Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:46:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Walsall game  (Read 8545 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Walsall game
« on February 25, 2024, 10:01:37 am by selby »
  The first of two hard away games including the rearranged Bradford game against two sides who are mirroring our form improvement, Walsall yesterday winning 2-0 at Harrogate the second goal being credited to Mo Faal late of this parish.
  It was Walsall's third win on the trot and has moved them up to 8th in the division only three points outside the play off places and they must  have credible ambitions of attaining getting up there among the players and shakers in the playoffs in a division where a lot of teams in the top half of the division will have the same thoughts points being so close. Whether a sign of a good all round good standard or a poor standard up for debate, while we have been admittedly poor for a long period this season before our recent improvement, not many of the teams involved in the race have struck me of being special, some up there a big surprise.
  So what have we got, our better run has been built on just improving midfield energy and basic defending down the centre of the field, and getting the ball forward quicker giving our strikers more to work with.
  The surprise to me is how long it took for the penny to drop me harking on like a broken record up to and including Christmas about our soft midfield nothing passes, no tackles and generally messing about at the back with the same players making the same mistakes and play every week.
   Now that is in the past, and those wearing the shirt should, injury allowing keep their place and makes the managers job a lot easier, players like Biggins looking different players now they are playing a more natural game at a higher pace, and in more advanced areas of the field.
  Terry Bramall has worked wonders.
  Walsall's last home game was a very credible win 2-1 against Mansfield,  not the medias favourite team but the best side in the division, so a great win and achieved with less possession and stats all round and something they achieved at Harrogate  winning 2-0 with only 35% possession there as well, so must be a good side on the counter and resolute in defence.
  Draper and Hutchinson are their top scorers in double figure the rest being spread out, but resigned Josh Gordon from Burton on loan  and Mo Faal to strengthen their options up front in the last transfer window so to be respected and only Mansfield in the division have let in less goals than the 14 they have conceded at home so a hard nut to crack, and a hard game ahead of us.
   So few if any changes for me, probably our biggest recent test of our improvement, a place we have had mixed results and displays at in the past, and a need to keep our heady run going as long as possible for supporter interest.
  Lots to discuss about our team, and this fixture, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Walsall game
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2024, 10:37:42 am by ncRover »
Top scorer Draper got recalled by Lincoln.

Wood and Anderson will be up against experienced target man Jamille Matt, and I’d back them to handle him.

Might be a tough game for our forward line as  Walsall’s back 5 has kept 2 clean sheets on the bounce.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2024, 10:57:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
They seem to ve the real deal and will probably take some stopping but, there's no reason why we can't knock them off their stride. It's going to be tough but the way we are playing, the players are going to relish the challenge plus there maybe an added incentive if our lads feel they were snubbed by Faal. They certainly won't want him getting one over us.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 25, 2024, 11:32:42 am by KingKendrick »
They seem to ve the real deal and will probably take some stopping but, there's no reason why we can't knock them off their stride. It's going to be tough but the way we are playing, the players are going to relish the challenge plus there maybe an added incentive if our lads feel they were snubbed by Faal. They certainly won't want him getting one over us.

I don’t get why people keep banging on about Faal. We had him for 5 months on loan. He doesn’t owe us any loyalty. He came here finding his feet, helped us with a few goals, did his best and has decided to continue a loan elsewhere at a club closer to home. I really wouldn’t take it personally. Anyone booing him says more about them than it does him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 25, 2024, 11:54:20 am by Chris Black come back »
They are strong at home and tough to beat. Have only lost 3 league games at home this season, a record bettered only by Mansfield, Wrexham and Barrow. Last 5 home league games has seen them beat both Mansfield and Wrexham, although they drew with Sutton and lost to Newport. This will be a real tough test, on paper.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2024, 12:00:17 pm by pib »

I don’t get why people keep banging on about Faal. We had him for 5 months on loan. He doesn’t owe us any loyalty. He came here finding his feet, helped us with a few goals, did his best and has decided to continue a loan elsewhere at a club closer to home. I really wouldn’t take it personally. Anyone booing him says more about them than it does him.

