Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:59:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stumbled across a solution  (Read 1224 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Stumbled across a solution
« on October 24, 2021, 09:45:42 am by Branton Rover »
With Tommy going off injured yesterday we switched young Joseph Olowu to left back and he was highly impressive, using his close ball control to press forward at times. I hope he is retained at left back this will enable TR to play further forward where he’s much more effective & with Cam John shortly to return to fitness there’s cover at centre back too. A word of praise for young Matt Smith who replaced Tommy in a like for like change, thought he had a really good game - he’s not as physically strong as Rowe but has more legs to get around the pitch

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
Re: Stumbled across a solution
« Reply #1 on October 24, 2021, 10:38:57 am by Janso »
I could be wrong but I don't think Rowe was ever at left back yesterday. I'm sure it was a back 3 with Galbraith dropping in at RB at times.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 24, 2021, 10:41:14 am by Filo »
I could be wrong but I don't think Rowe was ever at left back yesterday. I'm sure it was a back 3 with Galbraith dropping in at RB at times.

Correct, Galbraith was also allowed plenty of freedom to roam around the pitch

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 24, 2021, 10:44:04 am by GazLaz »
Honestly lads, don’t get too carried away with yesterday. We improved slightly because the front three was stronger than it has been for most of the season. Dodoo is far better than Cuker down the middle. They had some great chances and the result could have been very different.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 24, 2021, 10:58:26 am by Colin C No.3 »
Yes, but it wasn’t though was it.

The team know we can score goals now (we never score from corners!) & yes Alfie hit the bar & their penalty was poor but we got the win we desperately needed.

If we’d lost then by all means post negativity till the cows come home but enjoy an important win for chr**ts sake.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 24, 2021, 10:59:56 am by Branton Rover »
I’m not getting carried away I’m merely suggesting playing Oluwo at left back allows Tommy Rowe to perform further forward and we may have stumbled across a formula that could work.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 24, 2021, 11:22:10 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
We were 3 nil up yesterday and actually were lucky to actually not lose the match. We've stumbled on nothing other than the realization that if we don't start defending properly and stop giving easy goals to our opponents then we will be in League 2 next season.

A quarter of a season in and we still cannot defend consistently or reliably and are prone to giving away penalties and soft goals.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:24:50 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 24, 2021, 11:47:51 am by i_ateallthepies »
They made two great chances early on, both of which would have been put away by better teams.  Our lamentable defending really does need to improve, it will be a long way into the season before confidence is high enough to come from behind.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 24, 2021, 12:14:20 pm by sha66y »
We were 3 nil up yesterday and actually were lucky to actually not lose the match. We've stumbled on nothing other than the realization that if we don't start defending properly and stop giving easy goals to our opponents then we will be in League 2 next season.

A quarter of a season in and we still cannot defend consistently or reliably and are prone to giving away penalties and soft goals.

Yes that is what happened, but break it down!
We scored 3 goals, 2 of which came from attacking players which is a bonus
We conceded 2 goals but didn’t lose…so something to learn from….

By all means be negative in your praise but at least look for the positives, or you’ll end up being a since-1969 type of supporter who manages to find more wrong in a right!

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 24, 2021, 12:26:02 pm by Move DRFC »
The defending at setpieces is embarrassing and has been for ages. I’ve said it before but Paul Gerrard either needs to stick to the goalkeeper coaching or be sacked.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 24, 2021, 12:35:17 pm by Draytonian III »
If the set piece/goalkeeper coach tells players who to mark up and track in the box at a set piece and the player doesn’t do it correctly who’s fault is it  ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 24, 2021, 03:08:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
They made two great chances early on, both of which would have been put away by better teams.  Our lamentable defending really does need to improve, it will be a long way into the season before confidence is high enough to come from behind.

This.

It was great to see us with something of a cutting edge yesterday and the win was vital. But we could  very easily have been two down before we scored and even from 3-0 we almost contrived to chuck it away.

Small positive overall yesterday and you'd be a fool not to take that, but we need a lot more if we are going to have genuinely turned the corner.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 24, 2021, 04:57:48 pm by sha66y »

This.

It was great to see us with something of a cutting edge yesterday and the win was vital. But we could  very easily have been two down before we scored and even from 3-0 we almost contrived to chuck it away.

Small positive overall yesterday and you'd be a fool not to take that, but we need a lot more if we are going to have genuinely turned the corner.

We haven’t turned…….we are slowly turning!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012