Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:00:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chesterfield's Sam Hird...  (Read 1969 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Chesterfield's Sam Hird...
« on September 19, 2012, 04:41:55 pm by Red Rover »
http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=41670

Sounds like they are still undecided on him. Think they fancy him as a centre midfielder, not centre back...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Chesterfield's Sam Hird...
« Reply #1 on September 19, 2012, 04:48:59 pm by RedJ »
he did look handy there v I think Pompey t'other season

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 19, 2012, 07:00:43 pm by The Beast »
Simply not good enough, never has been. Not big enough, fast enough or strong enough for centre half and not a good enough footballer to play in midfield. Always gave his all though and versatile as a back-up player but if he'd played for us last night we'd have probably got beat.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 19, 2012, 07:15:38 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Never did rate him whilst he was here

He's never looked like a footballer anyway

God knows how he's a centre half he's not big enough

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 19, 2012, 07:52:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
When you compare him to what he was replaced with can anyone really say that he's strong enough aerially to be a centre half?  I prefferred him actually in front of the back 4, he's not strong enough to be a centre half but with a bit of improvement passing wise would be a good midfielder I think.

pubteam

« Reply #5 on September 19, 2012, 08:12:38 pm by pubteam »
I thought he was alright for us, but vastly overrated by some on here. He had the odd outstanding game here and there, but the fact that he was in and out of the side under two different managers illustrates his inconsistency.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 19, 2012, 08:14:50 pm by DonnyNoel »
They say you don't know what you've got til its gone although in this case I mean it in a positive way. At first I thought we'd miss Hird for both ability and versatility (I don't buy this midfielder thing though - he was poor when tried there many a time barring one game) but to echo what someone said in another thread, if we'd had Jones and McCombe last year I think we'd have stayed up.

Pleased that Sam found a club (and the armband) but credit to Saunders for not trying to break the bank to keep him and finding two better replacements.

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 19, 2012, 09:34:18 pm by Red Rover »
It reminds me in a way of, say Manchester United. Someone like Luke Chadwick, looked ok in their team, BOOM, end of contract, average in League 2!

I imagine champions league star Ryan Bertrand (aka average forest loanee last season) will become the same kettle of fish

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 20, 2012, 12:16:14 am by DC- »
I'd have given him a go in centre mid. Was a bit crowded there though.

He's still young though. A good centre back is an experienced one; he'll win them round.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 20, 2012, 01:47:30 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I liked Sam Hird. He's a very clever footballer and plays to his strenghts well. I think partnered up with a shithouse at the back he did ok.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 20, 2012, 08:16:34 am by ctay »
I think Ryan Bertrand has loads of potential to step up and replace Ashley Cole in the next couple of years.

Gibbo123

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 20, 2012, 10:09:38 am by Gibbo123 »
Hird is never going to be the dominant cb but I agree played next to a brute (ie the lad trotman) he can be very good. What he lacks in prescience he makes up for in his reading of the game and he is good on the ball. Might just take him a while to adapt to league two as he is and has proved a lot better. If I were a chestefield fan I'd give him time... Can be that bad they have made quite a good start so far!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012