Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:01:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster trivia quiz  (Read 26501 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Doncaster trivia quiz
« Reply #150 on September 19, 2016, 12:01:57 am by BobG »
Even Cantley had one!

Bob

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on September 19, 2016, 07:20:28 am by Muttley »
Even Cantley had one!

Bob

Still has...just a shame who lives in it!

It seems that Doncaster never really benefitted in terms of grand buildings in the centre  from its main industries of rail and coal in the way that, say, Sheffield benefitted from steel and Bradford from wool.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on September 19, 2016, 01:21:43 pm by BobG »
When I was a kid there were a few decentish buildings around I think - though I'm neither an architect nor an informed critic. Obviously there was, and is, the Mansion House. But the Grand Theatre, the Gaumont, NatWest Bank and some of the ex GNR railway cottages and buildings weren't too shabby. The Gaumont was quite a gem actually.

Bob

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on September 19, 2016, 06:49:44 pm by Sprotyrover »
Did you spot this?!

Doncaster - "one of the largest agricultural markets..."

Before the rise of the industrial north Donny was one of the most sought after residential areas in the whole of the north. Just look at the number of stately homes dotted around the outskirts of the town. It was a wealthy agricultural paradise and a lot of very rich people lived round and about. Then came coal and rail and steel and industry!

Bob

Yep, look in the history and look at the amount of country houses that were dotted about this area nigh on every village had a country house the bulk of them demolished for whatever reason

The Races played a massive part in the development of the Country houses, during the Regency period all of the Hoyperloy wanted property in Doncaster and Weymouth Hamilton lodge was built for lord and Lady Hamilton (Nelsons) lover.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on September 19, 2016, 10:00:51 pm by Muttley »
Did you spot this?!

Doncaster - "one of the largest agricultural markets..."

Before the rise of the industrial north Donny was one of the most sought after residential areas in the whole of the north. Just look at the number of stately homes dotted around the outskirts of the town. It was a wealthy agricultural paradise and a lot of very rich people lived round and about. Then came coal and rail and steel and industry!

Bob

Yep, look in the history and look at the amount of country houses that were dotted about this area nigh on every village had a country house the bulk of them demolished for whatever reason
Hamilton lodge was built for lord and Lady Hamilton (Nelsons) lover.

I've heard that before, but Hamilton Lodge was built in 1856 for Captain Robson by which time Lady Hamilton had been dead for 40 years.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on September 20, 2016, 04:57:57 pm by Sprotyrover »
Yes you're right, my mistake.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012