Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:31:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Blood boiling  (Read 3342 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Blood boiling
« Reply #30 on May 08, 2024, 05:16:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
This thinking was far more prevelant back in the day. I remember being stood on the town end first season back in the football league - rovers fans were singing and guy turned to me and said 'half these weren't here in the conference'. This kind of thinking also seeped its way onto this forum through the years.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 08, 2024, 05:40:21 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
When I first began going to the Rovers in the mid/late 70’s we were getting crowds of around 1500 I think. At school I was probably the only Rovers fan as everyone else followed Leeds, Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Notts Forest. To be fair to the OP, I suspect that I had the same feelings as him when we were promoted in 1981. Where’d all these people come from? Where were they when we were getting tonked at home by Torquay in an empty stadium?

It took me some time to understand that Rovers are in competition with quite a few other clubs for our support, so anything that gets more people through the turnstile is a good thing!

Nowadays, I must be one of the very few people on this forum who doesn’t give a toss what our attendances are! There’s Jack all that I can do about it so why worry? When we lose I’m pissed off whether there’s 1000 or 10,000 there!

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 08, 2024, 06:22:15 pm by Spud »
When I first began going to the Rovers in the mid/late 70’s we were getting crowds of around 1500 I think. At school I was probably the only Rovers fan as everyone else followed Leeds, Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Notts Forest. To be fair to the OP, I suspect that I had the same feelings as him when we were promoted in 1981. Where’d all these people come from? Where were they when we were getting tonked at home by Torquay in an empty stadium?

It took me some time to understand that Rovers are in competition with quite a few other clubs for our support, so anything that gets more people through the turnstile is a good thing!

Nowadays, I must be one of the very few people on this forum who doesn’t give a toss what our attendances are! There’s Jack all that I can do about it so why worry? When we lose I’m pissed off whether there’s 1000 or 10,000 there!

HA, my first game, I looked it up recently, we bear Bristol Rovers 2-0 at home, one of the last games of 86/87 season.
I genuinely couldn't care less what league we're in, how many turn up, I just feel connected to MY club.
I wouldn't wanna repeat the last two or three years, & indeed the last time I didn't bother was under Fergue I think.
At the same time I do chuckle at all the Johnny come lately's.
At the same time, I recognise we have a lot of fans that go now & then, & at times like these, we're gonna sell out ish. Us hard-core have to embrace it, I guess  :-D

There were two or three of us Rovers fans at school too, I still don't understand all the utd, Liverpool, Leeds, spurs, arsenal etc..   

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 08, 2024, 06:26:38 pm by KingKendrick »
Makes my blood boil when everyone comes out of the cracks when we're doing great and on the verge of greatness eco full to rafters on Friday and come next season there gone

Be proud and support the rovers full time not part time !!!!!

RANT OVER

RTID

Why? If you still got a ticket then it’s better to be in a full ground than half empty?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 08, 2024, 06:43:41 pm by PDX_Rover »
It’s great that the magic of this incredible run has caught the imagination of the public. There will be some conversions from those attending who haven’t before or maybe sporadically.

A win win IMHO

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 08, 2024, 06:51:13 pm by danumdon »
Strange attitude to have about the club that you support.

I'd say most fans would love to have as many more fans in as we could muster, its 2024 not 1924, people now have so many other things vying for their attention that we should just be accepting that some will come and go as they please.

If this spell of magic that we have produced in such a short period of time has the City as enthused as it has then let's hope going all they way and seeing this thing through will attract a great many back for another bash next season.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 08, 2024, 08:09:58 pm by jmt23 »
People follow success, that’s why we have so many Leeds fans in donny, they are close and we’re at one point champions of Europe ( they were weren’t they?  :saywhat:)
There is a few blades and Wedensdeh fans too, same reasons.

General fans that don’t really attend games will support Liverpool, Man U, Man City… watching from home.

We need to make these floaters feel welcome, part of a team, and hope they want to continue to follow their home team. There is loads of people that like football but never really attend, I get loads of people asking me about rovers, and how they played, they seem genuinely interested, and I always feel they are on the edge of coming but never do. ( that’s not the best end to a sentence ever, matron!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 08, 2024, 08:22:52 pm by idler »
Not sure that they would like being called floaters. ;)

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 08, 2024, 08:49:04 pm by BradwellRover »
Hope they don’t make too much noise, I like it nice and quiet as usual  :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 08, 2024, 09:06:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My eldest hasn't been to a match for a decade. Fair broke my heart, it did. He's coming on Friday, and after a very tough last couple of years, I'm filling up just thinking about it.

Or, he and 7000 others could be told they're not welcome. 

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 08, 2024, 09:12:47 pm by dknward2 »
Thankfully reading all the posts it seems we only have 1 person who thinks like this, can't be there myself in Friday but will be with my parents to watch on sky cheering on the lads. Pretty sure we will be able to hear the fans from cantley really hope the fans sing and cheer from beginning to the end

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 08, 2024, 09:16:28 pm by IDM »
Notice how the OP hasn’t had the guts to come back and justify his rant having seen the replies..

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 08, 2024, 09:22:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Two flush floaters

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 08, 2024, 09:34:43 pm by Pancho Regan »
I can never get my head around the attitude of the OP.

