Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:22:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lost pubs  (Read 29779 times)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Lost pubs
« Reply #30 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:11 am by Dagenham Rover »
What was that pub called, years ago, up by the high rise flats just south of the railway station? Used to sell Darleys. Whether you liked Darley's or not, it's always good to have some variety. And the Corner Pin better not be gone. I shall personally nuke Donny if that ever closes. And the Magdelene in the Market Place. I heard its a toffee nosed joint now though. Used to be a shit hole of the highest order. Shit literally (and I do mean that) running on the floor in the bogs. But the beer... Oh that Tetleys. It was sublime. IanH can tell you all about that. Last port of call it was on many a Saturday night.

Is the Turf Tavern still there? My first ever regular watering hole. Brendan and Peter K used to drink on there too. Can't think why i used to go there!

Cheers

BobG

I believe the corner pin is still up and running. Was it the Corporation Brewery Taps you were on about near the high rises?

The Vine is the one you are on about Bob

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 30, 2013, 06:49:13 am by Donnywolf »
The Fox (Alick Jeffrey used to be landlord), Peacock, King George Hotel, Demi, Welfare, Mosses (Reform Club), all now closed or demolished in Stainy, and the Harvester is up for sale. The Abbey in Dunscroft is no longer around either!

White Hart in Thorne is shut and boarded up
Is the Mailed Horse being shut down? last time I drove through that had them metal window things up.

Mailed Horse is still open,although it has closed and reopened a few times, I think it`s for sale now

Looks shut again - but as you say is "For Sale"

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 30, 2013, 06:50:24 am by Donnywolf »

I believe the corner pin is still up and running. Was it the Corporation Brewery Taps you were on about near the high rises?
[/quote]

The Vine atop Balby Bridge was a Darleys pub (close to High rise flats too)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:54:34 am by Donnywolf »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 30, 2013, 07:40:31 am by roversdude »
Thanks guys for joining in
Although its still a pub (?) Beethams has long gone, spent a few hours in there

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 30, 2013, 08:03:44 am by RedRover45 »
I used to work in the Blue Bell on Baxtergate in my youth. Fine pub sadly gone in the 80's. think it lasted a couple more years as a poncy bar called The Garden Bar but in its heyday I loved The Blue Bell.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 30, 2013, 08:09:48 am by RedRover45 »
Speaking of my youth, did anybody else's weekend pub crawl start at the Yorkist. Followed by Blue Bell, Beethams, The Castle, The Woolpack, The George, White Bear, Kings Head, Hallcross, Regents Archives, and finishing in The Saracens before a kebab and a last run to the North Bus Station to catch the last bus, or if we missed it, straight into the Main Line. Those were the days, so many happy memories and also sad ones that a lot of them are no longer around.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 30, 2013, 08:18:00 am by roversdude »
Wow just about route we used take
I used to hate hearing them blow the whistle for buses to go, amount of times I would get to where McDonald's is now and hear the shrill sound of a walk home

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 30, 2013, 08:19:49 am by roversdude »
What was the pub opposite Arndale that was set back bit of a long narrow entrance

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 30, 2013, 08:28:46 am by Donnywolf »
What was the pub opposite Arndale that was set back bit of a long narrow entrance

nAGS hEAD ?

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 30, 2013, 09:20:06 am by Pintolager »
At least two of em (if not three) in Bentley are all boarded up too - The Drum and The Bayhorse(?) I noticed on passing through the other day - the other one on that stretch of road is for lease again too!

The Bay Horse re-opened on Friday, but I have heard that the Drum will be knocked down, but that is just a rumour. Bentley used to be great for a pub crawl back in the day, but has gone the same way as lots of places with closures.

good companions been closed a while, now flats  :(

The Druids has reopened though I noticed last week.

It has indeed Rob, now called "Adey's Bar ;-)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 30, 2013, 09:25:27 am by Mike_F »
That's the one, DW. I believe when it was built it was quite a grand hotel that ended up being converted to shops over the years leaving just the narrow bar. Now a bookies.

If you look up at the architecture you may still be able to see the stone nags' heads marking the original boundary. I haven't done so for a while so I'll have to check next time I'm in town.

It always irks me that there seems to be no control over what sort of tacky signage shops put up below some quite appealing architecture. There really ought to be some sort of planning permission process for shop fronts.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 30, 2013, 09:31:12 am by Mike_F »
I used to drink (and work) in The Sportsman on Armthorpe Rd. Back in the days when Tim Ryan, Sir Francis and a few other Rovers lads were regulars in there. They didn't half put some ale away!

I went in a year or so ago and was really disappointed with what a shithole it's become since the Benbow closed. Sounds snobbish but there were some right "rogues"* in there. The atmosphere was pretty unpleasant to say the least.

*Drug dealing scumbags

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 30, 2013, 10:49:43 am by roversdude »
Thanks DW of course it was

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 30, 2013, 11:33:58 am by podrover73 »
Speaking of my youth, did anybody else's weekend pub crawl start at the Yorkist. Followed by Blue Bell, Beethams, The Castle, The Woolpack, The George, White Bear, Kings Head, Hallcross, Regents Archives, and finishing in The Saracens before a kebab and a last run to the North Bus Station to catch the last bus, or if we missed it, straight into the Main Line. Those were the days, so many happy memories and also sad ones that a lot of them are no longer around.

