Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:56:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: truss  (Read 36642 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
truss
« on September 08, 2022, 11:26:33 pm by SydneyRover »
She deserves her own thread so her performance can be charted

''Liz Truss has underlined her apparent intention to rip up recent economic policies by removing Tom Scholar as the most senior civil servant in the Treasury, despite warnings that his experience could prove vital this winter''

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/tom-scholar-permanent-secretary-to-the-treasury-sacked-by-liz-truss

Let's hope this has more effect than 'ripping up the carpet'

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: truss
« Reply #1 on September 08, 2022, 11:34:03 pm by River Don »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 08, 2022, 11:39:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Kwarteng has announced that the independence of the BoE is "sacrosanct".

Not sure how that squares with his demand that the head of the BoE meet with him twice a week to "coordinate policy" but there you go. I never did get DoubleSpeak.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 09, 2022, 12:04:26 am by albie »
Guess who, as Environment secretary, gave Centrica the OK to close the Rough gas storage facility in 2017?

Yes, it was Lizzy!

So if we run out of gas this winter, and have to ration available supplies, then we know that the situation is worse than it would be because of the competence deficit.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 09, 2022, 12:13:41 am by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 09, 2022, 12:41:51 am by SydneyRover »
More real world bench marks to judge performance by:

Record 6.8m people waiting for hospital treatment in England.

There are over 1,400 Trussell Trust food banks in the UK, in addition to at least 1,172 independent food banks. (if anyone has separate numbers for England it would be better)

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 09, 2022, 12:45:04 pm by Panda »
Still can't believe that Liz Truss is now a 'world leader'. Just let that sink in and realize just how laughable politics has become.

That this lady is anywhere near being Prime Minister of the UK is demoralising on a scale never before experienced.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 09, 2022, 01:55:11 pm by danumdon »
Still can't believe that Liz Truss is now a 'world leader'. Just let that sink in and realize just how laughable politics has become.

That this lady is anywhere near being Prime Minister of the UK is demoralising on a scale never before experienced.

That you can say "is demoralising on a scale never before experienced" before she's got the seat warm is massively over promoting some of the liars, crooks, vagabonds and incompetents that have graced the role over the years.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 09, 2022, 01:59:11 pm by Panda »
True but would anyone vote for Liz Truss in a general election under normal circumstances?

She wouldn't have a hope in hell.

The only hope she has of winning a general election is to have a 2 year head start and see if she can actually start helping Britain and British people for a change.

Other previous candidates didn't get the luxury of having a 2 year trial before trying to win the public vote.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 09, 2022, 02:09:58 pm by River Don »
True but would anyone vote for Liz Truss in a general election under normal circumstances?

She wouldn't have a hope in hell.

The only hope she has of winning a general election is to have a 2 year head start and see if she can actually start helping Britain and British people for a change.

Other previous candidates didn't get the luxury of having a 2 year trial before trying to win the public vote.

What needs to happen, for her to stand a real chance in an election, is for the Ukraine war to end, Putin be deposed and Russian gas to return to the European markets.

If that were to happen and energy suddenly became much more affordable, then there would be a huge economic boost, for which the undeserving Truss would no doubt claim the credit.

Unlikely but looking at the news coming out of Ukraine recently not impossible.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 02:14:50 pm by River Don »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 09, 2022, 02:22:41 pm by Sprotyrover »
Guess who, as Environment secretary, gave Centrica the OK to close the Rough gas storage facility in 2017?

Yes, it was Lizzy!

So if we run out of gas this winter, and have to ration available supplies, then we know that the situation is worse than it would be because of the competence deficit.
What has that got to do with this thread ,it is allegedly about monitoring her performance as PM.?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 09, 2022, 02:26:36 pm by Sprotyrover »
Well I don't see a mention of the massive plus to Doncaster during her very first PM question time!

