Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:44:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Channel crossing record beat.(again and again and again)  (Read 37449 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: Channel crossing record beat.
« Reply #30 on July 20, 2021, 10:23:01 pm by belton rover »
I don’t know what you mean, Raven. What have I ignored?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 20, 2021, 10:39:48 pm by SydneyRover »
Is that what you are Syd, couldn't hack it here so buggered off to poor old Australia, I make no wonder they are not keen on Poms.

did you get belton to help you with this sentence selby?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 21, 2021, 03:03:35 am by SydneyRover »
I saw this written on the side of a bus if anyone is interested ...............

''The UK taxpayer is to hand over a further €62.7m (£55m) to France to fund another clampdown on small-boat crossings of the Channel, the Home Office has revealed.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, agreed to pay the sum as part of a deal reached with the French interior minister, Gérald Darmanin, on Tuesday.

At least 430 people crossed the Dover Strait on Monday, a record for a single day''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/uk-french-border-patrols-migrant-clampdown-priti-patel

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 21, 2021, 10:21:31 am by Axholme Lion »
It’s a fair general point, Glyn, but the not supporting your home team comparison is a silly one. f**k me - I’d have to support Scunny!

I think if Axholme was on a local (to Millwall) forum obnoxiously arguing with and antagonising those who still lived in that area, then they would have every right to call him a Kitson.

I'm not from London. I support Millwall through choice and through some people i used to know way back. Got a lot of family history around Axholme going back a long, long time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 21, 2021, 10:51:08 am by Filo »
It’s a fair general point, Glyn, but the not supporting your home team comparison is a silly one. f**k me - I’d have to support Scunny!

I think if Axholme was on a local (to Millwall) forum obnoxiously arguing with and antagonising those who still lived in that area, then they would have every right to call him a Kitson.

I'm not from London. I support Millwall through choice and through some people i used to know way back. Got a lot of family history around Axholme going back a long, long time.

Dutch then

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 21, 2021, 11:10:39 am by Herbert Anchovy »
It’s a very odd conversation this. I’ve been in London for over 40 years yet I still take an interest in all things Donny. I still miss Donny and every so often it crosses my mind to come home, but I haven’t managed it yet!

Something does need to be done about illegal immigration. What that is, I don’t know though. However we look at it, we need the help of the French and they’re not exactly keen to do anything for us are they?

I’ve seen for myself just how immigration has changed whole districts. Parts of Newham in London are 70-80% made up of Asian or North African immigrants I’d estimate. 20-25 years ago these same areas were virtually made up of white, working class people. This change in population demographics in a relatively short space of time has caused the areas to alter significantly. Churches become mosques, butchers become halal etc. Meanwhile, much of the white population move out to Essex. Also, because there are so many nationalities living in a comparatively small area, it’s very difficult to build any community structure. Last year I was working in Barking and in one street I’d say there were around 10 different nationalities living side by side who never meet or communicate together. However, from my experience, virtually all of the 1st generation immigrants who I’ve worked with over the years are bloody hard workers who aren’t afraid of serious graft. Plus, they all pay taxes and prop up local economies. They contribute so much to the country that many people don’t know, or care, about.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 21, 2021, 11:36:12 am by SydneyRover »
Good post HA, here too in Oz there is a rapid and continuing change in the population but driven by immigration. How the UK deals with this problem that appears to be more political than actual is indeed a bit of a poser. I say political because the numbers arriving represent a very small fraction of a single percentage point of the population, but causes it so much angst within it. It's extremely difficult not to address the subject without mentioning the dreaded politics of it and deal with it solely on a humanitarian basis. Learning quite recently that the tory party have a paid advisor to stir up racial hate for votes is disappointing but not wholly unexpected.

To stop all refugees coming to the UK one would surely have to try and address the problems that drive them on this dangerous journey. Britain's hand in war and selling arms around the world does nothing to help this along with many other countries I will add. Reducing aid to poor countries will certainly not help either. But to return to an earlier point ..... is it really the problem it is made out to be? if 20.000 refugees landed every year for 30 years it would still not represent 1% of the population.

I have more to say but am happy to give others a chance to add their bit.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 21, 2021, 11:50:36 am by Axholme Lion »
Good post HA, here too in Oz there is a rapid and continuing change in the population but driven by immigration. How the UK deals with this problem that appears to be more political than actual is indeed a bit of a poser. I say political because the numbers arriving represent a very small fraction of a single percentage point of the population, but causes it so much angst within it. It's extremely difficult not to address the subject without mentioning the dreaded politics of it and deal with it solely on a humanitarian basis. Learning quite recently that the tory party have a paid advisor to stir up racial hate for votes is disappointing but not wholly unexpected.

