Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:27:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lost pubs  (Read 29782 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Lost pubs
« Reply #60 on July 30, 2013, 09:15:18 pm by roversdude »
In less politically correct times going to underground for a ruck was a bit of a sport on a Saturday night

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 30, 2013, 09:42:51 pm by Savvy »
What was that pub called, years ago, up by the high rise flats just south of the railway station? Used to sell Darleys. Whether you liked Darley's or not, it's always good to have some variety. And the Corner Pin better not be gone. I shall personally nuke Donny if that ever closes. And the Magdelene in the Market Place. I heard its a toffee nosed joint now though. Used to be a shit hole of the highest order. Shit literally (and I do mean that) running on the floor in the bogs. But the beer... Oh that Tetleys. It was sublime. IanH can tell you all about that. Last port of call it was on many a Saturday night.

Is the Turf Tavern still there? My first ever regular watering hole. Brendan and Peter K used to drink on there too. Can't think why i used to go there!

Cheers

BobG

The pub you are referring to was called the Vine Bob! Prince of Wales now gone, as is the Ashmount Club!!!!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 30, 2013, 09:53:08 pm by not on facebook »
Quote from: RedRover45 link=topic=241044.msg361146#msg361146
date=1375205112
Anyone remember the Underground in Bowers Fold near the market. You went downstairs and if you
turned left at the bottom you were ok, but if you turned right and went through a velvet curtain you ended up in the gay part. Had to go in there while you we're still pretty sober lol

Wellingtonvaults,used drink with the said donnywhite
Round town week in week out some 25 years ago

I remember the Underground well and always turned at
the bottom (left that is). It changed its name to Wellington Vaults. Whatever happened to him ? Not seen on here for a while that I have noticed anyway

The Silver Link originally named after the A4 Loco (Mallard type) in Bradford Row that did become the Kings Head

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 30, 2013, 11:38:40 pm by BobG »
Thanks everyone. What a cracking thread. If anyone knows IanH, get him to take a look. He was a connoisseur of Donny pubs in the 70's.

Used to quite like the Wheatley Hotel too. Did nice pint of draught shandy for when I was driving! Who ever sees draught shandy these days?

And yes, I did venture into the Underground once. And through the velvet curtain too.... A long standing mate from school told me and another mate one evening hat he wanted to take us out. He took us there! And then he announced he was a nine bob note. Christ on a bike! But actually, the guys in there seemed pretty pleasant. The mate and I just had to make sure we stood with our backs against a wall.

Cheers

BobG

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 31, 2013, 03:37:23 am by roversdude »
Thanks again for contributing to this guys
Whilst driving back from taking my little lad swimming at Dearne Valley couldn't help but notice how many pubs have gone around Denaby/Conisbrough - Denaby Hotel, Station and the one on Sheffield Road next to traffic lights ?

Rockingham  on Bennethorpe has also gone, shame we used to sneak in there when at school

Anyone remember the Polish club near the market, upstairs used to be a cracking rock place

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 31, 2013, 06:24:24 am by Donnywolf »
Polonia Polski Club

I used to follow Bitter Suite here there and everywhere and the were once booked to play there right on the corner of NH Road The room was small to say the least and in the end they decided not to play

I did see them play at Rockware Club once and even that was tight. Baz the Lead Singers first comment was "Hi and welcome to our front Room " and pointing to the floor he said "there is a beer mat down here if anyone fancies a dance !"

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on July 31, 2013, 08:44:37 am by roversdude »
Remember them DW always tipped to make it but never quite got the break, did they fragment into others bands?