Oh well let's not let Positives get in the way of the Left wing Bigots on this forum eh!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 09, 2022, 02:41:05 pm by danumdon »
She finds herself in a very similar position to what transpired for Brown. He got deserved plaudits for helping to retrieve the country (and the wider world) out of the financial crash and back onto some sort of an even keel. That he delayed going for  GE just created a position from which he could not recover(not helped in any way by the Gillian Duffy affair in the election run up)

Truss, should and would in a different world go to the country and have a GE to provide her with a mandate, its obvious that in this present climate that's not an option so she will have to go to full term in the hope of reigning in some of the extraordinary occurrences of the last three years.

She has more than her hands full with that. Outside influences have affected the last parliament and they don't look like coming to her rescue anytime soon.

Im imagining that Wallace factored this in when weighing his options to run for leader this time. A rejig after the next GE after a term of Labour control trying to correct this massive imbalance would be on the minds of prospective leadership candidates.

Truss has more than her hands full, her awkwardness and demeanour may have led many to underestimate her. Interesting two years to see what she can make of this Sh*t storm.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 09, 2022, 02:48:02 pm by Panda »
Well I don't see a mention of the massive plus to Doncaster during her very first PM question time!

Oh well let's not let Positives get in the way of the Left wing Bigots on this forum eh!

Yep. I heard that too. I think in reality she had no idea probably where Doncaster was. It was only because the MP kept saying Doncaster / Sheffield airport that gave her an idea.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 09, 2022, 02:53:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DD.
Sorry mate but your recollection is absolutely shot.

Brown pulled out of an election in Summer 2007, well before the GFC.

When the GFC hit he DID organise concerted global economic action that very likely saved the world from a second Great Depression.

He got bugger all credit for that, because Osborne and Cameron waded in immediately the danger had passed, claiming Brown was spending like a drunken sailor and insisting the crisis was all his fault. They streamed ahead in the polls.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 09, 2022, 02:57:39 pm by danumdon »
DD.

When the GFC hit he DID organise concerted global economic action that very likely saved the world from a second Great Depression.

He got bugger all credit for that, because Osborne and Cameron waded in immediately the danger had passed, claiming Brown was spending like a drunken sailor and insisting the crisis was all his fault. They streamed ahead in the polls.

My point was he delayed going to the country until he had too.

The opportunity to go earlier was there but he decided against it. Could it have been that the "polls " were not favourable?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 09, 2022, 02:59:23 pm by drfchound »

Yep. I heard that too. I think in reality she had no idea probably where Doncaster was. It was only because the MP kept saying Doncaster / Sheffield airport that gave her an idea.

Someone who went to school in Leeds is very likely to know where Donny is.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 09, 2022, 03:25:44 pm by albie »

Yes, it was Lizzy!

What has that got to do with this thread ,it is allegedly about monitoring her performance as PM.?

Absolutely central to this thread, and her position as PM, Sproty.

The energy crisis and the cost of living pressures will be the most important topics during her time.
She has previous form on energy, and it is very poor.

We can't just ignore the fact that Truss has a professional background with an energy producer (Shell), has received funding from interests connected to energy producers (BP), and has given consent to Centrica (British Gas), to reduce gas storage and rely on just in time supplies from Russia.

All these things are relevant to the issues we face as a country, and her capacity to resolve those issues without bias in favour of vested interests.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 09, 2022, 03:39:59 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Massive plus to Doncaster?  there was nothing but platitudes in her reply. I will watch with interest to see what transpires before presuming she is going to do anything to influence the outcome in the way we all would like.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 09, 2022, 05:13:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DD.

My point was he delayed going to the country until he had too.

The opportunity to go earlier was there but he decided against it. Could it have been that the "polls " were not favourable?

The whole issue of Brown bottling the 2007 election is a very odd one.