To stop all refugees coming to the UK one would surely have to try and address the problems that drive them on this dangerous journey. Britain's hand in war and selling arms around the world does nothing to help this along with many other countries I will add. Reducing aid to poor countries will certainly not help either. But to return to an earlier point ..... is it really the problem it is made out to be? if 20.000 refugees landed every year for 30 years it would still not represent 1% of the population.

I have more to say but am happy to give others a chance to add their bit.

If twenty thousand refugees landed every year how many offspring will they have added to our population over thirty years. This is the point, it's not the few hundred now, it's the thousands that they will no doubt breed. :headbang:

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 21, 2021, 11:54:23 am by Axholme Lion »

Dutch then

Some of the family tree predates Vermuyden's vandalism.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 21, 2021, 12:24:01 pm by SydneyRover »
The refugee ''problem'' in Oz ................... it's political, the right + far right fuel the media and the media do their job for them, far more 'illegals' arrive here by plane than by boat and just overstay their visas and a lot apply for refugee status. There is a humanitarian aspect that has damaged labor by some of their supporters going to the greens but the vote gets back to labor via the voting system. If labor show signs of weakness towards refugees the far right media which is the larger slice go viral and labor have to back off.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 21, 2021, 12:41:24 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Dutch then

he was a bl00dy migrant could say the very first  case of "brain drain"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 21, 2021, 12:46:40 pm by drfchound »

Dutch then

he was a bl00dy migrant could say the very first  case of "brain drain"

I think I am correct in saying he was invited over here though.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 21, 2021, 12:48:08 pm by belton rover »
Coming over here, taking control of our isle…

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 21, 2021, 12:49:08 pm by drfchound »
I wonder who was the first to take him up the isle…..

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 21, 2021, 01:06:14 pm by Axholme Lion »
Coming over here, taking control of our isle…

Too right. It would be great if we still had to bob about between the villages in little boats. I'll wait for the global warming and buy one for when i need to nip over to Epworth.
Or maybe buy an Amphicar?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 21, 2021, 01:07:35 pm by Pancho Regan »
Reports that hgv drivers are being offered double their normal wage to drive due to shortages in the haulage industry.

I can vouch for that NR.

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 21, 2021, 01:28:33 pm by Redandwhite »
Is that what you are Syd, couldn't hack it here so buggered off to poor old Australia, I make no wonder they are not keen on Poms.

I can't think why he's so bothered about what happens over here seen as he has bailed out and done a runner. Maybe take more of an interest in the politics of Oz.

You pissed off from London so presumably you don't give a bugger about Millwall any more. The same principle applies, if you're daft enough to believe it.

How on earth is moving cities/towns in the same country the same as moving from one side of the world to the other?
The only way such a comparison could be made is if Axholme was constantly moaning about how shit his life is in London despite not having a life in London.

If you run away from somewhere, it doesn't matter how far or how many borders you cross, the principle AL is espousing is that you shouldn't be allowed to have any opinion on what you've run away from.
Nowhere near the same Glyn_ wigerley

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 21, 2021, 01:30:47 pm by Redandwhite »
Completely disgusting how the RNLI are being used to ferry these economic migrants across from a safe country .

Wonder how this affects the RNLI response times for genuine people in distress .

Hopefully tge economic migrants get sent back ASAP to the first safe country they landed in .
Then if they still want to come to the UK,  they can apply through the proper channels .

If they are economic migrants they can be deported back to their home country.

If they are refugees fleeing persecution they can go to any country they wish to seek asylum. As covered by International Law and the Geneva Convention, to which the UK is a signatory and a permanment member of the security council responsible for ensuring countries upholding that convention.
They aren't seeking asylum .
They are entering illegally.

They are required to seek asylum in the 1st safe country they enter .
We must be the 4th or 5th !

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 21, 2021, 09:34:20 pm by roversdude »
Axholme they shouldn’t have too many offspring as they seem in the majority to be fighting age males, all with the latest phones it seems too - makes you wonder how they charge them

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 21, 2021, 09:59:25 pm by GazLaz »
Completely disgusting how the RNLI are being used to ferry these economic migrants across from a safe country .

Wonder how this affects the RNLI response times for genuine people in distress .

Hopefully tge economic migrants get sent back ASAP to the first safe country they landed in .
Then if they still want to come to the UK,  they can apply through the proper channels .

If they are refugees fleeing persecution they can go to any country they wish to seek asylum. As covered by International Law and the Geneva Convention, to which the UK is a signatory and a permanment member of the security council responsible for ensuring countries upholding that convention.

