Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:35:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 25789 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on August 16, 2015, 12:32:18 pm by RedJ »
I'm on 8.1

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 16, 2015, 01:25:19 pm by Nudga »
I haven't got a f**kin clue what you're all on about.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 16, 2015, 01:43:11 pm by albie »
Give Windows the heave ho, and install a Linux system.

Best one for you depends on how old your computer is. Lots to choose from, but best to stick to something which has lots of users/support.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are popular with many, Lubuntu and Linux Lite if you have an older PC.
You can install them alongside your current Windows, if you want to keep your old system as well.

Go to Distrowatch.com, which contains reviews and links.
Download the choice as an iso file, then burn it to a blank CD or DVD.
Insert the CD/DVD, and boot into it from your Bios. Magic key on mine is F2 when the screen first loads.
Follow the instructions when it loads.

Simple enough really. Linux does not really get malware like Windows does, it is much more secure to use.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux

Its FREE as well.

You can add various bells and whistles to suit, but don't need to have stuff on there you never use. Its like putting apps on a mobile.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:56:48 pm by albie »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 16, 2015, 07:19:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'm on 8.1

If it's a hookey version, it won't give you the option. If it's a genuine version, contact Microsoft.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 16, 2015, 09:22:29 pm by RobTheRover »
RedJ - you need to ensure you have installed all the Windows Updates.  If you have windows update not set to "automatic updates" then you could have a few outstanding.  The W10 logo should then appear down in the tooltray (bottom right near the clock).  You could try clicking the little up arrow near there if there is one - it could just be the W10 app notification is in the hidden list.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 16, 2015, 10:27:09 pm by RedJ »
I'm on 8.1

If it's a hookey version, it won't give you the option. If it's a genuine version, contact Microsoft.

Definitely a genuine version.

RedJ - you need to ensure you have installed all the Windows Updates.  If you have windows update not set to "automatic updates" then you could have a few outstanding.  The W10 logo should then appear down in the tooltray (bottom right near the clock).  You could try clicking the little up arrow near there if there is one - it could just be the W10 app notification is in the hidden list.

Had a play about with some of the settings as the updates screen wasn't working at all and I've found a load that hadn't installed for whatever reason. Hopefully after that it'll let me upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:20:07 pm by RedJ »

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 17, 2015, 12:00:22 pm by Rios »
Give Windows the heave ho, and install a Linux system.

Best one for you depends on how old your computer is. Lots to choose from, but best to stick to something which has lots of users/support.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are popular with many, Lubuntu and Linux Lite if you have an older PC.
You can install them alongside your current Windows, if you want to keep your old system as well.

Go to Distrowatch.com, which contains reviews and links.
Download the choice as an iso file, then burn it to a blank CD or DVD.
Insert the CD/DVD, and boot into it from your Bios. Magic key on mine is F2 when the screen first loads.
Follow the instructions when it loads.

Simple enough really. Linux does not really get malware like Windows does, it is much more secure to use.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux

Its FREE as well.

You can add various bells and whistles to suit, but don't need to have stuff on there you never use. Its like putting apps on a mobile.

As someone who's used Linux for ten years, Ubuntu and Linux Mint at home, as well as Centos at work I'd be all over Linux... in fact my laptop at home has Mint on it which I use everyday and it can do everything and more than my work Windows 10 laptop.  But installing a new OS onto something is beyond the capabilities of most people who don't care about the differences between Bios and Uefi or how to dual boot or that installing an LTS version is the best way to go.  Until manufacturers start pre-installing Linux on devices (like the Dell XPS13) it will never be of interest to ordinary people.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 17, 2015, 01:01:38 pm by RobTheRover »
Very true, and a shame, Rios.

I like Linux.  I've used quite a few of the distros, such as Ubuntu, Mint and SUSE, and you are right about the pre-installed issue.  Microsoft clearly never saw Linux as a genuine contender for their market share, but Android has scared them witless, particularly in the tablet market space, hence the change last year to give away W8.1 licenses to manufacturers instead of charging them for the software.  This has meant that the savings have been passed on to consumers with very basic (but still serviceable) W8.1 laptops now being available from about £150 brand new.  W10 , and its common platform across PC, laptop, tablet and phone, coupled with its "giveaway" offer should see Microsoft cement its position at the head of the pack for another 5 years at lease.  It must be absolutely galling for the dedicated groups of people who are part of the Linux community that their hard work doesnt reach an audience beyond a few % of all PC users.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 17, 2015, 02:38:39 pm by Rios »
It's only galling for the likes of Shuttleworth at Canonical, who sees himself as an open-source Steve Jobs, bringing Linux to the masses (and then jumps into bed with Amazon completely destroying any community credibility he had!)  Microsoft were scared enough, especially when netbooks starting coming out with Linux pre-installed as Vista wouldn't run on them, to push through the EUFI spec and make Linux installation on roday's computers as difficult as possible without ending up in court.