I’m with you on that one. He seemed like a good lad, threw himself into his loan and played well for the most part. Lost form towards the end but I don’t think he should be vilified. He could’ve handled his departure better but you have to accept with loan players you have little control over them as they’re not your player.

If we boo him and get on his back it’s only going to give him extra motivation to score.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2024, 02:25:43 pm by Avsuptem »
We are well capable of winning this one as well and should not fear Walsall at all. They should be more afraid of us. The days when all the oppo had to do was lob  enough long balls into our box to be sure of scoring are gone now that we have a commanding keeper. We have goals in us too, i would not be surprised if we got a hatful regardless of their apparent tight defence.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2024, 03:41:43 pm by Campsall rover »
Think a hatful is unlikely but we can go there with confidence.
Let them worry about us.

Can see a very tight game.
Going for a 1-1 draw but we could win it.
Absolutely we can.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 25, 2024, 03:50:33 pm by IDM »
A draw wouldn’t be a bad result IMHO.  That would mean 6 games unbeaten at 2ppg.

But of course we should be playing to win, the lads should be full of confidence now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 25, 2024, 04:55:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I certainly wasn't banging on about Faal. I mention him in one sentence. Whatever circumstances he moved on, our players wouldn't want a former teammate to get one over them, even if they wish him well otherwise.

For the record, I liked Faal and would rather he stayed, so I  haven't taken it personally and won't be booing him. 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 25, 2024, 05:03:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby, there’s been more than you banging on about our midfield, when all and sundry were critical of our defence! Also, I’ve also suggested on numerous occasions about having a keeper that not afraid to come off his line and take command. At long last, GM has seen fit to put this right and, hey presto, the defence starts to look better. I agree, though, that this isn’t the sole reason for our upturn - but there’s no denying that it’s helped.

Onto the next, I would say, 3 games. Walsall, Bradford away and Crewe at home. If we get anything at all from those 3 tough games, I’ll know we’ve turned a corner, but we shouldn’t feel any less despondent if we get zero points, as our improvement over the last 5 has been noticeable.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 25, 2024, 05:41:09 pm by Campsall rover »
We will not lose any of them
Well definitely no more than 1

Mystic Meg has spoken

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2024, 06:02:48 pm by ncRover »
Edit**

3 draws would be good going for them 3 very tough games. I think that’s what will happen.

Just spotted also that Walsall have a fixture on Tuesday this week. We will be a bit fresher.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 07:04:07 pm by ncRover »

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2024, 10:34:04 pm by Jimmydee »

Mystic Meg has spoken

I once slapped Mystic Meg when she was laughing.

I always wanted to strike a happy medium.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2024, 09:47:41 am by moses »
We are in the home end.
My godson is a Walsall fan and he has 'reward tickets' from school so we are taking him, sitting on our hands and keeping our mouths shut.

Last time I went in the home end, away was at Scunny when LFW scored that injury time equaliser. I didn't manage to sit on my hands that day.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2024, 10:36:05 am by pib »
We are in the home end.
My godson is a Walsall fan and he has 'reward tickets' from school so we are taking him, sitting on our hands and keeping our mouths shut.

Last time I went in the home end, away was at Scunny when LFW scored that injury time equaliser. I didn't manage to sit on my hands that day.

That was in Feb 2004. Twenty years ago. Just let that sink in.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 27, 2024, 11:47:32 am by moses »
We are in the home end.

Wow what a stat.

That was in Feb 2004. Twenty years ago. Just let that sink in.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 27, 2024, 05:29:04 pm by scawsby steve »

Mystic Meg has spoken

I once slapped Mystic Meg when she was laughing.

I always wanted to strike a happy medium.

Jimmy, that joke's as bad as the one about the clown giving a nun a piggy-back.

Virgin on the ridiculous.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 28, 2024, 08:38:05 am by Butchers Red »
This game was always going to be important - but after their win last night it takes on even more significance if Rovers are to retain a slim chance of a play off spot.

Really looking forwards to it, I would expect we'll take a good following ( 5 or 600 ?? ) and if we can put out the same squad as the last few games - with hopefully the welcome bonus of Westbrooke returning for a spot on the bench there is no reason why we cant come back with the three points.

