Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:39:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie scores  (Read 11601 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Alfie scores
« Reply #30 on January 28, 2020, 11:00:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm chuffed to bits for him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 28, 2020, 11:08:34 pm by drfchound »
Yep, me too.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 28, 2020, 11:23:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
Good lad.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 28, 2020, 11:33:46 pm by since-1969 »
Who cares
Not to****s like you obviously 🙄

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 29, 2020, 06:13:00 am by phil old leake »
Should have kept him and played him

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 29, 2020, 05:37:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Some things are obvious to the trained eye. Unfortunately, we don't all possess one.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 29, 2020, 06:40:30 pm by Donnywolf »
Who cares
Not to****s like you obviously 🙄

I spent ages trying to make that into  to-owat-s till I realised it wasnt a creative spelling !

DOH still giddy from last night

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 29, 2020, 07:11:14 pm by drfchound »
I wonder why that post from elmsallrover has disappeared from the thread.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 29, 2020, 07:22:11 pm by idler »
A City fan in the gym today was very impressed with him. He said Alfie ran them ragged and pulled their defence all over the park.

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 01, 2020, 03:56:09 pm by RedRover »
Obviously Darren Moore didn't rate the lad so I'd hazard a guess nobody thought to put a sell on clause in the deal that saw him sold to Cheltenham?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 01, 2020, 03:58:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Considering it was a nominal fee, I doubt it.

To be honest, I think he'll do well at that level but it's not like he's ever likely to become a £1m Championship signing is he?

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 01, 2020, 04:09:57 pm by RedRover »

To be honest, I think he'll do well at that level but it's not like he's ever likely to become a £1m Championship signing is he?

To me he looked more likely to go on to be a £1million pound player than anyone I've seen in a Rover shirt since I started going to Belle Vue in 92 except for Mike Jeffrey (could be rose tinted spectacles), David Wheater and Chris Brown.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 01, 2020, 05:33:46 pm by The Beast »
To be honest I never saw enough from him to think he was worthy of a starting shirt. Well done to the lad but I’ll not lose sleep thinking we’ve missed out, he had enough opportunities here.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 01, 2020, 06:56:02 pm by NickDRFC »

To me he looked more likely to go on to be a £1million pound player than anyone I've seen in a Rover shirt since I started going to Belle Vue in 92 except for Mike Jeffrey (could be rose tinted spectacles), David Wheater and Chris Brown.

Surely you’re not serious? Do you really think that May had the potential to be sold for more than Whiteman, Wright or Anderson? Or, I dunno, Marquis?!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 01, 2020, 06:59:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Matt Mills, Billy Sharp and John Marquis have all been sold for more than a million quid.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 01, 2020, 07:35:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »
May going was the right decision. We can't hold on to players just because they try hard, even though they aren't good enough. He isn't good enough to challenge in the first team for a top 6 team in League One and definitely not good enough for the Championship. Same for Kiwomya and possibly Blair.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 01, 2020, 07:36:23 pm by since-1969 »
The wee man has found his perfect fit ! 4n5 now !

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 02, 2020, 12:27:26 am by RedRover »

Surely you’re not serious? Do you really think that May had the potential to be sold for more than Whiteman, Wright or Anderson? Or, I dunno, Marquis?!

Are you serious? Oh and do you just wait for me to post so you can disagree and TRY to be clever? Do you really believe there's a host of Premier League clubs watching the lightweight and ponderous in possession Ben Whiteman of Doncaster Rovers? Well all those suitors had the chance to make a move in the very recent transfer window and possibly with the exception of Hull City of the Championship, there was no interest.

Anderson is proving to be a very good, no nonsense centre back for us this term, the likes of which we had no shortage of attracting prior to the SOD era though. I'm convinced the reason Tom and Rob Jones before stood out is because with the exception of Matt Mills we haven't seen that type of defend before all else centre back since the early days of the SOD era. Not long after taking our managers job he successfully rid the club of anyone who could defend. Who wouldn't prefer to play James O'Connor at centre back ahead of Gordon Greer. Within a year of his release by us Gordon was back in the Championship having been bought by Brighton for £250,000 despite only having a year left on his Swindon contract. Genius that SOD! 

Wright can't hold down a place in our side and we're a mid table League One side at best. Huddersfield deemed him not good enough for them and the Championship when they released him and we signed him when in League Two. I'm pretty confident Joe will go his entire career without any club handing over a single penny to secure his services.

