Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:41:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stock  (Read 6825 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Stock
« on February 10, 2010, 02:05:45 pm by The L J Monk »
Is he what he was?

Pre-injury, with Stock a fixture of our midfield, we had a somewhat slow start to the season, picking up an average of one point per game.

During his injury, and lay off against Boro, with a rejigged midfield we averaged a much healthier 1.35 points per game.

Throwing in the fact he hasn't scored all season, is he far less important than we think he is, or has the introduction of William Sharp skewed the figures?

Incidentally, playing both Sharp and Stock we have averaged....one point per game.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re:Stock
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2010, 02:13:03 pm by steve@dcfd »
The problem we have is when Stock and Wilson playing in the same side our build up is slow. Both players want time on the ball and do not move it quick enough. When Woods and Gillett played together we moved the ball quicker through midfield. Lets hope when Woods returns we can speed up our passing and movement in midfield. Also we need more goals from the midfield five and that has been poor all season. Without Billy Sharpe were would we have been.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2010, 02:43:58 pm by SkellowRover »
steve@dcfd wrote:
The problem we have is when Stock and Wilson playing in the same side our build up is slow. Both players want time on the ball and do not move it quick enough. When Woods and Gillett played together we moved the ball quicker through midfield. Lets hope when Woods returns we can speed up our passing and movement in midfield. Also we need more goals from the midfield five and that has been poor all season. Without Billy Sharpe were would we have been.

Agree 100% the sooner woods is back for Wilson the better because the creativity and support for Billy atm is not good enough.

kyle17balby

« Reply #3 on February 10, 2010, 05:27:53 pm by kyle17balby »
i never used to be a fan off woods but u dont realise until someone aint in the team .. does anyone agree he gives the team that flow..??

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2010, 06:05:07 pm by RoversAlias »
Yeah, I'm not Woods' biggest fan but I can't wait for him to come back and replace Wilson now, think it's what we need to freshen up the team.

And Stock is quality, he wasn't too great against Reading but have no reason to think he's why we aren't doing so great.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2010, 06:40:49 pm by wilts rover »
steve@dcfd wrote:

At the risk of sounding like BST: when Woods and Gillett played together we had a record of P6 W1 L4 D1 so they must have moved the ball a bit too quickly.

Interesting after Wilson came on as sub in the Sheff Wednesday game with the score at 0-0 (Gillett had come on earlier as sub for Woods) with Wilson and Gillet we had a record of P5 W4 L1

bigdonnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2010, 12:49:13 am by bigdonnyboy »
Top man Wilts rover for your stats as it has saved me from trying to explain to some muppets on here that its not always Wilson who is the problem with our poor form. Funny how the thread practically died with your statement as no one wants to really acknowledge facts like that, it would be sacrilege to praise him so just pretend this thread doesn't exist any more.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2010, 07:00:02 am by en aitch »
However all of the above are talking sense (sort of).

All (nearly) agree that our midfield works better without the pairing of Wilson & Stock.

Choose between Wilson & Stock - MOSTchoose Stock!

Who is the midfielder that is out with injury - Woods!
Would we like to change one of our Stock / Wilson pairing - Yes, please!

Therefore - Wilson out - Woods in. (unless other options can be explored ie. Is Gillet coming back on loan?)

So this is not an anti-Wilson thread (I've read the posts) it is a thread about whether Stock is back to form & whether he & Wilson work in tandem, and most posters (who expressed a preference :) ) would pick Stock above Mark Wilson.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2010, 08:56:22 am by The Red Baron »
Of course, if we go back to 2007-08, we started the season with a midfield that included Stock and Wilson. We produced some turgid football and things only changed in December when Green came in for Wilson and suddenly the midfield had more drive and dynamism about it.

Last season Spicer seemed to provide that, although he seems to be out of favour now (again), and I have to hope that the return of Woods will provide the spark we need.

As en aitch has said- this is not an anti-Wilson thread. One of the worst midfield performances of the season came at Forest when Wilson did not play and we had Gillett and Woods in midfield. Gillett was benched for the next game (at Palace) and then Woods got injured, meaning that we ended with Wilson and Gillett together. This coincided with our best run of the season.

It is all about blend, and somehow we don't have it at the moment.

bigdonnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 11, 2010, 04:50:10 pm by bigdonnyboy »
Not anti Wilson, so why would most still choose Stock when it is evident that this season the results have been better with Wilson than with Stock. Please explain in plain english guys!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2010, 05:32:55 pm by The Red Baron »
Maybe because Stock is a current full international and Wilson is not? Also, Stock is a better passer of the ball- although I would admit that his passing has been off recently.

Interestingly, the best game I can recall Wilson having was last season at home to Derby. Wellens was banned and Wilson played a more forward, free-ranging role. He even scored a really good goal. Stock was in that team, playing the deep-lying role.

