Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:10:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 25790 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #90 on November 25, 2015, 12:08:58 pm by Donnywolf »
"They" are inundating me at the moment

Every time I turn on / log on etc do I get anther advert saying "get it now" basically before it ceases to be free ! Well I have seen it will be free for ages

Also they are now saying "your files will be right there" once you have changed to 10 as well as a few other promises BUT where will they be if the thing does go t**s up ? Yeah nowhere to be found

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on November 30, 2015, 08:26:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Still at it ... every time I turn on it says Windows 10 Get it now or Update later

I thought OK I will say Update later and they will leave me alone for a Month or so !

WRONG it immediately started to download presumably to keep it "in the background" till "later". Is there a way to get rid of it for a bit of peace OTHER than actually downloading the bloody thing ?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on November 30, 2015, 09:21:36 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Don't know, but you are right thinking its just going to download and hide in the background till it totally pisses you off with the reminders until you agree to update :)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on December 01, 2015, 08:26:42 am by Donnywolf »
Don't know, but you are right thinking its just going to download and hide in the background till it totally pisses you off with the reminders until you agree to update :)

I was not bothered about changing as I said in my first pots. I would not gain anything really - and balanced that v the possible "why did I f*** with it" factor .... but now I am desperate NOT to change just because I know "they" are out to get me (everyone) swapped over.

It is really annoying now though with every opening of the PC and any seemingly random "button" bringing up the dreaded advert !

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 01, 2015, 09:02:26 pm by albie »
This might be what you need, Donny Wolf;
How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically

The series of articles on Windows 10 in "How to Geek" is worth a look;
windows10 Articles - How-To Geek

Best of luck.
Linux is still here, you can install it alongside Windows to try out if you want.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on December 02, 2015, 11:37:26 am by Donnywolf »
Many thanks again Albie ... will have a serious look at a way to block it now although I suspect it is already lurking on my Hard Drive somewhere !

Luckily HD is 750GB so I probably wont miss 3gb !

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on December 02, 2015, 01:26:59 pm by RobTheRover »
"They" are inundating me at the moment

Every time I turn on / log on etc do I get anther advert saying "get it now" basically before it ceases to be free ! Well I have seen it will be free for ages

Also they are now saying "your files will be right there" once you have changed to 10 as well as a few other promises BUT where will they be if the thing does go t**s up ? Yeah nowhere to be found

Actually, your files might not be there!

I ran (or rather it just ran itself!) the 1511 upgrade to Windows 10 the other evening.  I had been working on a document from work and was saving it directly to USB drive.  When the machine finished up installing the upgrade I couldnt open the document I'd been working on any more.  It says it is corrupted.  All other Word docx's open up fine.

Stuff you, Microsoft!

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on December 02, 2015, 10:54:02 pm by DaveDRFC »
Windows 10 seems to have sorted itself out for me now. After a few updates it is running fine, it was slow as a dog when I first upgraded. It's definitely not as good as Windows 7 though which we still use at work. Better than Windows 8, obviously that's not saying much.

Still, could be worse. I could have a Mac.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on December 14, 2015, 11:51:52 am by silent majority »
Windows 10? Unmountable boot error seems to be very common and pretty much terminal for my current PC. The online answers don't help much if at all.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on December 14, 2015, 05:24:32 pm by turnbull for england »
The wife upgraded ours, takes longer to start now than a valve television

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on December 15, 2015, 03:54:12 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Since it came out in July, I've 'upgraded' (upgraded used loosely) to Windows 10 twice, and now decided to stick with 8.1 for now.

I love the Windows 10 layout and features, but I've had the "blue screen of death" too often. Basically, the PC restarts automatically with no warning or prompt.

It also seems to be slower, I disabled Cortana as I found that it slowed my PC down. But it's still slower than 8.1 for me.

I think that PCs and laptops that already have Windows 10 installed are fine. But there are still many bugs that need fixing for PCs that are upgrading from 7/8/8.1.

I'll try it again closer to the end of the free upgrade time. But for now I found it's not worth the hassle.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on December 16, 2015, 06:58:02 pm by silent majority »
Adam3rovers,

That's how mine started, for some reason it suddenly found faults that weren't there with Windows 7 and then one day last week wouldn't start at all. I'm in a permanent repair loop with no alternatives!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on December 16, 2015, 10:44:10 pm by BobG »
My XP, on the other hand, is working fine :):):)

ha ha . I know it won't last. I'm going to go over to the dark side when I get a mo. I'm not having that sodding Cortana shit if it was the last software left on the planet.

BobG

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 17, 2015, 08:57:54 am by Donnywolf »
I have been trying to stop the Pop up reminders and have found this "disable" Windows 10 Software

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Anyone used it - because it looks really easy when you play the Youtube demo and if I can stop the Pop ups and stick to 8.1 for the next year or so I would be satisfied !