Used to do pretty much the same crawl except my bus left the Southern Bus station - drivers used to take great pleasure in driving straight past you as you ran to catch the last bus 

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 30, 2013, 12:10:48 pm by ravenrover »
Is the Railway Tavern still on the go in Bentley?
AAHHH the Drum my 1st pub 1966 at 14, gang of us from DVHS used to go in the little snug to the right of the door as you went in on a Wednesday night. Behaved ourselves so the landlord was quite happy. Had a visit from the Constabulary one evening a sergeant and a lady officer, he stood in the doorway looked at us smiled and walked out, we went very quiet!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 30, 2013, 12:27:21 pm by eastender »
I travel through Hexthorpe to work and over the last 15 years or so they have lost.....

The Plant (burnt out shell)
The Rising Sun (Change of use)
Eden grove (Burnt out ,now gone)
Hexthorpe House (Burnt out, now gone)
Langer Lane  WMC (boarded up)

I think the only place left to get a pint in Hexthorpe is The Maltings Gym/Squash Club.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 30, 2013, 12:39:28 pm by Pintolager »
Is the Railway Tavern still on the go in Bentley?

It is raven! Closed down for a few months until new owners took over. Those same owners have also taken over at the Bay Horse too.

Does anyone know if the Ridgewood on Barnsley Road is re-open? I know it closed down a few years ago!

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on July 30, 2013, 12:47:19 pm by Muttley »
And the Magdelene in the Market Place. I heard its a toffee nosed joint now though.

Bob, what do you mean by "toffee nosed"?
I believe The Magdalene is now frequented by the gay community...in which case toffee nosed might be completely appropriate!

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 30, 2013, 01:56:38 pm by niteowler »
Anybody been past the Fox and Hounds at  Wadworth lately looks like a War Zone, nothing but professional vandalism.   Used to be a cracking pub years ago.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on July 30, 2013, 02:22:22 pm by eastender »
Anybody been past the Fox and Hounds at  Wadworth lately looks like a War Zone, nothing but professional vandalism.   Used to be a cracking pub years ago.

They've knocked the extension bit on the side down , but the rest is a listed building so will have to be preserved.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 30, 2013, 02:33:02 pm by eastender »
Balby has lost quite a few in the recent past

The Vine  (Bull Dozed)
 The Prince Of Wales (Change of use)
 The Britannia (Closed)
 The Ashmount WMC (Burnt Out, now gone)
 The Cecil (Change of use)
 British Ropes Social Club (Bull Dozed)
 British Ropes Sports Club (Bull Dozed)

There may be more that i've missed , but quite a few more are on there last legs.  :(

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 30, 2013, 04:15:56 pm by roversdude »
Being a Balby lad we used to try and do the crawl from winning post to town, ah the joys of a lost youth

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 30, 2013, 06:25:12 pm by RedRover45 »
Anyone remember the Underground in Bowers Fold near the market. You went downstairs and if you turned left at the bottom you were ok, but if you turned right and went through a velvet curtain you ended up in the gay part. Had to go in there while you we're still pretty sober lol

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 30, 2013, 06:31:58 pm by ravenrover »
Wasn't that The Silver Link? If it wasn't where was it?
Back in my mind addled youth it was where I used to frequent, passing pieces of Wrigleys in silver foil round just to upset the "undercover" drug squad, and of course who could forget Brew 10

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 30, 2013, 06:37:37 pm by eastender »
Wasn't that The Silver Link? If it wasn't where was it?
Back in my mind addled youth it was where I used to frequent, passing pieces of Wrigleys in silver foil round just to upset the "undercover" drug squad, and of course who could forget Brew 10

Wasn't the Kings head called the Silver Link in the 60's.  :unsure:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 30, 2013, 06:39:06 pm by ravenrover »
Yes I think you are correct

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 30, 2013, 08:36:53 pm by not on facebook »
The Buffalo in Moorends and the Benbow I think in Wheatley are gone too now.

Is uncle arthurs still up and running in moreends?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 30, 2013, 08:38:32 pm by RedJ »
The Buffalo in Moorends and the Benbow I think in Wheatley are gone too now.

Is uncle arthurs still up and running in moreends?
I thin so yep, that's the most popular one now it seems.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 30, 2013, 08:48:41 pm by not on facebook »
The pub near the high rise flats was the fiztwilliam

Yorkist near clock corner i could never understand why that shut down as it allways Seemed packed from my memory.come out Of nags then into the yorkist.

Nags head started to loose money in the till When  the ,local blacks took over that place  in 1980s friday sat and sunday nite,due to fact they was far too Busy dancing Than drinking.

Saracens was the pub for me on rovers matchdays,and during the week there was some reet rum drinkers present.must have Been the roughest pub in town centre,behind the high bar for last orders friday and saturday as every doncaster football hooligan from rovers,Leeds,blades,Owls,man utd,Liverpool,everton
Would end up on there.

There was allways a punch ups as chucking out time was Been carrier out,some Been massive and in the main donnywhites v ddr lads

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 30, 2013, 09:04:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Anyone remember the Underground in Bowers Fold near the market. You went downstairs and if you turned left at the bottom you were ok, but if you turned right and went through a velvet curtain you ended up in the gay part. Had to go in there while you we're still pretty sober lol

I remember the Underground well and always turned at the bottom (left that is). It changed its name to Wellington Vaults. Whatever happened to him ? Not seen on here for a while that I have noticed anyway

The Silver Link originally named after the A4 Loco (Mallard type) in Bradford Row that did become the Kings Head

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:07:57 pm by Donnywolf »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012