So I don't think it is impossible for them to play together if their roles are defined properly. I actually think some of our midfield problems come from those in front of Stock and Wilson.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2010, 10:07:07 am by CusworthRovers »
What's really surprising about this thread is the Woods link.

A few months ago Woods was supposedly responsible for slowing play down, giving the ball away cheaply and being the root problem of us losing and looking mishaped.

Now without even playing he's the one we've sorely missed, the saviour and the one that will speed up our midfield and the missing chain in the midfield.

bessyrover

« Reply #12 on February 12, 2010, 10:18:00 am by bessyrover »
thought i'd something else into the forum...

Stock's house in Doncaster has been put up for sale...possibility of a pre agreed move at the end of the season maybe??

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 12, 2010, 10:35:06 am by Superspy »
CusworthRovers wrote:
What's really surprising about this thread is the Woods link.

A few months ago Woods was supposedly responsible for slowing play down, giving the ball away cheaply and being the root problem of us losing and looking mishaped.

Now without even playing he's the one we've sorely missed, the saviour and the one that will speed up our midfield and the missing chain in the midfield.

welcome to football, lol.

from my point of view though, im one of the ones looking forward to getting him back, and i NEVER laid an ounce of blame at his door for anything that happened previously, i dont tend to be a hypocrit when it comes to my opinion.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 12, 2010, 11:03:19 am by irishcontingent »
bessyrover wrote:

Stock's house in Doncaster has been put up for sale...possibility of a pre agreed move at the end of the season maybe??

Wouldnt read too much into that, Coppingers home in Fosterhouses was up for sale 18 months ago. He still at DRFC.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 12, 2010, 11:49:09 am by Barmby Rover »
Footballers never move house except to get another club. Good theory, I doubt it would hold up to the stats. BST?

muff licker

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 14, 2010, 08:26:38 pm by muff licker »
bessyrover wrote:

Hello peeps, not been on for a few days as celebrating my Little God Daughters arrival, anyways the reason for replying. As this Quote says, Stocky's house is up for sale (even though he rents it) so please look into this as you please, is it Barca, Real Madrid, AC Milan(in a swop deal with Beckham)- either way i hope we get the right result   :ohmy:

Please guys, Stockys family read this forum, and yes what is said on here makes the forum BUT it's getting ridiculous the amount of times his name is mentioned on her as being a 'deserter'.....Brian Stock is and still will be a DRFC come whay May annd beyond, so can we please ENCOURAGE the teams performance and give the support you always have. At the end of the season, Stocky has said he will meet and greet any people who have questioned his commitment to DRFC ( if he does it now it doesn't bode well for the club) so can everyone keep their conspirory theories till then, thanks you....

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 14, 2010, 08:54:33 pm by danrover82 »
muff licker wrote:

Please guys, Stockys family read this forum, and yes what is said on here makes the forum BUT it's getting ridiculous the amount of times his name is mentioned on her as being a 'deserter'.....Brian Stock is and still will be a DRFC come whay May annd beyond, so can we please ENCOURAGE the teams performance and give the support you always have. At the end of the season, Stocky has said he will meet and greet any people who have questioned his commitment to DRFC ( if he does it now it doesn't bode well for the club) so can everyone keep their conspirory theories till then, thanks you....

Well said, if Stocky is offered bigger and better then so be it. We cant change that and nor would we want to. The window is shut and we still have a long way to go this season yet needing at least 5 more wins. So why worry about things we cant control, and focus on the things we can like showing the players how much we love and appreciate all they do. That way who knows what difference it will make in making decisons  ;)

Wello

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2010, 10:26:09 pm by Wello »
Without doubt Stock is different gravy compared to most, i rate him highly, but I must say his work rate isnt as great as most midfielders, but never the less hes still quality. But the bug bare for me is, that When Wilson plays stocky sits to deep to pick up the ball and in reasent times stocky isnt an attacking threat. Is Wilson's lack of pace and qaulity in Stocksy mind why he sits so deep? is it down to SOD's wanting him to pick the ball up to distribrute more? or what? Wilson isnt good enough , he's a bit part player, he gives 110%  but just isnt quiet at  championship level, wilson would be a good league one player but he is loyal and a Credit to the club, I really do think getting the lad Mutch in has been a waste of time, hes a tall lad and has got plenty of energy and i am sure he's sharp and much quicker than wilson, why cant mutch do what wilson does and better?

If we do lose Stock in the summer, hes been a great player for us and servant, and he will surely be in the ,mills and wellens bracket in regards to making a big profit for the club, I think stocks move will depend on Either Pompy coming down and showing an interest , or Southampton coming up. Otherwise I cant see why else he would move. Whatever he does good luck to him.

I also think, Heffs, Guy, Wilson, Sully, and maybe another of Wilson or oster may also move in the summer.

