Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:22:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shackell  (Read 7143 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Shackell
« on February 13, 2010, 05:58:09 pm by mushRTID »
It said in the programme he was expected to be out for 4 weeks after an op 2 weeks ago.

Was his substition precaution or has a big gamble backfired? Anybody know why he went off?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TheRev

• Forum Member
Re:Shackell
« Reply #1 on February 13, 2010, 05:59:46 pm by TheRev »
It looked like he was holding his groin from where I was sat.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 13, 2010, 06:09:52 pm by MrFrost »
I thought it was a crazy decision to play him and wasn't surprised to see him go off. He has been touted as being three week away from recovery. Why take the risk?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 13, 2010, 06:11:11 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
dosent say alot for SOD belief in Hird

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 13, 2010, 06:12:13 pm by MrFrost »
I actually thought Hird had a great game today when he came on.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 13, 2010, 06:18:24 pm by Superspy »
SOD on radio sheffield.

shackell trained 2 days and felt confident he could last an hour, unfortunately the gamble didnt pay off and his groin tweaked.

roberts felt a click in his knee against leicester and played through with it, initially they thought it could be a cruciate(sp) issue, but they arent sure, he's having a scan on monday to tell us whether it will be long term or short.

no news on martis.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #6 on February 13, 2010, 06:31:53 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Martis just looked as if it was cramp again so hopefully he'll be fine for Tuesday.

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on February 13, 2010, 06:33:23 pm by VikingJames »
If Hird continues to play like he did today, we don't need to rush Shackell back.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 13, 2010, 06:35:35 pm by scuzzer »
I agree, Hird was awesome and did a great job on that lump Adebola! He was due a good game and certainly got it today.

Donnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 13, 2010, 06:42:50 pm by Donnyboy »
All the back six or seven we're great today, i think Dumbaya is going to be a good player he's very quick and looked confident when he came on, i thought Stock was MOM but not going argue with O'Connor either

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 13, 2010, 06:48:49 pm by danrover82 »
Donnyboy wrote:
All the back six or seven we're great today, i think Dumbaya is going to be a good player he's very quick and looked confident when he came on, i thought Stock was MOM but not going argue with O'Connor either

I agree, I thought Dumbaya was a great little player, something for the future for sure. I thought that Stocky was poor compared to his standards in the first but excellent in the second half.

All round the team were awesome.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 13, 2010, 07:08:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Hird was certainly in need of a good game.  He's been really out of form, today he was brilliant and won everything.  Hopefully we'll see Sam Hird back to his usual self.  He was always going to have a blip in form hopefully he's now had it.

I thought Stock was fantastic in front of the back 4.  He's improving with games.  His passing could have been better once or twice and occasionally he was let down by the movement of those he passed to.

As for Dumbaya, isn't he quick?  He looked real good going forward and his low cross was fantastic.  He needs games and I can see why a loan is thought to be the way for him.  Defensively he looked shaky, but he needs games.  Just a shame his Bournemouth loan didn't come off but based on that 10 minutes today there shouldn't be a shortage of admirers in the loan market.

VikingJames

« Reply #12 on February 13, 2010, 07:20:20 pm by VikingJames »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:

As for Dumbaya, isn't he quick?  He looked real good going forward and his low cross was fantastic.  He needs games and I can see why a loan is thought to be the way for him.  Defensively he looked shaky, but he needs games.  Just a shame his Bournemouth loan didn't come off but based on that 10 minutes today there shouldn't be a shortage of admirers in the loan market.

Agree 100% on Dumbuya. But does anyone else think he would make a very effective winger for us? We don't really have any great pace going forward, and seeing as he isn't the best defensively, I think he could be suited to a more advanced role.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2010, 12:38:27 am by CusworthRovers »
Mustapha may not be the best defensively is a bit harsh. I think he was caught out just the once too far forward (put that down to giddiness). That will come with games and the system required. I thought he caused them problems on the right. I thought he was a tough little cookie too. Strong in the tackle and jumped against their big uns with aplomb.

Very pleasing performance.

I also thought Hird had a good solid game and looked unusually strong against Dele and co as well as sweeping up any defensive shortcomings. Looked like he did last season and full of confidence. Long may it continue. I'm sure he's aware that he's probs No3 at best in the CH pecking order and maybe that gave him a tiny kick up the derriere.

The defence looked so good and that was aided by the midfield.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 14, 2010, 10:00:10 am by rtid88 »
I was quite impressed with Dumbaya when we came on to be fair, looked very competent on the ball! A lot more then Martis to be fair. Did not look uncomfortable at all and looked very competitive! Well played young un'!!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 14, 2010, 10:06:48 am by Al4475 »
I thought Dumbaya looked like the proverbial 'chicken without a head' when he first game on, however, once Stocky started chatting to him and giving him a few directional pointers, he obviously gained in confidence and looked an exciting prospect, more like a terrier biting at ankles than a headless chicken as the game finished. A promising cameo!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 14, 2010, 10:08:16 am by roversdude »
got to disagree, Dumbaya certainly looks a good prospect but thought he looked out of his depth yesterday and needs games, inexperience in giving away free kick on edge of box could have cost us. looked promising going forward though.
Sam Hird was a tower yesterday.
Is it the Keepmoat pitch that gives Martis cramp ????

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 14, 2010, 10:19:31 am by Filo »
I`ve got to admit, I feared the worse when Sam had to replace Shackell, I thought Adebola would bully Sam, but fair play to Sam he had an imense game and can take Adebola out of his pocket now

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2010, 10:25:01 am by roversdude »
cant believe how easy it looked for Hird against that big lump - maybe it helped with Stocky softening him up in first half. For a big lad he went down easy

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2010, 07:12:42 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Agree with most of what people say about Sam and Mustapha. I also thought Shelton looked better than last week, and Chambers for me had his best ever game as a left back.

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2010, 07:37:44 pm by ferribyrover »
Forest may be chasing auto promotion, may be twice Euro Cup Winners, but could not breach an effective Rovers defence.
Enjoy!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2010, 09:45:02 am by wing commander »
I was pretty flabergasted by Shackell starting,i know Sams not been in the best of form but he really must worry for his future when SOD would rather play a player who might give us a hour when clearly struggling,especially when Martis isnt match fit either.
    It was a ridiculous descision,of course Shacks would say hes fit but its up to the physio to say that he needs another 2 weeks.He could easily have put himself out for a lot longer..
    As for Mussy,i though he did well,maybe got caught out of position a bit but thats understandable given his experience.Shame the Bournmouth loan fell through as he would benefit from a few games..

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2010, 09:56:36 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Sam has been badly out of form though so in that respect has only himself to blame.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2010, 12:24:02 pm by Drover »
I don't think he has been that much out of form,I think it has more to do with desperately lacking the players to deal with height issues and set piece defending at the back this season.With Millsy gone and Locky injured when shackell has gone off we have struggled to cope with set pieces and when teams have been good and played alot of crosses corners free-kicks etc it has been easy to punish us like the Middlesborough game.I admit I was fearing the worse when Shackell and then Martis went off against Florist but they coped this time.I think thats why SOD gambled with shackell because he was worried about the aerial attacks from them but they did not really get into their stride thanks to our lads giving a big effort.Also with the situation being like it has recently with injured defenders I think SOD would rather switch JOC to CB and have Sam on the bench because Chambo and Robbo have been in such good form this season that would mean JOC being on the bench to keep sam in the side and JOC has just got back into his stride after his injury himself.This gives an impression that SOD is not happy with Sam's form when He actually has no problem at all and knowing SOD he will have made his decisions and opinions clear to Sam so he knows the situation has it actually is.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012