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 17, 2015, 09:56:58 am by Rios »
Unless you're having problems upgrading, sticking with Windows 8 doesn't make sense.  Windows 10 is to Windows 8 what Windows 7 is to Vista.  There's merit to staying with 7, especially in the business world.  But they're highly likely to pull 8's updates early like they've done with Vista, which lost a lot of it's updates even before XP's stopped!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on December 17, 2015, 02:59:09 pm by Mike_F »
So if I stick with Win8 it might stop installing a load of bloody updates every time I want to shut my laptop down? Surely that's a blessing!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 18, 2015, 07:16:40 pm by albie »
For those still struggling with Windblows 10, and the lust for control of Microsoft, this might be useful;
Two Windows 10 tools to block automatic updates - gHacks Tech News

As I don't use it mesen, I can't give a recommendation.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on June 28, 2016, 01:45:29 pm by albie »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on June 29, 2016, 01:15:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I'm on windows 7, it says ''Soon you will stop receiving updates as we no longer support windows 7''. I have the windows 10 there ready to upgrade to. I did try it but it said something about my system not being compatible. Mine is a pretty old system so it might be a case of saving the money to get a new one.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 29, 2016, 07:13:01 am by Donnywolf »
I am getting the Posts now saying the last chance to update for Free will be July 29 - so Do it NOW it says

I am not going to and hope things settle down after that - and though my current PC is really misbehaving, freezing and having to be rebooted I am sure that is not beyond the "wit" of someone to knobble it to encourage the user to switch. We will see

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on June 29, 2016, 09:10:47 am by Rios »
I'm on windows 7, it says ''Soon you will stop receiving updates as we no longer support windows 7''. I have the windows 10 there ready to upgrade to. I did try it but it said something about my system not being compatible. Mine is a pretty old system so it might be a case of saving the money to get a new one.

Windows 7 will receive security updates until 2020.  If your PC is already old and you're likely to replace it (with a Win10 PC) before 2020 then I'd just stick with what you've got.  Microsoft aren't pushing out Win7 update notifications as far as I'm aware, so I'd hazard a guess that you've got a bit of software on your PC that won't be compatible with Win7 going forward or you've got a bit of malware/virus which is trying to click-bait you.  If it's the former it just means it will stick at the version it's at, which generally isn't a problem for most people.  If it's the latter I'd advise downloading Malwarebytes and scan your PC.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on June 29, 2016, 09:12:44 am by Rios »
I am getting the Posts now saying the last chance to update for Free will be July 29 - so Do it NOW it says

I am not going to and hope things settle down after that - and though my current PC is really misbehaving, freezing and having to be rebooted I am sure that is not beyond the "wit" of someone to knobble it to encourage the user to switch. We will see

The notifications will stop after that and the annoying bit of software (the little white squares in your task bar) will be removed automatically... maybe.  To upgrade after July 29th will be £100.

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on June 29, 2016, 09:25:48 am by DevilMayCry »
If you pc/laptop is newer (from 2013) you should upgrade to windows 10. I use windows 10 since they launched it, july 2015, and I don't have any problems with it, works great at games, doesn't use so many resources from pc like older version of windows.

But if you pc/laptop is older than 2013 you shouldn't upgrade. Even windows 10 doesn't use so many resources, he needs pc/laptops from newer generation.

The good things about upgrading from windows updates is than the license key from windows 10 will remain in your computer motherboard, so if you'll install windows 10 again in future, the license key will be installed automatically.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #113 on June 29, 2016, 09:52:01 pm by GM-MarkB »
Slight tangent...I didn't realise DCS on Copley Road had shut down. So where now is the best place for bits ??

I need a Hard Drive Caddy. I would consider E-Bay but i want to make sure I get the right one, so i'd be taking the hard drive with me to the shop to make sure.

Any suggestions

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on June 30, 2016, 09:59:29 am by bobbymax »
I consider myself quite computer savvy but got well and truly conned upgrading to Windows 10.
Don't get me wrong, it has some good points but it's caused me no end of hassle, business-wise, doing things like uninstalling printers, deleting passwords and wiping address books - it even overrides update instructions if it feels like it.
Some apps are absolutely hopeless, the Mail one won't configure and Cortana is just annoying. The system has been launched without thorough testing and is still pretty unstable so my advice would be to leave well alone at present and keep using 7 or 8 as long as Microsoft is still offering support.
NB If you've already installed 10, get hold of the back issues of the magazine Computer Active from when 10 was launched - it's been invaluable in helping a comparative layman like me sort out a lot of what's wrong with the new system.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on July 05, 2016, 07:48:07 am by Rios »
Slight tangent...I didn't realise DCS on Copley Road had shut down. So where now is the best place for bits ??

I need a Hard Drive Caddy. I would consider E-Bay but i want to make sure I get the right one, so i'd be taking the hard drive with me to the shop to make sure.

Any suggestions

Crikey I remember using DCS when I lived in Donny back in the day... once went to them and asked if they did business accounts as we had a quarter of a million quid to spend and they refused.

You'd be better using Aria, eBuyer or Scan.  Aria and Scan have stores but they're in the Manchester area.  I think eBuyer are in Goole but not sure if they have a shop front.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on July 05, 2016, 08:42:10 am by idler »
CCL on the outskirts of Bradford are very good. They have an excellent technical department . Give them a ring telling them what you want and they would post it out that day. Alternatively leave the M62 at the M621 junction and take the Bradford road. They are about three to four miles on at Tong just before you go into Bradford proper.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012