He was very popular when he  took over from Blair in June 2007. Labour got a big bounce in the polls and pulled Labour back into a clear lead for the first time in 18 months. Brown was seen as the brains of the operation and a very surefooted, dependable politician. Oct 2007 looked like the perfect time to call an election and secure his own mandate.

What turned things round was Cameron making a speech a the September Tory conference at which he pledged to massively reduce inheritance tax. That got fantastic media approval. Even though it would have only benefited the richest 10% or so. The Tories got a boost in the polls. Brown, who was normally ruthlessly decisive, quavered and then chose to kybosh rumours of the plan to call an election. That lack of grip made Cameron seem like the one in charge. And the GFC hit straight after. Brown never recovered.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 09, 2022, 05:53:30 pm by Sprotyrover »

Truss did ask the New Transport Minister Wendy Trevellyan to look into the situation as a matter of priority.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 09, 2022, 06:35:05 pm by Donnywolf »
Only a small point but it's Anne-Marie not Wendy

She starts every answer ssssooooooooo . Well 80% roughly

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 09, 2022, 06:43:30 pm by Donnywolf »

Massive plus to Doncaster?  there was nothing but platitudes in her reply. I will watch with interest to see what transpires before presuming she is going to do anything to influence the outcome in the way we all would like.

Agree totally.

Was more interested in the Q immediately before that re the new home for Great British Railways proposed new HQ

MP trying to get Truss to say something on its chances.

Maybe just their MP earning his corn by getting in a mention.

Donny in running as well but Fletcher MP at least raised Airport which is probably the better of the 2 options but I'm not holding my breath

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 09, 2022, 10:53:37 pm by tyke1962 »
This is what happens when you appoint loyalists over ability to your front bench .

The chancellor's face is priceless .

https://youtu.be/mNMCkuIBggw

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 09, 2022, 11:09:59 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
here's an interesting article from 11th March 2006 

it relates to both the late Queen and he Prime Ministers

"Despite being served by 10 prime ministers during her 54 year reign, only two - Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher - are mentioned. "

It is known that the Queen has held some of her previous prime ministers in disdain but she felt a fondness for Mr Dewar.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12441538.queens-80th-birthday-tribute-reveals-rapport-dewar-pictures-official-website-show-friendship/

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 13, 2022, 09:17:42 am by Panda »

Someone who went to school in Leeds is very likely to know where Donny is.

Along with her year in a Canadian school and subsequent education at Oxford. She spent about 5 minutes in Leeds. Granted though, she possibly does know where Doncaster is for the purposes of my reply.

She's having some right old time off the job at the moment isn't she? Meanwhile, the rest of us have to work.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 13, 2022, 09:29:19 am by turnbull for england »
That he delayed going for  GE just created a position from which he could not recover(not helped in any way by the Gillian Duffy affair in the election run up)

Doesn't that line show how far we've fallen.  A decent and clever prime minister complains in what he thought was a private moment about his own team arranging a meeting with woman who's views whilst populist were old fashioned and bigoted. That became a driver in him leaving.  Inside 15 years on we had a bloke who laughs off worse before breakfast on his way to a Russian pissup.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 13, 2022, 05:58:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/13/focus-on-growth-not-fiscal-discipline-kwasi-kwarteng-tells-treasury

When Labour were saying this at a time that we had near zero inflation and the bond markets were offering the Govt money at negative interest rates, it was textbook correct economics. The Tories and their lapdogs in the Press said it was dangerous, economically illiterate Marxism.

Now the Tories are proposing to borrow like hell to boost the economy while inflation is ballooning and interest rates are rising. Just like Anthony Barber did in the 70s, f**king the economy for a decade.

They are utterly shameless. Focussed on nothing but a madcap boom in the run up to the Election and to hell with the consequences. So, so dangerous. 

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 13, 2022, 07:06:23 pm by Donny Dub »

She knows where Hemsworth is she once stood for election there. 

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 14, 2022, 10:39:28 am by Panda »
Crikey. She dodged one there then!  :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012