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 31, 2013, 10:18:15 am by Yargo »
Remember them DW always tipped to make it but never quite got the break, did they fragment into others bands?
John Parr?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 31, 2013, 08:01:09 pm by Donnywolf »

Yes a strange tale as far as I recall

Bitter Suite were a regular possibly resident Group on Terry Wogan Show on Radio One when he was but a lad (hard to imagine but it happens to us all) and they were about a 7 piece Band with a Brass section .... So Radio One regulars

Then they moved into TV and were on a Prog called "Lift off with Ayesha" which was mainly aimed at Kids and featured amongst other characters "Ollie Beak" a talking Owl ! It was in this period I remember them releasing a Single (for there were NO Downloads in those days don't yer know) called Goodbye America. The Band was down to a 4 or maybe 5 piece by then and they all wore huge White Hats about a foot tall and white Suits which may have been coloured with Stars and Stripes

Then they "came home" to South Yorkshire and played Clubs and Pubs here, there and everywhere for years and they were a brilliant cover Band playing Rock numbers incredibly well and as far away from Goodbye America as they could get

They "signed" John Parr and he was fantastic to watch and with the Lead Singer Baz performing during each song they were well worth watching and as I said earlier there were hordes of people who followed them around and you would see the same people in Rosso Edlo Thorne Stainy Mexbro etc etc

There is still a Web Site which comes up if you search for Bitter Suite but I cant believe Baz is still at it !

You may find Goodbye America by searching You Tube and also Lift off With Ayesha may attreact a few comments from "older" gentlemen on here

Cheers DW

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on July 31, 2013, 08:15:31 pm by Donnywolf »
That did not take long

Bitter Suite performing Goodbye America as a 5 piece Check out Baz Marshall and I was right about the Suits being trimmed with Stars and Stripes

Can someone who knows how to do t please embed the YouTube directly below please

I have added a more up to date photo of BS and checked out Ayesha too and she looks like I remember her (wow) and Ollie Beak does too. (Saddo)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdE9pt7mN4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdE9pt7mN4</a>

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:55:09 pm by Filo »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 31, 2013, 09:21:17 pm by roversdude »
Cheers DW saw them quite a few times, they seemed to have been about for ever
Just shows what can happen with a few breaks

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 31, 2013, 11:22:39 pm by RedRover45 »
I remember the name but never saw them. Worryingly I remember Ollie Beak as well.

Anyone remember a band called Limelight who played all the Donny clubs round about the same time, played the Yarborough regularly. Brilliant three piece band containing two brothers.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on August 01, 2013, 09:11:25 am by Donnywolf »
I remember the name but never saw them. Worryingly I remember Ollie Beak as well.

Anyone remember a band called Limelight who played all the Donny clubs round about the same time, played the Yarborough regularly. Brilliant three piece band containing two brothers.

Yes ... they too were fantastic

Also New Jersey Turnpike were tremendous too and were a sort of Supergroup taking a member from each of 3 or 4 local Bands

Not sure if John Parr went to them before hitting the big time

(perhaps we need a new Old Bands thread now)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 01, 2013, 07:33:58 pm by roversdude »
The gents were quite good too
Back to pubs, although not so much gone but vastly changed
Nielsen
Cleveland
As mentioned before Saracens
Spent loads of time in Castle as you were never questioned about your age

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 01, 2013, 10:35:50 pm by BobG »
I just saw the Rockingham has gone!!! What???? That place is an institution. Decent beer (well, it used to be anyway), old Billy Renshaw propping up the bar with his wife in tow. He used to be one of my junior school teachers at Beechfield.(A rieght hard bugger too) but in an earlier life he had played on the wing for the Rovers. Always got on the pool table ok. Good crowd in before and after Rovers matches. I made some good friends in there. And pulled one night too. If the Rock has gone, I'm not coming back.

BobG

PS WTF is/was Neilsen's? I never heard of it!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 02, 2013, 05:57:19 am by roversdude »
Sorry Bob should have read Nelsons

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 02, 2013, 09:27:22 am by not on facebook »
Never went in the little plough in my Youth,but Its allways my first port Of call whenever i land back in pubcaster.

It will be a cold day in hell if that pub should ever have to shut up shop.

When rod had the place it was best pint in town,hope the new landlord has same standards

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 02, 2013, 10:13:56 am by Donnywolf »
I can reassure you that the Little Plough is indeed alive and well and has a Landlord (or Landlady) that clearly knows how to keep Beer !