I hope we give ost another 1yr deal though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2010, 10:55:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wello wrote:
Without doubt Stock is different gravy compared to most, i rate him highly, but I must say his work rate isnt as great as most midfielders, but never the less hes still quality. But the bug bare for me is, that When Wilson plays stocky sits to deep to pick up the ball and in reasent times stocky isnt an attacking threat. Is Wilson's lack of pace and qaulity in Stocksy mind why he sits so deep?

Good points.

Not many people would argue that our two best extended runs of form under O'Driscoll were Xmas-end of season 07-08 and the same period 08-09.

In both periods, we had a player in midfield who would drive the opposition back by the threat of buccaneering runs from the middle of the park. Green in our promotion season, Spicer last year. In both periods, the inclusion of that player meant that we had a midfield system that afforded Stock some breathing space and allowed him to do more than just be a sweeper in front of the defence. Stock being able to step up with the ball was crucial. It meant that he could hurt the opponents from much more advanced positions.

Wilson actually played that role on Saturday, better than I've ever seen him do before. My grouse with his inclusion previously has been that he's effectively been holding Stock's hand, and we've ended up on the back foot in midfield as a result. But on Saturday, he had a far more positive forward role than we usually see.

It's a role that is a bit more risk-taking than his normal game. It inevitably results in some mis-placed passes and some moves breaking down, but you take that as part of the deal, part of the gamble. I for one will not blame Wilson for that. Green and Spicer both had moves regularly breaking down through them, but the flip side was that when they got it right, we had the ability to drive the opponents back and hit them from dangerous positions instead of fannying about inside our own half with meaningless possession. We've seen for three years that if you play it softly-softly to the nth degree and don't take any chances with possession, it simply does not work. Stock can do that holding role on his own. We absolutely must have the rest of the midfield predominantly looking forwards to support our lone striker, and opening up space in front of Stock. Our entire game plan revolves around the midfield doing those two things. If we do them well, Sharp and Stock are good enough to destroy most sides in this division. If Wilson could reproduce Saturday's performance on a regular basis, then I'd be delighted to see him in the side doing just that job.

Wello

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2010, 11:10:45 pm by Wello »
Fair points pal

If SOD's going to keep one up top most games we are soon going to need more balance a left footer who can deliver a ball when Billy or whoever lays it off and makes a bust into the danger areas.

Other thing why does Copps stop running when defenders get around him, hes that quick n skillfull defenders will knock him over and foul him more, he should just drive at full backs and centre halfs all day long.

Billy must be a patient guy because he doesnt get much support at all, if we could find some support for him, we would be contenders for the playoffs no doubt, too late now but lets hope we can sign billy and we find him some support next yr. Brooker?? hahahahhaa prone. Please football league pay him off.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2010, 12:13:01 am by Filo »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Wello wrote:
Without doubt Stock is different gravy compared to most, i rate him highly, but I must say his work rate isnt as great as most midfielders, but never the less hes still quality. But the bug bare for me is, that When Wilson plays stocky sits to deep to pick up the ball and in reasent times stocky isnt an attacking threat. Is Wilson's lack of pace and qaulity in Stocksy mind why he sits so deep?

Good points.

Not many people would argue that our two best extended runs of form under O'Driscoll were Xmas-end of season 07-08 and the same period 08-09.

In both periods, we had a player in midfield who would drive the opposition back by the threat of buccaneering runs from the middle of the park. Green in our promotion season, Spicer last year. In both periods, the inclusion of that player meant that we had a midfield system that afforded Stock some breathing space and allowed him to do more than just be a sweeper in front of the defence. Stock being able to step up with the ball was crucial. It meant that he could hurt the opponents from much more advanced positions.

Wilson actually played that role on Saturday, better than I've ever seen him do before. My grouse with his inclusion previously has been that he's effectively been holding Stock's hand, and we've ended up on the back foot in midfield as a result. But on Saturday, he had a far more positive forward role than we usually see.

It's a role that is a bit more risk-taking than his normal game. It inevitably results in some mis-placed passes and some moves breaking down, but you take that as part of the deal, part of the gamble. I for one will not blame Wilson for that. Green and Spicer both had moves regularly breaking down through them, but the flip side was that when they got it right, we had the ability to drive the opponents back and hit them from dangerous positions instead of fannying about inside our own half with meaningless possession. We've seen for three years that if you play it softly-softly to the nth degree and don't take any chances with possession, it simply does not work. Stock can do that holding role on his own. We absolutely must have the rest of the midfield predominantly looking forwards to support our lone striker, and opening up space in front of Stock. Our entire game plan revolves around the midfield doing those two things. If we do them well, Sharp and Stock are good enough to destroy most sides in this division. If Wilson could reproduce Saturday's performance on a regular basis, then I'd be delighted to see him in the side doing just that job.

Spot on! just as I see it as well!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012