Marquis. Difficult to argue with his goal scoring record for us but to watch him strike a ball or try to control one, the fella had no right to score that many goals over the last couple of seasons. I can't be the only person that didn't fancy him to score that penalty against Charlton in the play-offs? The following vid tells you all you need to know about John Marquis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyyL6uQsTQ

Handily the above video also features Alfie who to me is very obviously technically streets ahead of Marquis and probably any forward man I've seen at the club in almost 30 years. Alfie's issue wasn't technique it was simply lack of power which you can see in the video. I watched him closely for us and never felt he was doing anything wrong in terms of shooting he simply didn't generate the necessary power in his shots to beat football league goalkeepers who are obviously more mobile than those he was used to playing against lower down the pyramid. His lack of time spent at a clubs academy in his formative years meant he never developed the muscular legs required to kick the bloody hard enough to beat football league keepers. Come August 2020 with yet another pre-season under his belt and in his legs I think he'll be not far off 20 goals come the end of the season even if that is in League One.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 02, 2020, 12:54:37 am by Ronnie Dovers »

Are you serious? Oh and do you just wait for me to post so you can disagree and TRY to be clever? Do you really believe there's a host of Premier League clubs watching the lightweight and ponderous in possession Ben Whiteman of Doncaster Rovers? Well all those suitors had the chance to make a move in the very recent transfer window and possibly with the exception of Hull City of the Championship, there was no interest.

Anderson is proving to be a very good, no nonsense centre back for us this term, the likes of which we had no shortage of attracting prior to the SOD era though. I'm convinced the reason Tom and Rob Jones before stood out is because with the exception of Matt Mills we haven't seen that type of defend before all else centre back since the early days of the SOD era. Not long after taking our managers job he successfully rid the club of anyone who could defend. Who wouldn't prefer to play James O'Connor at centre back ahead of Gordon Greer. Within a year of his release by us Gordon was back in the Championship having been bought by Brighton for £250,000 despite only having a year left on his Swindon contract. Genius that SOD! 

Wright can't hold down a place in our side and we're a mid table League One side at best. Huddersfield deemed him not good enough for them and the Championship when they released him and we signed him when in League Two. I'm pretty confident Joe will go his entire career without any club handing over a single penny to secure his services.

Marquis. Difficult to argue with his goal scoring record for us but to watch him strike a ball or try to control one, the fella had no right to score that many goals over the last couple of seasons. I can't be the only person that didn't fancy him to score that penalty against Charlton in the play-offs? The following vid tells you all you need to know about John Marquis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyyL6uQsTQ

Handily the above video also features Alfie who to me is very obviously technically streets ahead of Marquis and probably any forward man I've seen at the club in almost 30 years. Alfie's issue wasn't technique it was simply lack of power which you can see in the video. I watched him closely for us and never felt he was doing anything wrong in terms of shooting he simply didn't generate the necessary power in his shots to beat football league goalkeepers who are obviously more mobile than those he was used to playing against lower down the pyramid. His lack of time spent at a clubs academy in his formative years meant he never developed the muscular legs required to kick the bloody hard enough to beat football league keepers. Come August 2020 with yet another pre-season under his belt and in his legs I think he'll be not far off 20 goals come the end of the season even if that is in League One.
To be fair, I think just about everyone would disagree with pretty much everything you said in your last two posts, as you make claims so ridiculous I'm not sure if it's satire or not

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 02, 2020, 08:33:12 am by sha66y »

To be fair, I think just about everyone would disagree with pretty much everything you said in your last two posts, as you make claims so ridiculous I'm not sure if it's satire or not

Then you would be a fool...
We don’t all follow the norm, some actually use constructive criticism and some look a bit deeper, voicing their concerns
but these dissenters opinions are “ shut down” by someone else’s opinion of them rather than what they have said

Positives and negatives make a healthy debate

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 02, 2020, 08:39:58 am by Barmby Rover »
We have just signed a striker who scored 12(? I can't remember) goals and was top scorer for a middling to top Lg.1 team who, like Alfie couldn't hold down a first team place as he didn't fit the manager's way of playing. Just the same for Alfie. I loved his effort and skill, but he did struggle to get the results in league matches here, now he is playing in a different league, and with different tactics he is shining, good luck to him, he deserves to be recognised for what he can do.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 02, 2020, 10:25:21 am by NickDRFC »

I don’t specifically recall ever replying to one of your posts before, so no, I don’t just wait for you to post so I can disagree. I would have replied the same to anyone who wrote that content, I think it’s a baffling opinion. You said that May looked like one of the most talented players you’d ever seen in a Rovers shirt and the most likely to move for a £1m in 15 years. I’m just pointing out there are a number of players in the squad far more talented in their position and conceivably who could move for decent money. And that we just sold someone 6 months ago for more than £1 million.