I regularly visit there and typically they have 4 or 6 real ales and I had 2 lovely pints of Barnsley Bitter (Acorn Brewery) and would give them 10 out of 10 ! £2.20 each as well

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 02, 2013, 12:38:26 pm by roversdude »
We're stories of a secret knock to get in ever true

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 02, 2013, 12:55:03 pm by Muttley »
Never went in the little plough in my Youth,but Its allways my first port Of call whenever i land back in pubcaster.

When rod had the place it was best pint in town,hope the new landlord has same standards

Oslo - you probably know the landlord of the Plough - Nick Griffin (not that one!) used to work at the Nelson and is a pal of Haigy from Edlo

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 02, 2013, 05:22:33 pm by Ian H »
A terrible thread - reminding me of my misspent youth - Oslo,The Fitz was a Stones/Bass pub - The "Taps" is Sam Smiths - The Vine was Darleys - before it closed it became a home for the gay community, who moved to the Prince of Wales when the Vine closed it's doors and the now enjoy the hospitality of Crystals (which was the Magdalene) next to the Masons.

The Underground was a fun pub (both left and right - shit beer though) - We did have a time when we travelled to all bars in the Market Place - and included the aforementioned Beethams & Blue Bell - The Yorkist, The Nags and many others - even the Black Bull when Alick had it.

Bob - you may not be aware that The Queens on the corner of the market place next to The Masons is now a Polish Restaurant.

The Plough does still do good beer - I'm looking forward to trying the Marston pub on Wheatley Hall Road (this weekend)

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 02, 2013, 05:28:57 pm by eastender »
I just saw the Rockingham has gone!!! What???? That place is an institution. Decent beer (well, it used to be anyway), old Billy Renshaw propping up the bar with his wife in tow. He used to be one of my junior school teachers at Beechfield.(A rieght hard bugger too) but in an earlier life he had played on the wing for the Rovers. Always got on the pool table ok. Good crowd in before and after Rovers matches. I made some good friends in there. And pulled one night too. If the Rock has gone, I'm not coming back.

BobG

PS WTF is/was Neilsen's? I never heard of it!

The Rock is being turned into 23 Flats.   :(

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 02, 2013, 08:04:29 pm by Sprotyrover »
Frank Westwood had the little plough for donkeys years the door was locked at night and you had to give it a rat at tat to get in.it was a Bass house but Frank kept it lovely,Frank sold it to Rod.
Anyone remember the three legs ,Elephant hotel and beehive?
I can remember them as a kid in the 60's.
By the way Ollie had a Pal called Fred he was a dog.
I had a copy of their annual Ollie and Fred's fun book,it was entertaining  ! But ten again I was only Seven.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:08:59 pm by Sprotyrover »

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 02, 2013, 08:24:38 pm by Ian H »
The Three Legs became The Yorkist - The Elephant Hotel was before I was old enough to drink - it used to be opposite Hodgson & Hepworth which was where Clas Ohlson is now.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 03, 2013, 07:32:29 am by roversdude »
Can just remember Hodgson and Hepworths, recall the smell of coffee and seeing them grind it

ad1982

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 03, 2013, 08:45:04 am by ad1982 »
Newton is closing soon. And there's rumours that the Ivanhoe is to be turned into flats. Doesn't bode well for drinking in Sprotbrough!

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 03, 2013, 09:36:46 am by knockers »
Golden Fleece at the bottom of Beckett road has been flattened in the last couple of months.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 03, 2013, 09:40:53 am by Sprotyrover »
I would have thought the Ivanhoe would be thriving. Sam smiths house always busy. Unless Humphrey Smith has other ideas. Then again SAMs own 50 pubs in the square mile of London so I don't think they need to sell the Ivanhoe to raise cash.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 03, 2013, 09:43:32 am by knockers »

It also had the best football team in town with Muttley being the original Rob Jones.   

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 03, 2013, 09:49:17 am by jonnydog »
Not necessarily a pub per say, and dunno if it's been mentioned on here yet, but the drinking hole that I really do miss and will miss again at 1:30pm today is The Toad opposite the Keepmoat.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012