I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Spreading fake news should be moderated on this forum.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 21, 2021, 10:03:07 pm by belton rover »

I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Spreading fake news should be moderated on this forum.

We’d need full time moderators  for that.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 22, 2021, 09:20:18 am by Axholme Lion »
Axholme they shouldn’t have too many offspring as they seem in the majority to be fighting age males, all with the latest phones it seems too - makes you wonder how they charge them

They will have when they've been here a short while. Get some local girl pregnant and then they can't be split from their 'family'. Human rights, innit?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 22, 2021, 09:43:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
Regarding the record number of eager immigrants successfully making the crossing into the UK in their dingies, would it be a good idea for the Rovers board to capitalise on this and have representatives based in France with an eye for footballing talent to handpick the good footballers among them before they embark and instead provide a more exclusive means of transport, strictly for destination Donny Rovers?

Worth a Punt?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 22, 2021, 12:58:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yeah, there is nothing to say they should stay in the first safe country. That's some GB News style bullshit.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 22, 2021, 01:03:39 pm by Axholme Lion »
Yeah, there is nothing to say they should stay in the first safe country. That's some GB News style bullshit.

You will be happy for them to live next door to you then, and to have any of their kids tying up the teachers at school affecting the education of our own which we have paid for?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 22, 2021, 01:17:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »

You will be happy for them to live next door to you then, and to have any of their kids tying up the teachers at school affecting the education of our own which we have paid for?

Yeah, I suppose so. Are you saying you don't want any asylum seekers ever in this country because of the affects, such as having to give them educations? It's pure luck where people are born, some people are unfortunately born in war torn countries, others in well off countries such as the UK, does that mean the unlucky ones don't deserve opportunities to better themselves because of invisible lines in the ground?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 22, 2021, 02:32:11 pm by Axholme Lion »

Yeah, I suppose so. Are you saying you don't want any asylum seekers ever in this country because of the affects, such as having to give them educations? It's pure luck where people are born, some people are unfortunately born in war torn countries, others in well off countries such as the UK, does that mean the unlucky ones don't deserve opportunities to better themselves because of invisible lines in the ground?

We are one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Everywhere you look houses are being built destroying the countryside and wildlife habitats. You can't get a dentist without driving miles and doctor's appointments are hard to get. At what point do we say enough is enough, or do we just keep on relentlessly increasing the population? Overpopulation is IMO the number one problem facing the world today. Most other problems, such as allleged climate change are a symptom of this. Yes, i do consider myself to have been fortunate to be born British, but that doesn't mean just because we're doing ok that we have to look after the rest of the world. Maybe these people should work hard and improve their own countries rather than taking the easy option and rolling up here. Why do they all want to come here rather than go to any other country when we are constantly being told how evil and racist we are?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 22, 2021, 02:46:27 pm by tyke1962 »

We are one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Everywhere you look houses are being built destroying the countryside and wildlife habitats. You can't get a dentist without driving miles and doctor's appointments are hard to get. At what point do we say enough is enough, or do we just keep on relentlessly increasing the population? Overpopulation is IMO the number one problem facing the world today. Most other problems, such as allleged climate change are a symptom of this. Yes, i do consider myself to have been fortunate to be born British, but that doesn't mean just because we're doing ok that we have to look after the rest of the world. Maybe these people should work hard and improve their own countries rather than taking the easy option and rolling up here. Why do they all want to come here rather than go to any other country when we are constantly being told how evil and racist we are?

It's an interesting point , why indeed risk the english channel and pay even more  money to traffickers when you have already landed on safe territory in France .

It's totally unacceptable that the UK taxpayer should be asked to fund their lives whilst they are detained in the UK awaiting judgment on their status .

This is a country who can't even feed its own low income population without foodbanks .

I'm not against asylum seekers for the record but it has to be strictly controlled and our waters policed far better .

Total abject failure from the government which to be honest isn't entirely unsurprising .

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 22, 2021, 03:17:26 pm by Metalmicky »
Surely we must be able to find out who these traffickers are.  The boats that these refugees come over on must be bought from somewhere - surely we should be able to scrutinise and monitor sales of such craft - or even make it a requirement that they must be registered. 

At worst we must have the technology at our disposal to see these craft and monitor their routes.  Not sure what the rules are about returning them back to where they came, but it appears that the French/ Belgium authorities aren't exactly breaking a leg to stop them embarking...

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 22, 2021, 03:18:12 pm by Not Now Kato »

They most certainly are not required to seek asylum in the first safe country.  Stop spreading untruths!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012