Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:19:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Labour policies  (Read 34840 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Labour policies
« Reply #30 on September 16, 2019, 03:54:03 pm by SydneyRover »
Exactly, chances of ppl accepting it 0% since everyone on here wants others to pay for everything

I must have missed that poll LDR, but if you are correct and no one wants that it's not a very good idea to put up?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 16, 2019, 04:25:57 pm by Ldr »
The point is surely it's the fairest way

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 16, 2019, 04:28:04 pm by SydneyRover »
According to whom?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 16, 2019, 04:29:20 pm by Ldr »
Logic dictates everyone paying the same % is fairer than some paying more

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 16, 2019, 04:30:29 pm by SydneyRover »

Only if you don't give a rats about those on lower wages

Added: and what follows those that don't have kids don't contribute to the education budget, young people that don't get sick as much as older people don't pay their insurance stamp? this is not a well thought out idea is it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:34:12 pm by SydneyRover »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 16, 2019, 04:33:58 pm by Ldr »
So you saying equality of % is not fair?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 16, 2019, 04:35:23 pm by SydneyRover »
So you saying equality of % is not fair?

I never mentioned fair you did read my addition above, I talking about the real world with real people

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 16, 2019, 04:37:19 pm by Ldr »
That's a bit disingenuous editing your reply after I respond and then questioning whether I read it dont you think?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 16, 2019, 04:39:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Back in the good old days fire brigades were private and you had to pay a subscription so when people mainly lived in wooden houses a fire brigade as they were then could pass a burning house to get to the one on fire that paid. Is this the Trumpian world you would like to live in where the user pays.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 16, 2019, 04:40:50 pm by Ldr »
What the f**k are you on about? I raised a point about fairness in taxes

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 16, 2019, 04:47:02 pm by SydneyRover »
What the f**k are you on about? I raised a point about fairness in taxes
And I countered your idea with what happens when people start to think about looking after themselves and looking at what is best that suits themselves and not the greater good, my point is, where would it stop, you obviously don't want to pay a cent more tax than necessary but not all people think as you do and the reward is that Britain is generally a place where people want to live, some very rich people I might add. If you don't look after the poorest in your society who will?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 16, 2019, 05:01:40 pm by Ldr »
Hang on, I suggest that everyone pays the same Is fair, you acknowledge that would mean paying more and now I'm trying to minimise paying? You even contradict yourself

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 16, 2019, 05:12:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Give it up LDR it's like reasoning with a drunk.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 16, 2019, 05:14:14 pm by Ldr »
You know BB, BST, Filo, Glyn and Wilts. I have a differing opinion to them but I respect them all as they will have a discussion with you and answer questions, this guy is just a coward

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 16, 2019, 06:04:00 pm by albie »
Ldr,

I think what Sydney is saying is that you need to raise x amount to pay for public services.

If you reduce the amount higher tax payers contribute, then to stay the same you have to take more from the lower tax payers.

You end up taking a much higher % of the income from ordinary working people, and the wealthy get more from the deal.

Is that fair?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 16, 2019, 06:04:56 pm by RedJ »
Tax laws:90% of all UK tax revenue comes from 10 % of the workforce....I would be very careful who I upset in relation to tax and taxation.you don’t shoot the Golden goose and cook it!

Sproty.

That's so incorrect, it's hard to know where to start. You regularly hear that sort of shite trotted out by right wing politicians and here you are repeating it.

The richest 10% pay about 55% of all income tax. But income tax is only 25% of all the tax the Govt takes.
the top 1 percent pay around 10 percent the top 10 percent around 30 percent I believe, but it’s still a lot and if you try tax them to much I doubt you will achieve the result you wanted
Why's that then?

No response, bpool?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 16, 2019, 06:14:14 pm by Ldr »
Ldr,

I think what Sydney is saying is that you need to raise x amount to pay for public services.

If you reduce the amount higher tax payers contribute, then to stay the same you have to take more from the lower tax payers.

You end up taking a much higher % of the income from ordinary working people, and the wealthy get more from the deal.

Is that fair?

It would certainly be more equitable

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 16, 2019, 06:26:03 pm by albie »
Re privatising rail travel goof idea but cost £50. + Billion.

Sproty,

I am glad you have raised privatisation. I don't recognise the figure you give....where is it from?

To look at it in the round, you need to consider the ongoing COSTS of privatisation as well;
https://weownit.org.uk/blog/waste-privatisation-we-cant-afford

You can link through to the IPPR report from that summary.

Still not clear how Ldr intends to deal with ability to pay....it seems a big deal to me!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:30:14 pm by albie »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 16, 2019, 06:54:28 pm by SydneyRover »
You know BB, BST, Filo, Glyn and Wilts. I have a differing opinion to them but I respect them all as they will have a discussion with you and answer questions, this guy is just a coward

Would you like to explain that in a reasonable manner or go away and sulk like a child?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 16, 2019, 09:33:49 pm by Ldr »
That's where it all falls down BST equitable means the country cannot function without either increasing the tax burden of the less well off or cutting back on services, so a truly fair society is impossible

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 16, 2019, 09:38:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't follow your argument Ldr.

We've had 40 years of the top 10% and in particular the top 1% being allowed to cream off almost all the profits of economic growth.

We can address that by increasing tax on them and forcing them to put back into society what they have taken out.

It's just a matter of will and priorities.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 16, 2019, 09:48:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Recognise the State of Palestine! Then what do we do. Declare war on Israel?

We recognise countries all over the world without the need to fight their wars for them. Do you think its mandatory that we should?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 16, 2019, 09:58:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Tax laws:90% of all UK tax revenue comes from 10 % of the workforce....I would be very careful who I upset in relation to tax and taxation.you don’t shoot the Golden goose and cook it!

What? Only 10% of people pay VAT?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 16, 2019, 10:02:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

And what percentage rate will it have to be to get the same tax revenues?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 16, 2019, 10:02:36 pm by drfchound »

He didn’t say that only 10% of people pay VAT.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 16, 2019, 10:08:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I know. He said 90% of all UK tax revenue comes from 10% of the workforce.

Only 31% of that 'all UK tax revenue' is from Income Tax. 21% of it is from VAT. The rest is from all the other various taxes and duties.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 16, 2019, 10:17:20 pm by drfchound »

Only 31% of that 'all UK tax revenue' is from Income Tax. 21% of it is from VAT. The rest is from all the other various taxes and duties.

I also know what he said but you apparently read it differently, hence your question about only 10% of people paying VAT.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 16, 2019, 10:23:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I also know what he said but you apparently read it differently, hence your question about only 10% of people paying VAT.

Even if the missing 10% of all tax revenue that's missing is accredited to VAT, that still leaves 11% of VAT that Sproty is claiming is only paid for by 10% of the workforce...and that that 10% of the workforce is also paying 100% of every other tax levied in the the country.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 16, 2019, 10:29:04 pm by drfchound »

Even if the missing 10% of all tax revenue that's missing is accredited to VAT, that still leaves 11% of VAT that Sproty is claiming is only paid for by 10% of the workforce...and that that 10% of the workforce is also paying 100% of every other tax levied in the the country.

I am just putting you right on what you clearly had said incorrectly.
I am not interested in the rest of what you have said, even if it is true.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012