Linux desktop users (myself included) actually quite like that normal people don't use it.  It's market share of 1% means there's no malware or viruses to speak of and a certain technical snobbery that goes along with that.

It's in the server and mobile space that Linux has really cleaned up.  The vast majority of super computers are now Linux based.  81% of mobile phones use Android.  Microsoft has a paltry 11% share of the webserver market, the rest being made up of various Linux solutions (Apache, ngix, google, etc).  Apple and Android have shown that users aren't actually that bothered about all their devices running the same desktops.  iPad sales certainly haven't converted everyone to Mac's and Windows 10 won't convert people to Win10 tablets either.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 17, 2015, 05:05:04 pm by RedJ »
Still not having it. There's obviously something I've not done but Christ knows what.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 17, 2015, 05:38:49 pm by Muttley »
Still not having it. There's obviously something I've not done but Christ knows what.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 17, 2015, 06:31:42 pm by RobTheRover »

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 17, 2015, 07:35:16 pm by albie »
I agree with people about the pre-installed issue with Linux.

My post was aimed at folk still using using XP or Vista, who do not get the free upgrade to Windows 10 for some reason. Just to make people aware that there are alternatives before paying more money to Bill Gates.

If you are going to splash out over £100 plus to upgrade, then you could get your computer shop to put Linux on for you for less than that.

I did it myself, after watching a how-to video on YouTube, and was surprised how easy it was these days. I agree that people who get put off by techy stuff might find it too much, but once you get sorted I think it kicks ass compared to bloated crap like Vista.

Anyway, good luck to those taking the Windows challenge.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 17, 2015, 07:36:23 pm by RedJ »
Done all the updates, tried the thing you have to post into notepad but the command prompt tells me it "cannot open" several lines of text.

Also telling me it can't find batch label specified CompatCheckRunning.

Take it that's bad news then?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 17, 2015, 08:14:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
You could try contacting Computer Active magazine, they might know what's going on if they've received similar stories..? They might have a forum or website you could check...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 17, 2015, 08:19:41 pm by RedJ »
I'll have a look, cheers.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 17, 2015, 08:56:53 pm by RedJ »
For anyone having issues doing this, try this.

Got to the stage of downloading Windows 10 on the tool, so hopefully it'll work out...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 17, 2015, 10:02:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
If it still thinks you haven't got a genuine version of Windows already it'll try to charge you to authorise it.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 23, 2015, 03:23:56 pm by bobjimwilly »
would those that have upgraded recommend upgrading to anyone else on 7 or 8.1?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on August 23, 2015, 05:33:22 pm by Muttley »
Generally yes, only problem I've got is that it doesn't recognise my trackpad driver unless I uninstall it then re-start, then it's fine until W10 installs another update and I have to go through the process all over again.

Hopefully at some point they'll fix this glitch.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 23, 2015, 08:40:24 pm by Donnywolf »
Generally yes, only problem I've got is that it doesn't recognise my trackpad driver unless I uninstall it then re-start, then it's fine until W10 installs another update and I have to go through the process all over again.

Hopefully at some point they'll fix this glitch.

Hi Muttley - If you read my OP I suspect you will understand why I am asking " what the hell is trackpad driver please ?"

I have already backed up my files and made a mirror image of my system by following the instructions on CNET and so have edged closer to actually moving to W10 ....BUT ... CNET says it has easy to follow steps 1-9 but all I can find to work with are Steps 1 to 5 - so where are the other 4

Strangely Drivers are an issue getting mentioned on every "advice" Site and I have no idea how to make sure I am ready to press the download W10 NOW button

So I am still thinking f*** it - if it aint broke don't fix it 

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 23, 2015, 09:20:23 pm by Muttley »
A trackpad is the pointing device situated in front of the keybowrd on a laptop that does the same job as a mouse.

A "driver" is a bit of software that enables the various pieces of equipment (eg mouse, keyboard, printer etc) attached to your computer to actually work with your computer.