As a Rovers fan I want as many people as possible to get down and support the club financially and vocally.

Of course I want to see them back every week and hopefully we'll do enough on Friday night to make some of the occasional fans consider a season ticket. The last few years have been awful and it's felt like a duty going to watch the Rovers. I can't blame anyone who has decided not to bother but we've done something quite remarkable since January and the more people caught up in the surge of positivity the better!

Well said Mike, agree totally.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 08, 2024, 09:41:52 pm by scawsby steve »

Especially if the reason they've missed Rovers games is that they've chose to work instead, having been offered overtime rates of time and a turd.

OK, Idler, I'll get mi coat.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 08, 2024, 09:46:12 pm by turnbull for england »

Especially if the reason they've missed Rovers games is that they've chose to work instead, having been offered overtime rates of time and a turd.

They came when they didn't want to, just going through the motions

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 08, 2024, 09:53:38 pm by Michael Shaw »
What a negative first post. Back to usual already and we haven't even lost to Crewe.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 08, 2024, 10:18:49 pm by thumper »
Why would we not want people to turn up, might just sway someone into coming to watch more or buy as season ticket. And the reality is of course more people turn up when we're playing well, hardly likely to come spend money watching dross

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 09, 2024, 08:33:43 am by Upton Rover »
Makes my blood boil when everyone comes out of the cracks when we're doing great and on the verge of greatness eco full to rafters on Friday and come next season there gone

Be proud and support the rovers full time not part time !!!!!

RANT OVER

RTID
Each to their own, I’ve attended a few games this season due to illnesses and away on holiday and will miss Fridays game, success and playing we’ll bring more support so everyone as a right to go when they want. Rant over

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 09, 2024, 08:39:56 am by Donnywolf »
Hope they don’t make too much noise, I like it nice and quiet as usual  :lol:

.... true and Id like also to be able to walk up to BVB get served and hear myself think , and get served in timely fashion at start of game and HT .

talksbollox

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 09, 2024, 09:11:51 am by talksbollox »
The same sentiments expressed on the train home from Crewe by one of our ‘faithful’ supporters, only he was F’ing and blinding to the whole carriage, including the women and children.

A great advert for our club and for football as a whole. Now that does make my blood boil.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 09, 2024, 09:24:43 am by BradwellRover »
Notice how the OP hasn’t had the guts to come back and justify his rant having seen the replies..

As much as I disagree with the OP, you do realise that this is a forum for people to discuss opinions, which will often be different?

Respectfully, I think your post is provocative and unnecessary.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 09, 2024, 09:31:46 am by IDM »

As much as I disagree with the OP, you do realise that this is a forum for people to discuss opinions, which will often be different?

Respectfully, I think your post is provocative and unnecessary.

Oh I agree - folks can post radical opinions on a forum, but the more bizarre the argument, the more folks will disagree.  It’s just as valid on a forum for folks to post counter arguments, even more so if there is more reason in those.

It’s not unexpected for someone to back up or defend themselves when they face opposing views, so therefore it’s not wrong to point out when they don’t have the courage to do so.

I don’t agree I was provocative, more challenging to the OP.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 09, 2024, 09:57:48 am by Reg of the Rovers »

They came when they didn't want to, just going through the motions
Let's hope this good run doesn't turn out to be a busted flush.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:16:30 am by Reg of the Rovers »

bigallan

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 09, 2024, 10:11:13 am by bigallan »
I'm still here and stand by my comments as they are my opinions
In retrospect the ppl that come or are coming will moan that the board aren't putting in money
The budget will eventually fall on the season tickets sold which Im told won't be over 5 thousand
Wich in turn will probably give us a gate of around 8 if we're doing well that's 5 thousand short of this gate
I'm not denying or saying that I'm not for ppl not to attend but to attend more frequently than just this one game and then 20,000 plus at wembley sorry if I offended it's just a opinion of my 50 yrs in supporting the mighty reds thru thick and thin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:13:58 am by bigallan »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 09, 2024, 10:19:01 am by IDM »
I’m sure many or most of the folks (me included) who will probably go to Wembley if we get there, would LOVE to go to regular fixtures more often, but for all sorts of reasons can’t.

You are entitled to your beliefs but it does rile somewhat.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 09, 2024, 10:23:15 am by Iberian Red »
I’m sure many or most of the folks (me included) who will probably go to Wembley if we get there, would LOVE to go to regular fixtures more often, but for all sorts of reasons can’t.

You are entitled to your beliefs but it does rile somewhat.

Same here IDM. Maybe I'd better cancel the flights and accommodation I've booked in case I bump onto Mr Angry of Doncaster.

bigallan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 09, 2024, 10:28:50 am by bigallan »
I'm not angry not at all just want more of these ppl to support the club more that's all it's not a lot to ask
Or maybe it is

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 09, 2024, 10:31:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What happens to your blood when you ARE angry?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 09, 2024, 10:37:36 am by Upton Rover »
I'm not angry not at all just want more of these ppl to support the club more that's all it's not a lot to ask
Or maybe it is
Makes your blood boil, is that not angry?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012