This has nothing to do with my opinion on May - I thought he was a useful option for the squad and would always give his all, and in the right set up always had the potential to do well at League Two and possibly even League One. But to put him on that type of pedestal is, in my opinion, plain daft!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 02, 2020, 10:50:33 am by Rovers91 »
Looks like Alfie has settled in well and good on him. But to say he stood out to likely go on to be a million pound player is surely a piss take. It's nearly like saying year we won league one Lee Fowler should have been player of year.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 02, 2020, 11:41:10 am by sha66y »
I’m not sure about the price tag either .....but I can see what you are seeing.
Alfie shouldn’t be compared to players fulfilling different roles, and he shouldn’t be held up as an out and out striker...he reminds me of a guy called Iniesta ....obviously not the same ability but could with the right players around him function the same..

The problem is playing a formation that allows you to dominate and retain the ball in the final third with players who want the ball,
It’s a shame Alfie didn’t get to play a role to suit his abilities rather than others expectations...

If Cheltenham were to get promoted, that fixture will be quite interesting

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 02, 2020, 12:57:51 pm by RedRover »
May going was the right decision. We can't hold on to players just because they try hard, even though they aren't good enough. He isn't good enough to challenge in the first team for a top 6 team in League One and definitely not good enough for the Championship. Same for Kiwomya and possibly Blair.

Explain to me how a lad who can control and kick the ball with both feet, run with the ball, make intelligent runs isn't good enough?

Then explain to me how Niall Ennis, who literally can't control a ball, cant strike a ball cleanly or accurately, and who when he has the ball at his feet (by sheer luck) and his back to the goal requires at least 6 touches and half the width of the pitch to turn around, is good enough? Ooh I'm forgetting his a wonder goal against Lincoln but the reality is it could of gone anywhere in that North stand, he wouldn't know what part of his body connected with the ball.

Would you of said Akinfenwa was good enough to play for a top 6 League One side when he wore a Rovers shirt all those years ago (ooh thats surprised all you Jonny come lately's only RTID since Wembley) because he is! Many, many Sheff Utd fans used to say "King" Billy Sharp wasn't good enough for them in the Championship when the Blades bought him back the first time. Kevin Blackwell agreed and let him come to us and he's a football man, been in football his life so he must no more than me for example. Whatever happened to that fat, too small lad from Sheffield who "found his level" at League One?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 02, 2020, 01:12:46 pm by vaya »

Explain to me how a lad who can control and kick the ball with both feet, run with the ball, make intelligent runs isn't good enough?

Then explain to me how Niall Ennis, who literally can't control a ball, cant strike a ball cleanly or accurately, and who when he has the ball at his feet (by sheer luck) and his back to the goal requires at least 6 touches and half the width of the pitch to turn around, is good enough? Ooh I'm forgetting his a wonder goal against Lincoln but the reality is it could of gone anywhere in that North stand, he wouldn't know what part of his body connected with the ball.

Would you of said Akinfenwa was good enough to play for a top 6 League One side when he wore a Rovers shirt all those years ago (ooh thats surprised all you Jonny come lately's only RTID since Wembley) because he is! Many, many Sheff Utd fans used to say "King" Billy Sharp wasn't good enough for them in the Championship when the Blades bought him back the first time. Kevin Blackwell agreed and let him come to us and he's a football man, been in football his life so he must no more than me for example. Whatever happened to that fat, too small lad from Sheffield who "found his level" at League One?

4/10. Trying too hard.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 02, 2020, 01:17:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anyone who genuinely believes Alfie May is a more talented player than Niall Ennis needs electrodes clamping to their knackers, with a circuit that connects every time they open their gob. Just to train them not to open their gob.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 02, 2020, 01:25:39 pm by the vicar »
We maybe should have sent him out on loan to them

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 02, 2020, 01:46:29 pm by DonnyOsmond »
These Alfie May fans are an odd bunch.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012