Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:53:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Today was a turning point  (Read 2202 times)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
Today was a turning point
« on August 26, 2023, 08:03:49 pm by Butchers Red »
Excellent display from Rovers today - took the game to them right from the off and were by far the better side.Their first goal was a very lucky deflection leaving the lad with a chance he couldn't miss. Second very much against the run of play and at no stage did our heads drop.

Second half - absolutely battered them and desperately unlucky not to come away with anything.

A rousing reception for the lads and Grant at the end - so this time last year we left Northampton having got a 1-0 victory to go 3rd and all looked rosy but it turned out to be the high spot - today wasn't and isn't but for sure they will build on this.

Well done Rovers - emerged with great credit today.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: Today was a turning point
« Reply #1 on August 26, 2023, 11:51:53 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Excellent display from Rovers today - took the game to them right from the off and were by far the better side.Their first goal was a very lucky deflection leaving the lad with a chance he couldn't miss. Second very much against the run of play and at no stage did our heads drop.

Second half - absolutely battered them and desperately unlucky not to come away with anything.

A rousing reception for the lads and Grant at the end - so this time last year we left Northampton having got a 1-0 victory to go 3rd and all looked rosy but it turned out to be the high spot - today wasn't and isn't but for sure they will build on this.

took the words right out of my mouth  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 27, 2023, 08:02:33 am by Herbert Anchovy »

I’d agree with that. This was echoed by the MK Dons fans who I was chatting to on the way back too. It was our best league performance by far and showed what the team can do, even with a crippling injury list.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 27, 2023, 09:24:31 am by Butchers Red »
The MK players celebrated wildly at the end - as did their fans. They had hung on by their fingernails at home V bottom of the league for 30 minutes, and had been outplayed for 90%of the whole game.

If that had been us,playing at home and top of the league, I wouldn't have been in a rush to read the outcry from all the Guardiola's on here.

Rovers will end the season higher than MK for sure.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 27, 2023, 09:26:10 am by drfchound »
The MK players celebrated wildly at the end - as did their fans. They had hung on by their fingernails at home V bottom of the league for 30 minutes, and had been outplayed for 90%of the whole game.

If that had been us,playing at home and top of the league, I wouldn't have been in a rush to read the outcry from all the Guardiola's on here.

I’m looking forward to the upturn in good results then butchers.
It’s going to be very exciting.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 27, 2023, 09:49:31 am by ForsolongaRover »

I haven’t seen anything beyond the brief highlights, but how do you rate MKD against the other teams that we have met this year? I hope they weren’t the worst you’ve seen!

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 27, 2023, 09:59:24 am by KingKendrick »
I would say MKD are for sure in a false position. But maybe they had an off day. I’m sure I read they were significantly outperforming their XG also. So either lucky or clinical, I’ll guess we’ll see as the season goes on

Just checked they are scored average 2.4 goals per game to a 1.12xg conceding 1.6 to a 1.56xga

Whereas we are 0.8 goals per game to 1.13xg and conceding 2.4 to a 1.59xga
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:07:08 am by KingKendrick »

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 27, 2023, 10:46:48 am by RoversInSpain »

Nailed it, totally agree.
Please let this be the turning point since that horrible game a Fleetwood.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 27, 2023, 10:57:37 am by colincramb »

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. They’ve already got 11 more points than us and 10% of the season is already gone. I really wonder what planet some people are on.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 27, 2023, 10:59:52 am by roversdude »
I’m going to stick my neck out and say we will go on a bit of a run now

pigeonhole

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 27, 2023, 08:05:05 pm by pigeonhole »

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. They’ve already got 11 more points than us and 10% of the season is already gone. I really wonder what planet some people are on.

You think 11 points with 41 games to play is an unassailable lead?! That’s a whole new level of pessimism!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 27, 2023, 08:20:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Don't understand why folk wanna make wild predictions. Old adage to take one game at a time. Things can change very quickly in football both for the better and worse.

Yesterday was a bit more encouraging but we need to see it built upon.

Treat the Everton game as a free hit with absolutely no pressure. Hopefully stay intact injury wise then we can move on to the bread and butter of the league again.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 27, 2023, 09:28:09 pm by normal rules »
As we left the ground, my lad said to me that it didn’t feel like a loss.
Here’s hoping it’s a turning point.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 29, 2023, 10:56:24 am by Move DRFC »
The turning point will be when we put 3 or 4 consistently good performances together and stop conceding ridiculous goals.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 29, 2023, 11:07:06 am by colincramb »

You think 11 points with 41 games to play is an unassailable lead?! That’s a whole new level of pessimism!

You are treating 11 points like it’s nothing! The bookies odds on us finishing above them now would be about 20/1

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 29, 2023, 11:28:53 am by Mike_F »
I always try to disregard the league table until we're 10-15 games in then the next time I have a good look is at Christmas. I look at who is 10 points ahead of us and think that's where we can realistically aim to finish with a good run in from that point onwards. The reverse being 10 points below for what I would consider a poor run in. It's not unusual to see that sort of swing.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 30, 2023, 11:42:26 pm by Butchers Red »

Going quite well so far don't you think ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 30, 2023, 11:44:28 pm by drfchound »

Going quite well so far don't you think ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Absolutely mate, I’m already looking forward to Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 12:28:41 pm by drfchound »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012