I hope Grant makes 2nd half changes a bit earlier - last week Molly and Biggins were ineffective after 55 minutes, so let's get Waters and Hursty on who both gave us more spark - Waters in particular linked it all together and pushed them right back.

RTID

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 28, 2024, 10:37:07 am by drfchound »
For the first time in years (I think) we went through February without a defeat.
Hopefully we can now carry the good form through March.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 01:18:14 pm by drfchound »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 28, 2024, 12:50:22 pm by Pancho Regan »

I hope Grant makes 2nd half changes a bit earlier - last week Molly and Biggins were ineffective after 55 minutes, so let's get Waters and Hursty on who both gave us more spark - Waters in particular linked it all together and pushed them right back.

RTID

It's all about opinions but I thought Biggins was man of the match and Moly always looked dangerous (brushing aside his 'fresh air' shot!).
No way would I pick Waters ahead of Moly. I've been disappointed with Waters so far. Lots of energy and effort but zero end product.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 28, 2024, 12:55:22 pm by Campsall rover »
For the first time in years (I think) we went through February with a defeat.

Even without a defeat hound.   :)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 28, 2024, 01:18:17 pm by Butchers Red »

RTID

It's all about opinions but I thought Biggins was man of the match and Moly always looked dangerous (brushing aside his 'fresh air' shot!).
No way would I pick Waters ahead of Moly. I've been disappointed with Waters so far. Lots of energy and effort but zero end product.

I agree it's all about opinions but FFS the description you've used " Lots of energy and effort but zero end product " fits Molly like a glove over the last 2 years - and how could he not even make connection with the ball late on V Wimbledon - the two volleys he blazed over from close range away at Harrogate, etc,etc,etc.

Sorry but for me Hurst plays every time over Molly.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 28, 2024, 01:20:01 pm by drfchound »
For the first time in years (I think) we went through February with a defeat.

Even without a defeat hound.   :)

Yes, indeed. It isnt easy to write a post with my grand daughter climbing all over me.
Edited now.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 29, 2024, 08:23:45 am by Pancho Regan »

RTID

I agree it's all about opinions but FFS the description you've used " Lots of energy and effort but zero end product " fits Molly like a glove over the last 2 years - and how could he not even make connection with the ball late on V Wimbledon - the two volleys he blazed over from close range away at Harrogate, etc,etc,etc.

Sorry but for me Hurst plays every time over Molly.

Did you see Moly's goal against Grimsby?!

He should definitely be scoring more than he does, but 4 goals and 7 assists this season is not "zero end product".
So you also think Waters should be starting ahead of Biggins?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 29, 2024, 09:00:55 am by ncRover »
Moly is no world beater but it’s much safer having him in the XI from the start over Hurst. Kyle is good as an impact player currently, he was lively off the bench last week.

That’s why Grant rarely subs Moly off because losing his tracking back and work rate mid game is risky.
While Hurst is pleasing on the eye with the ball he can’t win the ball back can he?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 29, 2024, 04:23:52 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Walsall appear to struggle against teams below them in the table, maybe they have a complacency issue, let’s hope so. Westbrook back in contention bodes well with the new lad so the bench will offer far more options than we’ve had in a long time

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 29, 2024, 06:19:34 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Walsall appear to struggle against teams below them in the table, maybe they have a complacency issue, let’s hope so. Westbrook back in contention bodes well with the new lad so the bench will offer far more options than we’ve had in a long time

I agree and said exactly the same on the “Form Table” thread on 26 Feb.

SirRobertJones

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 01, 2024, 12:16:04 pm by SirRobertJones »
No matter the result, how good is it to be properly excited about going to games once again. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 01, 2024, 05:39:29 pm by Dabbermoo »
The only downer I see is the ref for tomorrow's game, we have lost every game he has been the ref for us, hopefully tomorrow is another game added to the run of 5 unbeaten, great displays of defending, good solid attacking play and a flurry of goals to boost the goals from a - to a + very soon, however if offered a 1-0 win for rovers right now I'd snap your hand off for it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012