Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:23:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: just back from Bramall Lane  (Read 6927 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: just back from Bramall Lane
« Reply #30 on September 19, 2012, 01:56:31 pm by Wellred »
I'm not convinced by this "we don't need to entertain as long as we get results" argument, surely we're trying to convince people to come to the Keepmoat and part with their hard earned cash, people won't come to watch boring hoofball. Prime example was last night when you could have watched Real Madrid play some stunning football for a grand total of £0. We need to entertain or the floating fans will just do something else.

I'm not sure how long you have been watching rovers but I would guess not too long.
The Doncaster public will come out to watch a winning team. It doesn't matter about the way the team plays. It is winning that matters.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 19, 2012, 02:20:51 pm by The Red Baron »
I'm not convinced by this "we don't need to entertain as long as we get results" argument, surely we're trying to convince people to come to the Keepmoat and part with their hard earned cash, people won't come to watch boring hoofball. Prime example was last night when you could have watched Real Madrid play some stunning football for a grand total of £0. We need to entertain or the floating fans will just do something else.

I'm not sure how long you have been watching rovers but I would guess not too long.
The Doncaster public will come out to watch a winning team. It doesn't matter about the way the team plays. It is winning that matters.

Much as it pains me to say so, as someone who would rather watch entertaining, skilful football, Wellred is correct. If we're top of the table and winning games consistently, the crowds will come, irrespective of which League we're in.

Last night's game was a hard-earned point and featured some admirable defending. The back five (including the 'keeper), Keegan and Brown all deserve great credit for their performances. But it wasn't a great watch, by any means.

I am reminded of the comments of a former top manager (can't recall who, though it could have been Don Revie) who said that it is only important to entertain your home fans, as they are the ones you want to come back. As most people who follow their team away will probably value the result as much as (if not more than) the performance, I dare say that still holds true.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:23:02 pm by The Red Baron »

midlandsrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 19, 2012, 02:31:09 pm by midlandsrover »
Unfortunately I missed last nights match but speaking to a couple of friends who are Blades fans and went to the game, they were impressed with Bennett.

Just goes to show how opinions can differ when watched from a different perspective!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 19, 2012, 04:19:56 pm by donnievic »
Unfortunately I missed last nights match but speaking to a couple of friends who are Blades fans and went to the game, they were impressed with Bennett.

Just goes to show how opinions can differ when watched from a different perspective!

I think your friends were either blind or had mistaken Bennett for one of our back 4,which is easily done lol

neil grainger

« Reply #34 on September 19, 2012, 05:36:18 pm by neil grainger »
Several Blades fans on their forum also said they were impressed by Bennett (and Cotterill) and I can understand why.

Even though we are highlighting the fact that he could have put in more effort, if you think of some of the turns and runs Bennett made near to the edge of their box, he looked threatening and dangerous.

We probably notice more of what our own players do (or don't do) when they haven't got the ball, whereas the opposing fans notice what they do when they have got it.
In that respect, Bennett caused them some problems even though there was no end product.

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 19, 2012, 07:28:09 pm by keepmoatman »
could,nt make make the game last night , i listened in th the radio .
And i am interested to know what the banter was with Kitson as he warmed up ?
Cant stand the tw@ btw

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 19, 2012, 08:19:03 pm by dickos1 »
He got a bit of abuse, and then he gestured downwards showing we got relegated.
There followed more abuse, he's got rusty hair, w**ker, cheat. Etc etc

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 19, 2012, 08:42:11 pm by keepmoatman »

LOL  quality! thanks for that .

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 20, 2012, 09:19:59 am by bobjimwilly »
I also thought the chants towards anyone and everyone who walked past our end was quality

"Does she take it, does she take it, does she take it up the arse?"

"Who's the w**ker in the suit?"

"What the f*cking hell is that?"

:lol:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 20, 2012, 09:48:11 am by DonnyNoel »
I also thought the chants towards anyone and everyone who walked past our end was quality

"Who's the w**ker in the suit?"

"What the f*cking hell is that?"

I still get misty eyed for the "John John John" chant at OBV whenever a St John's Ambulance worker would walk by....

neil grainger

« Reply #40 on September 20, 2012, 01:14:40 pm by neil grainger »

Hmmmm.... I must be getting old because I found that quite offensive and I felt sorry for those girls who had that chanted at them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 20, 2012, 01:17:00 pm by RedJ »

quite ironic considering the fact that he did too, even more so since he had to stay in this division even after leaving Pompey cos no f**ker wanted him above

Bob - you missed "your coat's too big for you" :P

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 21, 2012, 12:04:54 am by RoversAlias »
I felt sorry for the girl who had "does she take it up the arse" chanted at her. She looked mortified :lol:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 21, 2012, 12:17:00 am by hoolahoop »

Strange I didn't find it amusing either certainly standing next to a lass didn't help either. However the 'rent boy' chants were acceptable imo

Hmmmm.... I must be getting old because I found that quite offensive and I felt sorry for those girls who had that chanted at them.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 21, 2012, 12:17:20 am by jonnydog »
She does though ;)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 21, 2012, 12:08:35 pm by hoolahoop »
She does though ;)

It wasn't THAT funny JD in fact it wasn't funny at all. Where has the real wit and repartee gone ?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 21, 2012, 12:22:38 pm by jonnydog »
IMO opinion it died with Morcambe and Wise. Comedy has never been the same since!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 21, 2012, 12:58:56 pm by RobTheRover »
My favourite popside chant was back in the old Div3 days before the relegation toi the Conf.

The strewards all got numbered orange vests one year, and the chant of "Steward6, Steward6, Steward6" (to the tune of "Going up, going up, going up") would ring out every week....

....which used to confuse Stewart Hicks.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 21, 2012, 01:12:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Strange I didn't find it amusing either certainly standing next to a lass didn't help either. However the 'rent boy' chants were acceptable imo

Me too. Even worse was the 'she's got chlamydia' chant. I'm convinced some of the fans actually get a kick out of chanting it, although some of them probably don't even know what it means. poor show, embarrassing.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 21, 2012, 01:21:27 pm by RobTheRover »
Its a small minority of p!ssed up kids.  They did it at the friendly there last season too.

Martyn1968

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 21, 2012, 01:37:27 pm by Martyn1968 »
I agree. Felt sorry for the young kids just doing their job. No need for stuff like that, pretty embarrassing in my opinion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012