The issue I have got sems to be limited to the specific trackpad installed on my model of laptop, so probably won't affect you.

Ultimately, you should upgrade to W10 in the 1 year window when it is free as Microsoft will cease to support previous versions of Windows which will lead to them being vulnerable to viruses etc, but if you're a bit nervous it may be worth you waiting a few months to allow Microsoft to iron out the minor issues.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 23, 2015, 10:14:27 pm by Donnywolf »
Thanks for that .. a Trackpad ... now I know !

I will hold off installation for a while till I am confident enough to do it or find an absolutely foolproof guide - so like a Rovers goal from open play it could take a while  :scarf:

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 24, 2015, 05:23:03 pm by albie »
There is a "How To" guide here, for those still having trouble;
How to Install Windows 10 on Your PC

Someone told me they wanted you to pay extra to watch DVD's, which is cheeky if it is true. I bet they have found a way to enter your wallet by the backdoor.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 24, 2015, 10:17:41 pm by BobG »
Ok. I've read this thread all the way through. But I thinK I need slightly different advice. I'm still on XP. I know that's dangerous and going to be more so. But I don't really want to pay for a new OS from MS - especially as it is clear it's taking spying to a whole new level. So, for a guy who uses t'internet via Firefox, Word, Excel and email via Thunderbird and watches Rovers videos on VLC what OS would be the right one to go for - bearing in mind I really am a numpty about installing all this stuff.

Many thanks everybody

BobG

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 24, 2015, 11:30:12 pm by albie »
Bob G,

With Linux, it depends on how old your hardware is.
The BEST Replacement For Windows XP - YouTube
With each new edition, some small changes to the process are introduced.

I put Linux Lite on an old Toshiba laptop from 2004 ish, which came with XP, and it runs well.

Linux Lite Easy to Use Free Linux Operating System

Check if your computer is running a 32 or 64 bit system. If you have had it from before about 2007 it is likely 32.

You can check out if your hardware is compatible under "settings" from the menu on their site.
The new upgrade for Linux Lite comes out on Sept 1, so try it after that date.

Linux Lite has good info back-up through the forum and an excellent help manual.

You download the system as a .iso file, then need to burn the image to a blank DVD. Loads of how to vids on YouTube.

Another good alternative is Lubuntu;
lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

If you think it is too much to do yourself, a competent computer shop should do it in under an hour.
At £25 an hour, still decent value for money.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:39:43 pm by albie »

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 24, 2015, 11:52:35 pm by Dagenham Rover »
as I said earlier Bob you would be amazed what business systems still run XP

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 26, 2015, 07:14:21 am by Donnywolf »
There is a "How To" guide here, for those still having trouble;
How to Install Windows 10 on Your PC

Someone told me they wanted you to pay extra to watch DVD's, which is cheeky if it is true. I bet they have found a way to enter your wallet by the backdoor.

Hi Albie

Yes I found that one but what I really need is a similar thing telling me (in terms I can understand as a Techno dunce) what to do BEFORE starting to download Windows 10

Using CNET Site I have copied every file I have - then did a "mirror image" of my Computer to an external drive ... then I ran out of things to do.

CNET says there are 9 things I SHOULD do but they list only 1 to 5 (of 9) and I cant find a continuation page . So I am still wondering what the other 4 things are and have not yet found if there are indeed 9 things or more as other Sites are not as good as CNET seemed it was going to be

Cheers DW

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 26, 2015, 07:44:42 am by Muttley »
To be honest if you have done a complete back-up of your computer, I'm not sure what else you would need to do. If it goes horrendously wrong (highly unlikely), you've got a back-up you can restore.

I didn't bother doing any back-up (although I've nothing of any value stored on my laptop),  just hit the update button and I haven't had any issues.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 26, 2015, 12:57:41 pm by RobTheRover »
I've upgraded 3 of mine now.

Lenovo core i5 laptop - problem with the screen brightness control.  Trying to change the brightness caused it to  lock on to minimum brightness and wouldnt change.  I had to roll out the graphics driver and install an older one.  now working.  Lenovo presumably to issue a new graphics driver.

Linx 10 windows tablet - no problems at all.  everything works.

Samsung core i3 laptop - 2 finger scroll not working in core microsoft apps (but 3rd party apps like firefox and opera work fine). a new win10 trackpad driver has been released, so I'll try that sometime.

Overall, nothing major has gone wrong, just a few teething troubles.  To be fair, its only a few weeks "in the wild" so these issues will get ironed out as the OS matures.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012