work his magic influence ‘a la’ Tommy Rowe.
Yes I would have Billy Sharp back tomorrow if he still has the fire in his belly and is 100% fit.
In the summer. Well who knows??? Does DF fancy him?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2018, 11:58:36 am by graingrover »
Is that back playing grange or back training ?

It would be good if he was back in the team soon.
  uote]

I think your interpretation of 'back' is correct and I was over optimistic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:02:20 pm by graingrover »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 13, 2018, 01:05:47 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I agree DVR that we need to keep moving forward, but you do that by strengthening at the weak points not binning your strongest.

Gazlaz, Joe Wright looks set to become better than Butler but by no measure is he better yet.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 13, 2018, 01:08:42 pm by Alan Southstand »
Copps can still have plenty of influence if he's given a different role at the Club. He is having less and less impact on the pitch and that's just a fact of old Father Time catching up with him, nothing more.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 13, 2018, 02:07:35 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I agree DVR that we need to keep moving forward, but you do that by strengthening at the weak points not binning your strongest.

Gazlaz, Joe Wright looks set to become better than Butler but by no measure is he better yet.

He isn’t going to get Better though is he, only worse and I will say again he wasn’t the player he is this season last season or the one before so the chances are he won’t repeat this years form next year. I’m not anti-Butler I just feel there will be better options available in the summer

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 13, 2018, 02:24:40 pm by ian1980 »
So on one hand your saying he isn’t going to get any better, only worse but then on the other hand have said he’s got better over the course of the last 3 seasons.... why could he not improve again going into next season??

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 13, 2018, 02:29:19 pm by IDM »

He isn’t going to get Better though is he, only worse 

Why not?  Or at least why not stay the same as now?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 13, 2018, 05:53:30 pm by drfchound »
Anyone who thinks Coppinger isn’t very influential on the pitch may want to think again after today.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 13, 2018, 06:07:12 pm by RoversAlias »
Agreed Hound, and Butler was unsurprisingly the MOTM winner. Two vital players to our team and willing them to be shipped off is crazy.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 13, 2018, 06:13:21 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Copps spraying 60 yard passes right onto the player's toe end today was a sight to behold.  Don't ever remember his doing it so many times in one game.  For that alone he was my MoM but I've no problem with Butler getting it.  He too was immense.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 13, 2018, 09:03:50 pm by Paul Simpson »
Coppinger was a pleasure to watch today. He has The quality in midfield that very few players get anywhere near imo. Class act!! Well done jimmy!! Rtid 😀👍⚽️

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 13, 2018, 09:16:40 pm by The Red Baron »
Coppinger is one of the few players who show any composure when we are under pressure. Far too many treat the ball like a live hand grenade.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012