Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:29:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: From the Gillingham Forum:…well worth a read!  (Read 797 times)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
From the Gillingham Forum:…well worth a read!
« on April 27, 2024, 01:29:17 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
As the curtain comes down on a disappointing season we welcome Doncaster Rovers to Priestfield for the final game of the season casting envious glances at their meteoric rise up the division to the cusp of a guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

The whys and wherefores of the season have been done to death on here, the most interesting part of today will be the final matchday squad which may shed some light as to who will be here next season and who won't.

Donny, backed by well over 1000 away fans were 20th as late as February, but have gone on the mother of all rolls winning their last ten on the spin and scoring four goals in each of their last three games. It's something approaching 200 games and over three YEARS since we last scored four in a game...grim. Grim. Grim.

The only other point of interest today is the crowd reaction to the players and management, I suspect (although don't necessarily agree with) that the atmosphere might turn a little toxic should we take a similar thumping to that dished out with regularity by Rovers in recent weeks. An empty stadium for Gills "lap of honour" would be a fitting ending to the season, the players have regularly failed to turn up for entire halves this season, thousands of empty blue seats might send a message that next season must be better.

The head to head is hugely in our favour, 37 wins to 16 with 20 draws. We haven't lost to them in our last five at Priestfield, but for the highlights we go back to 95/96 and a 4-0 thumping under Tony Pulis as we romped to promotion.

Think I might give today a miss entirely, I've wanted the season to be over for the last few weeks never really harbouring any belief that this squad had sufficient mettle to make a last ditch playoff push a lá Doncaster. It really has been aseason that will not live long in the memory.

Enjoy the game if you're going, let's hope the pitch remains clear of numpties at the final whistle and we avoid another Rotherham scenario. Sadly, I think that's as positive as today can get, I can't see us getting anything from the match and wish Donny well in the playoffs.

Not bad, eh?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 02:42:07 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
Re: From the Gillingham Forum:…
« Reply #1 on April 27, 2024, 02:19:21 pm by Northants Nomad »
Not bad at all - clearly some unhappy Gills fans. This line in particular made me chuckle, whilst also realising that the author summed up our last few seasons before this one:

An empty stadium for Gills "lap of honour" would be a fitting ending to the season, the players have regularly failed to turn up for entire halves this season,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012